Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 372671 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Mind the Clouds :)
« Reply #780 on: September 28, 2015, 05:39:21 pm »

We have two-dimensional cheesemakers now? Yikes.
That's good. Once a fortress runs out of milk, uni-dimensional cheese-makers become pretty useless.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 29, 2015, 02:59:01 am »

Mostly mining  and sock-dumping designations today. Busy after work, maybe tomorrow too but material for an update tomorrow - light stuff, working hard with the entrances closed. Zetta and Melkor are dwarfed screens to follow.

I started a water pump-stack to bring the advancements of indoor plumbing to our people and our enemies. Still working on the trap as well. I'm hoping for some goblin siege - seething cloud interaction. Melting stuff, installing some of out strategic gold statue reserve in the king's room to up their value, cloaks and hood production from stolen elf-cloth.

Of course they are 2d; 9999 on a tile but only one standing.

mikethete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 29, 2015, 08:47:30 am »

Wait, how did my dwarf get overwhelmed by banshees, she was single handedly killing off banshees left and right during my turn as they funneled into the depot. Re dwarf me as another spear, MY SPIRIT SHALL LIVE ON
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:49:04 am by mikethete »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 29, 2015, 09:35:20 am »

Wait, how did my dwarf get overwhelmed by banshees, she was single handedly killing off banshees left and right during my turn as they funneled into the depot. Re dwarf me as another spear, MY SPIRIT SHALL LIVE ON

Two full ranged squads is how. All it takes is one arrow to make virtually anyone black out if a bone gets damaged.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 29, 2015, 02:57:35 pm »

Yeah, he didn't advance on them at all so I think one of the earlier of the five bolts in your his left arm caused him to give in to pain. Probably would have survived if it wasn't for the bold in the ribs the rendered both lungs non-functional.

Will re-dwarf.

Mikethethe
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zetta

Melkor
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 02:19:10 am by Crashmaster »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 30, 2015, 02:37:17 am »

Clobbermountains; come for the shelter from the clouds, stay for the shelter from the clouds

Two more children are born early in the season at the same time as an older one grows into a peasant. Poor little bugger. Two parties though. There is still mountains of crap outside and somewhere there's some junk that about half the fort really wants to put away. At least the new coffins are ready for the remains of our fallen - for our sake. They can worry about that stuff outside when the siege ends. That coati can keep his stolen masterwork gold flask too - door's a-stayin' closed!

Seems Krypta, one of the military, became mayor due to a mistake I made on her promotion forms. I put the sworddwarf, Flint, as militia commander instead. Krypta immediately mandates ballista ammunition for which we have no workshop and limited space - I regret these actions.
A strand extractor, Iteb, is possessed, this won't amount to much. Again those unnatural clouds come. It was inevitable. What has me worried though is a mystery. Commissar Lisard stops short in the stonecrafts stockpile abandoning a sweet gold statue installation job to rest due to sudden dizziness and fever. This calls for a new chief medical dwarf in case it can spread.

There is, a tiger bone throne! I too was shocked and appalled that it's not the king's throne room until I saw that recursive gabbro and rose quartz one he has now. Work on gold statue installation continues.

Beyond the refuse disposal, corpse handling and the trap construction, I have set work forth to build a pump system to bring water up from the caverns. To this end I have started knocking down some clothiers and craftsdwarf workshops, a couple bedrooms and part of the top dorm. It's all right though, it'll all look fine when we're done, we'll hide the pipes behind a fake wall, you won't even hear any substantial pumping. Iteb gets working with an odd assortment of materials.

Iteb's possession produces a tiger-bone helm, meh, needs more gabbro. Also; I don't remember any tigers? The wind blows fortuitously. It's quite a show. Two more kids throw parties.

We've not stopped dumping refuse despite the siege. Another kid is born, work goes on. His Gaudiness wants more maces and shields. A good strategy against the spawn is the reason he says. Block with the shield and smash out the teeth. They can transmit a sickness of the mind and beard that will snatch victory from you with it's jaws of death. The king seems like a good dwarf to have around.
Nope, suddenly the royals get right twisted about something they won't specify. Ah, forget them. Nobles are impossible and the siege has ended. Alright, everyone outside, open the gate - ah crap, missed the wagons.

