Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 377301 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- We ♥ Puppies!
« Reply #660 on: September 11, 2015, 10:31:05 pm »

Surely, if it fell, then The Torrid Lash would be the plaything of one, or even all of them. No heroes to stop them.

Lol, we're not that important. At all. We're more of a clerical error/possible bureaucratic sabotage that His Gaudiness is too pig-headed to go back on. Like, from a logical standpoint, our fort is rather-stupidly located (literally directly inside enemy territory with no friendly sites for miles) and so isn't going to impede enemy advances or really do much besides offend the banshees.

Also... oh, dear. It looks like His Gaudiness's days are numbered. I forgot the King can emigrate to the fortress, hehehe. This is probably the Archivist's doing. Perhaps I should write something related to this.

It could very well lead to some discreet observations. If the King wants to attack the spawn lands, or the banshees, or at least pursue them if they flee after a major battle, he'd need to know the lay of the land, and the danger this jungle poses. Sending a few colonists in there and keeping them supplied over the years is a very low-cost way of withnessing the effects of the cursed jungle mist clouds, and how dwarves can react/defends against/use it. If he truly has a militaristic mindset, and likes to plan his battles, then the details of a zombie-creating jungle between him and his major opponents is definitely something he'd want to learn about. Claiming it was a clerical error is then just a clever way of not alerting the civilians to their purpose.

it's also a good way to get data about spawn movement outside their main bases, their numbers, and their tactics when dealing with our settlements. If the settlement DOES manage to endure and prosper in these conditions, then suddenly he has a stronghold he can use to start an inv cleansing into southern territory, with a well established supply route.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:33:23 pm by Taupe »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 11, 2015, 10:49:57 pm »

[-McSnip-]

It could very well lead to some discreet observations. If the King wants to attack the spawn lands, or the banshees, or at least pursue them if they flee after a major battle, he'd need to know the lay of the land, and the danger this jungle poses. Sending a few colonists in there and keeping them supplied over the years is a very low-cost way of withnessing the effects of the cursed jungle mist clouds, and how dwarves can react/defends against/use it. If he truly has a militaristic mindset, and likes to plan his battles, then the details of a zombie-creating jungle between him and his major opponents is definitely something he'd want to learn about. Claiming it was a clerical error is then just a clever way of not alerting the civilians to their purpose.

it's also a good way to get data about spawn movement outside their main bases, their numbers, and their tactics when dealing with our settlements. If the settlement DOES manage to endure and prosper in these conditions, then suddenly he has a stronghold he can use to start an inv cleansing into southern territory, with a well established supply route.

A civilian settlement would be a terrible idea for a scouting outpost (in my unprofessional opinion). It's putting civilians, most of which have families back in the main... empire... place-thingy in danger and, at best, will lead to unnecessary work for the Royal Archivist to cover the Royal Family's ass when they inevitably all die. A dedicated scouting garrison would have been far-better and also much easier to keep concealed from enemy detection, and also easier to evacuate in case of emergency, and finally less costly if everything goes bad and they all die.

Also, if we want to split hairs, the jungle does not create "zombies" (I actually turned off ALL random regional interactions so as to make the mist more likely to show up :V  I'm a cheater). I'm pretty sure you meant mutants, though, and it's fairly-irrelevant to the main point of contention here, so blurble :V

E: please let this not turn into a drama please let this not turn into a drama please let this not turn into a drama

E2: Work has been started on a story piece! Here is a sample:

Spoiler: LE SAMPLE (click to show/hide)

E3: Just as a small bit of commentary/possible discussion piece, I think this next one will be the last thing I write to feature the Royal Archivist, at least for a while, as I feel that I've been centering things too much on her and she'd probably be better in small doses.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:21:24 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 12, 2015, 02:25:00 am »

[arrives fifteen weeks late with Starbucks]

Well, this fort seems to be going... well enough~

May I please request a dorfing and a turn?
Dwarf: Zetta - female - armorer and/or mechanic, if possible

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 12, 2015, 02:39:36 am »

[arrives fifteen weeks late with Starbucks]

Well, this fort seems to be going... well enough~

May I please request a dorfing and a turn?
Dwarf: Zetta - female - armorer and/or mechanic, if possible

Done.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 12, 2015, 02:47:46 am »

It seems that kings and queens of Torrid Lash were all fighting men, and the stern ones. King Erib does not suffice with being a mere "Ruler of Stability and Cunning". He yearns for glory. But, unlike his vampire grand-grandmother, he's a strategist. He sends civilians to scout like one could use a puppy to scout a cavern - this mission was kept secret from everyone, even from the Archivist herself. Yes, everyone thinks of it as a simple clerical error, but it is not.

On the other note, I'd still like to see more stories featuring the Archivist.  :P
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 12, 2015, 03:14:04 am »

It seems that kings and queens of Torrid Lash were all fighting men, and the stern ones. King Erib does not suffice with being a mere "Ruler of Stability and Cunning". He yearns for glory. But, unlike his vampire grand-grandmother, he's a strategist. He sends civilians to scout like one could use a puppy to scout a cavern - this mission was kept secret from everyone, even from the Archivist herself. Yes, everyone thinks of it as a simple clerical error, but it is not.

On the other note, I'd still like to see more stories featuring the Archivist.  :P

There will be, I promise. I just don't want her to end up becoming some obnoxious Mary Sue that absolutely everything revolves around. I'm just going to take some focus off her for a bit and come back to her when she's had a bit of a rest.

