Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 379138 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- BABY FIGHTS!
« Reply #915 on: November 05, 2015, 01:36:39 am »

Are there any weird access points to the second cavern layer that I don't know about? Because I managed to completely seal it off from the central staircase. We might be able to use that for food, and hopefully if we manage to get a really fucking good dining hall going we can prevent the remaining 10 or so dwarves from descending into a tantrum spiral.

E: This is all hypothetical; once we work out an actual strategy I (or one of us) will do an actual playthrough to see if we can salvage it.
Good work so far.

This is a long shot, but digging into the top of the spire through the south and blocking it at both ends would allow us to extract. This will be risky as fuck, But with pre-moved boulders, a burrowed dwarf nearby and some good timing, we can get adamantine. One single block carved into a table or whatever will make people shit themselves from joy. Not sure how easy it will be to process with so few dwarves, tho.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:41:39 am by Taupe »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 05, 2015, 01:43:45 am »

My current concern is banshees, because with the numbers we have and the numbers they have a single siege will be enough to paralyse our entire fort.

From what I understand, the demons do not have access to the outside. Is the outside otherwise safe at the moment? because if so, I might be able to send a sacrificial dwarf out on a suicide mission to manually... er... lower the drawbridge. So to speak. That will take care of any invaders.

Also fwiw I think the Greater Spawn are actually quite fragile -- they're glass cannons, with teeth and claws that can slice through iron but relatively little endurance.

E: Gonna sign off for tonight, my head is hurting from all this ‼STRATEGY‼
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:46:10 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 05, 2015, 01:49:35 am »

My current concern is banshees, because with the numbers we have and the numbers they have a single siege will be enough to paralyse our entire fort.

From what I understand, the demons do not have access to the outside. Is the outside otherwise safe at the moment? because if so, I might be able to send a sacrificial dwarf out on a suicide mission to manually... er... lower the drawbridge. So to speak. That will take care of any invaders.

Also fwiw I think the Greater Spawn are actually quite fragile -- they're glass cannons, with teeth and claws that can slice through iron but relatively little endurance.

Yes, apart from the potential ambushes and the mist, the outside is currently safe. Unleashing the demons was my intention, but someone kicked the lever too soon, before we could unjam the southern gate. You could dig to the outside and land one square south of the bridge to deconstruct it with a sacrificial lamb, that way he wouldn't be exposed to sneaky kobolds or weather. This is probably our best (and only) chance of dealing with invaders. the banshees will die to the demons, or kill them. If migrants arrive, they'll be morphed and hopefully lower the number of greater spawns over the season.

Regardless of what kills what, unleashing the demons is something that should be done sooner than later. Once banshees arrive... it'll be too late to do anything.

As for greater spawn beeing fragile, I also noticed that. The normal spawns seem to wrestle things slowly, but may be tougher. The greater spawn died en masse to their babies.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 05, 2015, 02:45:54 am »

Yes, apart from the potential ambushes and the mist, the outside is currently safe. Unleashing the demons was my intention, but someone kicked the lever too soon, before we could unjam the southern gate. You could dig to the outside and land one square south of the bridge to deconstruct it with a sacrificial lamb, that way he wouldn't be exposed to sneaky kobolds or weather. This is probably our best (and only) chance of dealing with invaders. the banshees will die to the demons, or kill them. If migrants arrive, they'll be morphed and hopefully lower the number of greater spawns over the season.

Regardless of what kills what, unleashing the demons is something that should be done sooner than later. Once banshees arrive... it'll be too late to do anything.

As for greater spawn beeing fragile, I also noticed that. The normal spawns seem to wrestle things slowly, but may be tougher. The greater spawn died en masse to their babies.

I think all this goes to show just how naive I am when it comes to judging enemy power levels. For example, banshees were supposed to be a mild irritant, as opposed to the possible death knell of the entire fucking fort :V  If I ever do a succession fort with them again I'll probably give them a longer window before they start to scream.

The current plan for the fortress is that I will take a short turn of my own in order to hopefully re-establish a stable living situation for our remaining population. My objectives are, in roughly-descending order of priority:
  • Unleash the Greater Spawn into the world at large so as to serve as our first line of defense
  • Regain access to what little of the farming level I've managed to stake out and restart farming operations
  • Secure the Spire as per Taupe's suggestion
  • Produce adamantine statues/tables/whatever the fuck and install them in a new dining hall to hopefully bliss our remaining dwarves out enough for them to not murder each other
Once these objectives have been accomplished, I will hand the save off to the next player, who will pick up where I left off. Quick word of advice: DO NOT DIG OUT ANY WALLS.

E: If all else fails, we will have managed to completely-pooch this site to the point where a reclaim isn't even feasible, which is an accomplishment I guess. Also, Aldraglienon is dead.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 02:50:50 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Everything Is Proceeding Smoothly
« Reply #919 on: November 05, 2015, 03:45:26 am »

My objectives are, in roughly-descending order of priority:
-Unleash the Greater Spawn into the world at large so as to serve as our first line of defense
Hints that a succession fortress has gone off the rails...

