Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 372650 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- We ♥ Puppies!
« Reply #750 on: September 22, 2015, 05:50:30 pm »

ImagoDeo has been skipped. A PM has been sent to Crashmaster.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 22, 2015, 06:05:35 pm »

Well that sucks. Now I'm starting to feel bad about bowing out.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 22, 2015, 09:36:59 pm »

Well that sucks. Now I'm starting to feel bad about bowing out.
Well, if you want me to pop you back into the turn list I could just go ahead and stick you before Taupe. Or we could have you pick up where you left off if Crashmaster doesn't show up.

In any case, we've now definitely hit that special time in every succession fort's run where we start hitting people who signed up on impulse early on because ooh new succession fort shiny and don't actually have the energy/enthusiasm/etc. to sit through a turn, so I'd recommend y'all get comfy, 'cuz we'll probably be in for a s l o w ride the next couple game years. *remembers the Spearbreakers Curse and shudders*

If I ever do a succession fort after this, I'll probably only allow a maximum of 3 turns to be reserved in advance, at least until the first few years are done. That should prevent this from happening again.

E: Changed the thread title as per Lolf and Fish's suggestion.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:48:08 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Mind the Clouds :)
« Reply #753 on: September 22, 2015, 09:52:04 pm »

In the meantime, if Crashmaster doesn't take up the mantle, then I'll try to finish out my turn.

I've also sent you and some others something via PM Mr Frog. Some input'd be appreciated.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 22, 2015, 10:03:41 pm »

In the meantime, if Crashmaster doesn't take up the mantle, then I'll try to finish out my turn.

I've also sent you and some others something via PM Mr Frog. Some input'd be appreciated.

I got it, I got it. I'm just not feeling very input-y right now, lol.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 23, 2015, 09:41:19 pm »

Just gonna pop in and say that I've been PM'd by Crash and he's got the save. Apparently he'll commence the playthrough tomorrow. Hopefully.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 24, 2015, 11:19:39 pm »

Just gonna pop in again and remind Crash to please keep us updated and stay in touch. To restate what's in the OP, if we don't hear anything from you for a couple days I will assume you abandoned us and skip you to keep things moving.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 25, 2015, 02:00:10 am »

Clobbermountains; 13 Felsite

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Oh hey there, ah Flint is it?"
"Splint."
"Ah, no, that's Dastot Kedcatten you want but I don't know where the hospital is, knock on stone."
"No I'm here to complain."
"Oh, ok, yeah can we do that later?"
"No."
"Well how could I even help YOU?"
"Listen,  this place looks and feels like a complete fucking disaster area."
"The King's arrival has sure been a real pain eh? So far? Not likey to get any better for us again huh?"
"_"
"A king-sized problem for us, yup, haha."
"_"
"Flinty-baby, that scowl looks adaman-tight on you!"
"IT'S SPLINT, you fool. What are you even doing here?"
"Ah, Oh, so sorry to hear. That's Dastot Kedcatten you want. I'm putting up this gold statue by His Gaudiness' bed and consoling you about your complaint. Frankly I don't even know if we have a hospital."
"WHAT? NO! What are the orders for the fort? The king is here! We need everything done.GET OFF YOUR ASS!"
"Whoah hey easy know, I just mandated some more traction benches the other-"
"Not that. You're supposed to be in charge. You havn't done anything for more then two months."
"I don't want to elf things up. Now the king's here."
"STOW THAT DIRT SEARGENT GORGETEMPTS! YOU WILL GET YOUR ASS IN MECHANISM AND DIRECT THIS FORTRESS OR I WILL DROP YOU SO HARD THAT THE FLOOR JAMS YOUR SKULL THOURGH YOUR BRAIN!"

*sigh*

"I wish she was still here."

"Splint would 'a known what to do. We're besieged, there's civilians outside, the military is scattered, few reporting to station in the trade depot. There's a lone speardwarf, Besmar, heading off one wing of a large force of banshees. Why are so many miners outside? We have to try and save the miners. Hold the gate. Buffalo squad and swordsdwarfs 01 are ordered to try support Besmar.

