Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 372756 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Welcome to Purgatory!
« Reply #1110 on: December 22, 2015, 12:27:51 am »

Yeah, there are tunnels all over the place. It took quiet awhile to figure out what we control and what was instant death.

You mean to say there's something that isn't instant death in this place?

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: December 22, 2015, 12:34:03 am »

Yeah, there are tunnels all over the place. It took quiet awhile to figure out what we control and what was instant death.

You mean to say there's something that isn't instant death in this place?
The spot we control is a slow death. But yes their isn't anywhere which doesn't cause death eventually.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 22, 2015, 02:54:04 am »

Clobbermountains has become a literal death trap with an entirely-separate second fortress carefully constructed around it, where one must carefully take stock of both forts' layouts to determine whether a given area is safe for use before digging or opening up anything lest the entire fort be immediately obliterated by demons. This should go without saying, but y'all have completely surpassed all expectations I had for this place. *wipes away a tear*

@Aldrag: May I offer some critique on your writing? (Also, to everyone: for organisation purposes, I'd much prefer if fort updates are made into separate posts rather than being added onto an existing one, as I very nearly missed that last update.)

E: Put a notice in the thread title, since we seem to be running out of waiting players and I really don't want to have to scramble around for someone to take up the torch once Dolosus is done :V
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 02:57:51 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 22, 2015, 09:23:24 pm »

@Aldrag: May I offer some critique on your writing?

Yes, please. Writing is something I have had problems with for a long time.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 23, 2015, 01:18:23 am »

E: Put a notice in the thread title, since we seem to be running out of waiting players and I really don't want to have to scramble around for someone to take up the torch once Dolosus is done :V

Even if no one shows up after I take my turn, we have a great opportunity for an absolutely amazing player-induced death.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 23, 2015, 03:58:03 am »

@Aldrag: May I offer some critique on your writing?

Yes, please. Writing is something I have had problems with for a long time.

Okliedoklie. This is the first critique I've done in a long long time, lol:

Hope at least some of it's helpful, lol.

Even if no one shows up after I take my turn, we have a great opportunity for an absolutely amazing player-induced death.

I'd prefer to avoid intentional suicide if at all possible :V  I'd be pretty embarrassed tbh, since one of the reasons I made such a brutal fort was so that the fort would actually be able to run its course instead of just kinda continuing on forever until we get bored.

E: Made an actual honest-to-christ mistake in one of the "fixes" I suggested in the critique :V  That's all fixed'd up now.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:07:20 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Welcome to Purgatory! [Players Wanted!]
« Reply #1116 on: December 23, 2015, 04:17:58 pm »

Question: Do we have a system set up for killing banshees yet? Because if not and the greater spawn all die, we are boned.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Welcome to Purgatory! [Players Wanted!]
« Reply #1117 on: December 23, 2015, 06:20:48 pm »

Question: Do we have a system set up for killing banshees yet? Because if not and the greater spawn all die, we are boned.
Just... dig into SuperHell? Assuming such a thing exists.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 23, 2015, 06:38:46 pm »

Just... dig into SuperHell? Assuming such a thing exists.

Yes, of course! Then we can throw the Greatest Spawn at our enemies!

mikethete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 23, 2015, 07:36:16 pm »

I'm requesting a re-dwarfing, hopefully this time It will last  :P.

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 24, 2015, 01:19:27 am »

Would you just like a random dwarf or someone specific?

Also I'm probably not going to be able to get the next write up out today. Baring real life I should be able to have it finished by tomorrow.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 24, 2015, 06:19:54 am »

Would you just like a random dwarf or someone specific?

Also I'm probably not going to be able to get the next write up out today. Baring real life I should be able to have it finished by tomorrow.

Okiedokie. Don't feel the need to rush updates out, lol. As long as you keep in touch I'm pretty much good with whatever schedule works best for you (within reason).

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 26, 2015, 10:55:48 am »

Sorry about the delay guys, Spawn Claus was hunting me finally gave it the slip.

Malachite 3rd:
When I went to check on Zuglar, I discovered that he hadn't started his project because he was missing cloth. Checking the fort's stores, we only had silk cloth which means he needs plant fiber cloth. Not wanting to try and break back into the old fort for cloth, I tried to come up with other solutions. It occurred to me we might be able to find pig tail, if we gathered from the wild shrubs in our cavern. Sure enough we managed to find pig tails so I order the construction of a farmers workshop to process the pig tails at.

