Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 378779 times)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Turnlist Open; Sign Up Now!
« Reply #1275 on: February 24, 2016, 10:13:05 pm »

OOC; That's well-drawn, however it's pose in the shaft of light strangely makes me feel pity towards it. I mean, it looks evil, but sad.

Journal of Royal Nephew Mastercrasher Wiltedsmith - Summer; 214

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Summer starts with some cleaning up and re-building of facilities in the FB silk farm. The floor is being re-worked into a couple of retracting bridges. With the success of the airlock system proved, each one is now outfitted with a forbidden trade depot.
A child's strange mood results in little to note.

With less important distractions out of the way the Forgotten Beasts capturing program returned to it's normal success rate. Even better actually as both of the remaining known Forgotten Beasts in our cavern layer were caught at the same time. The holding cells construction is concurrently bumped up in our priorities.

Spire mining moves onward.

Final securing of the Forgotten Beast silk farm area is carried out at ceiling level.

Several ambushes of banshees in the east occupy the Greater Spawn on the surface as a Human caravan arrives from the west. The west airlocks are opened right to the depot.

Once they're inside the outer bridge is sealed and the two inner ones opened. While considering whether or not we shall trade fairly with these humans a casting error is discovered at the spire site. No big deal though. Maybe a couple months to fix it.

It is now Autumn

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: February 24, 2016, 10:30:57 pm »

Journal of Royal Nephew Mastercrasher Wiltedsmith - Autumn; 214

It was decided to trade the piles of stonecrafts unnecessarily created by the crafters while trying to fulfil Uncle Erib's needs for scepters in exchange for foodstuffs, animals and simple iron goods from the humans. Getting rid of that crap and not stealing a shit-ton more useless garbage were the deciding points.
As the spire site's current level of operations is flooded with magma for corrective casting the miners working on the sides above insist on crossing back and forth through the unpredictable flow. The whole area has to be forbidden to any traffic and almost not soon enough.

Forgotten Beast prisoner transfers have begun. However an attempt to get rid of low quality statues as bait resulted in further difficulties due to the speed with which they can be toppled. Much delays. Elsewhere Forgotten Beasts are now arriving in hell apparently.
With much rejoicing the caravan from Shakethmeng arrives safely in the west airlock. They are greeted by Uncle Erib who had apparently been locked in there a few months ago while getting a drink from the supply recently purchased from the human.

it is now winter

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 24, 2016, 10:50:42 pm »

Journal of Royal Nephew Mastercrasher Wiltedsmith - Winter; 214

The sound of running water coming from a sealed-off section of the old fort near our base camp indicates the Greater Spawn are still up to no good up there.

It seems a door holding back the water supply for the old fort's well system has somehow opened or been destroyed. Only a mica floodgate holds the rest of that cavern layer's lake back for now. With any luck one of the saplings in the hall to the stairwell will mature and plug the passage before anything happens to that floodgate.

A pair of raw adamantium coffins sweeten the successful trading of worn out clothing to the dwarven caravan for various foodstuffs, simple iron and steel items and some bins of leather. Things are chugging along quite smoothly if slowly here.
Ah, crap.

Wool cloth and bones may be issues for Uncle Erib's fey mood. The caravan is already packing up.
More Forgotten Beasts arrive, one of them in our layer. We're still wrangling the one's we already have. Eventually we should be able to venture into the cavern again. I hope.

Good news everyone!

Chaotic Skies suffers another miner fall while working on removing the patchwork of natural and constructed floors that made up the silk farm. He's ok. Broken false ribs sounds pretty made up.

After a few volunteer animals are butchered Uncle Erib finishes what is a very nice scepter. Hopefully that one will satisfy him for a while.

Up on the surface a cyclops is torn to shreds by a single Greater Spawn. They certainly have not failed in 'defending' the surface.
Another round of memorial slab engravings is ordered. Three this time.
Uncle Erib's new room's have been carved out and mostly smoothed. We are actually installing furniture as well. He's gonna be so ecstatic.

It is now Spring.

OOC; So I've played a bit longer then intended on the weekend. Two more months into spring 2015 running/fixing the addy mine and finally finishing His Gaudiness' rooms. It still takes forever to get anything done. If there's no objections I would like to wrap up spring before posting the save.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: February 25, 2016, 01:21:01 am »

You can feel free to do whatever the hell you please, dude. You actually got caravans into this hellpit. I am actually, sincerely in awe.

OOC; That's well-drawn, however it's pose in the shaft of light strangely makes me feel pity towards it. I mean, it looks evil, but sad.

They are kind of sad though, if you think about it. Twisted, malformed abominations sealed away for eternity in hell, with literally no other purpose in life than to exterminate dwarves. Like, if such a thing existed then I would genuinely feel sorry for it.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: February 25, 2016, 04:17:31 am »

Yeah, I do see that now. Especially given that after what was probably a lot of build-up for them, they find that exterminating dwarves is actually such a mundane and common goal in the overworld that they spend more time killing non-dwarves that are competing with them to kill dwarves. If only they knew that they'd been manipulated by dwarves all along. Tragic.

