Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 378226 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Things Are As Bad As They Seem
« Reply #1665 on: June 02, 2016, 12:57:38 am »

As long as you can manage it schedule-wise, go ahead. That sounds quite interesting.

I downloaded the previous turn's save. Wow. I'd like to say at first glance, I think you made a fort that makes Deathgate look less doomed.

(I don't think the situation is unsalvagable. If the Spawn are still lurking come my turn, I have a couple ideas on how to reclaim the surface, but oy.)

Lol that poll is months old by now. I'm keeping it there as a monument to my slight overreaction to Taupe accidentally swarming the fort with demons.

Also, I was thinking about your idea, and unfortunately a couple problems occurred to me:

1. Aside from a bolthole leading into the trade depot and from there a long, featureless tunnel winding down to the top of the Spire which has been blocked by a cave-in, the interior of Clobbermountains is entirely isolated by drawbridges which can only be operated from within the fort.
2. The surface of the fort is crawling with demons.

1 should be easily surmountable if you open one of the airlocks before abandoning and going in with an adventurer, but slipping past the Greater Spawn may prove problematic.

E: Also, it occurred to me that you might be able to get in by jumping into the volcano and landing on the arena walkway if you're feeling saucy and don't mind a few broken bones.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:05:37 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1666 on: June 02, 2016, 01:10:57 am »

Lol that poll is months old by now. I'm keeping it there as a monument to my slight overreaction to Taupe accidentally swarming the fort with demons.

Also, I was thinking about your idea, and unfortunately a couple problems occurred to me:

1. Aside from a bolthole leading into the trade depot and from there a long, featureless tunnel winding down to the top of the Spire which has been blocked by a cave-in, the interior of Clobbermountains is entirely isolated by drawbridges which can only be operated from within the fort.
2. The surface of the fort is crawling with demons.

1 should be easily surmountable if you open one of the airlocks before abandoning and going in with an adventurer, but slipping past the Greater Spawn may prove problematic.

E: Also, it occurred to me that you might be able to get in by jumping into the volcano and landing on the arena walkway if you're feeling saucy and don't mind a few broken bones.

My adventurer survived Deathgate ;). That's why I have the game open in fort mode to get them to open the bridge to get them get destroyed by the Spawn so I can try and fight my way in.

(BTW, to the current overseer: for happiness, make different types of booze. They're drowning in wine. The "Same sorta booze" thought is doing wonders at keeping everyone miserable)

EDIT: Found the lever. Clobbermountain's death is well on its way.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:19:12 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: June 02, 2016, 01:24:42 am »

EDIT: Found the lever. Clobbermountain's death is well on its way.

It has been for the past eight turns, but the traffic was terrible.

E: Also, the perma-misery is probably more due to a minor 20-dwarves-getting-their-faces-eaten incident we just had (out of curiosity, how far have you read so I know what not to spoil?)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1668 on: June 02, 2016, 01:27:56 am »

E: Also, the perma-misery is probably more due to a minor 20-dwarves-getting-their-faces-eaten incident we just had (out of curiosity, how far have you read so I know what not to spoil?)

I'm up to about page 30. Going to binge read after I've got a save I can work from. Our military is incredibly ineffective against the spawn. For funs, I had them gang rush one, and well ... RIP.

EDIT: Down to 10. Won't take long now.

(its been quite a long time since I killed a fort. Usually FPS death kills me, or save corruption)
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: June 02, 2016, 01:31:01 am »

I'm up to about page 30. Going to binge read after I've got a save I can work from. Our military is incredibly ineffective against the spawn. For funs, I had them gang rush one, and well ... RIP.

EDIT: Down to 10. Won't take long now.

(its been quite a long time since I killed a fort. Usually FPS death kills me, or save corruption)

Happy reading! Shit gets real around page 60.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1670 on: June 02, 2016, 01:34:41 am »

Happy reading! Shit gets real around page 60.