A lost ranger was memorialized but quickly forgotten as a web-spewing pterosaur appears in the lower caverns. I think the main area is safe but there is still defiantly a hole in the wall securing a small branch of the caverns. There were tense moments every time the pterosaur moved while we waited for the access floor to be de-constructed and the final wall section built in it's place.

An ambush! catches Bim Helmsdefense, of all dwarves, outside. He's learned help is unlikely and get's in a counterstrike before loads of help arrives.

A traitorous cave crocodile kills a made goose. You just don't do that. The croc was promptly killed. I had to  set aside a coffin special for Iden.

Cloudy again, this time I have both entrances closed as the clouds are right over them. I unload stonecrafts and some delicacies on the dwarven traders for a variety of simple foodstuffs, any steel items and sand. They won't take the elf shit. Oh well, the volcano ain't choosy. Winter is coming, and now it's here.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 30, 2015, 10:26:11 am »

war tigers.

the bsbshees bring us gifts of tiger
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 30, 2015, 07:30:56 pm »

Commissar Lisard stops short in the stonecrafts stockpile abandoning a sweet gold statue installation job to rest due to sudden dizziness and fever. This calls for a new chief medical dwarf in case it can spread.

On today's episode of "Mr Frog Cannot Into Modding", I appear to have somehow managed to break the Spawnitis so that the transformation, and only the transformation, doesn't work. (The dizziness is supposed to occur at the same time as the transformation; I'm not sure what the hell happened)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 01, 2015, 01:05:45 am »

My first thought was the Spawnitis, it's always Spawnitis! But I didn't know how long it was dormant for, and things seemed too murder-less.

Too late for a real update tonight but I'm nearing the end of winter, weird stuff with a flying forgotten beast - probably under control though. Let's just say, "don't count your walls before they're constructed."

Fortress population is at 195 after some more 'despite the danger' migrants however 63 are children and 77 are in the military for 75% of the time.

Since starting a partial year shall I continue through another if no-one objects? Completion of Immolation Ally will take at least an additional season it seems - they always do.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 01, 2015, 07:00:26 am »

I kind of missed the point when she fought the Spawn. Was it before the naming?
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

mikethete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 01, 2015, 11:35:55 am »

But a hammerdwarf turned successfully during my turn.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 01, 2015, 02:26:44 pm »

But a hammerdwarf turned successfully during my turn.

I remembered that just this morning, lol. Unless Splint fucked with the raws (which I doubt) I think the most likely scenario is that we have a tasty, tasty FB contagion on our hands. Quarantining the patient was a sound decision either way.

Also, @Crashmaster can go ahead and play until the beginning of next summer if he likes, in which case every subsequent turn will go summer-to-summer. Two years seems a bit excessive.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 02, 2015, 01:20:06 am »

Affirmative

Clobbermountains; won't somebody think of the children!

First thing to do was check to see if we were still safe from the web-shooting flying beast I'd forgotten about down in the cavens. Turns out no.

In addition to not following through and making sure that the wall we needed for staying alive was actually built last month, I had managed to completely overlook a similar opening not three urists away. The beast was now even closer as well. Further complicating matters is the value of the beast. It would be less then wise to let such an opportunity fall to the military especially under the eye of the king - assuming he's even ever paying attention. Our greatest chance to turn this situation seems to be to modify the supported floor trap at the door to the caverns to collapse non-lethally and cover the entire floor around it with cage traps while at the same time getting those holes walled up promptly.

Ok now lets put up those walls - oh, elf shit, we're fucked.

It'll take that thing scant moments to tear down that hatch. The ramp leads right into the barracks - I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing with our military in the state it is. A mason is hopefully hurrying to what might be a slightly sooner doom then the rest of us.

The wall does get done, and the tunnel started with a thought of sealing the miner in there right away but it seems there is no rush. Zotir is flying nowhere fast.
Two more children are born and the merchants announce their immanent return home as ten more migrants arrive despite the danger. Several of them will certainly face far more danger as their numbers pad the squads. Zoltir still hasn't yet finished with the hatch cover and so a new plan is set into motion. As moonstone comes to an end crundles show up in the lower caverns causing hauler chaos until patrols secure the area and the arrival of seething clouds warrants closing both entrances.
SUDDENLY NINJA GREMLIN OUT OF NOWHERE!

