Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 377924 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- BABY FIGHTS!
« Reply #900 on: November 04, 2015, 06:19:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
With the trade depot secured from the outside, it was time to lower the inner seal and get to work.

Digging this new tunnel would be long and arduous. The path would stretch from the mountainside to the spire itself, running around the various sections of the fortress and dodging magma and water alike. The cavern bypasses would be the trickiest part. Much time was spent on designing a tunnel that would be devoid of obstacles, yet quick to excavate. Time was of the essence.

With the depot room available for all dwarves to navigate, many corpses were found, friend and foes alike, twisted into a compressed pile of gore, goo and rags. The bodies would feel the halls of the dead with remains, and the heart of the living with sorrow.

As the miners uncover various minerals, the rest of the fortress await for the next task. In the meantime, they start dumping banshee corpses into the volcano, to attenuate the miasma problem. Sadly, the red mist rolls in and turns one of the body-dumper into a mutant, causing more panic.

The fortress is still functional, but there are more reports of dwarves infighting than sparring. This new set of corpses is definitely not what clobbermountains need right now.

The mechanics are ready to start their share of the work on SPIREGATE. The project will require many levers, and a tantrumming dwarf activating or breaking one of these at a crucial moment could spell doom for the fortress. Each lever will be placed at the heart of the fortress, easy to access, but in an area that isn't used. fast, but safe. Small holes into the wall will allow the dwarves to seal a crucial lever forever, should the fortress reach a point where one of them should never be used again.

This is an aspect of the project so utterly vital, that even a druniken designer about to pass out understood it clearly. These levers will not be activated accidentally. Unlike the existing levers, which are in the middle of a corridor.

I cannot stress this enough.

Setbacks begin. the ramp excavation can only go for so long before the miners are unable to dig further up because... reasons. There isn't enough time to figure out a new design, so instead the caverns are connected to the water access tunnel, and the rest of the water chute is dug from the top. This area was designed to bring water down quickly, yet to facilitate quick evaporation of excess liquid.

A legendary miner, Mr. frog leads the way, connecting the SPIREGATE to the trade depot at a blinding speed. He stops here and there, to announce that carrying out each of the stones he left behind is truly, truly not a priority.

Soon he reaches the depot, and the masons and mechanics get to work on one of the many bridges required by the SPIREGATE. This is such a touchy project, that each bridge is to be made of a different material. Each lever will be clearly labbeled, each bridge labelled with the same name, and the (N)otes section shall contain indications about the bridge material, just to be sure. Leaving the fortress to future overseers without a clearly understandable mechanical layout would be suicide.

Without much else to do, Udil the furnace tender has been working on a personal project. An artefact animal cage. The irony is strong, as the fortress is about to ''trap'' various ''animals'' soon enough. Sadly, the nature of this cage is absolutely unfit for the task at hand.

At least, Udil is being productive. as he created his masterpiece, many of his friends chose to fight among themselves instead of working. Hopefully, his knowledge and skills will be put to good use before this is all over. (They won't)

As soon as the artefact is complete, a marksdwarf goes utterly insane, and murders Udil on the spot.

A soldier gets up in time to stop further rampaging of the forges. The murder of his old army buddy does little to lift his spirits, however. The army has always been on edge, thanks to long patrols, massive drafts and frequent battles and death. now, they are beginning to snap. The helpless civilians pray to Armok that this crossbowdwarf's insanity is not the first sign of a tantrum spiral.

The dwarves of clobbermountains have reclaimed the trade depot, but past this point, the jungle belongs to the spawn. Misshapen former dwarves with a gapping maw stalk the cliffside, and every week a cloud of vile, corrupting mist rises from the cursed tropical forest.

This is a act that's utterly lost on the dwarven traders. Their fate is best left undescribed.

Kobold ambushers try to get a jump on the traders, unaware of the real danger rushing toward them. Their fate is also best left undescribed.

Clobbermountains is closed to the outside world.