Malachite 11th:
The farmer's workshop has been completed and orders have been put in for the pig tails to be processed Also, to the North-west of the cavern, living mushroom men were spotted.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Malachite 17th:
One of the 4 children in the fortress, Adil has reached adulthood. He is a welcome extra hand.

Malachite 19th:
It's quite busy around here so it is taking awhile for someone to get to processing the pig tails. While we wait, I tell out masons to make cabinets for everyone's rooms.

Malachite 25th:
A few days ago, while still waiting for the pig tails to be processed, discovered that not very many people were actually told to farm. Because our food stocks were dipping, I found out, who didn't have very many specialized labors and told them to get farming. The new farmers were also told to make a small plot for pig tails as well. Later in the day, we heard the sounds of a new forgotten beast in the caverns above us but we arn't connected to the caverns above so we don't need to worry about it.

Malachite 27th:
There is a problem although the pigtails have been made into cloth zuglar hasn't gone and gotten any. Then, I remembered there is a third kind of cloth, wool. I know that there is a potential for zuglar to go berserk. If he is unable to complete his artifact, so I order the workshop to be walled off.

Galena 4th:
What should have been a few quick walls has turned into a giant fiasco.
First zuglar's workshop is right next to 2 other one's which means we needed to deconstruct them. When we tried to put up the walls, I received word there was stuff in the way. When I went and looked, I discovered a giant pile of stuff right in between zuglar's workshop and another. There was no way we were going to be able to move it all in time. We could always get it back later anyways so I ordered the two workshops which would be in the way of moving walls around the pile. When I gave that order, I didn't realize how much stuff was in the workshops. The entire area was covered in mechanisms and various wooden products. All of this has significantly delayed putting up the walls.

Galena 12th:
(I will be doing this entire section in ooc)
A human caravan came in the south-east corner right below where the greater spawn love to fly around.

despite being right below the spawn the humans actually managed to survive pretty well for a little while.
while the Greater spawn are chasing around the last trader and his horse a spawn ambush shows up.
Only one of the greater spawn break off from chasing the trader to go after the normal spawn.
They actually manage to do fairly well(note that gs didn't have the flashing wounded mark so probably didn't have many injuries before attacking the spawn didn't think to get a screenshot of before the engagement)
After noticing how injured that spawn was I decided to go check some of the others and discovered except for a few most of the spawn had incredible injuries.
However 3 more greater spawn show up and join the battle.
About this time I notice their are a lot of idlers and quickly go and make a couple new stockpiles because all the old one were full.
from about Galena 16th to the 20th the two sides duke it out and only two of the normal spawn die of the five original spawn 2 are elite wrestlers so it isn't that surprising their doing well. Then another spawn ambush shows up in a small tunnel into the main entrance
only 3 of the 5 in this second ambush enter first and engage the 5 gs in their by the time the other two show up two of the spawn are already dead
while the last three of the second ambush engage the spawn int the main entrance the other 3 spawn from the original ambush final are ripped to shreds. the other group doesn't take much longer. All of this finally ends on the 24th of Galena

Galena 24th:
When I went down to the workshops to check up on the clean up operations while giving instructions for the new stockpiles I noticed that Zuglar was gone. Baffled and confused, I looked around until I saw him mopping in the dining hall, At least he didn't go berzerk. Everyone was told to bring down the walls then continue the clean up.

Limestone 1st:
This morning, I went down to check up on the clean up operation and on the way, I discovered that a lot of stuff was missing from the new stockpiles.
When I rounded the corner to the clean up area, I saw all the supplies had been piled up right next to the mason's workshop.
No one admitted to the act but crafts and furniture don't move on their own.
OOC: I think saving the world then opening it back up has something to do with this because this happened in between the day before when I did Galena 24th and the day after it. I will know when I load the world next.

Limestone 9th:
When the last migrant wave mined their way down to us, they stockpiled a large amount of iron from the surface in their entrance. I have had stockpiles for bars and equipment made down in the caverns and ordered the iron to be reclaimed.

Limestone 12th:
We finally manage to get the first wave of iron down from the surface.
The few dwarves which stayed down informed me that a forgotten beast could be heard in the caverns on our level.Fortunately, I had the bridge to the caverns closed awhile ago so we don't need to worry about it right now.

