Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 372734 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- We ♥ Puppies!
« Reply #645 on: September 06, 2015, 08:32:58 pm »

I've been twiddling my thumbs. I'm at a loss for what to do with.... Anything. Nothing's  gone right in Trampledlantern (I even tried to let an FB go on a rampage and a macedwarf beat it to death,) I have literally no other stuff to fuck with really that'd get a response, and my urge to draw anything for this fort has been nonexistent thanks to work.

I don't even think I can save this fort or mend the military in its current state when my turn comes around. Just try to steer it towards "Some people not dead or insane when the next guy takes over." I'll leave out my thoughts on how I feel about this predicament.

Did find out there's an Elder Scrolls mod, maybe I can do something with that...

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 07, 2015, 03:03:51 pm »

Sorry for further derailment, but I was also kinda wondering what to do next. I mean, even being busy, I still have some time to spend on Bay forum activity, yet... My Ms Paint adventure isn't really popular now, so I've been thinking about either returning to Blackhold or helping someone out with their new game (especially if it has juicy lore and such)

Or I could probably draw a ton of pictures featuring The Archivist being cute and e-evil at the same time.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:05:34 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

mikethete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 07, 2015, 03:30:03 pm »

Limestone was quite the dreary month, with the only thing of not being a depressed guard finally leaving the mortal coil, poor sod.

Sandstone

17th Sandstone- It was brought to my attention that the Humans have still not left the depot, they only thought it convenient to leave when the depot fell around them
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

19th Sandstone- After all the death we have experienced, the crypts are getting full. I had the foresight to start and expansion last season and it has paid off.

Timber

12th Timber- The yearly Caravan from the mountainhomes has arrived.

22nd Timber- Blast it! Snatchers and a bloody ambush. good thing goblins are not the brightest creatures and the snatchers have gotten trapped in our cage traps. The ambush, however is a different story

23rd Timber- The ambush managed to kill 6 dwarves ((First time dealing with an ambush, my bad))

Moonstone

5th Moonstone- Sent some mugs as a gift to the mountainhomes.

18th Moonstone- It has occurred to me that I lacked a tomb, I sent the miners to rectify that situation

22nd Moonstone- One of our fisherdwarves has apparently gone silent and locked himself inside a Craftdwarf's workshop

Opal

1st Opal- As I walked by the workshops I could hear the Fisherdwarf working furiously on something

5th Opal- The Fisherdwarf emerges from the workshop holding up a throne made of what appears to be bone.

22nd Opal- Word has reached me that my tomb is finally finished, I had 2 statues of Splint placed in the tomb as well.

23rd Opal- I was walking by the jail cells when I heard the distinctive babbling of Mr Frog, who apparently angered the mayor for some reason or another.

Obsidian

5th Obsidian- Word has reached me that the goblin prisoners have been placed into the gas chambers for future use.

10th Obsidian- I've drafted a few fisherdwarves and herders  into our hammer squad.

13th Obsidian- Our former mayor and current Marksdwarf ((who I replaced with crashmaster due to him being in the military and bugging out the liason)) decided to run right into the mist, fool managed to injure two of our new hammerdwarves

17th Obsidian- I was awoken by the squawking of our watch bird having sighted an ambush, this time the military was ready and the ambush ran off.

19th Obsidian- Another ambush was sighted today, I managed to chase them off after giving some of them some new holes.

So overall the population of the fort is still fine, the monarch should be arriving soon, and morale is a lot higher then when I started.

Save is here http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11117

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 07, 2015, 04:41:02 pm »

WOw. My expectation of complete disaster was... Actually not true? That's legit surprising.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 07, 2015, 05:16:59 pm »

Sorry for further derailment, but I was also kinda wondering what to do next. I mean, even being busy, I still have some time to spend on Bay forum activity, yet... My Ms Paint adventure isn't really popular now, so I've been thinking about either returning to Blackhold or helping someone out with their new game (especially if it has juicy lore and such)

Or I could probably draw a ton of pictures featuring The Archivist being cute and e-evil at the same time.