Besmar fells his assailant receiving additional light wounds. The other wing of the banshee's force is still far off on the NW hill. Previous banshee invasions seemed handily routed but there was a lot coming for the few soldiers that have shown up. Wait who's that?

What could possibly be the reason Mr.Frog is leading a charge of civilians out the front gate? Civilians were on a 'Topside restriction!' The alert level is raised to 'Emergency' in vain hope it will do any good.
Answers were had but re-assuring they were indeed not.

The first banshee force hit the gate and confusion spread red. Fighting spread over enough levels nothing could be followed. Mr.Frog and the civilians fled heading west towards the second banshee force coming out of the NW hills. Things are staring to get out of hand. Our forces are not having the resounding success I expected. I think I'm in over my head.

DUN DUN DUN!

So, yeah, the fort's a bit, uh, un-optimized, hard to keep on schedule. Some things happened, some are still happening. I've only got a few days done but I took me some time as there was much trouble brewing from frame one plus the orientation, lever notes, never used vanilla acsii before. I should pick up a bit of speed - I hope. Looks like there will be some excitement for sure!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 25, 2015, 06:05:22 am »

Just an FYI, Splint's been dead fooooooor.... Ever at this point.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 25, 2015, 10:38:04 am »

and yet new statues of him always pop up
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 26, 2015, 02:02:30 am »

The implication was that Crashmaster is speaking both roles in a Tyler-durdenesque-y yet failed madness to  rally himself but was overcome by the depressing sanity of reality and thusly responsibility. Hopefully for the better.

Clobbermountains; here's your welcome basket-case

Taupe's cat Brembul Boltmoral gets really shot. I hope Taupe's day doesn't get any worse (ominous foreshadowing).

It was determined that Mr Frog and the other miners, Endok Bridgeball and Bim Helmsdefense, were trying to reach the new mining designations. The path through the fortress was blocked by a locked door. They ran into the second force of banshees and scattered fleeing back. Mikethethe is the only dwarf who to moved station up the hill to protect them.

He is taunting the banshees, drawing their fire to aid the civilians' escape with just a cut on his head one second and then; flanked by some of the first force of banshees boiling up the hill the next he was shot at from both sides. Blocking many shots and stopping 5 bolts in his left arm he stood until one through the ribs puncturing his lungs, dooming him even if help ever arrives.

The dwarf ranger mutant, Aban Regazmol, suffocates in his cage. Presumably one year since he turned if I heard right about the clouds. Ah right! The clouds, remember the clouds. They are climbing the hill, now just a couple levels below the depot entrance.

Taupe and Libash Rocksarmors are right at the vaporous edge of the cloud just south of the embattled depot entrance, very bad, we have to pull back but everyone's gone out of control. (this is actually where I found out about the standing forbid orders)

Moving pillars? what the hell is -? Ogresses!? when? what, NO! The dwarves at the depot entrance are still fighting the remains of the first banshee force up and down the hill west of the depot gate and they are about to be flanked by the ogresses coming from the east. There is no-one left in the depot. Oh, and the area is about the be swept over by those horrifying clouds.

It was inevitable. Adil Veiledconstruct is the only one who could follow the order to retreat in time. The drawbridge is closed.

As soon as the fort is sealed anyone left outside is ordered to rally on top of the hill where Mikethethe was defending the main entrance gate and civilian miners. He has held the hilltop the last while without even the benefit of consciousness. I think the banshees ran out of ammo as they just started retreating north. Orders to open the main entrance gate are given in the hopes of saving the civilian miners.

Libash Rocksarmors escaped ahead of the clouds coming up the hill, taupe was not as quick. Libash made it to the sealed depot entrance but so had the ogresses, then the clouds. Now Monom Lashadmire the Fancy is the sole known surviving military dwarf outside holding station at the main entrance gate on top of the hill as Endok Bridgeball heads to the meet zone inside. Mr Frog however, is hurrying to the entrance trailing the former Amost Gearedlabour, now miner-mutant, not far behind. The close gate order is immediately issued and Libash ordered to re-station inside.