Clobbermountains is slowly bursting from the inside.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 04, 2015, 07:45:21 pm »

This is an aspect of the project so utterly vital, that even a druniken designer about to pass out understood it clearly. These levers will not be activated accidentally. Unlike the existing levers, which are in the middle of a corridor.

I'll still give it about 15 minutes before a tantruming dwarf somehow finds his way over to them.

That or the next overseer.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 04, 2015, 08:17:29 pm »

This is actually going much more smoothly than I was anticipating.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 04, 2015, 10:13:50 pm »

Save for the water access, most of the mining work has been completed. A shame, as the water flooding should be the first part of this project. The dwarves are hard at work in the caverns to fix this issue. some mechanics are linking the various bridges.

That is, until something peculiar happens. A collossal hornet composed of amber now roams the cavern layer where the dwarves are dwelling.

The dwarves will confront it. They have to. the surviving soldiers rush downstairs, and a fight begins. The beast's attack is laughable, and the soldiers eventually fracture it to death using wooden crossbows.

Work continues until something else shows up. A flying crocodile pulsating deadly gases...

There is little time to react. At this point, the project may be finished by digging through the tunnels from the bottom up. The workers wall off the tunnel from the caverns quickly. It is time to close the gate. No lever seems to be labelled for such a purpose. Two levers are found on the cavern level, unidentified. Could they be what seals the two cavern gates?

...Nope. The fortress begins to flood. The levers are reactivated in time. some masons try to build a wall in time, but the giant crocodile is too close, and rushes inside.

The soldiers are dispatched once more. They are still reffered as squads a to h, even tho most of these are now empty. Still, dispatching so many squads fills the dwarves with some semblance of safety, no matter how illusory.

Some fall. Some flee. As the soldiers reach the caverns, the giant crocodile is trashing the mason workshops, and chasing dwarves around.

Karen faces the beast and slays it. The soldiers celebrate for a brief moment, then everyone involved in the incident chokes on their blood, falls to the ground and dies promptly. ''Promptly'' has become my favorite word while writing about dwarf fortress, because it applies to so many forms of syndromes.

The way is clear for now, despite the recent losses. The dwarves finish the last touches on the water gates and tunnels. They are ready for the first part of project SPIREGATE.

The bridges are lowered briefly. Water rushes down the ramp stack. The main part covers the channeled area above the magma sea, turning it into obsidian, and sealing the breach around the adamantine formation. the small areas around the ramps quickly get rid of excess water, and the dwarves are ready to carve deep, deep into the precious metal. They swarm the top layer of the spire, removing the obsidian layer before retreating. From the very fragile safety of the fortress, they choose a volunteer. The next part of the project clearly mentions that one dwarf alone must accomplish this. The dwarves know not what's going to happen, but they know what this kind of sentence usually means.

Ustuth Nuturns ventures down to meet his final duty. He is unaware of what's to come. To him, this is merely a suicidal magma-breaching job of some sort. Miners never return from these. Mr frog once dispatched a close friend to such a duty, and they haven't seen her since. The founder hasn't been quite right in the head ever since.

Ustuth digs one square, then heads back upstairs. The path to the fortress was sealed behind him. No matter. He can still access the depot. He goes there, and grab a drink from a random barrel. ''Maybe my last drink'', he thinks. The folks in the fortress were wise enough to close acces to the depot from the fortress. He has no way to go but down again, where more carving awaits. ''Damn little assholes, they were quick enough to activate that conveniently reachable lever and seal me here''

Ustuth is sweating. It's so hot down here. so rich, however. This adamantine... once he gets back to the others, they'll be amazed at what he found. Layers upon layers of adamantine ores. His orders are to dig as deep as the spire go, one layer at a time, as to avoid the molten rock. From his perspective, it's impossible to tell for sure if he's in the middle of the thing, or about to hit magma. He has to go back and excavate new stauircases every two level or so. He's doing pretty good for himself.

''Hell, if we just melt all this, we could just fend off our enemies easily!'' he exclaims. He digs another level.

''Hell, this is so awesome, we are rich'' he says, as he digs another level.