Truly it was Aldraglienon's airlock system that was the hero here. I just suggested throwing levers. Also having His Gaudiness still inside the west airlock while it was completely free and open to the outside world was quite the oversight. He's the real reason in-fort and in-thread that's keeping us going. I still can't believe what a hard-working dwarf that king is. He is everywhere and doing everything. The reason it seemed like I could get nothing done in Autumn was probably because His Gaudiness was locked in the west depot from just after the humans left to the arrival of the dwarven caravan :P

I'm still trying to come up with a simple enough solution to the Greater Spawn that we could try and carry it out. Bait is something we come up short on in every plan though so I've been trying to stockpile some breed-able animals for this purpose.

Oh and the Forgotten Beast showing up in hell? I've never seen that before and I don't think there have been any Greater Spawn wandering into hell from the borders ever either. After finishing with the mining of the spire site (and converting it to tree-farming maybe) we might want to move to hell. It's nice and roomy down there. Probably safer too.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: February 25, 2016, 11:54:25 am »

His Gaudiness does love his fucking scepters, that's for sure.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: February 25, 2016, 04:11:51 pm »

Yeah, I do see that now. Especially given that after what was probably a lot of build-up for them, they find that exterminating dwarves is actually such a mundane and common goal in the overworld that they spend more time killing non-dwarves that are competing with them to kill dwarves. If only they knew that they'd been manipulated by dwarves all along. Tragic.

Wow, I actually didn't think about that last bit, lol. We kinda bamboozled the poor things.

Truly it was Aldraglienon's airlock system that was the hero here.

You're still the first person after him to actually use it -- Dolosus and chaotic were (understandably) afraid to mess with the levers, I think. Plus... again, caravans. We actually have trade going now, all while sequestered safely underground while demons ravage the surface at will. This is incredible.

After finishing with the mining of the spire site (and converting it to tree-farming maybe) we might want to move to hell. It's nice and roomy down there. Probably safer too.

This is going in the quotes bank for no other reason than that I actually cannot believe I actually read this with my actual eyes. "Let's colonise hell, it'll be safer there." Jesus. The scary part is, you're probably right.

His Gaudiness does love his fucking scepters, that's for sure.

fucking sceptres

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: February 25, 2016, 04:19:48 pm »

You are 100% correct about those levers btw. I was sure that if I started pulling them I'd somehow simultaneously let the spawn in and make the fortress drown in magma somehow.

I still think the MOLE, if it's ever completed, will be a viable way to get rid of banshees once we reclaim upper clobbermountains. At this point I just imagine my dwarf gibbering to himself over his unfinished creation.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: February 25, 2016, 04:30:58 pm »

You are 100% correct about those levers btw. I was sure that if I started pulling them I'd somehow simultaneously let the spawn in and make the fortress drown in magma somehow.

I still think the MOLE, if it's ever completed, will be a viable way to get rid of banshees once we reclaim upper clobbermountains. At this point I just imagine my dwarf gibbering to himself over his unfinished creation.

You're definitely right about the MOLE. Problem is, regaining access to the old fortress is entirely contingent on whether Crash can pull yet another miracle out of his ass and clear out the demons somehow. They're kind of a double-edged sword.

An idea that just occurred to me is that we could conceivably lure the remaining Greater Spawn into a room using a bait animal and subsequently seal them inside with drawbridges or controlled cave-ins. We don't necessarily need them dead, we just need them to not be in our living quarters.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 04:33:01 pm by Mr Frog »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: February 25, 2016, 04:37:13 pm »

After finishing with the mining of the spire site (and converting it to tree-farming maybe) we might want to move to hell. It's nice and roomy down there. Probably safer too.
Yes, let's move all the dwarves to hell. We'll have effectively traded places with the greater spawn.

Ideally, someone will seal the spire with adamantine gates. In a few generations, the descendants of the greater spawns will dig too deep and too greedily, and unleash dwarves.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: February 25, 2016, 06:30:01 pm »

Yes, let's move all the dwarves to hell. We'll have effectively traded places with the greater spawn.

Ideally, someone will seal the spire with adamantine gates. In a few generations, the descendants of the greater spawns will dig too deep and too greedily, and unleash dwarves.

This. This right here.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: February 25, 2016, 07:05:46 pm »

This. This right here.

It's funny because dwarves are objectively-horrifying creatures that pillage the earth for its riches, defile it with vulgar fortresses engraved with countless images of violence and depravity and cheese, and obliterate the environment by axe and flame, and gleefully genocide all surrounding species when they're not busy executing and imprisoning their own kind over trivialities...
Whereas the Greater Spawn are by comparison rather-easygoing creatures who simply want to purge the earth of the dwarven menace infesting its fields and caverns. Really, an argument could be made that Holistic and her ilk are the heroes here.

Now I'm kinda hoping that we never get rid of the demons so I can make the next fort use Greater Spawn as the playable race instead

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 25, 2016, 10:15:39 pm »

Truly it was Aldraglienon's airlock system that was the hero here.

Thanks, good to see my project is contributing to the forts survival!

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: February 25, 2016, 10:50:49 pm »

I think I contributed...getting the schedule back to Spring to Winter instead of Fall to Summer.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:06:16 pm by chaotic skies »
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: February 27, 2016, 03:05:06 pm »

Just a report of no progress due to some cat caring-for. My roommate was due home Friday but thursday his cat shows up beside my chair covered in blood. Freakin' panicked for sure. Possible artery nicked under a tear in his LF. No longer nose-pale, he's doing fine but coned and requires more attention. Probably will still do some DF'ing this weekend though.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 140