One success if nothing else. Mr Frog does not hesitate on his way to the meet zone and Monom the Fancy followed him just ahead of the closing drawbridge.

Bim Helmsdefense, miner, shot and collapsed from a broken left lower leg, is the last known surviving dwarf outside but distraction or not, there will be no rescue attempt. Oh hell, and most certainly not NOW!

At least we should have some traction benches ready. I better make sure there actually is a hospital.

Sooo, not so good. It's been a rough week for every one. We lost two miners including Bim whatshisbeard, six other useless dwarves, our military suffered significant losses and the surface is no longer safe. The population is going to take this hard.

I'm thinking waterfall.

Surviving named dwarves;

Gwolf2ki
Mr Frog
Crashmaster
Agrela
Dauros
Fervus
Jeff
Pisskop
Krolm
Krypta

That was fun. A bit sloppy but I figured I'd be starting with something more like building some beds then immediate action. Perhaps a fortress tour next as I familiarize myself with it. There will be a shuffle of jobs and military recruitment so an opportunity for re-dwarfing. Then hopefully get some months of work done without interruption. I am starting a deadly hallway (no trap spam here boss) and new depot area off what is labeled as the main entrance. It's the one not piled with heaps of corpses. A waterfall is next for planning in an attempt to get ahead of an expected plunge in overall morale and concurrent rise in brain-punching.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 26, 2015, 11:06:15 am »

Wow, I was turned off a bit by the untagged dialogue at the beginning but damn these are good updates. I'm enjoying the carnage, lol. Also I'm thinking I definitely need to rebalance the banshees after this. They really weren't supposed to be this much of a direct threat. Hahaha.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:08:23 am by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 26, 2015, 11:57:49 am »

Just as a heads up, I named the king's honor guards because I felt as his personal troops they deserved better than bland standard dwarf names.

And after this, you see why I felt I had so little hope for... Anything, basically?

But we do have a hospital! Pretty sure it's on the bottom in-use  floor with some wells in it unless it spontaneously combusted somehow

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 26, 2015, 12:28:13 pm »

But we do have a hospital! Pretty sure it's on the bottom in-use  floor with some wells in it unless it spontaneously combusted somehow

shhh don't tempt fate

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 26, 2015, 03:02:31 pm »

Yes, little hope, mildly overwhelmed but still un-pausing. The only barracks I'm finding are in the caverns layers, kinda explains the military response time and co-ordination. No hospital up top either the fortress feels strangely split with backwards priorities. Bin-less stockpiles, cluttered workshops and clothes all over. Even though dump-designated items are being tossed in the volcano I wonder if there is a quantum stockpile hiding somewhere with all the good stuff.

Today we'll see how out former friends and fellow dwarfs once of sworddwarf 01 squad fair against Ms. Purebulbs and her goblin army. They may yet serve us. Gonna pick through the roster of dwarves with high endurance for any good ones to draft into the military. Get the magma smelters cleared out and melting down goblinite. Continue with hematite prospecting and smelting. Then we'll see.

I shouldn't have tried to open with comedy. I though people might pick up on the negotiator, judge of intent, conversationalist, comedian, flatterer, consoler, pacifier bit as Crashmaster performed the mayoral duty of listening to unhappy dwarves' complaints.

p.s. I was wondering; Given Mr Frog explicitly forbade the use of danger rooms for training dwarves for obvious gaming reasons. What is your opinion on considering the use of another exploit http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=134512.0 on prisoners? I hadn't been planning it but it seems the current mutants' extra strength and size is less of an advantage then expected reducing their potential as a final solution. Unleashing mutant SUPER soldiers however would ensure victory but still be controllable in that they have a set expiry date. Also I let the female cave croc at the nest boxes :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 03:28:19 pm by Crashmaster »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 140