And... gah, now that I'm less salty I honestly really want the Lash to have some ulterior motive to founding Clobbermountains, but I legitimately cannot think of any motive they could have that couldn't have been satisfied with an obviously-better and less-convoluted alternative (and that's taking into account the fact that Erib is a moron and the Archivist is a massive troll). Like, even if it's technically-possible, none of it really tastes right in my mouth, if that makes sense. You are absolutely correct, though, in interpreting Erib as a man who seeks glory.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 12, 2015, 04:48:58 pm »

I beg to differ on our importance (now that we haven't been killed horribly while our population was around 30.) There's 134 dorfs here, which a fair-sized lesser settlement, and a decently productive one at that. And has managed to piss off literally every common enemy the country has had. Puts it into historically important, if nothing else.

So bask in your newfound importance Clobbermountains! A dumbass who wrote the wrong map coordinates down has secured your place in history.

EDIT: Gonna try to get another month done tonight, but I have plans. Of the sort that involve modding skyrim to include a crusader from Mercia that was tossed into a new dimension for refusing the advances of a genie.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 12, 2015, 05:40:29 pm »

I beg to differ on our importance (now that we haven't been killed horribly while our population was around 30.) There's 134 dorfs here, which a fair-sized lesser settlement, and a decently productive one at that. And has managed to piss off literally every common enemy the country has had. Puts it into historically important, if nothing else.

So bask in your newfound importance Clobbermountains! A dumbass who wrote the wrong map coordinates down has secured your place in history.

Hahaha. Fair enough.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 12, 2015, 07:34:00 pm »

I would just like to say this place looks and feels like a complete fucking disaster area. I don't even know if the gate control is still in place.

Past the housing blocks (which look like they haven't been expanded since my last turn,) I can't figure out anything. And much of what's outside the housing area I also can't make anything of.

Update for Slate coming soon.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 12, 2015, 08:14:14 pm »

Life continued in Clobbermountains as normal. Topside restrictions were lifted so trees could be harvested and the trash tunnel dug, and as soon as it was opened, the remains of the many slain foes of the land were looted of anything of remote value and their bodies became part of a long train of corpses being unceremoniously pitched into the volcano, though some escaped disposal because nobody knew which lever controlled anything anymore.

Even prisoners were not spared, the greenskins chucked in screaming and desperately trying to not fall in, to no avail, as skin blistered, muscle melted, and bone dissolved in the earth's blood, and the dwarves celebrated their demise alongside two births in late Granite.

As Slate began, most found themselves preoccupied. Dozens of corpses had to be disposed of, hundreds of bits of old battle salvage had to be processed, and old glass purchases and less desirable stones had to be cut and set. The dead were also disinterred, though only long enough to ensure all had proper headstones, in addition to courtesy graves; the fact most spawn spoke a raspy and hard to understand form od dwarven didn't help things, as many carcasses did have some sort of identification on their remains: Crudely fashioned stone tags, similar to the copper ones given to the soldiers of The Torrid Lash should they die in the field.

As the month passed, most believed migrants would never come to the place again, after all of the death and the assurance of spawn attack. But then, they saw them. in the wake of a group of migrants arriving from a demolished hillock to the north, all were amazed.

Banners of deep blue, with green and gold borders, depicting a mighty Larch tree, the symbol of The Torrid Lash.

His Gaudiness had come as his letter stated, and though he andhis entourage looked worse for wear, bloodied and tired, the King still held himself with intimidating manner and upon entering the gates, demanded four things: Who his "Page" would be, where his rooms were, where his new hammer was (although he also added he wouldn't mind a mace if made well,) and why wasn't there a suit of adamantine armor waiting for him.

Crashmaster, the acting mayor, apologized profusely and directed him to Jeff's recently repossessed manor. King Erib scoffed at all but the throne room, and Crashmaster promissed the lack of quality would be rectified with engravings and new furniture as quickly as possible and that he would find the best weaponsmith he could to forge a mace of silver for him, and would try to get the miners to harvest enough adamantine for a distinctive suit of armor, with more to be dug out if at all possible for his honor guard.

And so, as of mid-Slate, Clobbermountains officially became recognized as the capital of The Torrid Lash. While there was much grumbling among his entourage (particularly a somewhat scrawney dwarf with large black glasses, and his wife Tobul,) Erib simply declared loudly as a cloud of mist passed in the distance:

"Let them come. Let them all come! That we may show our forebearers we are worthy of the name dwarf!"

Most considered King Erib completely insane for coming here. Including the migrants. Some also had hoped The Cloud would swallow him and his ilk as they approached the gates, but this sadly didn't happen.

Alright, so little baby update for tonight. First time I've ever gotten the "Despite the danger" message, so commercially we must actually be producing more than most major fortresses back east combined.

We're the Capital! I've decided to make the most of King Erib's skills, and stick his butt in his very own Honorguard unit (he can't lead squads himself due to monarch restrictions,) with his own resplendent suit of adamantine armor and the finest silver mace I can manage to produce, as he likes maces.

We also had a couple births, I chucked some prisoners into the fires of the earth for lulz, and became thoroughly confused by the way the place looks.

It's only midslate, but I felt the king arriving warranted a short update, which, frankly I didn't anticipate.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 12, 2015, 08:21:44 pm »

Grats!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 12, 2015, 09:04:59 pm »

So the Archivist's moved to Clobbermountains, too? Gahhhhhhhh. This fucks up everything I had planned.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 12, 2015, 09:08:51 pm »

So the Archivist's moved to Clobbermountains, too? Gahhhhhhhh. This fucks up everything I had planned.

Just set it before the move. Problem solved.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 12, 2015, 09:20:05 pm »

Just set it before the move. Problem solved.

Spoiler: Non-Fort Wank (click to show/hide)

Oh well. C'est la vie. It's not like any of what I wrote was really fort-relevant anyways :V  It was more of a side attraction than anything.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 12, 2015, 10:54:19 pm »

The King? Already?

Wow :O
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 140