Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 372746 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Things Are As Bad As They Seem
« Reply #1920 on: July 11, 2016, 11:14:12 pm »

(( Probably seems a bit cheesy that I'm setting up a 'LOL HE ISN'T DEAD' right after it was revealed that His Gaudiness had been killed, but I actually had this written up since before The Master even started his turn IIRC ))

E: Also, NCommander is cleared to continue posting writeups. His Gaudiness's tale has come to a close.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:16:21 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1921 on: July 11, 2016, 11:59:21 pm »

Clobbermountains - Overseer's Log
NCommander - Militia Commander Reporting
---

Er, there are times in one's life where "Oops" doesn't quite cover it.

None the less. Oops.

I should explain. While I thought I was being oh so clever in liberating old Clobbermountains, it turns out we were being played for bloody chumps!. Turns out Greater Spawn don't just screech for the hell of it. Hell ... hehe, I crack myself up. No, it turns out if you listen long enough, they get in your head and well ...

Oops. I suppose his title is fitting though. Most of what I'm about to recount comes second hand as I was taking a nap in my glorious new office while this played out.

As best I can figure, The Fool listened to the Greater Spawn for just a tad too long and turned. Now a spawn himself, he went stalking for prey. The first thing he managed to catch was our weaponsmith to be.

The witnesses screamed for help, and the military came charging up.

His royal highness however decided he would be a hero. Or maybe he just chose a bad place to be relaxing

Amazingly, he put up a decent fight, crippling The Fool!

Unfortunately, our king's luck finally ran out. And he was just two years away from permanent retirement too ...

Anyway, as best I can tell, The Fool decided he was hungry and ate a dog.

And its animal caretaker ...

He then decided to work on the Fortress Guard as an entree, likely in an attempt to get the olm taste out of his leg.

He had just finished off a dish of Mate_the_888th when

Our own lunatic cultist beamed his head in with a mace (which was no doubt produced due to the late king's mandates. Fitting!)

DoleusDolosus then declared she was a cook. I really hope she's not planned to serve freshly fried spawn ...

Needless to say, I think most of the fortress is in shock ...
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1922 on: July 12, 2016, 12:17:07 am »

---

Turns out fried spawn is actually quite tasty. Mmmmm. DoleusDolosus made a fine minced spawn with her mace, then went to the hospital to rest. Something about a ghost.

As I work on this spawn burger, I've ordered that we abandon hell. That lesson has been learned given our recent case of spawn-induced regicide.

What's left down there will remain as a tribute to hubris. I've decided that the best way to recover from this wholesale disaster is to get REVENGE. Now, the question is, HOW are we going to get revenge without becoming spawn ourselves. Well, through painstaking SCIENCE, I've learned that a greater spawns screach can only be heard up to 30 tiles away. Marksdwarfs can shoot up to 25. So, you may be wondering how we get past this fundamental problem.

SIEGE MACHINES!

I intend to introduce the Spawn to the finest cutting edge technology dwarven kind can muster.

---

Work on siege operations are going slowly. Morale is in the toilet.

Especially after what happened to our migrants. Some brave fools decided to risk this place, knowing it may be there tomb.

I ordered the west airlock opened, which Mr. Furg did quickly enough. I locked him in the control room so he could let them through. The migrants crossed the summit of Mt. Clobber ...

And ran into some vermin. Twice.

Dude didn't stand a chance.

It won't have been a total loss if SOMEONE hadn't chosen the worst possible time to go on break.

Mr. Furg, let it be known those nine deaths are on YOUR HANDS
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1923 on: July 12, 2016, 12:29:25 am »

---

By the gods ....

It's glorious. Remember awhile ago Mr. Log that we had an armorsmith in training go secretive? Well, after nearly six months, he finally started constructing.

And made this.

I think it would make lesser minds explode from the sheer bling factor. Though I would have chosen a better name than "Drinkcounsels the Maign Banks". Needless to say, our new legendary armorsmith was pointed towards the pile of wafers, and told to get cracking.

Which lead to several masterwork sets of armor coming into existence. NOTE TO FUTURE OVERSEERS: We'll need more candy mined and processed.

Among the celebration of the new artifact, several things happened at once.

Humans arrived. We now need a trade depot.

Kobolds arrived. We no longer need a trade depot.

We have a new weaponsmith potential.

Banshee fodder hatched and finally

Our first balista was installed. We're still working on getting an operator trained, and ammo produced, but I'm going to fire it at spawn one way or another.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: July 12, 2016, 12:36:27 am »

Time to wipe the blood off of this thing's gearbox because the fortress is going into high gear, holy shit
Major props to getting through that... infiltration

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: July 12, 2016, 01:51:59 am »

I want ol' Erib to return as a ghost.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1926 on: July 12, 2016, 01:58:56 am »

He has a tomb, but I could deconstruct it. Funny enough, if he does rise as a ghost, his ghost can die of old age ...

