Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 372644 times)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Things Are As Bad As They Seem
« Reply #1890 on: July 10, 2016, 06:14:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a FB show up in hell earlier in this fort.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: July 10, 2016, 06:16:06 pm »

FBs can show up in hell. At least one showed up in Spearbreakers (and suffered from a case of Stabbed-by-Dauros-itis,) via hell.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1892 on: July 10, 2016, 06:20:11 pm »

FBs can show up in hell. At least one showed up in Spearbreakers (and suffered from a case of Stabbed-by-Dauros-itis,) via hell.

Frankly, I'm less scared of a FB than I am of the spawn.

Progress is going well. I nearly finished burning through the entire backlog of raw candy we had and I've resuming mining out the spire from the bottom up, and we have dwarfs building in hell (haven't got beards on the ground yet).

I've also got a bunch of traps made and have a trapper hunting for the necessary ingredients to make dwarven cheese.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1893 on: July 10, 2016, 07:01:50 pm »

Clobbermountains - Overseer's Log
NCommander - Militia Commander Reporting
---

As per tradition, with each passing year, a new overseer comes to run this madhouse. This year, it's me. Go figure. As His Gaudiness sits on his throne and sleeps on a bed made of holistic bone (WTF mate?!), it falls to me to keep us going for another year. Clobbermountains has long been plagued by banshees, spawn, goblins (who are camping ontop), and far worse things. As bad as the situation may be though, it could be by far much worse.

I've been reviewing the tactical situation of Clobbermountains, and have decided that going up is nothing short of suicide. There's only one option left.

We need to go deeper

Below us sits the absolute king of metals, adamantine. If we ever wish to reclaim the surface and the lands beyond, we must secure it. Though despite the kings wishes, I won't make maces out of the stuff. What the hell use is a mace that can't blungen things to death?!

These nobles man ...

I know I can't build an army of the gods in a single year, but I can lay the foundation for my successors. My objectives are as follows.

1. Mine and process as much adamanite as I can within a year
2. Build a new salvation for dwarven kind
3. Give our dwarfs the most powerful motivation known to our kind.

Let's take these one at a time.

On adamanite. The stuff is amazing as hell, but annoying to work with. We've got to  mine it out of the pillar, then remove the threads from the rock before we go any further. As such, I'm expanding our strand extraction facilities.

We already have quite a bit of raw adamanite to process so anyone not doing anything else is to be dedicated to full time strand extraction. By time I finish my turn here, I don't expect there to be a single bit of raw adamanite in the place. Most of it will get smelted into wafers, but some will be dedicated into cloth to become robes for the military. I haven't decided exactly how much of each I will break down just yet. The bookkeeper, if I can find his lazy ass can tell me.

Moving onwards though, our next problem is blow for blow, a dwarf simply can't match a spawn in combat. We need to be smarter, and we need to be farther. Thus we need marksdwarfs. I've ordered TheFlame52's guard to switch to crossbows. I've had a new archery range setup for them.

Unfortunately, I got a report that we are both lacking in ammo and backpacks. Ammo I can work around, we've got lots of copper (which I can also use to train up a weaponsmith; the broker has found a new purpose in life). Quivers are a bigger issue. No leather, and nothing I can get to make more. We have absolutely no breeding pairs of anything in this fortress.

Thus I'm going to trap the caverns and get us a breeding pair of *something*.

I've also noticed a lot of dwarfs using this corridor as a major throughfare between the reclaimed pairs of Clobbermountains and the current fort.

I've had it widening and traffic designations placed. Armok man, we shouldn't be hopping from coffin to coffin to get to the stairs. It's bad juju!

Getting back to the topic of quivers. Well, I did think of a solution, but I hate myself for it.

I'm going to go find a spawn bone and use it to scrub my brain out for such a waste of metal.

---

Let it be known, spawn bones make great brain scratches. Anyway, moving ontop the topic of salvation. Sitting below us is this big empty spot called Hell. A few overseers ago, Taupe released the Greater Spawn in an attempt to kill our enemies. It didn't exactly go to plan, but for the most part, Hell has been unoccupied since.

It's wide open, relatively safe, and has these nifty glowing pits that we can chuck peopple into. I've already ordered a passageway be built to the nearest landmass.