Well obviously I'm a sucker for fanart so you know what my answer is

E: Fuck, forgot to message Taupe. Gonna go do that.

E2: Also, in all seriousness... @Monitor_Lisard, I think you should keep at it with the MS Paint adventure, at least for a bit. It's still new and while I don't quite know how these things usually go, it might just take a while to pick up steam.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:06:34 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 08, 2015, 10:25:47 am »

I'm still busy with Murderflood at the moment. When I was skipped previously I started a 2-week long illustrated turn which is still taking much of my free time. I can't jump into anything else right now. Not until next week, at which point It'll be Doomforests time. Basically every fort I signed up for over the last year are converging within a 3 week timespawn, and that's something I couldn't have foreseen. Sorry :(

Probably best to dump me at the bottom of the list, in case the fort still survives by then.

Also:

Just keep working on it. If you wait for fans and interest before adding more, you'll never go anywhere. It's the other way around. If you stay active and build upon your story, eventually people will notice and share what they've enjoyed. Nobody's going to stay around waiting for more fans to amass before the story continues, nor are they going to bring their friends to the thread to watch two pages of character creation.

If you build, they will come.

And even if it doesn't pick up steam, you'll still be learning and improving. If you're doing it for others rather than yourself, you aren't doing it right.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:35:54 am by Taupe »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 08, 2015, 01:57:21 pm »

Done. Taupe has been bumped to the back of the list as requested.

ImagoDeo doesn't seem super active but I'll still drop him a PM since he's been online in the last couple days. @Splint, will you be okay to do a turn if Imago doesn't respond?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 08, 2015, 02:11:42 pm »

Might as well. I'm switching gears back to DF from Skyrim, so timing's good.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 08, 2015, 04:51:28 pm »

It's been a while since i last posted a journal, so...

The Diary of Mr Frog Thusestdeler, Stoneworker

23 Opal 205

Oh, Mr. Diary! I finally found you after so long! Turns out you were in my back pocket this whole time. SILLY ME.

The good news is, we're not dead, and I'm still a hero! YAY! The bad news is that the other dwarves chained me to a stake for some reason. Apparently the mayor didn't like it when I challenged him to a sword-fight in the middle of the dining hall, so he had me thrown in here! That's not how you handle a knightly challenge AT ALL!! My ankle's starting to chafe a bit, but I'll only be here a few more months, probably. I guess I can just chop it off and run free if I get bored. ...Hey, if I chop off both my ankles, they won't be able to tie me to anything! There's an idea!

The cell's nice enough. There's only a few weird smears on the walls, and they even have a bed and a little water dish near my restraint! I can pretend I'm a kitty!! MEOW!!

24 Opal 205

I asked one of the guards and apparently they'll just put the shackle on one of my wrists if I have no ankles. Maybe I should chop them off, too!

UPDATE: Okay, so I thought it through and I don't think that idea would work. If I only had one hand left, what would I hold the hacksaw in while I chopped it off!? Also, I asked the guard for a hacksaw and apparently they aren't allowed to give me a hacksaw, which is a bit of a problem because if I don't have a hacksaw what will I cut my limbs off with??? You can't cut limbs off with a butter knife! That's not what they're for!!! All the other dwarves will laugh at me!!!!!

27 Opal 205

I learned the name of the guard who wouldn't give me a hacksaw. It's Logem! She even remembers my name, too! She's all, "Stop your Tumam-damned babbling, Mr Frog, before I MAKE it stop!!" Do you think I have a chance with her, Mr. Diary?? I know soldiers like heroic types, and I'm pretty sure I fit the bill!!! Pickaxes and warhammers are practically the same thing, right??

5 Obsidian 205

I have so much free time down here, so I've decided to invent a new sort of music! I don't know anything about music, though, so first I'm going to learn that! I think I can get a good beat going with these chains... I'll ask Logem how it's coming along!

7 Obsidian 205

[there are a couple small drops of blood on the page]
Logem doesn't seem to like my music. I'm sorry, Logem! I'll try harder, for you!!