Well it was certainly not a master of evasion and the thing didn't make it two steps after pulling that stunt surrounded by stationed squad. Deler, one of the marksdwarves drops out a replacement right away anyhow followed by another from Tackleberry. There's sure a lot of kids around. Bound to loose a few here and there. Zoltir is still mesmerized by that hatch cover. It is encrusted you know.
With the smoothing and fortifications jobs for 'IMMOLATION ALLEY' was included tapping the volcano. Once again it is the dwarf that risks it all, Bim Helmsdefense in the spotlight. Again he escapes despite expectations and maybe some hopes - the forgotten beast was a bit of a non-event ok?

It is mid-winter, Zetta has a child, still more clouds, forgotten beast hasn't moved all month. Silver maces for the king again and two more children reach adulthood - this certainly is a strange place. Now Shorast, another marks dwarf and then speardwarf Leslie give birth. What the hell are they all doing down there?
I ordered the housing block walls pierced for some simple rooms I had drawn up after I found a bunch of dwarves sleeping on the meeting area floor. The beds should be ready by now, hell I've been making them.

I've been seeing a few dwarves in clothes that look past their prime so I had our clothing workshops start producing non-stop. Most of our talented clothiers have been drafted but what's left will have to do. I'll be good practice for them in case I can get them some real unique material. The seething clouds arrive yet again in this cursed jungle as I write. The month will soon to come to a close. The trap for Zoltir needs but mechanical linking - oh that's me too.

So it seems Zoltir the web-shooting pterosaur has got himself stuck trying to destroy a completely normal hatch cover at the top of a ramp. He has a constructed floor to stand on so I have no idea what is keeping him there so long or why the hatch has not been destroyed.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 02, 2015, 06:22:37 am »

Stone and metal buildings take considerably longer to tear down is why. Praise the earth!

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 03, 2015, 01:20:14 pm »

Clobbermountains; 'get me that web-slinging freak!'

Rush, rush, rush, there's never time. Everything is becoming an issue at once. Tasks are carried out and the rock drops trapping Zoltir entirely...

...not so much.

The beast is but lightly bruised. It can still fly and nothing is stopping it from heading up through an unforeseen crack into the secure caverns area. If it finishes with the hatch it can go downwards and escape. Another section of rock is designated to be cut and drop. We probably have the time.
Pk's son make's an artifact gabbro flute, hahaha, and some neglected memorials are finally installed before the next rock is dropped. This time by straight mining to waste no time. Sarvesh Roughnessphrase, a new-ish arrival makes the cut and is knocked - luckily - down the stairs, unconscious but un-injured. This time the beast is secure - as long as that hatch cover holds out.
The Spawn of Holistic have come for us again. We're busy - get lost.
As reviewing the work of the rangers who hunt down the constant flow of crundles in the caverns I was informed of disturbing news.

Medtob has only just arrived here though. So there is some chance his infection came from somewhere else. Good enough for me, too much to do to worry about already.
I said, 'too much to worry about,' just clean him up and get back to work.

Walls are built under the hatch forever blocking the Zoltir's chance of escape, a draw-bridge controlled from the room just below is installed and a friendly dog chained up in front of some designated fortifications. Presto - all the silk we could ever need. I hope the king is impressed. Oh, and no-one died, directly related to this project at least.

It is now spring.

IMMOLATION ALLEY progress has bottle-necked on gabbro mechanisms for the 50 hatch covers delaying connections. Due to distractions I let too much hauler-time be spent on junk cleaning while the workshop feeder stockpiles suffered as a result. There may be some instructions left for the next overseeer but hey - *pterosaur silk socks* for everyone! It seems we are out of soap, May be the cause of Medtob's death by infection and the mysterious passing of Adil in the archery range. About halfway through spring now.

edit; save is up, going hiking, update or too tired tonight.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11187

The last two (nope - it's the top row, the two right of the larger center space) hatches on level 159 will need to be connected to the microcline lever in the top right corner of the meeting area also on level 159 when there is room in the queue (use gabbro mechanisms in the hatches). Once all hatch connections are complete, the next levers are in the little alcove off the exit of the trap on level 158. The middle lever opens the magma floodgate and the top operates the bridges array (bottom one for expansion). Open top, let the system fill completely to 7/7 then close both. Only use the microcline main lever after the magma is full. A bit started on a water pumpstack, we might have all the components made.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:30:22 pm by Crashmaster »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 140