Sandstone 5th:
It takes forever to get from the caverns to the surface! The iron is so heavy that it is making progress slow at best. Once I got back from helping haul down the latest batch. I was informed that Kib had taken a craftdwarf workshop. That's good we good need some cheering up after the failed artifact.

Sandstone 9th:
When I got back down from the last shipment of iron, I asked how Kib was doing. I was informed that he was making drawings of cloth. Checking the stockpiles confirmed what I thought. We still have some silk cloth and we also have plant cloth, which means Kib needs wool. I was angry but not at Kib just angry that their wasn't anything we could do.

Sandstone 16th:
While taking a break from the back breaking labor of hauling iron and getting a bite to eat, I discovered Zuglar slumped over in the lever room. He was  dead from dehydration. I asked one of the mason's to go and make him a coffin and got back to my work.

Sandstone 17th:
While talking with our carpenter about making some bins for all the stuff, we had brought down.I heard a loud commotion from over in the direction of the stairwell to the surface.Apparently a ghostly merchant had risen and while Mr Frug was eating had attacked him.
It ripped his left leg offf_
He is now resting in one of the beds. The bleeding has stopped, so we think he will recover. He will never walk without a crutch again, however. Right after pieced together, what happened from the witnesses, I order the construction of a memorial to the ghost.

Sandstone 23th:
The slab was placed in the same room as the incident and our nasty etheral visiter has moved on.

Sandstone 24th:
OOC: A migrant wave arrived and I managed to get them to pick up a pick and gather near where I wanted them to mine into the fortress from, however they just sat there for two days and when they finally were willing to do the mining the spawn showed up and killed them all.

Timber 6th:
For 2 months, we have been hauling iron down from the surface. Today, we have finally completed that project. Now, I am think of trying to finish off the last overseers project. A machine to obsidianize the lave next to the adamantine spire so we can safely mine it. He wanted to try and send a dwarf into the old fortress to flick a lever to open the door blocking the water but ask far as I can tell we only need to wire up the door and open it to the system so I don't know why we should risk going into the old fort.

Timber 17th:
OOC: A dwarven caravan showed up on the west side of the map and just sat their and the spawn who like to gather to the south east just ignored them.
Timber 20th:
OOC: A banshee ambush showed up in the south east corner... right below the spawn. They didn't stay long in this world.

Timber 23rd:
I was going around and making sure everything was going well around the fort, while waiting for the door and hatch to be linked up. Suddenly babbling came from over where Kib was sitting in the craftsdwarf workshop. It wasn't hard to figure out he had finally gone mad. I just hung my head in shame.

Timber 24th:
Today 3 new ghost showed up while I immediately order memorials engraved one of the ghosts over knocked one of the coffins. While, I understand you want your eternal rest. You don't need to be an asshole to others who are resting about it.

OOC: Another banshee ambush showed up in the tunnel to the main gate and the spawn in there came down and began fight them.
The banshee's didn't win obviously

Timber 27th:
While having one of the memorials for the ghosts we have put up, another one showed up. After sighing deeply, I had him added to the queue.

Moonstone 7th:
Now, that the ghost had been dealt with, I ordered the lever which would give us access to infinite water pulled.
It looks all fine. I should be able to get the machine up and running just as soon as the water fills up the tunnel.

Moonstone 15th:
The water flow from the basin behind the door stopped. While trying to work out why,I checked the maps for the old fortress and discovered that their is a bridge in the way of the water. I think I now know why Crasher wanted to get to that lever in the old fort. I still think going into the old fort is idiotic and we have no guarantee that the lever controls the bridge. It appears that the lever notes for the old fortress were forgotten in the fall. I decided to sleep on the problem and come back to it in the morning.

OOC: I have an important question can bridges deconstructed from below? If the answer is yes I have a plan. If not I think I will make airlocks to the surface to try and get more dwarves so we have dwarves that we can sacrifice on projects like this.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 11:14:48 pm by Aldraglienon »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 26, 2015, 12:23:44 pm »

Guaranteed that lever controls that bridge. It's blue. Plus I built it.

Also nice find with the pigtails. We needed that.

The supplies moving; there was a bug where de-constructing something would suck up all the loose items in the area and place them down in the same tile with whatever the construction had been made from.

p.s. I'm pretty sure; not from below
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 12:31:52 pm by Crashmaster »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: December 26, 2015, 12:45:01 pm »

*queue, not cue.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 140