Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 378014 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Turnlist Open; Sign Up Now!
« Reply #1260 on: February 15, 2016, 12:29:09 am »

Logic defying ghosts and suicidally brave kobolds. Great. I'll chalk those ones up with that time The Master somehow failed his fey mood in Spearbreakers.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: February 15, 2016, 12:34:10 am »

Logic-defying?  If you say so.

Oh dear.  Now he's going to SHOW UP.  AAAAAAA
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: February 15, 2016, 12:41:55 am »

Well, when a ghost decides he won't go away when he's memorialized...

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: February 15, 2016, 01:01:30 am »

He's a caravan guard who just doesn't show up in the list so I can't memorialize him. That's why I tracked down his corpse from the stocks screen so we could go after it if his ghost started causing trouble but it seems harmless.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: February 16, 2016, 01:17:49 am »

He's a caravan guard who just doesn't show up in the list so I can't memorialize him. That's why I tracked down his corpse from the stocks screen so we could go after it if his ghost started causing trouble but it seems harmless.

Dunno if DFHack can do anything about that, but if it can then you are cleared to do it. I think there actually is a function that'll directly make caravan guards engravable, come to think of it.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: February 16, 2016, 02:18:58 pm »

Oh what, this thread is suddenly alive again? This pleases me greatly.

Also, gonna confirm what Frog said, you can use DFHack to memorialize caravan guards.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Kadian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon (Semi-wild)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: February 18, 2016, 03:02:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure I'd love to have a dwarf in this mess of a fort. Preferably something to do with Swords or weapons in general (be it military or Smith). Onwards, to death?

Dwarf, not Overseer, mind you :P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:08:10 pm by Kadian »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: February 18, 2016, 04:12:12 pm »

Added Crash's updates to the list, updated the turnlist (in particular changing c.s.'s entry to reflect that he was simply aborted midway rather than skipped). I'm back, baby.

Excellent job as always, Crash. Pity the cave dragon didn't work. Clearly, we need to get !!CREATIVE!!.

I'm pretty sure I'd love to have a dwarf in this mess of a fort. Preferably something to do with Swords or weapons in general (be it military or Smith). Onwards, to death?

Dwarf, not Overseer, mind you :P

Okiedokie. One of these days we'll get people signing up again, lol.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: February 19, 2016, 02:32:45 am »

Journal of Royal Nephew Mastercrasher Wiltedsmith - Spring; 214

The new year brings fortune already as the mad old Overseer wanders into his room and I have him quietly locked inside. He wasn't really causing trouble nor did I expect him too, it just seemed too convenient an opportunity to ignore. I imagine his spouse might be somewhat put out but there might be a free bed in the housing expansion now and then.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We're digging in the spire site down below and making use of the stockpiled iron menacing spikes above constructing a repeating upright spikes hallway to deal with the FB silk farm Greater Spawn menace "Baitcancer," above.

Migrants arrive from the west. They do quite well for themselves on the surface gathering usefull goods into the western airlock. Two of them even venture to the east and get into a confrontation with a Greater Spawn. It just screetches a lot and they go back West and get back to work. (Anther surface encompassing 3D forbidding is called for - only You can prevent forest die'rs.)

At base camp it's been a comedy of errors and missed chances in the Forgotten Beast catching business. The water feature pool is refilling without problems at least. Permanent cells for the captured Forgotten Beasts have been laid out just West of the capture cells.

At the FB silk farm it's more of the same. The baby sent to, uh, lure Baitcancer into the upright menacing spikes hallway runs right past the thing leading it away from the trap. Another child shows up with a carpenter not far behind before doors start getting locked down and alerts activated.
(It had time for eight attacks; it screetched ineffectively seven times and grappled the dwarven baby once then released it. Very unleathal similar to the two migrants' recent encounter.)

With the targeted Greater Spawn busy destroying the microcline door that shut in it's face, we expect it will be stationary for a short time right on top of a section of the cavern already dropped through this area. A hurried mining project is capped off by Chaotic Skis' self-sacrificing efforts to cut the new block loose.
After the dust had cleared he was found to have survived a two z-level fall with only bruising and a collapsed lung. He fortuetously landed on a sloped ledge still 5 z-levels above the rock floor of the FB silk farm.