Thanks. Is there an infinite water source on the map? I found the lake in the caverns, but that's finite. Kinda puts a crim on my plans to reclaim the surface if there isn't. (I'll have to rig something else up rather than go with dwarfy plan 1)

EDIT: Found the ocean in Cavern 1.

EDIT 2: The fort is very close to the migration cap: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Immigration#Migrant_wave_sizes

We'll stop getting migrants at all if we loose too many. May be worth cleaning the unit list of dead animals and such to allow for potential to bring new guys in. There's a DFHack script to clean up the list (this is what killed Deathgate). Trust me, its not a lot of fun when you have no hope of re-enforcement. Reclaim the surface, and Clobbermountains can live.

EDIT 3: down to just the mayor who managed to slip outside, and none of the spawn have notice. May need to DFHack some near by lava if she doesn't bleed out soon.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:45:54 am by NCommander »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: June 02, 2016, 02:20:11 am »

EDIT 2: The fort is very close to the migration cap: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Immigration#Migrant_wave_sizes

We'll stop getting migrants at all if we loose too many. May be worth cleaning the unit list of dead animals and such to allow for potential to bring new guys in. There's a DFHack script to clean up the list (this is what killed Deathgate). Trust me, its not a lot of fun when you have no hope of re-enforcement. Reclaim the surface, and Clobbermountains can live.

Part of me wants the fort to wither away naturally at this point, as it's had a good run and I'm starting to think it might be time to go on to something new. However, for the time being, yes, you may clean the units list once your turn rolls around.

Out of curiosity, just how many units are there in the save?

E: Good night everypony
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:08:40 am by Mr Frog »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1672 on: June 02, 2016, 04:03:12 am »

Part of me wants the fort to wither away naturally at this point, as it's had a good run and I'm starting to think it might be time to go on to something new. However, for the time being, yes, you may clean the units list once your turn rolls around.

Out of curiosity, just how many units are there in the save?

E: Good night everypony

There were 2716 on the save, so at most we'd get 1 or 2 migrants per season. I can understand putting a fort to bed, but make it end awesomely, not wither and die.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1673 on: June 02, 2016, 07:55:32 am »

OOC: Well, after a considerable amount of pain, I got an adventurer rolled up and outfitted. So, let's tell Id's story. As a reminder, this takes place in the distant future, probably 20-30 years after the potential end of Clobbermountains. When Id visits a site, she sometimes has dreams or visions of what happened there, pulled from L mode. I'm going to wander the world until just before my turn, and then send Id into Clobbermountains, hopefully badass enough to fight her way into the fort. Let us begin ...

Journal of Id Matulcog: Entry 1
===

Looking back, Deathgate wasn't exactly vacation capital of the world. I mean, who would want to see a bifurcated deer, a duck who fights demons, the catacombs of an almost extinct species or take a very literal scenic tour through hell. It did however have one thing going for it:

IT WASN'T FUCKING COLD OUT!

Frell, ever since I started this journey, I've been two steps short of an Idicle. I nearly froze my Urists off leaving Deathgate too all those years ago.

Alright Id, deep breath. You're a big girl. It's not like you haven't died before, or am in the middle of nowhere or ...

Oh, who the fuck am I kidding. It's the same fracking story, again and again. I don't even know why I bother to write it down. I suppose some tiny iota of empathy that hasn't been stamped out hopes that someone will find one of my journals and learn NOT TO FUCK WITH HELL.

Trust me, nothing good comes of it. I'm "living" proof of that. See, let me explain. A long time ago, in a place very far away, there was a fortress called Deathgate. If you never heard of it, well, it was the kind of place you tell little children about to scare them into doing their homework or that sort of shit. The thing is, its no myth or legend. I was there. I dunno how it got started, but a madness infected our overseers, so we dug straight down, and broke straight in.

Now, normally, this is where you'd expect a mob of demons to utterly and totally wreck us. Expect that didn't happen.  We won, and we got our just rewards for it.

Even when I was a little girl, the Basement of Murder (our group) was never very numerous, and through a slow battle of attrition, our numbers wore away until only a few handful of dwarfs were left in that world. Eventually, we realized we were doomed and that's when the madness truly took hold.