''Hell, his Gaudiness will make me a duke for this prospecting work!'' Ustuth thinks as he hits another level of cyan metal.

''Hell...'' he mutters, as his pick pierces the last level of the spire.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 04, 2015, 10:37:29 pm »

"Ah Shit." - Final words of Ustuth Nuturns.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: November 04, 2015, 10:56:06 pm »

A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 04, 2015, 11:01:29 pm »

Heheheheheheheheh..... Yeah, I think this might be it.

Just as our ancestors ages ago, fought in the face of defeat, so too shall we be torn to complete and utter shreds for trying that shit.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 04, 2015, 11:15:15 pm »

I would like to point out that up to this point, including the eerie cavern and horrifying scream part, I was very satisfied with myself with this incredibly well executed plan.

Then I pressed U to check out what kind of hilarious clowns we had.

Then I learned something interesting and terrifying about modding.

That being said, I never felt irony so strong as when I sat at my computer after meticulously and purposely digging straight into hell for hours, only to then declare ''Oh no I've doomed the fortress, this is not what I expected!''

For Ustuth, the eerie cavern was a mystery, a discovery.

Then came the screams, and the voices. For Ustuth, this meant horror, and madness, and death. For Clobbermountains, strangely, it meant salvation, albeit a very extreme form thereof. SPIREGATE was a success. With only the pull of a lever, the demons would be redirected to the surface. There, they would slaughter the incoming banshees, and prevent the collapse of society. Sure, they would have to be dealt with, but this was the beauty of SPIREGATE. The demons would rush toward the depot, along a very, very long corridor dug by mister Frog. Right before they got there, the two bridges would retract, and lock the horde in the tunnel. Away from the spire, away from the fortress. By using the alternate route, the dwarves would be able to block access to hell at the bottom of the spire, and then harvest the entire thing.

They would have adamantine. Tons of it. The army would be rebuilt, stronger, lighter, better faster, whatever. This was the beginning of a new age. In the meantime, the invaders would be kept at bay by the demon. When the demon's job was done, and the soldiers were once again ready to take to the fields of battle, the demons would be lured downstairs once more by various statues, where the water access would flush them into the spire to drown, or land on a thousand traps they can't avoid while affected by the currents.

This was the best plan.

And it was working.

Have you read Syrupleaf?

I have. Deep inside I knew about the next part. I just couldn't process the idea that this could happen to us. When I copied the plans for the ROOM of EVERYWOE, I assumed everything would be similar. Up to this point, it was. Then I took a look at what kind of funny doves and flying smoke banshees we had.

Oh fuck.

Oh fuck.

Oh fuuuuck.

For Ustuth, this meant nothing more. They were demons, they were his doom made flesh and bone. greater spawns or mighty doves or fiendish smoke creatures, it mattered little to him. Ustuth Nuturns was a dead dwarf all the same. His blood would be the first to soak the bottomless pits of the great abyss regardless...

For Clobbermountains, this meant that things were definitely not going as planned.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:55:01 pm by Taupe »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 04, 2015, 11:39:51 pm »

You probably shouldn't have trusted me not to put in a "surprise". I mean, c'mon, a succession fort with every mod clearly advertised and explained in the OP? Where's the fun in that?

Also that entire reply is going in the quote bank as it caused me to literally pulsate with black joy.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 05, 2015, 12:35:17 am »

You probably shouldn't have trusted me not to put in a "surprise". I mean, c'mon, a succession fort with every mod clearly advertised and explained in the OP? Where's the fun in that?

Also that entire reply is going in the quote bank as it caused me to literally pulsate with black joy.
I blame you entirely for this. The tough part will be to be remembered as a tragic victim rather than the cause of all this. ''Why yes, I did did straight to hell, but that was his fault''. More than ever, the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

''Hey, Urist, what's that strange, soul-shattering bunch of screams I be hearing?
-Gee, Bomrek, I 'unno. Sounds like, maybe magma or whatever. But the instructions said this is when we should open the last envelope. ''

They retrieve the final, sealed set of instruction from ex-overseer Zaneg. Inside is a complete blueprint of the finished SPIREGATE. so far, each worker division has been blindly following instructions or working on specific parts of the project. It comes with a letter.

