Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 378936 times)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Welcome to Purgatory!
« Reply #1080 on: December 16, 2015, 03:37:49 am »

Diary Of Mastercrasher Wiltedsmith; Winter

At the first news of the beast Snang, all construction on flooring the new water tunnel is suspended and I have everyone retreat into the living area. The beast appeared from just west of our lake. Our walls to the north are unfinished due to the masons constantly standing in their own way and the tunnel is totally undefended save two cage traps.

It comes.

We attempt to wall ourselves in and at the same time there is a call for a volunteer to go and release the caged cave dragon which, if victorious, we might possibly re-capture but the beast is already at the edge of the incomplete northern wall. Looking around we make a poor accounting strength-wise. I've forgotten to pick up more bolts. Tensions are high.
Snang passes the gap in the wall and enters our lake. It swims towards to waterfall, but then stops before reaching it. It mills around aimlessly in the churning water for most of the month while we cower in terror before coming to a stop on a muddy slope. Paralyzed by fear it is a number of days before I send miners to sneak past the lake.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We all huddle in the dining room as the miners rush through their work. It is completed fast and the final cut made without support and fortunately without injury, without dwarven injury.

The alert over everyone got back to work. The masons still can't get out of their own way so additional constructions are ordered to make things different. We have to have those walls up.
The was a missing miner located at the bottom of the shaft defining a stone plug destined for the caverns lake. Other mining jobs are taken up to cut blocks that will hopefully seal off the old web farm from the rest of the old fortress in the hopes of retaking it.
Atir Channelowners ghost is put to rest.

The end of winter is here. Wall work drags on. The miners make short work of their tasks. I'm wondering if the cave dragon will be effective against the battered Greater Spawn now trapped in the textiles area.

Really expected to lose the caverns farms there but Snang didn't want to do anything but admire the waterfall mist. Wasted two months though.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: December 16, 2015, 04:27:32 am »

Oh shit we are still alive. Slowly but surely, the residents of Clobnermountains are renewing with the badic commodities of existence. In time, we may even reclaim the fortress.

We must remain vigilant, still. Once we run out of spawn, the dreaded banshees will ruin our lives. We must be ready when that day comes...

Also pleaze redwarf me as whatever we have that vaguely qualifies as a military officer.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 16, 2015, 04:29:40 am »

If dorfing is available, I'd like a dorf, though since I'm not done with the readthrough, it'll be a while before I can be active.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 16, 2015, 03:28:50 pm »

there is a call for a volunteer to go and release the caged cave dragon
I'm wondering if the cave dragon will be effective against the battered Greater Spawn now trapped in the textiles area.

At some point our primary method of dealing with anything big and nasty became "send something even bigger and nastier to deal with it" :V

E: Also, dwarfing list updated.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:39:43 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 16, 2015, 05:26:26 pm »

That's why I like strategic-yield weapons. They're always bigger and nastier, and they don't stick around after you're done. :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 16, 2015, 05:31:37 pm »

The obvious solution is to have a dedicated animal trainer with no other duties besides keeping the giant fire-breathing monster happy.

We have not the dorfs for magma.

Let us instead use ambulatory fire.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 16, 2015, 06:19:28 pm »

The obvious solution is to have a dedicated animal trainer with no other duties besides keeping the giant fire-breathing monster happy.

We have not the dorfs for magma.

Let us instead use ambulatory fire.

Cave dragons don't actually breathe fire for some dumb reason, but this made me grin so into the quotes bank it goes

That's why I like strategic-yield weapons. They're always bigger and nastier, and they don't stick around after you're done. :V

I saw "strategic-yield weapons" and very seriously thought I'd clicked into the Spearbreakers thread by mistake :V

tbqh I'd much rather the cave dragon be tamed and kept as a pet than used as cannon fodder, but we don't really have that luxury at the moment.

E:
Oh shit we are still alive.

Clobbermountains: A Condensed Summary
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:59:00 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: December 16, 2015, 07:06:06 pm »

-snip-
E:
Oh shit we are still alive.

Clobbermountains: A Condensed Summary

The prose is simple and brief, but eloquent.

-snip

I saw "strategic-yield weapons" and very seriously thought I'd clicked into the Spearbreakers thread by mistake :V
-snip-

I just... Like big explosions.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:11:46 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 16, 2015, 10:46:48 pm »

I just... Like big explosions.

This seems like an effective solution to the situation on the surface.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 17, 2015, 01:54:06 am »

Quote from: Amperzand
"Kill it with fire, poison the ground, and then drop a rock the size of Canada on it, just to be sure."

Ripley's Law, while fun to apply and always effective, is usually overkill, sadly. As such, lighter forms of orbital artillery are clearly needed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:56:23 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 17, 2015, 03:28:30 pm »

* 4maskwolf observes the goings-on in the thread.

Just stopping in and realizing that my turn is up next.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 17, 2015, 08:08:19 pm »

* 4maskwolf observes the goings-on in the thread.

Stay tuned for the thrilling sequel,
* 4maskwolf wonders how the hell we're not dead yet.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 17, 2015, 11:29:20 pm »

Diary Of Mastercrasher Wiltedsmith; Early Spring

The new year is rung in with a block of granite. The second needed to separate the silk farm from the rest of the old fort. The farm is still open to the caverns however up near the ceiling.

The ill-fated farmer with the secret mood, Mosus, rises to joint the queue waiting for burial attention.
Our miners have moved down and are preparing an area above the spire for extensive mining. Trapped or not, we still need wealth.
Tekkud, one of the young has reached peasant-hood. The labor-pool needs all the beards it can get.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 18, 2015, 01:24:57 am »

That poor pterodactyl(?)'s been through a lot :V

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 18, 2015, 02:18:41 pm »

I think mining the spire from the bottom up would be wise, in case someone inadvertantly hit a magma vein. Should that happen we'd just lose one unmined layer, rather than the whole thing.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 140