Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 377928 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- We ♥ Puppies!
« Reply #675 on: September 13, 2015, 12:48:17 pm »

Progress report: King safely entered the fort with a small honor guard consisting of two axe and two sword masters. Two migrants walked into The Cloud like idiots. A cassowary mutant has killed a migrant hunter. The two mutated migrants have been killed by Mikethete. I misread the calander, and I'm not out of Slate yet.

I sense this is gonna be a long turn.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 13, 2015, 02:42:28 pm »

Progress report: King safely entered the fort with a small honor guard consisting of two axe and two sword masters. Two migrants walked into The Cloud like idiots. A cassowary mutant has killed a migrant hunter. The two mutated migrants have been killed by Mikethete. I misread the calander, and I'm not out of Slate yet.

I sense this is gonna be a long turn.

Please try to keep His Gaudiness out of combat (also please set his nickname to "His Gaudiness" if you haven't already, lol)

E: Also, I figured out how to fix the story piece I was writing and I actually like the new version better, since it involves something actually not going the Royal Archivist's way and her actually briefly losing her composure, which should be quite refreshing. So, uh, thank you Splint for making me step out of my comfort zone. I'm sorry I lost my composure, lol.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:44:11 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 13, 2015, 03:52:39 pm »

Changed his profession to it soon as he arrived, actually.

Considering he has pretty much no other responsibilities  (I think the Mayor meets with everyone,) I was just gonna set him up with his own squad and training space, to just make something vaguely approaching "useful" out of the entitled little shit. Worst I'd send him against without a proper suit of adamantine armor is trogs or what have you in the caverns, well away from The Cloud and most dangers, until he could feasibly hold his own in a fight without his guards pretty much holding his hand.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 13, 2015, 04:08:46 pm »

Considering he has pretty much no other responsibilities  (I think the Mayor meets with everyone,) I was just gonna set him up with his own squad and training space, to just make something vaguely approaching "useful" out of the entitled little shit. Worst I'd send him against without a proper suit of adamantine armor is trogs or what have you in the caverns, well away from The Cloud and most dangers, until he could feasibly hold his own in a fight without his guards pretty much holding his hand.

I'd just rather him be kept out of trouble entirely just to be sure, if that's alright with you.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 13, 2015, 04:14:17 pm »

I'd just rather him be kept out of trouble entirely just to be sure, if that's alright with you.

Beware those words, for this is Dwarf Fortress, and you know what that means, especially under the fickle whims of the jerkiest of gods. And gods of delicious jerky.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 13, 2015, 04:16:52 pm »

Beware those words, for this is Dwarf Fortress, and you know what that means, especially under the fickle whims of the jerkiest of gods. And gods of delicious jerky.

Oh, no, I am fully aware that trouble will inevitably come and find His Gaudiness regardless of whether he comes to look for it, lol. It'll be funny if he gets banshee-screeched and has to spend a month in the Common Hospital with the Common Folk and their Common Filth. Or somehow ends up outside and gets his stupid ass misted (oh man I am actually actively hoping for that now hahaha*)

*No, that doesn't mean go and do it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 13, 2015, 04:21:44 pm »

Y'know it's weird, that actually seems like it'd be the one thing he wouldn't have a problem with, what with having been a soldier in a largely west European medieval fantasy setting (which means he's likely been around the horrid mess that is essentially middle ages army camps for extended periods.)

If anything, he might even consider the hospital here in this place (what with it not having a history of killing its patients by accident) a noticeable step up from that. :P

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 13, 2015, 04:34:25 pm »

Y'know it's weird, that actually seems like it'd be the one thing he wouldn't have a problem with, what with having been a soldier in a largely west European medieval fantasy setting (which means he's likely been around the horrid mess that is essentially middle ages army camps for extended periods.)

If anything, he might even consider the hospital here in this place (what with it not having a history of killing its patients by accident) a noticeable step up from that. :P

But it'll require him to either take off his bling or get it dirty, which is absolutely-intolerable. If he's not a glittering gold disco ball, how will people know he's king!?

I'm ignoring the fact that his actual in-game clothing probably consists of a shirt, shoes, pair of pants, and several hundred earrings made of goblin flesh

E: Also ignoring that I'm pretty sure IRL royalty only really breaks out the full regalia for ceremonial purposes and probably wouldn't wear it casually
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 04:36:29 pm by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 13, 2015, 04:44:28 pm »

But it'll require him to either take off his bling or get it dirty, which is absolutely-intolerable. If he's not a glittering gold disco ball, how will people know he's king!?

