Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 372666 times)

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- You Must Be This Tall To Live
« Reply #1635 on: May 26, 2016, 01:08:25 am »

Ok, let's get this train wreck to the next station then I can pass it on to the next conductor.

Moonstone 2nd: While make coffins to shovel corpses into, I have decided to catalog all the important levels and what I should try to recover first.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here is the level where I plan to cut off the main staircase regaining access to the main gate, an armory, and a strange lava based device. I have also checked and their should be no Spawn above this point in the fortress.
Recovery: Vital

Probably one of the most valuable tombs in the entire fortress to one Marksdorf Pisskop, I have no idea why but for some reason he was given a small but incredible valuable tomb with gold furniture and gem windows. To recover it intact we will need to claim another level.
Recovery: Extreme preferably intact

OOC: I messed up and didn't save the image for this level properly , I can't say much more because it would spoil later parts of the update. However some good images of this level will show up below.
To require the tomb we will need to recover this level, the second cavern entrance, which would be nice to recover for other reasons. There are dozens of forgotten beasts in the caverns which could be a problem, luckily the only visible forgotten beasts near the entrance are trapped away from most of the area and shouldn't bother us even if something goes wrong. This will be a very dangerous but valuable grab.
Recovery: Extreme

While it possesses extensive engraving and a dozen gold statues there are simply more valuable targets.
Recovery: Low

These rooms which are all together appear to be the old noble quarters while possessing great wealth, no spawn on two of the levels, and a tomb which I am sure His Gaudiness would like, the room with all three GS huddling together, and a better grab then the single room there are simply more important targets to grab first
Recovery: Mid

I think we can probably let the ancestors lie in peace while it would be nice to recover it is not a priority.

We already have our own rooms will not as nice as these we can make them better, our rooms also don't have two Greater Spawn lounging out in the halls.

This appears to be a level for making soup so it isn't that important however it does have some levers which might be good to acquire, will be hard to recover however because their is a spawn hovering above the second staircase near the main Staircase.
Recovery: Mid

This level has a large and varied food stockpile which could be nice to acquire, however there are two spawn here which is a pretty big problem and the one standing on the staircase here is the one which makes the Soup level (which is two levels down) second stair dangerous.
Recovery: High
OOC: When I uploaded the above image I noticed a spelling error it is me not my.

This should be all the important levels their are a lot more but none have quiet as much wealth or value as these ones.

Moonstone 13th:
While waiting for our miner to make his way to the point where we're going to breach the mainstair I have begun placing coffins so we can bury all the corpses that are in the industry level.

Moonstone 27th:
My plans to block off the main staircase have hit a snag because I don't have anyone available to do it. Getting the old industry level cleaned up is taking up all the forts dwarf power. Oh and the Hammerer has just been taken by a mood.

Moonstone 28th:
Our moody dwarf has claimed a magma forge which brings great hope for something awesome and great possibility for despair and disappointment

Opal 11th:
Still waiting for a miner/mason to clear up. Besmar Morulas, a migrant, has been sitting in the middle of our little cavern in a stat of starvation, dehydration, depression, and tantrums every once in a while, looks like this Mad fort broke another dwarf.

Opal 17th:
Will trying to work on the staircase Besmar died, oh well back to the project.

Opal 20th:
I have finished flooring over the mainstair now just need to connect us to the upper fort.

Opal 24th:
We now have access to the upper levels I am not going to clean it up because I have other areas to claim the next overseer can tidy things up I will however wall off some spots I think things might be able to get into the fort from though.

Obsidian 1st:
Uh for some reason our cook dropped dead right in the middle of the fort... that's probably bad.
OOC: I think this was forgot beast syndrome from one of the levels we opened up, my successor should probably work on cleaning up the levels we have recovered.

Obsidian 12th:
I had urist, one of our miners, go into the second cavern entrance level. After wall off the way behind himself, He managed to block off the cavern entrance and blocked in a cavern ogre that might have caused problems, we now have the second cavern entrance and the gem window tomb secured, for now I will have him go and remove the wall which blocks us off from disaster.
OOC: I wrote the blocks us off from disaster part before the disaster happened as part of my notes I think I kinda jinxed it.