We'll have to build some sort of defensible structure down there. Some kind of hell bunker? Nah, that's a stupid name. Anyway, downwards we go, which brings me to the last point.

What is a substance that is so rare and yet so awesome that only a few have ever seen it? That the site of it can cause lesser dwarfs to explode it bits of gore? That it is impossibly rarer than adamanite?

I'll tell you.

CHEESE

But not just any cheese. No, to motivate everyone properly, we need the right type of cheese. The type not seen since the era of two dimensional fortresses, and something called 23a. We need DWARVEN CHEESE. Fortunately, I know how to make it!

When I announced that we were going to undertake this most noble undertaking, our chief medical dwarf ran out of the room suddenly struck by a mood!

First, we'll need a kennels

Second, we'll need some animal traps.

Third, we need some trappers, some maggots, a bucket, and some luck.

---

Today I woke feeling refreshed knowing what we're doing. I've installed hatchcovers over the hell spire, as I do worry something nasty might fly up. During this, I discovered one of our masons decided to waste some raw adamanite.

If I ever find out who, I'll have TheFlame52 throw him into hell, lock away the key, and then collapse the mountain ontop of him. However, since I don't know who, I might as well use it to secure the fort!

Anyway, our moody doctor has gone and claimed a craftsdwarf workshop, and started claiming stuff.

(I can't help but wonder if he intends to reassemble Lubla Ulienejshae ...)

In other news, our trappers have started assembling animal traps!

I can already taste that cheese ...

---

More good news!

We've nearly reached our future and we got a most marvelous artifact to comediante the event.

By the gods, it is glorious ...

---

OOC: I hope this meets the Clobbermountains standard of RPing. Also. I think the floor/mine slade glitch works in this version. I'm sorely tempted to try and mining some out
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:16:25 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1894 on: July 10, 2016, 09:04:15 pm »

So, Splint, I hate you right now. Not long after you said that. THREE Forgotten beasts showed up. All three are dead now but one got into the fortress before I killed it (it slipped through a hatchcover). One fatality, a few injuries, and His Gaudiness I think has seen hell (he went to recover wounded before I removed that labor from him, not sure if he made it below or not).

I'm building a platform off the stairwell with fortifications to get us an initial foothold.

The fortress guard is exploring hell right now. There are regions of +20Z mountains. I really need to know if there is a good visualizer for this version? I may have to backport ArmokVision, worldgen gave us a seriously wacky hell.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: July 10, 2016, 09:07:40 pm »

First that springs to mind is Stonesense. Unsure of others.

EDIT: GLad I seem to have the power to bring misfortune by simple thought alone.  :D

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1896 on: July 10, 2016, 09:08:33 pm »

First that springs to mind is Stonesense. Unsure of others.

I'll try it, though it never works well in hell. I have 90% of it explored, right until TheFlame52 ran into a Greater Spawn that was unrevealed in the edge and died heroically.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: July 10, 2016, 09:10:56 pm »

By the way, the formatting you want for sub- and superscript are just sub and sup respectively.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1898 on: July 10, 2016, 09:17:16 pm »

By the way, the formatting you want for sub- and superscript are just sub and sup respectively.

Fixed, thanks. I'm still annoyed I lost dwarfs in hell. At least now with Hell mostly explored, the bunker will get warning before anything nasty comes along.

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: July 10, 2016, 09:39:50 pm »

NCommander be careful in hell, on my first turn, I remember looking through the list of hostiles and seeing some Greater Spawn without names when I took a look at where they were... Well they were in hell, so you probably won't be getting very many because of the GS on the surface, but you most likely will get some.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1900 on: July 10, 2016, 09:46:14 pm »

NCommander be careful in hell, on my first turn, I remember looking through the list of hostiles and seeing some Greater Spawn without names when I took a look at where they were... Well they were in hell, so you probably won't be getting very many because of the GS on the surface, but you most likely will get some.

I did :(. I'm making a mini-bunker vs. my original plans though I might give up trying to build down there. I'm working on reclaiming parts of Old Clobbermountains. It takes a lot of bolts to kill a spawn though at least our military is leveling up quickly. I'll post an update when this spawn finally dies.