''Dear survivors of Clobbermountains,

If you are reading this, then you have followed the plan as I instructed, and SPIREGATE is complete. We should have a supply of demons waiting to crush our enemies, and a way to bypass them to aquire adamantine. In time, we'll be able to rebuild our army and outfit it with legendary-grade equipment. In the meantime, the soldiers are too weak. that's why we need those demons. I'm sorry I mislead you, but it was the only way to salvage the fortress, to survive the next banshee attack.

The water system should allow you to eliminate the demons, in time, when they have outlived their usefulness. Until then, be strong, and survive! You can do this! Remember to unleash the demons once banshees arrive.

-Your fallen Overseer,
Zaneg''

The plan was insane, yet the results were there. To the good people of Clobbermountains (and the larger, insane part), the nature of those demons was still a mystery. The creatures were locked behind a gate. A few ventured near the trade depot, but they backed down and were sealed in the tunnel soon after. There was only one major problem.

The lower gate had been damaged, or wasn't linked properly. There was no way to seal the demons from the spire. Adamantine, by a strange and whimsical mechanical mistake, was out of the dwarven reach.

It was a mere week before the next year. soon, as per dwarven customs, a new overseer would be chosen. Until then, the words of Overseer Zaneg was to be law. The demons were to remain in the tunnel until the next overseer chose to unleash them, or not.

Until someone said the fateful words.

''Banshees! Banshees on the surface!''

The dedicated lever operator was ready. He knew what he had to do. He began the lever activation duty, but when he got to the final part...

''It's gone.'' he said. ''The lever is gone!''

Someone had trashed the conveniently-located, publicly available lever in a tantrum. This was some very shocking and unexpected news. They would need to herd the demons back in the tunnel, then open the inner seal to send a worker out to die, and deconstruct the outer gate in the process. A volunteer is chosen. he knows what must be done.

Things are going downhill, and fast. No access to adamantine, and now, the way to the surface will be permanently unavailable. For better or worse, unleashing the demons will be a permanent action. There is no going back. Clobbermountains will be isolated, and the surviving dwarves will have to live their lives in there without any way of seeing the sun again. It is the only way to survive against the banshees, sadly.

''I've had enough of this place!'' announces a dwarf.

''Fuck this place.
Fuck my life.
Fuck Clobbermountains and fuck His Gaudiness.
''

It's another tantrum. The dwarves ignore him. Flint, gaudy guard, draws his hammer. Talking against the king is a punishable offence, after all. They can tolerate children infighting, but not disrespect. ''Watch your mouth'' says the guard. ''Or I'll teach you.''

''That’s right, I said it, and I’ll fucking say it again: FUCK YOU!!! FUCK HIS GAUDINESS!!! FUCK THE ROYAL ARCHIVIST!!! I DON’T CARE WHAT YOU’LL DO TO ME FOR SAYING THIS!!!
…I don’t care what happens to me at all.
''

The guard gets closer. there is no avoiding the hammerin' now. Not after this. The tantrumming dwarf starts to flail his arms around, trashing stuff around and screaming. The dwarf has clearly gone insane. He's having a mental breakdown in the middle of the fortress. People are looking, waiting. waiting for more, waiting for him to stop. Waiting for the public display of brutality.

''I will die.
I will die, and then I won’t have to feel grief anymore.
I will die, and then I won’t have to deal with life anymore.

I don’t care anymore.

I’m already dead.
''

The dwarf kicks something. Something just within his reach, something easily accessed to just anyone, sitting there in a public area.

Someone jumps on the lever and flips it back within the minute. It's already too late.

Happy New year, Clobbermountains!

