Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 376519 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Things Are As Bad As They Seem
« Reply #1695 on: June 03, 2016, 10:26:44 pm »

Our colonisation of Hell is long overdue. Can't be that much worse than our current lodgings, anyways.
Heh.  Heheheh.  Sig'd.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: June 04, 2016, 04:01:09 am »

The maker of that bed is now said to be a legend among the craftsdwarves. I doubt though that anybody but the locals know of his masterpiece.

Will that do?

Edit: here's my rendition of said bed:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, an addition for Mr Frog:

Seems like the Royal Archivist'd sprawl across an exquisite sofa smack-dab across all three shades of Evil '^^ Although you're probably right about how the people perceive her as a Lawful NonEvil character.

Spoiler: IT HAPPENS (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:00:08 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: June 04, 2016, 09:07:55 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, an addition for Mr Frog:

Seems like the Royal Archivist'd sprawl across an exquisite sofa smack-dab across all three shades of Evil '^^ Although you're probably right about how the people perceive her as a Lawful NonEvil character.

Spoiler: IT HAPPENS (click to show/hide)

MAJESTIC
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: June 05, 2016, 09:36:46 pm »

Oh god, i read some random logs because my time is thin, and this is a masterful and glorious deathtrap fort.

hmmm banshees can become mutants...
can they become holistic spawns? (and you will face an army of holistic-banshee-mutant?)

By the way i just came here to PTW and because i read somewhere in the thread yesterday something like this  "you can't count the mist as a defense"

And ok, i concur. But could you i dunno, if when you get everybody on their feet make 4 entrances closed by bridges linked by levers (hidden far away please, no more dwarves kicking them) in the corners of the map, if a mist enters the map far from a siege, you could open that spot and call the siege that way, i don't know if the AI will path inside the mist, but maybe dangerously close to it.

And then just watch the siege fight itself when you close the bridge (and, or open another far from them  so they get another chance of getting a mutation...)

Well, i dont know how much benefit it could bring, maybe it works...maybe it will be just a matter of time to another dwarf go berserk. It's just a suggestion, don't hear this mad duck-man.

(oh, and by the way, there is a log or a thread where i can see how the greater spawn looks like?)
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: June 05, 2016, 10:00:48 pm »

Unfortunately, only dwarves can become Spawn, since in-story Spawn are basically just mutant dwarves anyways (long story short: a dwarf became a demon, said demon got locked in hell and pumped out many nasty babies). Read the Headshoots trilogy dude, you won't regret it.

I'm not sure if your plan would work if I'm understanding it correctly, since mist clouds tend to move quite rapidly towards the inner portion of the map upon spawning at the map edge, so corraling invaders towards it is less-than-practical. It's more of a "nice when it happens" kind of thing, although now that you mention it we could at the very least build an extremely circuitous open-air labyrinth in order to maximise the time invaders spend outside (and thus their chances of getting hit by a cloud).
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: June 06, 2016, 09:19:01 am »

You got that right

If there is a chance of making the invaders killing themselves without dwarven causalities, it should be done, luck (or the lack of) shouldn't only help invaders hehe  :P

Maybe you could in this labyrinth get some bridges so you could  open a secure way for traders, and/or lock the invaders in certain points of the maze that you would like.

Tantrum is still a danger with bridges, buuuut, less deaths less tantruns

Bonus point for a minotaur

I don't know why and how, but would be a blasphemy of don't talking about minotaurs in a trap like this  :P

I will read headshoots, it's already on my plans, just got to go now try to get a job and go back in the night  :'(
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: June 06, 2016, 12:02:21 pm »

It occured to His Gaudiness that some parts of most disgusting metal spire could still use some prospection, so an order was issued to unseal it and converse the nearby rooms into a new industrial centre. Abovementioned metal has been held by vampires in abhorrence since times immemorial, but I can not leave the mad dwarf's project unsupervised. At very least, I am having the masons build magma-safe floors and a new lever-controlled cork there.

"There you are. Blackwood, you slacker... I should have eradicated your kin when I had a chanse! Well, I might turn a blind eye on your underhanded actions here if you do something for me..."

"First, I need a new shield. Have it studded with gold, yeah... And with some freshly excavated adamantine strands. If it pleases me greatly, I might think of not banishing you to jail... Move it!"

What a joke. He might still seem normal by dwarven standarts, but his sanity has degraded since the last time I have talked to him.

Some crazed savages tried to assault our above-ground positions. Even now they hardly pose a threat, after all the events that has weakened our militia considerably.

Unfortunately for them, their company is quickly swept by the cloud of red mist. The resulting monsters flee the area promptly.

Infuriated by the lack of delicasies in his table, His Gaudiness requested one of the soldiers to be his private chef. What a time for exessive demands.

One of the... Inmates was found by the citizens. Captain of the guard's starting an inquiry.

Migrants! Due to the project we're in dire need of workhands, so I send Sheka to help them in.

The new faces are gathered near the southern airlock. The greater spawn must be aware of their presence since all the screeching and such, but no abomination has appeared so far above ground. How delightful!

A stonecrafter's been acting somewhat off. Recently he clamed one of the newly-constructed craftsdwarf shops next to the spire and proseeded to haul shit inside.