10 Obsidian 205

Logem isn't punching me to stop my music anymore -- she doesn't seem bothered by it at all, actually! Yay!!! Maybe I can be a music hero, too! I call this new genre of music, CHAIN METAL!!! It's like death metal, but with more chains! AND SCREAMING!!!

12 Obsidian 205

Mr Diary!!! I saw Logem pulling some funny fluffy things out of her ears at the end of her shift!! SHE'S A GIANT STUFFED TOY! I KNEW IT! I guess things aren't going to work out between us after all

NO. Mr Frog, don't give up! You may be a dwarven hero, and she may be an enormous plush doll animated through some foul heathen sorceries, but you must find a way to make things work! You MUST!! There is no sacrifice too great, no obstacle too tall in the face of LOVE! I will sing twice as loud, in order to let my beloved know that I still accept her!!

17 Obsidian 205

I heard the security turkey squawking! Maybe it can hear my music?? We should sing together sometime!!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:03:05 pm by Mr Frog »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 09, 2015, 11:09:09 pm »

Now is a terribly bad time for me. I got back to school about two and a half weeks ago, and I'm presently under several major deadlines. Can we push my turn back one space? My sincerest apologies. I had kind of expected things to happen a lot faster and for my turn to show up before summer ended.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 09, 2015, 11:23:36 pm »

Now is a terribly bad time for me. I got back to school about two and a half weeks ago, and I'm presently under several major deadlines. Can we push my turn back one space? My sincerest apologies. I had kind of expected things to happen a lot faster and for my turn to show up before summer ended.

Okiedokie. I'll PM Splint.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 10, 2015, 12:07:39 am »

Got it, I'll nab the save and try to get started tonight, but I foresee a tough day at work today so it may have to wait until tomorrow.

Have the save, if I don't start tonight, I will tomorrow. Just wanna relax right now.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 11, 2015, 11:11:54 am »

Okiedokie. I'll PM Splint.

Thanks a bunch. Again, I'm sorry for having to delay this more than it's already been delayed.

I've been lurking in the thread for a while now since my death in-game. I haven't had time or inclination to post journals, although I did work on one before my dorf got killed. It's been interesting to watch the development of external events and characters despite the busyness I've encountered in that weird place we call Real Life.

Spoiler: Rambling (click to show/hide)
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 11, 2015, 08:24:13 pm »

Clobbermountains. The name alone evoked only the image of a hillside volcano beset by "The Cloud," as most of its residents call it, though scholars prefer the term "Seething Mist," and the flashpoint of three terrible wars. It was also a place haunted by the dead, and where some would never be properly buried.

As the fortress deepest in enemy territory, it had no hope of peace: The enemy, comprised of the witch-women of the swamps, kobolds, greenskins, and abominations, had no reason to hold back and smash this bastation. Surely, if it fell, then The Torrid Lash would be the plaything of one, or even all of them. No heroes to stop them.

However, these things were oddly of no concern to the people of Clobbermountains. As skirmishes and small battles were waged around them, they went about thier days. Someone noted there wasn't a safe place to hurl slain foes and dead livestock they couldn't butcher for whatever reason into the volcano for disposal, and so a way to do so was dug out, and a dwarf named Sibrek Tradesquirts was assigned to work as the new manager (replacing someone who had likely held the post before, but nobody recalled.)

In fact, nobody knew who had even given her the job, or who had marked out the dig maps for the miners. Mikethete around the same time enacted her right as Militia Commander and renamed her squad: As of the 10th of Granite, hers would be Buffalo Squad (after the water buffalo she enjoys see wallow in water.)

In the meantime, Crashmaster mandated the production of shields. He didn't seem to mind what the material was,m but he felt that the militia might need some more of the lighter, locally produced ones. Additionally, what few adult dogs remained were trained for battle, and Pisskop enforced a removal of the Planter Jeff from his manor. He contested the removal, demanding to know why he'd been "dragged out by Erib's own stupid goons," and was stunned to see a very sternly worded letter from the King himself regarding reports of "pretender" nobility.

Additionally, a second leader was read aloud to the whole of the fortress.

