Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 377422 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Literally Begging For Players
« Reply #1485 on: April 22, 2016, 06:03:12 am »

If we can't win with brute force! If we can't win with strategy! If we can't win with honour!
WE WILL WIN WITH CHEAP TRICKS!

Isn't this basically how DF is generally played though

or have I been doing it wrong this whole time

Yes.

Puzzlebark

• Bay Watcher
  • IT'S TIME TO STOP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 22, 2016, 07:42:32 am »

May I have a dwarf and a turn? The dwarf calls himself "The Puzzler" and is a stonecrafter. If there are no stonecrafters available, any civilian job will do.
Puzzlebark, Basement Dweller cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by real life.

Read (or possibly add to) the story of Beerboiled!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 22, 2016, 02:01:01 pm »

If we can't win with brute force! If we can't win with strategy! If we can't win with honour!

Yes.

So my brilliant plan to kill HFS by dropping a giant slab of granite on them (or as I called it "the ACME solution") was not in fact how the game is supposed to be played?

May I have a dwarf and a turn? The dwarf calls himself "The Puzzler" and is a stonecrafter. If there are no stonecrafters available, any civilian job will do.

Eeyup.

E: Also, it occurs to me that I have absolutely no idea which dwarves have been dorfed or not, which kind of defeats the purpose of the dorfing list...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:16:19 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 22, 2016, 04:05:11 pm »

Yes.

So my brilliant plan to kill HFS by dropping a giant slab of granite on them (or as I called it "the ACME solution") was not in fact how the game is supposed to be played?

Please, somebody, set anvil production on repeat.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: April 22, 2016, 05:07:22 pm »

I once came close to killing a FB by dumping an anvil thirty z's on it. Sadly I missed.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: April 23, 2016, 03:20:15 am »

Yes.

Correct
But then again, what's the fun in playing games the way they're supposed to be played~? she says as she designs a strategy game in which intentionally doing the wrong thing will get your entire army killed

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: April 23, 2016, 09:33:09 pm »

Yes.

Correct
But then again, what's the fun in playing games the way they're supposed to be played~? she says as she designs a strategy game in which intentionally doing the wrong thing will get your entire army killed

I was about to make a snarky comment along the lines of "lol dumbass we already have that it's called Fire Emblem"... but then I realised that I'm currently making a game that can be summed up as "Earthbound except poorly-made and with a different battle system and a tumblr-friendly protagonist" so I really don't have the right to criticise others for redundant concepts particularly since the whole "quirky indie game that takes numerous stylistic cues from Earthbound" genre has basically been won now; love it or hate it, Undertale was the 900-megaton nuke that ended the battle and latecomers like me may as well pack up and go home

ANYWAYS

I lost track of what was happening here due to a combination of illness and stupidity, but I finally figured out that Dolosus had in fact cancelled his turn! Gonna send Puzzlebark a PM shortly.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Tablen Arue

• Bay Watcher
  • Roll the dice, the RNG god is my friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 23, 2016, 10:42:31 pm »

I've only just started reading this story and I must say, this is already hilarious and fun in all of its meanings.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:44:57 pm by Tablen Arue »
You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain

Puzzlebark

• Bay Watcher
  • IT'S TIME TO STOP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 23, 2016, 11:25:25 pm »

Alright, my turn is up! Downloading the save file...

Oh, yeah. I don't know how to get the save into my game. Help, anyone?

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I forgot this was a 34.11 fort. Silly me!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:35:42 pm by Puzzlebark »
Puzzlebark, Basement Dweller cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by real life.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 24, 2016, 12:50:33 am »

Alright, my turn is up! Downloading the save file...

Oh, yeah. I don't know how to get the save into my game. Help, anyone?

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I forgot this was a 34.11 fort. Silly me!

Unzip the contents of the .zip into DF's save folder (under data). Make sure that the save isn't accidentally put into its own subfolder (what I call "nesting folder syndrome").

