Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 378952 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Welcome to Purgatory!
« Reply #1035 on: December 03, 2015, 10:46:11 am »

Im fairly confident that bridges are impervious to building destroyers. Thats the main advantage over a floodgate. (I know because the last time I built such a project the demons trashed the floodgates. This time it should be fine...)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 03, 2015, 03:51:42 pm »

The mayor's death prompted a closer look at ghost busting already. We had slabs but I had to cancel the large smoothing project to get someone to start engraving them. There were about 5 migrants, a donkey foal and a duckling. I took one, Furg's another of the new arrivals (i think i'll make you the dwarf that bug-plugged the boarder).

Any other re-dorf re-quests? I don't want to re-name any of the fort's survivors though.

One month left in summer. I spent a whole month doing nothing but micro-ing the migrants. No progress on keeping us safe for the future :P

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: December 03, 2015, 04:05:01 pm »

Im fairly confident that bridges are impervious to building destroyers. Thats the main advantage over a floodgate. (I know because the last time I built such a project the demons trashed the floodgates. This time it should be fine...)

The wiki indicates that they may only be immune on the side that they raise towards, but the wiki's been wrong before.

(i think i'll make you the dwarf that bug-plugged the boarder).

bug-plugged the boarder

It took me a bit to realise that this was an actual phrase that actually meant something and I wasn't just having a stroke or hallucinatory episode. This fort is clearly taking a greater toll on my sanity than I thought.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: December 03, 2015, 06:57:34 pm »

The wiki indicates that they may only be immune on the side that they raise towards, but the wiki's been wrong before.

I don't think that's true, but if it is you can always dig a pit in front of the bridge.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 03, 2015, 07:10:30 pm »

I don't think that's true, but if it is you can always dig a pit in front of the bridge.

Yeah, it probably isn't true, considering that the demons in the depot were sitting almost directly on top of a lowered bridge for a couple months and they didn't touch it :V
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: December 05, 2015, 09:16:57 pm »

Diary Of Mastercrasher Wiltedsmith; Late Hematite

This is badness. This is Clobermountains. We all hoped we were wrong but already knew we were only wrong to have come here.

The dead here tell many tales but none recently have died to dwarven weapons. This area is ruled by the spawn now. The fortress itself is as good as lost to us.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Without suppiles the group cannot survive the wild any longer. Thikut is inspecting the wreckage of an elven caravan ahead but Mr.Furg has stopped dead in the path staring backwards as red clouds fill up the jungle behind us.

Thikut finds a pick and starts mining quickly though the silty clay loam. I quitely nudge Mr.Furg to get him moving to a meeting area a bit north of our hole without him seeing the trio of greater spawn south of us.

Thikut has completed a moderate hole in the dirt that may be a home or a grave. We all rush to get some booze, the animals, the anvil and whatever else could be grabbed inside fast.

It was close but Thikut got a wall up and we are secure in a survivable situation for a while. The exposed rock brings us the faint echoes of Dwarven industry. Thikut will soon mine a passage towards the fort in the hopes of encountering a safe area.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: December 05, 2015, 09:37:41 pm »

Excellent update, and good job on getting some migrants secured -- and with some additional supplies as well, as a bonus. Good show!

It occurs to me that we may be able to set up boltholes on the surface to allow migrants in, since the Spawn apparently aren't actually all that proactive about chasing after dwarves on the surface :V  Keep them sealed with drawbridges, and if a migrant wave shows up near one of them and there aren't any spawn in the immediate vicinity, briefly lower the bridges to let them in. Or something.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: December 06, 2015, 12:37:40 am »

Oh, of course; truly, the Spawn must grow complacent over time, falsely knowing that their prey remains surfaced, stricken by fear...

Excellent job getting them in, and best of luck in future waves! Seems as though this fort won't stagnate over all~

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: December 06, 2015, 02:38:38 am »

Oh, of course; truly, the Spawn must grow complacent over time, falsely knowing that their prey remains surfaced, stricken by fear...