Baitcancer was thoroughly killed. In it's mangled but still reconizable body was found embedded Remdustik, "The Doused Boar," a copper battleaxe. Named by it's previous owner 'Fervus' Striketheater, legendary royal guard of the old fort. It is a potent reminder that we eak out a miserable existence hidden under the corpses of better prepared dwarves then us.

Elven caravan and Holistic ambushes on the surface. Those migrants are still alive in the west airlock. I should really let them in.

I'm seriously going to get around to seeing about Uncle Eribs needs soon, rooms, maces, shields, easy enough. What could go wrong?

It is now Summer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:46:00 pm by Crashmaster »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: February 19, 2016, 03:03:21 am »

The Honored Dead deliver to us a reminder of our former might, however insignificant a copper war axe may be.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: February 19, 2016, 04:01:52 pm »

The forgotten beast was thoroughly killed. In it's mangled but still reconizable body was found embedded Remdustik, "The Doused Boar," a copper battleaxe. Named by it's previous owner 'Fervus' Striketheater, legendary royal guard of the old fort. It is a potent reminder that we eak out a miserable existence hidden under the corpses of better prepared dwarves then us.

Daaaaaaamn, that's intense. May I have a description of the FB? I kinda wanna draw this.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: February 19, 2016, 10:02:24 pm »

Whups! editing and content error there. It was a heavily wounded greater spawn that we were trying to evict from the forgotten beast silk farm.

Baitcancer the Snarl of Rut...

I guess he is screeching with his chest-mouth?

He was covered in diorite dust. He wasn't in the silk farm back when the order to drop the supports went out and must have just snuck up the stairs and right under the block just as it fell getting grazed by the dust - bastard. The named copper battleaxe was lodged in his right lo... hmm.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: February 20, 2016, 03:05:28 pm »

His head is gone. Dude gives zero fucks. He can still outwit us.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 20, 2016, 03:23:26 pm »

His head is gone. Dude gives zero fucks. He can still outwit us.

His head is gone

Crap, I didn't realise this and my drawing's already pretty close to done. Oh well.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: February 21, 2016, 10:52:08 pm »

Finished the drawing:

also gonna put the description because I spent WAY too long typing this shit out:

Bit of a fun (if spoilery) story behind this one -- Clobbermountains was once a thriving fortress and capital of the mighty dwarven empire of the Torrid Lash, until -- in a moment of desperation -- we were forced to unleash the forces of hell itself in a last-ditch effort to rout invading enemy forces. This, predictably, backfired, as due to a mishap the demons gained entry into our fort's living quarters, where they proceeded to massacre our defenseless dwarves unchallenged -- a brief show of resistance by the fortress guard was quickly silenced, their pitiful gear and training being no match for the demons' terrifying might. In the end, only a small party of a dozen dwarves managed to escape the carnage by sealing themselves in a mason's workshop and setting up camp in the caverns.

Over the following years, our players managed to slowly reclaim bits and pieces of the old fortress from the demons though cunning and skill -- we lacked the manpower to drive them out through force, but were able to rout them indirectly through feats of engineering, cutting off their access to certain rooms and reclaiming the treasures within for ourselves.
    In particular, a lone demon had been wandering in a room which had been used to harvest the silk from a captured cave abomination, which had survived in isolation for years, ever since the fall of the old fortress. Reclaiming use of the room and the beast within would have gained us a reliable source of clothing for our hidden fortress; however, the demon within posed a problem, as it was far too strong to be dealt with by the meagre fighting force we could muster -- as was demonstrated when one player attempted to exterminate it by pitting it against a cave dragon, which was immediately torn to shreds. Fortunately, the player devised a new strategy -- drop blocks of raw stone through the ceiling in order to either crush the demon or let the resulting debris slam it against the walls. The technique proved effective, and the monster soon met its end as its obsidian heart was smashed to pieces within its chest. Embedded in the creature's broken corpse was a single copper battle-axe, a final memento from a long-dead soldier who met their end attempting to vanquish the beast -- a reminder of what we once were, and how far we had fallen.

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 140