EDIT: I did :)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1927 on: July 12, 2016, 04:07:32 am »

Here's a preview for the next update:

And in case that doesn't work, I've got a superweapon for the next overseer

EDIT: The forgotten beast was deployed. My turn is done, writeup tomorrow.

EDIT 2: Here's the save. NEXT! (sign me up for round two): http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12255
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:22:04 am by NCommander »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: July 12, 2016, 10:48:35 am »

He has a tomb, but I could deconstruct it. Funny enough, if he does rise as a ghost, his ghost can die of old age ...

Okay, this annoyed me. More because I was counting on him being in a tomb than anything else, but. What's the point if he's just gonna "die" again in two years?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1929 on: July 12, 2016, 11:08:54 am »

Okay, this annoyed me. More because I was counting on him being in a tomb than anything else, but. What's the point if he's just gonna "die" again in two years?

"lol factor" was the official reason. - Apologizes; if it helps at all, I did deconstruct it fairly late into my turn, sometime in Autumn :(, I try not to overthink things when I play bloodline games. If I begin to overthink it, I stop having fun and turns bog down.  I can strike it from the official update when I write it (after I sleep).

I actually think he got reburied somewhere else in the fort but I got distracted and haven't found his remains; I made a fairly decent effort to slab and bury as many bodies as possible; I don't think there was a single moment where "place item in tomb" wasn't active on some dwarf. I had to unforbid all the bones in the fort to prevent a mood from failing as well.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:10:35 am by NCommander »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: July 12, 2016, 11:32:18 am »

"lol factor" was the official reason. - Apologizes; if it helps at all, I did deconstruct it fairly late into my turn, sometime in Autumn :(, I try not to overthink things when I play bloodline games. If I begin to overthink it, I stop having fun and turns bog down.  I can strike it from the official update when I write it (after I sleep).

SO YOU DO SLEEP

Meh, fair enough. Sorry I got grumpy. That was a bit ridiculous of me.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1931 on: July 12, 2016, 11:34:38 am »

SO YOU DO SLEEP

No biggy.

I have a sleep disorder, but I do tend to sleep now and then. When I can't sleep, I play Dwarf Fortress. As it stands, I could probably write the update right now and have it make sense, but to be frank, I turned this fort so fast, no one has had a chance to RP short of me taking a stop for them (in which I tend played Scorchedgravel ... yeash, I need a life).

I might have had the fastest turn on this fort yet >.>;

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: July 12, 2016, 11:41:56 am »

SO YOU DO SLEEP

No biggy.

I have a sleep disorder, but I do tend to sleep now and then. When I can't sleep, I play Dwarf Fortress. As it stands, I could probably write the update right now and have it make sense, but to be frank, I turned this fort so fast, no one has had a chance to RP short of me taking a stop for them (in which I tend played Scorchedgravel ... yeash, I need a life).

I might have had the fastest turn on this fort yet >.>;

This fort hasn't been very RP-heavy, disappointingly enough -- I get the nasty feeling that it's because people are worried I'll snap at them over something arbitrary (I've already done that a couple times, lol). I just appreciate the fast turnout -- keeps things moving quickly.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1933 on: July 12, 2016, 11:51:16 am »

This fort hasn't been very RP-heavy, disappointingly enough -- I get the nasty feeling that it's because people are worried I'll snap at them over something arbitrary (I've already done that a couple times, lol). I just appreciate the fast turnout -- keeps things moving quickly.

I could dedicate an turn to making holistic spawn mugs, or attempt a lighting raid of hell to made slade mugs. That might get the RP juices going :). I know I tend to come in rather hard and fast with fortresses and sometimes break things, like a prime minister or two ...

Which reminds me, on a modding note: banshees scream when they're in hiding without revealing themselves and they can hit forgotten beasts. It gives away they're on the map. I don't know if you can fix it but I figure I'd point it out. It might just be worth changing them to siegers with very low triggers for a sequel since they can't effectively ambush :/

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: July 12, 2016, 11:54:52 am »

I could dedicate an turn to making holistic spawn mugs, or attempt a lighting raid of hell to made slade mugs. That might get the RP juices going :). I know I tend to come in rather hard and fast with fortresses and sometimes break things, like a prime minister or two ...

Which reminds me, on a modding note: banshees scream when they're in hiding without revealing themselves and they can hit forgotten beasts. It gives away they're on the map. I don't know if you can fix it but I figure I'd point it out. It might just be worth changing them to siegers with very low triggers for a sequel since they can't effectively ambush :/

Banshees, sadly, will not be in the sequel, as 42xx made LOS a hard requirement for interaction targeting and it'd be safe to assume that 43.05 is the same. Breaks my heart, since they were one of my favorite things about this fort, but there's nothing for it.

I don't think there's any way to restrict thieves from using the scream. Interaction AI is extremely rudimentary.

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 140