Excellent job getting them in, and best of luck in future waves! Seems as though this fort won't stagnate over all~

My personal concern at the moment is that we appear to be running out of players. Of the 3 people on the turn list, only DolosusDoleus has posted here recently -- not that I really know how active any of them actually are, lol. Hopefully we'll get some more people in here once our prospects start to look up a bit. If I have to give away shitty MS Paint art in order to get people to give this fortress the death it deserves I friggin' will.

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: December 06, 2015, 02:53:59 am »

On and off over the last few days I tried using my meager art skills to draw something related to the fort

PS I might startle some people just so you know.

It isn't quiet finished because I have become more interested in practicing some of the problems with my art it highlighted.
Like doing highly reflective surfaces.
So I cleaned it up a little a put on a couple finishing touches, what do you guys think?
Also I know the blood is horrible I did it in like 10 minutes and it was late.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: December 06, 2015, 03:07:55 am »

On and off over the last few days I tried using my meager art skills to draw something related to the fort

PS I might startle some people just so you know.

- snip -

It isn't quiet finished because I have become more interested in practicing some of the problems with my art it highlighted.
Like doing highly reflective surfaces.
So I cleaned it up a little a put on a couple finishing touches, what do you guys think?
Also I know the blood is horrible I did it in like 10 minutes and it was late.

That's basically the last 1 1/2 turns summed up, yeah.

It has a good sense of lighting and atmosphere -- I like how everything's all gloomy, but then there's this shaft of light around the Greater Spawn. I like your take on the Spawn in general -- the way its head is just sort of dangling blankly is quite unnerving, as well as the giant hands, leathery skin... it's pretty cool.

For the sake of saying something negative... the soldiers look a bit indistinct. Try to define the edges a bit more sharply, maybe.

E: Also I am incredibly thrilled to finally get artwork in here after so long :3
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:10:17 am by Mr Frog »

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: December 06, 2015, 03:19:54 am »

Thanks for the criticism. And I agree about you assessment of the soldiers. I was having trouble getting the lighting on them right and kind of gave up on them and went and worked on the spawn. For example if you pay attention they should be casting shadows on one another but don't. I need to do some practice working with highly reflective surfaces like polished steel.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: December 06, 2015, 03:55:29 am »

kind of gave up on them

hsssssssssssss NEVER DO THAT. It's better to try and fail and learn something in the process than to not try and not learn anything period.

I wouldn't consider the steel surfaces to be too big an issue, tbh. It honestly looks about right for the overcast, somewhat-foggy lighting you have going on there, although I'm pretty bad at shiny surfaces as well so I'm not one to give advice on the matter.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: December 07, 2015, 11:57:27 pm »

*le bump*

How's it going Crash

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: December 08, 2015, 03:23:17 am »

OOC; Planned to finish up in one go on the weekend but had no time at all. Shorter ones through the week then. Not much going on down below.

Diary Of Mastercrasher Wiltedsmith; Galena, Late Summer

We've finally reached the survivors. Only six adults and 4 children remain. Uncle Erib is alive but rather cross. I had to hear all about the Electrolyzer fighting underwildlife all over the dangerously open caverns area, completely ignored mandates, ghost infestation, working like a peasant, and on and on.

Uncle Erib's attempts to get things on track fell on dead ears as Tun the mayor at the time was scared to death by one of the vengeful spirits. He was just steps away from Erib while gathering webs before their meeting.

After the mayor's death Uncle Erib took things in his own hands. With no other distractions everyone's efforts were focused on memorializing and interring the dead non-stop bringing ghost-related causualties down to a quartzite throne.

Once I was up to date he commanded me to assume overseership immediatley and get someone to finally start making some shields and scepters.
My second act will be to get work started on walling off our area of the carverns. Uncle Erib is still looking pretty unhappy. I think we can afford a cheap water feature in the plaza as well.
Lots of work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 140