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 05, 2015, 04:46:26 am »

My objectives are, in roughly-descending order of priority:
-Unleash the Greater Spawn into the world at large so as to serve as our first line of defense
Hints that a succession fortress has gone off the rails...

I'd say the first sign of that was when I had to go into the raws and systematically purge them of any and all references to farting

E: Actually, can we stop and appreciate the fact that Taupe looked at the fortress's situation, weighed his options, and concluded that the best way to save the fort would be to unleash hell

and then he posted in the thread, "Hey guys, you know what would really ensure our safety? Unleashing hell!"

and then I looked at Taupe's suggestion and weighed the risks and possible alternatives, and said, "Sure, Taupe, you go ahead and unleash hell, this is the best possible balance of risk and reward given our circumstances"

and then Taupe, at my beckoning and with my explicit blessing, proceeded to unleash hell, predictably screwing us over in the process

and at no point during this entire chain of events did anyone -- me, Splint, anyone -- look at the exchange of ideas that was taking place and say, "y'know, Mr Frog, Taupe, despite all appearances unleashing hell may not in fact be the most beneficial course of action in this or any instance".

This bizarre, fundamentally-insane plan had, against all odds, lived out its entire life cycle from conception to development to approval to execution without being shot down. The Little Brain Fart that Could, if you will.

I dunno, I just find that very inspiring.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:22:21 am by Mr Frog »

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 05, 2015, 05:32:22 am »

...A mere few pages ago I was thinking about posting a story. Now, I am watching you guys casually unleash greater evil in order to keep this place going.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 05, 2015, 06:02:26 am »

What.
The.
Spoon.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 05, 2015, 07:51:19 am »

I didn't object because of the fact I had deliberately looked for the stuff, with the express intent/hope of someone mistaking those designations for something someone else forgot, that demons would swarm the fort and massacre everyone.

And in a way, I like to think I almost succeeded.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 05, 2015, 09:56:23 am »

!!I MADE A NOTE OF THAT!!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 05, 2015, 05:09:33 pm »

I woke up at about 5am this morning and realised, with terrifying clarity, that I had volunteered to attempt to save a fortress literally filled with demons, whose surviving population consists of about a dozen dwarves in various states of abject misery and who lack anything resembling the skills I need at the moment, all at what I'm pretty sure is single-digit FPS.

All of our old facilities are obviously inaccessible, so I'm currently in the process of getting basic food production restarted -- I am 99% sure I've sealed the clowns out of the second cavern layer, so I'm using that to gather plants from for the time being until I can get plump helmets going again. The passage up to the farming level is about halfway done. Once that's complete, I'll divvy up the jobs properly (currently I have basically everyone doing everything as needed) and select which lucky dwarf will let the demons out into the world :D

The good news is that there's enough umined stone around the Spire for me to safely block off the hallway to the top with a controlled cave-in without exposing our dwarves to carnage, so there's that. We should be swimming in adamantine trinkets once I get everything else done.

I'll wait until I finish everything to start posting writeups.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:13:26 pm by Mr Frog »

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 05, 2015, 06:59:13 pm »

If you're in single-digit fps, I'd say this is a good time to break out DFHack.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 05, 2015, 11:38:40 pm »

The plan got as far as it did because everyone it was awesome dwarfy plan with actually pretty good chance of success(at least I thought it was a awesome plan). If it wasn't for those damn tantruming dwarves breaking levers it might have succeeded. Now, that it broke someone going to need to go in and fix SPIREGATE, eventually. They'll only need to reconnect a lever. The endless tides of greater spawn will be the hard part. at least once the fort is stable again.

Also how in the ensuring tides of !!☼FUN☼!! did I die? I was turned into chunky salsa by a greater spawn like a lot of others wasn't I? :P

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 06, 2015, 12:01:52 am »

The plan got as far as it did because everyone it was awesome dwarfy plan with actually pretty good chance of success(at least I thought it was a awesome plan). If it wasn't for those damn tantruming dwarves breaking levers it might have succeeded. Now, that it broke someone going to need to go in and fix SPIREGATE, eventually. They'll only need to reconnect a lever. The endless tides of greater spawn will be the hard part. at least once the fort is stable again.

Also how in the ensuring tides of !!☼FUN☼!! did I die? I was turned into chunky salsa by a greater spawn like a lot of others wasn't I? :P

I was actually mistaken, at least at first; you were still alive at the time I gave the report (I think I just assumed you were dead because you wandered out of a "safe" area and I couldn't find you), and your eventual death was rather colorful, consisting of you somehow evading the GS swarms to get down to the dining hall only to be caught and engaged in a yakety-sax chase for a few in-game days which ended in you turning into a Spawn and suicide-charging your tormentors in a blaze of glory which unfortunately only resulted in minor contusions on the Spawn's part :V

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 06, 2015, 12:23:02 am »

Well, At least it was a more interesting death then open door head bit off. :) Because the spawn were chasing me, they weren't killing other dwarves which is at least semi-heroic death. However, if you found me in the dining hall I was most likely just trying to get a drink and find a nice chair to sit in. :P
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 140