Local ghosts apparently take joy in playing tag with their still alive compatriots. Also, a new Forgotten Beast came in in order to to roam the caves.

What? A caravan? How did they manage to slip through banshee patrols? Either they're hardened veterans, or there's something more to them then this merchant attire. They're positioned pretty close to the western airlock, so we might as well let them in.

A sudden rockfall has caused a commotion at the construction site. A miner was wounded slightly... I assumed the dwarves were good enough at digging. It probably happened due to his low intake of alcohol or something.

Attention! Enemies up ahead. I am sending Sheka to scout on their movements. It seems that the traders are in real trouble. At first, it seemed like a regular ambush, but no... They have around three companies, supported by ogre shock troops. They're surrounding us. I'm ordering to have all the bridges sealed.

Alright, my furry companion brought in some more information on their numbers. Dye Recluseghosts is leading the assault. They are going from the North. Supporting troops arrive from the west.

"Are we boned yet?" she asks me. What are you afraid of, girl? These dwarves probably are, but we migth try to escape as soon the banshees are busy slashing the locals apart.

The traders make their last stand in the westrn hills. They smash through the banshee vanguard, slaying some attackers in the process. What a sight to see. Their warriors hack and stab their way through enemies, showing their unfailing spirit in this last battle.

One of the traders, shaken by the sights of blood and severd bodyparts, goes completely berserk and lunges forward.

Had the local dwarves been more disciplined, we would not have had to face this. One of the banshee parties managed to get in through the northern airlock before the bridges got raised. Among them, some snipers and their commander, feared Dye Recluseghosts.

I had all the soldiers and the reservists mobilised. While I have been gathering militia dwarves for the counterattack, they continued on their assault.

The first soldier to arrive was Mosus, who efficiently used the narrow conditions of the corridor to hold of the main force of banshees. Unfortunately, he got shot with a bolt and they basically overran him.

Cerol Inchvessel employed the same tactic, ambushing and killing some banshees and their commander at one of the crossroad. While being wounded by a crossbow-wielder, he managed to step back, controlling the passageway until the main forces arrived.

Right when we reached the place, a squad of ogres came in, smashing fences and hammering on the shields. Seargeant imic was shot in the back by one of the snipers, and must have suffocated shortly after. Our platoon, led by Colonel Taupe and Corporal DolosusDoleos, launched a counterattack, killing quite some enemies in the process.

As the battle raged on, I discovered the fact that no one of those laid-back moron back in the fortess was going to pull the levers for us! After finishing with the traders, new banshees were pouring inside the fortress! I sent Sheka to do the job... Captain of the guard should really look into this fact.

Instead, I am being asked about their precious kittens and such... Gah, don't you dare to provoke me!

The battle has taken a toll on the traders, our people and the enemy... We have got four casualties, two civilians and two soldiers. But it might not be the end yet... Apparently, even though most of the surviving banshees managed to flee, some of them, alongside with ogres, got caught inside the western airlock. We should hold a meeting concerning those.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:22:19 pm by Monitor Lisard »

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: June 06, 2016, 02:06:51 pm »

OH FUCK THIS IS IT

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1703 on: June 06, 2016, 02:12:33 pm »

Stand back and embrace the position. Do we have a self-destruct lever?
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: June 06, 2016, 02:17:32 pm »

We did, sort of. The last 10 turns were the result.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1705 on: June 06, 2016, 02:18:20 pm »

We did, sort of. The last 12ish turns were the result.

I mean one that works. Generally speaking, a self-destruct is supposed to fail deadly.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: June 06, 2016, 02:21:38 pm »

Actually, if I'm understanding Mon's update correctly, we managed to get the banshees to retreat; we just accidentally trapped some of them in one of the airlocks, to do with as we please. So, no apocalypse quite yet.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: June 06, 2016, 02:52:12 pm »

Actually, if I'm understanding Mon's update correctly, we managed to get the banshees to retreat; we just accidentally trapped some of them in one of the airlocks, to do with as we please. So, no apocalypse quite yet.

You're quite right. It turned out that despite all the troubles, purges, accidents, tantrum spirals and such, even with a population of fifty some dwarves with many of them being children, and without champions to talk of, we still have a formidable militia to rely on.

It seems His Gaudiness has turned on full-Stalin mode.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:55:38 pm by Monitor Lisard »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: June 06, 2016, 03:01:34 pm »

You're quite right. It turned out that despite all the troubles, purges, accidents, tantrum spirals and such, even with a population of fifty some dwarves with many of them being children, and without champions to talk of, we still have a formidable militia to rely on.

It seems His Gaudiness has turned on full-Stalin mode.

I actually laughed, because what he did in your turn dovetails nicely with the contents of some !!JOURNALS!! I have in the works right now.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: June 06, 2016, 03:26:03 pm »

I actually laughed, because what he did in your turn dovetails nicely with the contents of some !!JOURNALS!! I have in the works right now.

dovetails nicely with the contents of some !!JOURNALS!! I have in the works right now

some !!JOURNALS!! I have in the works right now

GET HYPE

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 140