Under our founder, the dwarves of Deathgate decided that if they were going to be damned, well, we're going to take everyone with us. I wish I could say I had the courage to say I stepped up, but I can't. I was too afraid and too weak to do what had to be done. Instead, I left that awful place and fled into the world.

It's hard to remember now, but I think I tried to convince a group of humans to flee with me, after battling their leader (one hell of a nasty llama demon). I don't remember if I succeeded or not, but I suppose it doesn't matter. What does matter is I left, but ...

Well, as the old saying goes, you can leave Deathgate, but Deathgate never leaves you.

I don't know what happened to those who I left behind, but I know what happened to me. See, if our myths are to be believed, when you die, if you've been a good dwarf, your soul is supposed to go up to the Hall of the Stonemaker. If not, well, you go to Hell. That's fairly simple. The thing is, I already been to hell, and I guess that leaves me in this odd limbo.

After I left Deathgate, I fled as far as I could get. I cross oceans and valleys, and saw things you won't believe. I also got into fights. I didn't always win. The thing is though, I don't stay dead. No matter what happens to me, I've always gotten up again. Not always in the same place, but there have always been constants.

I remember everything from Deathgate with near perfect clarity. I can always remember my old training as a marine, remember how to swim, how to shoot, and how to fight. I sometimes remember other things.

I usually (but not always) tend to usually wake up with a bow and some armor. However,  I always wake up with the adamantine spear I left with all years ago. Perhaps the damn thing is as cursed as I am.

At least this time I am decently equipped. I'm never going to live down the time I woke up with only a thong and spear.

I suppose I should get to the point of this already. See, over time, I began to have ... well, I suppose you can call them urges. Places and things would appear in my mind that I need to go find. I don't know why. All I've ever found are monsters and death, with just one thing in common.

They've all been places where Hell has been breached or at the very least adamantine has been mined. And everytime I go there, I see the fort as it was before it fell. I still can remember one place, Swordthunders, where the dwarfs wanted to play games with Hell. Hell played back. They lost.

It's all kind of pointless really; I get to watch people who died years, sometimes centuries before I got there and there's nothing I can do about. My own personal Hell ...

I fucking crack myself up.

But the damn thing about it is that maybe someday I'll get there before shit hits the fan. Warn them they're about to commit a colossal fuckup. Or some overseer finds a copy of my journal, and wises up.

Wishful thinking, I know, but ... well ... if you can't die, you got to live for something.

Might as well get this show on the road.

I think I have a long way to go ...

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: June 02, 2016, 03:51:11 pm »

...It has been three days, and I still have no clue about her location. My squire hasn't yet been successful in tracing the old hag: partially due to her limited experience, but mostly because she's been completely wasted on local alcohol and treats since our arrival... Gah, ignorant flea hotel!

Anyway, to prevent any organised oppossition to my... Rule here, I have ordered to disband local military forces under the pretext of general lack of skilled labor. Those few tasks I have given those ingrates have been left unattended so far. Many tasks issued by the previous overseer had to be canselled, for that furniture hauling hampered the duties of importance.

Their... Lack of eagerness has brought His Gaudiness to think of the general state of affairs in this very city... Which means he might be trying to reestabilish his direct administration soon. Still, that sorrow of his has been preventing him from assessing the situation. I am not sure on what would be the best option for me. I'd rather see to it that the well being of Urist's kin remains unaltered.

Street violence is on the rise. Peons attack each other in blind rage. That cannot be left on it's own, the riots might break out sooner then I am finding my target...

Minor change in plans. I am finding a sounder dwarf, giving him limited power over the mob and a large club to wield. We need some sheperds to herd the unruly flock.

I am not aquainted with the freshly created officer yet, thought I have heard he had mauled a grizzly bear before. Sounds like a perfect candidate.

Let's start to beat the pleb back into submission. King Erib has been doing it for many years, but now this weakling is unable to control his fear stricken subjects.