So, I'm not sure if there's another turn. Here's the situation in a nutshell:
A tantrumming dwarf kicked the inner access lever before we could lure the demons back in the tunnel. the gate has been closed, but some greater spawn are in the fortress. What's more, they are right in the central staircase and can get anywhere. The banshees appeared a week before the year ended (setting up the thing took two full seasons). They showed up the moment I finished the whole SPIREGATE thing and got the demons ready. My turn finished six ingame hours after the lever incident, so that's some fun timing right there. About the same moment, the ambushing banshees were instantly swallowed by a gigantic, well placed cloud, eliminating them  utterly. Yes, that's right, not only did everything go to hell with the spawn, but it happened for naught!

Maybe you can salvage the fortress. This will require a lot of planning and some good moves, and also a damn fine amount of luck. Even if you do, we'll have a very shaky population, and we'll probably have to dig and seal a way to the surface just to unleash the spawn against any invading banshees by deconstructing the bridge from the outside. There will be corpses and few ressources and tantrums and miasma and general unpleasantness. Here's a quick summary of what happens if you don't do something awesome.

I want to say I'm sorry for what happened, but I'm not.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:54:01 am by Taupe »

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 05, 2015, 12:47:35 am »

Hahahahahaha Bwahahahahaha

We are so dead. Really really dead.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 05, 2015, 12:55:47 am »

I dunno, I think we can salvage this. I'm mucking around a bit, and I've found that the King is currently in an easily-walled-off mason's shop about 50z down -- he just finished sealing himself in as I type this -- along with a number of dwarves in a reasonably-stable emotional state -- at least one of which can mine. My main concern is re-securing our food resources.

E: Aldraglienon is currently in an easily-walled-off farming area full of plump helmet seeds, as well as a conveniently-placed gabbro block. It'll take some intense micromanagement to get him to actually build the wall, but there's a food source right there. We'll of course have to connect the farm with our bunker down below somehow...

E2: Never mind, a spawn just jumped in while he was building the wall. Hm.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:07:58 am by Mr Frog »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 05, 2015, 01:03:34 am »

I dunno, I think we can salvage this. I'm mucking around a bit, and I've found that the King is currently in an easily-walled-off mason's shop about 50z down -- he just finished sealing himself in as I type this -- along with a number of dwarves in a reasonably-stable emotional state -- at least one of which can mine. My main concern is re-securing our food resources.
Cavern wall-in, maybe? I hope you like 'em plump helmets.

In the simulation I ran, Jeff was able to seal himself in the food supply, and harvested things until he went utterly mad within a week. The king grabbed a few friends and decided to assault the spire itself, while the soldiers made a last stand in the throne room.

IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFO: The transforming spawn and the greater spawn are not allied. They will fight each other. The transforming population managed to down about fifteen greater spawns.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 05, 2015, 01:09:42 am »

Cavern wall-in, maybe? I hope you like 'em plump helmets.

In the simulation I ran, Jeff was able to seal himself in the food supply, and harvested things until he went utterly mad within a week. The king grabbed a few friends and decided to assault the spire itself, while the soldiers made a last stand in the throne room.

IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFO: The transforming spawn and the greater spawn are not allied. They will fight each other. The transforming population managed to down about fifteen greater spawns.

Hm. By combining our strategies (Jeff and the King walling themselves in separately) we might be able to wait out the demons or something. Y'know, let the sieges take care of them. Sort of deal.

E: I had never realised until this moment just how fucking difficult it is to get a specific dwarf to do something promptly. Fuck.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:16:16 am by Mr Frog »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: November 05, 2015, 01:22:27 am »

Are there any weird access points to the second cavern layer that I don't know about? Because I managed to completely seal it off from the central staircase. We might be able to use that for food, and hopefully if we manage to get a really fucking good dining hall going we can prevent the remaining 10 or so dwarves from descending into a tantrum spiral.

E: This is all hypothetical; once we work out an actual strategy I (or one of us) will do an actual playthrough to see if we can salvage it.

E2: Okay, so I somehow got the farming area secured (the spawn buggered off for some reason). I now deem this fort "salvageable". If all else fails, we can start from here. Gonna keep going later, my comp is struggling to run this thing (you guys made a mess).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:34:10 am by Mr Frog »

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 140