Obsidian 13th:
CRAP! Urist wandered through a staircase I missed and went all the way up to where my first trap is. He was trying to get food from the stockpile in the old fort now he is in combat with a demon! I going to put him into a squad and have him fight the demon, while we try to wall of the path he took!

Obsidian 15th:
That is the forgotten beast Dou Eshmaeraeloh Vysdorrerabiememme! I don't know where he came from but he is killing all the dwarves trying to make their way into the old fort. This is going down hill quickly! I need to move my wall designations back and block off this area!

Obsidian 17th:
I forgot we had a military and sent them in to try and slow down the monster while we try to wall off the path to the old fort, if they manage to kill it, I will carefully let them back in. I also put all of the dwarves into a burrow which is the entire area we control to stop them from wandering into the old fort. Oh and a spawn army arrived on the surface not really important right now but I thought I should mention it.

Obsidian 18th:
We managed to get some walls up blocking off the stairs which nearly brought us to ruin and the military didn't manage to get to the beast before we blocked off the stairs so we didn't loss them too.
That went well...
When this disaster began we had about 73-75 dwarves we now have 55 dwarves compared to the disaster of old when hundreds died this wasn't so bad, we only lost 17-19 dwarves
OOC: Oh and by the way flame your dead and as far as I can tell your the only named casualty.

Obsidian 19th:
After looking around I discovered where the forgotten beast came from. Two wells in an area I though was completely blocked off. This entire operation went horribly wrong.

Obsidian 20th:
I have ordered the construction of slabs were going to need to memorialize as many as we can if not for them then for us because everyone is miserable... And tantruming
well not everyone but a lot are.

Obsidian 23rd:
I just learned something His Gaudiness had a child! Emphases on had.

Obsidian 25th:
To try and alleviate some of the stress of the disaster I have ordered some of the golden statues we acquired form the old fort constructed in the dining hall.
However we don't actually have enough labor right now to get anything done so this probably won't be finished by the end of my overseership.

Obsidian 27th:
The first in what I think might be very many has gone mad.

Granite 1st: Although I have managed to recover several levels of the old fort I do not think I will be remembered for that no, I think I will be remembered for the disaster my actions caused rather then the lost works I saved...

OOC: I give to the next in line... The fort in utter shambles. Hoisted by my own petard, Stabbed in the back by my own sword, Hanged by my confidence, etc

I kind of fucked up there and if I had thought of the burrow faster we might have lost a lot fewer dwarves, Oh well we still have most off our population at least.
I think it just need's to be said but, WHY? WHY is this place build like Swiss cheese, infested with demons, and beasts from god knows where? We can probably safely blame Taupe  :P

A word of warning to anyone that tries to recover anything from the old fort, quadruple check that you didn't miss any holes, stairs, and or wells that is where the dwarves will escape into the old fort, Forgotten beasts drop down from the ceilings and over all ruin your day.

Oh also a few other suggestions for the next overseer, I suggest you replace all the stone furniture with metal in the dinning hall might get everyone one up from very unhappy. And I set up some slabs to be engraved I suggest you place them.
The fort has absolute zero idlers and most likely will be that way for at least an entire season. I would also suggest prioritizing getting migrants inside, because we lost a dozen plus dwarves and we will need a lot more for things to start running smoothly again.
I haven't reclaimed anything on the upper levels and in the cavern entrance we recovered, mainly because we don't have the dwarf power to do it at the moment.

Oh and their are two things which I forgot to screen shot during the madness one but I still can go back and screenshot:

Artifact I mentioned earlier. I also have screen shot of when the artifact was started but I don't think I need to put that one up because I forgot to note when it happened so I have no idea where I would put it

And the aftermath of the Forgotten Beast massacre.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: May 26, 2016, 03:45:33 am »

I am laughing so, so hard right now. This is the most quintessentially Dwarf Fortress thing I have seen in a long, long time. Absolutely magnificent.

E: Suddenly very relevant:
WELCOME TO CLOBBERMOUNTAINS!
No demon incident since:
turns!

