Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 379668 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Everything Is Proceeding Smoothly
« Reply #945 on: November 08, 2015, 08:04:57 pm »

I just want to say, this recent turn of events REALLY reminds me of deathgate.

Lets not end up like deathgate did.

Please.

Never read much of it. What happened with Deathgate and why do I need to avoid it?

(Sorry for the late response)

Deathgate died to:

Crippling FPS Issues (We got those)
Releasing demons to the surface to deal with invaders (Oh yeah)
10 or so dwarves huddled together in the depths, half of them about to go insane (Check)

Also:

We should fight to the last dwarf. Who knows, we might actually survive this.
But if we give up and quit (Protip: Don't), this fort has a good enough mythos to warrant a sequel.
(Also, I'm pretty cheesed off that I didn't get a go at this orgy of chaos and destruction, so I kinda want a go at Clobbermountains II)
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: November 08, 2015, 08:28:45 pm »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: November 08, 2015, 08:37:01 pm »

Well, it isn't really giving up so much as trying to see if a tiny group of half insane dwarves can kill a Greater Spawn.

I'm guessing His Gaudiness is among the dead by now?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: November 08, 2015, 08:40:39 pm »

If he isn't we should abandon it so he can live on.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: November 08, 2015, 08:54:10 pm »

Keep going.
If it's going to die it's going to die, but we should make the world pay for every inch.
Yeah, fuck you world... for what I've done to y--... what you've done to... us.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: November 08, 2015, 08:59:21 pm »

I took a look at the save and there were 54 dwarves trapped dead-ended at the bottom of the central stair by one or two greater spawn way above them. Un-interrupted central staircase of doom. They stayed there as the spawn worked their way down and slaughtered them.

The greater spawn do seem to be rather weak vs. minecarts. Broken wings 'n things all over at mediocre speeds. Not sure how much that really softens them up though.

Sadly, had I finished that magma-mist generator hallway the banshees may have been a non-issue.

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: November 08, 2015, 09:26:46 pm »

Even as we drown, we should keep strangling the world on the way down, till the last dwarf is a corpse deep in the underground, or at least send the fortress off in a blazing rampage of glory!

Also, if we start a number 2, I would like a turn in it.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: November 08, 2015, 10:08:14 pm »

@Dolosus, Biggerfish, Aldraglienon:

I will probably do a second succession fort after this one, since I had a lot of fun running it (even though I was kinda on-and-off about it, lol -- I'm just proud I stuck with it for the duration) and I'm still not really satisfied with the story, hahaha (in particular, I think the Royal Mary Sue Archivist still has a few more tricks up her sleeve). I won't directly transfer the current turn list in that instance or accept pre-emptive signups, but I will give priority to people who were waiting for a turn here once/if the new fortress starts and signups are open.

Well, it isn't really giving up so much as trying to see if a tiny group of half insane dwarves can kill a Greater Spawn.

I'm guessing His Gaudiness is among the dead by now?

Surprisingly, His Gaudiness is not only alive, but was remarkably-unfazed by the massacre and is proving quite helpful as an impromptu mason/stonecrafter. Unfortunately, his mental state is steadily deteriorating, and he probably won't be able to live without his precious fully-engraved, gold-statue-bedecked dining room for much longer before his psyche disintegrates entirely.

Sadly, had I finished that magma-mist generator hallway the banshees may have been a non-issue.

:V Excellent, we can now pretend this was your fault even though it's actually mostly mine and also kinda Taupe's

E: I keep trying to find a dwarf to sacrifice in order to dig a tunnel for the demons to escape, but all of the dwarves I keep trying to volunteer for the job are doing stupid crap, like conducting meetings or being stuck in a Pickup Equipment task that they apparently have no interest in actually completing (seriously, he's just standing there in one spot doing nothing even though he's the task active for a few days, and won't respond no matter what I do). This is extremely frustrating.

E2: Our dwarves seem to really want to be outside for some reason, just as I'm getting ready to loose the demons. They don't even have jobs -- they're just hanging around outside.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 05:13:30 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: November 09, 2015, 05:39:26 pm »

There were hiccups (by which I mean I was literally shouting at my computer because the dwarves were refusing to cooperate), but the top of the Spire has now been sealed off without significant injury, and the tunnel to release the demons is now about 40% dug, with no other units save for the unfortunate miner, a Greater Spawn, and a hapless parrot left on the surface. Operation Spiregate is just about back on track. Minus about two hundred dwarves.

E: Correcting my estimate of the number of hairy idiots lost to this fiasco

E2: The release tunnel is now dug and the Greater Spawn are now free to frolic in the overworld to their heart's content, at the cost of one dwarven miner. The SPIREGATE is now complete; take a bow, Taupe.

I'll attempt to reclaim the adamantine spire and then get to work on the writeup, after which we will return to our regularly-scheduled succession madness. I really would love to attempt to build some kind of banshee-killing machine now that I've bought us some time, but I'm not eager to do so at 8 FPS (I tried various things with DFHack but none of it helped - I suspect the main issue may be the dozens and dozens of flying units we now have schmoeing around :V). That'll be on the next guy.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:51:09 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: November 10, 2015, 05:31:57 pm »

The Spire has been reclaimed. Gonna start on the writeup now.

Also, geez, three posts by me in a row .-.  Where did everyone go?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: November 10, 2015, 05:33:39 pm »

Well, I haven't had anything to say, and, you know, you're in the middle of something.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: November 10, 2015, 05:56:39 pm »

*Takes a bow*

Go go SPIREGATE! See, everything was under control. We'd probably be in a much worse position if I hadn't gone through with the project. Possibly. I mean, sure, there were some setbacks, but the core idea is definitely working.

...Unless you are dead, insane, missing, mutated, a migrant or a trader. But let's not focus on the minorities here.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:58:36 pm by Taupe »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: November 10, 2015, 06:40:06 pm »

We didn't strictly need the other 90% of the population, anyways. Really, sometimes simpler is better. Trimming the fat, if you will. And surface access, really, why bother with the hassle? The elves can go annoy themselves.

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: November 10, 2015, 10:11:32 pm »

Well, SPIREGATE did work, there was just two major minor lever problems. We just need to reconnect the broken lever and we should be able to use it as it was intended. Getting to the bridge, to reconnect it, is the problem.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: November 10, 2015, 10:49:53 pm »

Oh my Lord and Lady
I focus on Uni for a month and y'all destroy the world

I'm so proud :')
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 140