Finding thugs for the dirty job wasn't hard. After all, Torrid Lash has been full of scum for ages. Captain Thikut and his subordinates are now patrolling the fortress for me.

More dwarves go mad. I have to have my hunt for Archivist finished before most of them are crazy and my cover's completely blown. Don't really want to fight my way out.

New slabs are being made, and, as they come out, they reveal the most decadent tastes of local dwarves. Disgusting.

Well done. Now ghosts are harassing the citizens a bit less.

Something peculiar happened today. One of the mortals, being upset by something, desided to murder the king.

In a berserk rage, he assaulted Erib in one of the narrow corridors. His Gaudiness managed to escape unharmed before the grunts were able to pin down the young attacker and beat him.

The guards mauled the mad dwarf in a more brutal way, finishing him right where he stood.

Also, for some reason, they had the hammerer execute one of the commoners, a former mayor or something. Maybe that was nothing more than a revenge, but, generally speaking, they all deserve it.

As His Gaudiness has once said, you can't really have an organised settlement without a few good hammerings.

I gotta say, that hammerer lady of theirs is a beast. She was really happy to fulfill her duties.

What? One more? It doesn't even mean much at that point. Just one more paragraph in a paperwork.

Works have been going somewhat smoothly, but the labourers keep bringing various items from the reclaimed parts of the so called "old fortress". I issued an order for them to stop hauling shit at once.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:32:37 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: June 02, 2016, 05:10:40 pm »

His Gaudiness's ability to weather deadly situations completely-unharmed continues to astound me. You could probably throw him in a sewer pipe and he'd come out smelling like lilacs.

Also, I can't wait for when your dwarf realises that the Archivist is no longer present at the fortress.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: June 02, 2016, 05:53:03 pm »

His Gaudiness's ability to weather deadly situations completely-unharmed continues to astound me. You could probably throw him in a sewer pipe and he'd come out smelling like lilacs.

Also, I can't wait for when your dwarf realises that the Archivist is no longer present at the fortress.

Is the Archivist still relevant anymore? All mention of her seemed to end around the same time we decided it would be a good idea to release hell.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: June 02, 2016, 05:59:21 pm »

Is the Archivist still relevant anymore? All mention of her seemed to end around the same time we decided it would be a good idea to release hell.

I kinda phased her out along with all the non-fortress side stories since their reception seemed lukewarm at best, plus it was getting annoying to constantly pretend to have her at the fort despite her having literally no in-game representation. In-story, she quietly slipped out of the fortress sometime before the Taupening happened -- basically "this bullshit isn't funny anymore, fuck this, fuck you, fuck the demons, fuck His Gaudiness, you twits are on your own now". Erib, being a self-absorbed moron, didn't realise she was gone until months later.

She's somewhere. Just not here.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: June 03, 2016, 01:52:34 am »

It's not a dwarf. It's a very certain armor-clad elf. I dunno if all the tips (like mentioning queen Urist, talking about mortals and feeding on someone) were too subtle or it's just my lousy stories being forgotten after so long.

Kind of sorry to hear abour the archivist, I kinda liked her and was really hoping for her being a part of an epic ending at least.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: June 03, 2016, 02:01:30 am »

It's not a dwarf. It's a very certain armor-clad elf. I dunno if all the tips (like mentioning queen Urist, talking about mortals and feeding on someone) were too subtle or it's just my lousy stories being forgotten after so long.

Kind of sorry to hear abour the archivist, I kinda liked her and was really hoping for her being a part of an epic ending at least.

Yeah, I had lots of plans BUT I figured it'd be better to ease up on the massive subplots and let everyone help build this fort into an epic rather than just me and a couple others controlling everything. Bit sad, but she'll hopefully have her day in the limelight again at some point. I just think stuff like her might be better suited to a community fort, since the storytelling in those tends to be a bit more centralised.

Also, the cues are def enough, I'm just really dense and have a bad habit of reading too fast and missing things. lol  The updates are good.

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 140