Also, our turnlist is now open again, so anyone checking in here for the first time is encouraged to try their hand at this mess!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:50:36 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: May 26, 2016, 11:49:44 am »

Since when was losing 15+ un-claimed migrant dwarves to accomplish something a disaster? Maybe a bit of a labor shortage issue and the place is a little messy here and there.
I wonder if His Gaudiness' child could have arrived in the migration wave?
I think I'll take a look at formulating a plan to repair my magma trap, whatever I was calling it.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: May 26, 2016, 12:41:34 pm »

Next guy, make me the captain of the guard.

I think this is going really well! It reminds me of when I retook Necrothreat III. Despite all the deaths and upset, we're still making progress.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: May 26, 2016, 01:44:27 pm »

Honestly, as long as His Gaudiness survives, the rest of our dwarves can suck it (except for those named for the esteemed members of our fair community of course 0:)  they can elect to not suck it if they so please). The more crises hit the fort that our #1 tyrant somehow lives through, the greater his legacy becomes.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: May 26, 2016, 03:01:21 pm »

Honestly, as long as His Gaudiness survives, the rest of our dwarves can suck it (except for those named for the esteemed members of our fair community of course 0:)  they can elect to not suck it if they so please). The more crises hit the fort that our #1 tyrant somehow lives through, the greater his legacy becomes.
Dying horribly: A personal choice.

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: May 26, 2016, 09:32:44 pm »

Dying horribly: A personal choice.
Yah, You chose to immigrate to the death trap fortress or you don't. Unless you were born their, then it sucks to be you.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: May 28, 2016, 08:37:16 pm »

Where have all the players gone?
And where is all the !!FUN!!?
Where's the hapless Icarus
To fly too near the sun?
Isn't there a patsy to buy this cranky steed
Late at night I toss and turn and I dream of what I need

I need some players
I'm holding out for a player till the end of the night
They've gotta be quick
and they've gotta be slick
And they've gotta be ready to write
I need some players
I'm holding out for a player till the morning light
They've gotta have plans
and they've gotta have schemes
and they've gotta be larger than life

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: May 28, 2016, 08:49:46 pm »

To fly too near the sun?

I need some players
They've gotta be quick
I need some players
They've gotta have plans

You just have to wait for summer, and then BAM! Suddenly students flood into the forums and gobble up spots in succession forts.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: May 29, 2016, 12:20:49 am »

To fly too near the sun?

I need some players
They've gotta be quick
I need some players
They've gotta have plans

You just have to wait for summer, and then BAM! Suddenly students flood into the forums and gobble up spots in succession forts.

True, but I saw an opportunity to post shitty song lyrics and I wasn't about to pass it up.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: May 29, 2016, 01:23:40 am »

Second turn m8s?

Seems like I am an early bird... or just mad and lazy enough to spend time on forum activities rather then studying for my exams (which take up June at most).
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: May 29, 2016, 06:09:37 am »

Heh. In high school. We got out like may 15th. Don't know how long ago that was because I can't keep track of time. Days blur together when you don't sleep.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: May 29, 2016, 03:56:35 pm »

Second turn m8s?

Seems like I am an early bird... or just mad and lazy enough to spend time on forum activities rather then studying for my exams (which take up June at most).

Okiedokie, but please don't put this before your schoolwork (this goes out to everyone btw; I hadn't realised that exams were coming up). I'm okay with just having a trickle of updates until school settles down.

Days blur together when you don't sleep.

Are you okay?

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: May 29, 2016, 08:31:26 pm »

By my standards? I'm sleeping forever, eating a ton, and in general am having a good time. By most people's standards? I'm sleep deprived and I don't eat nearly enough. Depends on perspective.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: May 31, 2016, 02:02:56 pm »

Okay, I picked up the save and... When did Dorf!Liz die? "No named dwarves they said, save some dude they say".

Found her corpse. I guess, we're in need of Splint with his attention to named dwarves and their fates. It's wonderful though how this fortress smashed all dorfs of mine (and there were many).

Concerning the fortress itself, things aren't as bad as they seemed.

EDIT: Wait, they are.

We have most of the populace, including the king, on the verge of madness. At least, we've got housing available for latest migrants.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:18:28 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 140