EDIT: We had an armorsmith go moody. I'm going to post the update then unpause.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:02:03 pm by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1901 on: July 10, 2016, 10:43:32 pm »

Clobbermountains - Overseer's Log
NCommander - Militia Commander Reporting
---

While we deal with a migrant drought due to the siege on the ceiling, it is good to know that our married couples are hard at work on increasing our population. Down below, we've hit a snag.

Seems forgotten beasts are wandering hell. Fortunately, this one can't fly, and the hunter who was on the stonework decided to say "Fuck This" and engaged at range.

Damn, that's a hardcore dwarf. Keep being dwarfy my hunting friend!

With the welcoming committee dealt with, a bridge is build to allow us to explore the hills of Hell.

While our supplies of raw adamanite continue to grow level by level

Unfortunately, it turns out there are more forgotten beasts in hell. Why are there forgotten beasts in hell. Forgotten beasts belong in caverns, not in hell, oh look he's painting the walls of Hell.

Of course, I meant for him to paint the walls of hell with the Forgotten Beasts blood and not his own. sigh.

Fortunately, I had the foresight to install a hatch cover.

Course, if our Hell expansion efforts are to continue, we're going to need more than that. So, let's get clever. Let's build some fortifications and ...

Fuck. One of the two FBs slipped by before I could pound the forbidden button. Fortunately, instead of going up, he looped around and is now engaging with the Guard. I'll have new coffins prepared immediately.

Oh wait a minute. What do you know, they're actually putting up a reasonable fight.

Our resident lunatic cultist comes racing down in the chaos, and our broker races into hell in fear. (wrong way dude!)

Amazingly, the military put down both beasts, and the dwarfs trapped in hell are recovered successfully! No fatalities!

^- image of dwarf recovery operations.

Given that Hell seems quiet for the moment, I send TheFlame52 and a trusty squire to go explore.

Their immediate reports is that its mostly empty. Well, right up until we saw a Greater Spawn fly down to the area they were exploring ...

Ah well. You were a good dwarf, Mr. TheFlame52, We'll have slabs made for you.

---

TheFlame52's recent death and our success with those forgotten nasties has inspired me to try a new tactic in reclaiming upper Clobbermountains.

I have miners dig out a corridor to some of the spawn camping upstairs, and fortifications dug in so our new recruits can practice with their weapons on a live target.

Meanwhile, some of one of our survivors grew up. I immediately pointed him towards the magma forges and told him to go make some armor. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll mood.

---

Well, we've engaged the spawn through the hole in the wall.

We've offloaded close to 100 bolts in him.

He won't die. At least we'll get elite marksdwarfs if this keeps up.

---

Our future weaponsmith grows up!

---

In other news, I'm not pleased to report that our attempt to trap maggots has gone well. Despite having laid animal traps, and having had a ranger run around with a trap, we've yet to successfully catch any vermin of any type. Without that dwarven cheese, I worry our forces lack inspiration to fight those monstrosities we call the spawn ...

Meanwhile, I saw Olin get that glint in his eye that can only mean one thing ...

Jackpot!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1902 on: July 10, 2016, 11:09:17 pm »

.................. Mr. Frog ................. I'm really not happy now ...

Having Greater Spawn screeches being able to transform dwarfs is down right evil.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I suspect I'm about to loose the fortress now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:11:38 pm by NCommander »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: July 10, 2016, 11:15:07 pm »

GYAHAHAHA

It's funny because the exact strategy you suggested was floated a few times and I actually did mention this then. But I was so distracted with my Braveworks turn that I never got around to warning you. Which I suppose is a fitting way for this place to die.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1904 on: July 10, 2016, 11:24:01 pm »

GYAHAHAHA

It's funny because the exact strategy you suggested was floated a few times and I actually did mention this then. But I was so distracted with my Braveworks turn that I never got around to warning you. Which I suppose is a fitting way for this place to die.

Well fuck. I'm not going down without a fight. As it turns out, I think you partially goofed up; because its a werebeast curse, even if the entire fort become spawn who won't change back, it will not crumble to its end (he's listed as berserk, not an enemy). Let the good times roll.

The fool ripped the weaponsmith in training apart. He's working on dismembering His Guadiness ...

EDIT:

RIP.

EDIT 2: Clobbermountains STANDS. I lost 8 beards including the king.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:46:21 pm by NCommander »
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 140