I'm ignoring the fact that his actual in-game clothing probably consists of a shirt, shoes, pair of pants, and several hundred earrings made of goblin flesh

E: Also ignoring that I'm pretty sure IRL royalty only really breaks out the full regalia for ceremonial purposes and probably wouldn't wear it casually

Nonsense! Dwarven cleaning technique ensures that any clothing will be clean and shiny during hospital stays!

And I think he has a grizzly bear bone/nail item, but that's it in-game aside from normal clothing (he apparently has also killed a grizzly bear, which means he took out a bear-mounted, metal-clad and wielding elf on his own.) He did however start grabbing up some additional stuff on arrival with the rest of his entourage.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 13, 2015, 05:47:49 pm »

The Archivist getting angry?  Hoo boy.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 13, 2015, 07:47:26 pm »

Is that an actual character that exists in game or just some plot device around which the entire universe was duct-taped? I'm really confused.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 13, 2015, 07:59:37 pm »

Is that an actual character that exists in game or just some plot device around which the entire universe was duct-taped? I'm really confused.

No, I made her up. She was supposed to just be someone responsible for writing the Urist's Handbook thingies but kinda took on a life of her own, which kinda got out of hand (I take it you're not a fan, hahaha). Gonna try to shift some of the out-of-fort wankery away from her for a while specifically because I don't want the entire universe to revolve around her. Lol.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 13, 2015, 08:09:40 pm »

Less that it was duct taped around so much as Mr Frog found a vampire-shaped hole and crammed her in head first. Amazingly enough, she didn't suffer from Extreme Cranial Compression Syndrome when it was found said hole was a bit on the shallow side. Must be the vampire-ness.

A tragedy struck in the wake of migrants arriving. None of them knew the danger of The Cloud, and several had blundered into it, thinking it a freakish fog bank and nothing more: Zulgar encedfight and Vabok Lashfocus were swiftly dispatched by Buffalo Squad. A cassowary was also caught in the bank and a foolish huntress paid for her lack of knowledge of what The Cloud does to its victims, and the bird earned the name "Rainytours" as a result.

Within days, Erib mandated that maces be forbidden from export, citing that he "refused to give away crucial war materials," and Jeff was stripped of his tomb (which was only discovered he was still in possession of when Erib demanded a tomb.) And, of course, a dwarf began to act strangely, secretive even.

But Erib didn't really care. He was more concerned with finding out what the local heraldry was. He seemed pleased by it, claiming it was "fitting."

Meanwhile, it was found a child was very unhappy. Why you may ask? Why, her parents had died on arrival here of course!

Vabok, her father, had been slain by Mikethete after blundering into The Cloud, while her mother Kib had been the victim of the Cloud bird Rainytours. But as Slate neared its conclusion, the smith emerged with a ring in hand, of finest make! Everyone quickly forgot the plight of that child as a result.

On the 5th of Felsite, Agrela Allytower was made executioner at King Erib's order. Pisskop had records showing a swordsdwarf guilty of murder, and Erib demanded justice be dispensed. Nobody recalls if the dwarf was killed or not.

In mid-Felsite however, all would recall when it was engraved: The Banshees come once more!

A nice disjointed update that goes to roughly mid-Felsite. Spring's just about done as a result. We're now under banshee attack, and I'm probably about to send about 2 dozen dwarves to their deaths against two large squads of banshee archers.

We have one pissed dwarf, a kid whose family kinda sorta died, and have a new worthless trinket. Honestly, heart isn't too in it, but maybe I'll enjoy doing the next update some, since I may get to write graphic depictions of horrific bloody battle.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 13, 2015, 08:36:12 pm »

Less that it was duct taped around so much as Mr Frog found a vampire-shaped hole and crammed her in head first. Amazingly enough, she didn't suffer from Extreme Cranial Compression Syndrome when it was found said hole was a bit on the shallow side. Must be the vampire-ness.

Pretty much, although I'm currently writing her as a necromancer. Haven't really given any in-story cues either way, though, besides that there's definitely something not quite right about her. Also... I'm definitely getting the distinct impression that people find her annoying, hahaha. The impending break from her seems well-timed.

It's nice to see the banshees come to pay their respects to His Gaudiness.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 13, 2015, 11:07:46 pm »

I wouldn't say that I find the Archivist annoying, but it will be nice to see what other worldbuilding magic you can pull out of that top hat, Mr Frog~
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 140