Puzzlebark

• Bay Watcher
  • IT'S TIME TO STOP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 24, 2016, 12:57:24 am »

1st Granite, 216

So, I guess I'm the new overseer. The election of a new overseer every year has been a tradition that's been around since this dump fort was founded. I wouldn't call myself a good leader. Far from it, actually, so I have no idea why I was chosen to be the next Overseer. Whatever, this will be a way better job than making rock scepters all day and all night. I guess the first thing I should do is see what's going on around the fort. Oh yeah, you can call me The Puzzler. Why? I just think it sounds cool. The other dwarves think I'm weird, but who cares what they think, right?

Hold up, why the fuck are there four Forgotten Beasts in this one area?

Jesus christ, there's demons and blood everywhere. So this is why the previous overseers sealed us underground...

So I have to make sure this place isn't completely fucked over by all this screwed up shit for a year?

Huh. I'm suddenly glad we'll probably never see the sun again.

This place is such a clusterfuck. Where the hell is everything?

And what's all this adamantine doing there? I looked for tunnels and entrances to this room for a bit, and found that nothing dangerous could really get in there! Why aren't we putting this stuff to use? As of now, securing that stash of adamantine is my top priority.

Why is this legendary miner MAKING FUCKING TROUSERS? I hope the previous overseers know that smoking rat weed is punishable by a hammering.

This place is a mess. Since I can't really change that, I'll just focus on doing things that will help in the long run, like taking back that adamantine. (Why the fuck aren't we using that?)

12th Granite, 216

It'd be nice if you could filter announcements, or at least tell your dwarves to shut the fuck up.

The dwarves are digging a tunnel to the adamantine stockpile. You could say it makes more sense to dig straight into the stockpile, but I want to save that poor dog. Who knows how long he's been down there?

I've ordered an area to be dug out near the forges. This is where we'll store the adamantine from now on.

After looking around in this area for a bit, I decided that this area, and the rooms upstairs, are safe. Nothing can really get into them. These rooms are just begging to be reclaimed and used.

23rd Granite, 216

I don't like the fact that there's a ghostly axedwarf fucking with the soldiers. I order a stone slab to be built for him.

4th Slate, 216

The dwarves have begun moving the adamantine.

Hopefully, the future overseers won't use it for stupid shit like levers.

What are you doing outside?! You know there's dangerous denizens out there! I mean, we don't really need a novice craftsdwarf, but #DwarfLivesMatter, am I right?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:12:57 am by Puzzlebark »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 24, 2016, 01:08:49 am »

You're using the wrong links for the images; you're linking to the imgur page that the image is displayed on, when you want the direct link to the image itself. To get this, right-click the image, then select "Copy image address".

E: Also, as far as getting the adamantine goes... make absolutely sure that the area you're retrieving it from is, in fact, safe and is not in Demonland or something. Because we have a slight demons-infesting-half-the-fort problem.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:13:23 am by Mr Frog »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 24, 2016, 07:53:31 am »

Check those FBs again, there's way more than four.

Puzzlebark

• Bay Watcher
  • IT'S TIME TO STOP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 24, 2016, 08:57:26 am »

Quote from: Mr Frog
You're using the wrong links for the images; you're linking to the imgur page that the image is displayed on, when you want the direct link to the image itself. To get this, right-click the image, then select "Copy image address".

Oh. Fixed that, thanks for telling me!

Quote from: Mr Frog
E: Also, as far as getting the adamantine goes... make absolutely sure that the area you're retrieving it from is, in fact, safe and is not in Demonland or something. Because we have a slight demons-infesting-half-the-fort problem.

I know that. There's nothing in the tunnels that connect to the adamantine storage room, and we're sealing the place off as soon is we get all the blue rocks out. I'm also going to get our soldiers to protect the dwarves while they're hauling, if necessary.

Quote from: TheFlame52
Check those FBs again, there's way more than four.

Heh, I know that. It's crazy outside of the cavern living space...

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: April 24, 2016, 12:07:37 pm »

Adamantine should be safe. It was stockpiled there close to the spire site since the space was already dug and labour was short ;) The walled-off-dog rooms (ex-bunkers-project) were sealed away because the sub-fort was too big for the dwarves we had and some would spend way to long walking all the way to them.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 140