"To the dwarven nation of The Torrid Lash

Long have we endured the constant looming threat of the banshee and greenskin menace, and my General has reported that they have finally begun encroaching on our lands in force. As such, I feel it my duty as your king to do what my forebearers would have me do, and take to the field against these foul enemies myself; mine is the hammer that will shatter the skulls of thier warlords, and mine is the hammer that will reforge our nation from one of complacent weaklings to one of fierce warriors.

To you people of the frontiers, brave dwarves all, banish your fear! For it will not be long before you see the banners of the Interrior Guard marching past to crush those who would do us harm, your High King leading them.

Signed,
His Gaudiness, Erib Catchtowns"

All were understandably stunned. What would possess the King to do such a thing?

Okay, so a small update. It is currently very late granite, and little of note has happened.

I did some digging for a new trash disposal area (there's no safe places to chuck debris from available thanks to the Cloud-exposed platform,) got us a manager (new or not, I have no idea,) renamed Mikethete's squad in honor of water buffalo for which she has a preference, and ejected Jeff from his manor as I said I would. Pisskop is also not baron or anything, which confused the hell out of me based on the updates, but she is now our first elite marksdwarf and has been Captain of the Guard.

I also did some legends diving and found the Erib has taken to the battlefield a whopping 51 times. 6 Of these are major battles (5 of which he took part in prior to his mother's death,) while 45 were relatively unimportant raids and skirmishes that he nonetheless felt he was required ot take part in. The last of these major battles was The Furious Clashes. King Erib also possesses a stunning skill at tracking (he's a Great Tracker,) leading me to assume he is a forward scout, which is quite the dangerous job indeed. He is also, rather surprisingly, and adequate siege engineer, leading me to believe he also has a very active hand in organizing the defense of the Capital and its surrounding communities and has a very militant mindset, as the only things he's good at are beating people to death with a hammer, tracking said people down so he can beat them to death, and killing people with large machinery. He also has a single kill, a goblin-raised elf maceman, which leads me to believe he is unafraid of fighting up close.

This seems to run in the family, as while his mother didn't take part in manning ballistae or helping fortify walls, she was a medic in addition to being queen and macedwarf. Queen Urvad also took part in a series of wars against the Witch-women of the Dimpled Swamps, and every single invasion ended in disaster, with the last battle she took part in having a similar outcome for the dwarven army as well (and was the last major war before Erib took over as King.) Erib also seemed to have either refused or more likely, not been allowed, to take part in the Banshee Wars (which is unsurprising given the dwarven body count.)

The dwarves employed, in addition to nearly 1000 of thier own warriors (among them King Erib himself,) 11 turncoat goblins, 9 freaking spawn of holistic, and 130 banshees. More than half the army was wiped out in a costly victory that obliterated the defenders, but cost the Lash 1100 out of a little over 1700 (only dwarves survived, so it's possible any errant nondwarves were discreetly... Excised, after the battle was over and simply added to the casualty roster.)

Anyway, I took the fact he's a hammerdwarf and ran with it as you can see, in addition to him enacting a purge of sorts to rid The Lash of "false" leaders and nobles. Jeff was perhaps one of the lucky few who didn't get executed...

I'll try to do at least one month a day, if not a season.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 11, 2015, 10:21:44 pm »

Surely, if it fell, then The Torrid Lash would be the plaything of one, or even all of them. No heroes to stop them.

Lol, we're not that important. At all. We're more of a clerical error/possible bureaucratic sabotage that His Gaudiness is too pig-headed to go back on. Like, from a logical standpoint, our fort is rather-stupidly located (literally directly inside enemy territory with no friendly sites for miles) and so isn't going to impede enemy advances or really do much besides offend the banshees.

Also... oh, dear. It looks like His Gaudiness's days are numbered. I forgot the King can emigrate to the fortress, hehehe. This is probably the Archivist's doing. Perhaps I should write something related to this.

E: Also, there's no need to go super-quickly, lol. In particular, kinda want to have time to write something before your next update. I do appreciate your punctuality, however.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:32:18 pm by Mr Frog »

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 140