Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 372728 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Things Are As Bad As They Seem
« Reply #1935 on: July 12, 2016, 11:58:55 am »

Banshees, sadly, will not be in the sequel, as 42xx made LOS a hard requirement for interaction targeting and it'd be safe to assume that 43.05 is the same. Breaks my heart, since they were one of my favorite things about this fort, but there's nothing for it.

I don't think there's any way to restrict thieves from using the scream. Interaction AI is extremely rudimentary.

If you're not against mandating the use of a custom build of DFHack (ala Masterwork), I think I can make it happen. I believe all the structures are known to get something to use a power from a lua trigger, requirements be damned :). I'd have to disassemble a few necromancers to be sure though. Course, DF 42/43 make things eviler, like spawn would be able to breed in battle and immediately come in as adults. And possibly come in armor.

Though I think there's a fine line being hard and sheer insanity. Though I suppose it might be fun to slip the spawn into drunk fortress next time they gen a world and wait.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: July 12, 2016, 08:27:10 pm »

Banshees, sadly, will not be in the sequel, as 42xx made LOS a hard requirement for interaction targeting and it'd be safe to assume that 43.05 is the same. Breaks my heart, since they were one of my favorite things about this fort, but there's nothing for it.

I don't think there's any way to restrict thieves from using the scream. Interaction AI is extremely rudimentary.

If you're not against mandating the use of a custom build of DFHack (ala Masterwork), I think I can make it happen. I believe all the structures are known to get something to use a power from a lua trigger, requirements be damned :).

Normally I'd be all "HELL FUCKING NO, regular DF modding is complicated enough without throwing third-party utilities that I don't even understand into the mix", BUT I really love the impact banshees had on this fort (NONE of Taupe's turn would have happened if turtling was an option) and I'd be thrilled if I could bring them back for another go.

Also I promise I'll get caught up with all of the bookkeeping and stuff eventually; Braveworks is really tapping me out and I just can't really muster enough spare energy to get anything done here. orz
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: July 12, 2016, 08:42:22 pm »

My god. It happened.

It actually happened.

Never did I ever think, in any fort I have ever participated in, I would see the hallowed "gate operator went on break" scenario.

I laughed far, far hard than I should have.

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: July 13, 2016, 01:39:11 am »

More like Gate operator went berserk/stark raving mad/tantruming and decided fuck everyone and their cat.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1939 on: July 13, 2016, 02:42:50 am »

More like Gate operator went berserk/stark raving mad/tantruming and decided fuck everyone and their cat.

Hindsight being 20-20, I should have deconstructed the fortress self-destruct levers when I had a chance.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1940 on: July 13, 2016, 03:53:44 am »

Clobbermountains - Overseer's Log
NCommander - Militia Commander Reporting
---

The first training catapult has been installed in hopes of allowing us to finally slaw those greater spawn. Even now, ballista are being built in strategic locations around the fort. Rigoth Dumatvuthil has been selected to become our first siege operator, hoping laying us to victory over the greater spawn.

I can already envision the amount of death and destruction this thing will bring.

In other news, I must report a case of either order misinterpretation, or sheer vandalism.

The Late Kings tomb has been desecrated, and his coffin hauled away.

I can only suspect some would find it fitting of His Gaudiness rose from the grave in the form of a ghost. I for one think we should have just left him in place. They'll never know it was me! The King Will Rise!

Unfortunately, we've seemed to have had a slight problem of children dying, no doubt in grief of the King's death.

We also had some confusion on the fact that we have no available bones in Lower Clobbermountains.

A proper skeleton or two was found in the catacombs in the reclaimed fortress, and made available. Am I the only one who's creeped out by the sheer amount of bone requests we get for moods?

As our siege engineers and operators train, I've take a walk through the fortress, and have noticed what appears to be a forgotten zoo, filled with fell beasts.

As I took inventory, I noticed that the beast closest to the entrance was a spider. Normally, forgotten beasts are too crafty to allow themselves to be caged. There is a single exception; a beast trapped within a web can be caught. Seeing the potential at releasing caged horrors, I had some modifications made.

A bridge was installed, a cage trap placed below it, and a fortification carved, in the hope the spider would web over the cages and success create a forgotten beast trap. I noted of the three other beasts, one was also a webber; NOTE TO FUTURE OVERSEERS: DO NOT RELEASE.

It's not like we don't have at least 6-7 levers that if pulled would act like a suicide switch
---

Good news came in two places at once.

Migrants arrived, and for once, made it INSIDE THE AIRLOCK!.

They're now making their way down into the lower fort. Well, most of them anyway. Turns out the most useful of them, a siege engineer, was standing on the bridge when I ordered the fortress sealed shut again and was trapped outside.

Armok help me, dwarven stupidity will be the end of this place. I was going to send someone upstairs to recover him when ...

Stupid mist. Amazingly, the mist missed our idiot engineer, but even with the airlock fully open, no one was willing to risk recovering him.

More disturbingly, I found this on my desk.

We have no knowledge of a thief named Ylas Bilryeloublye ... I don't know who penned the report, or how it got on my desk, but I must say I was spooked as hell. With the possibilitysomething was lurking, I resealed the fort, and condemned him to his fate. I dare not risk releasing banshees into the fort.

---

My study of the levers that make up Clobbermountains continues ...

I think we're ready to begin operation Cage Horror after a few final bits of preparations

---

Good news, bad news log. Let's start with the good news.

I've made my selection on the first fell beast on which to release in what may be an idiotic attempt to cage them. The beasts have been oddly docile as of late.

And with that, I made my selection.

With some careful positioning, the webs have been laid.

The lever pulled and ...

BLAMO!

---

Right, I said we had bad news. Well, about our spawn hunting efforts ...

He missed. Completely. Went right over the things head. Appears we can't hit a target that's lying on the ground. I had several more shots fired, and the same result repeated. Damnination ...

The thing is so close to dead already, but I dare not risk the marksdwarfs again ...

----

OOC: Appears to be a bug in the DFHack siege-engine plugin. Poop. One more update to write

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:56:52 am by NCommander »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: July 13, 2016, 05:08:51 am »

Great update!
Half of it is struck out.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1942 on: July 13, 2016, 05:28:18 am »

Great update!

Fixed. Honestly, I haven't felt much like writing today, but I'm forcing it out so I can properly end my turn.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: July 13, 2016, 05:33:40 am »

Great update!

Fixed. Honestly, I haven't felt much like writing today, but I'm forcing it out so I can properly end my turn.

That's fair enough dude. Even for forcing it out, it was a great update

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: July 13, 2016, 04:29:05 pm »

Coming up with a new story. Here's a tiny (and a bit unrelated) spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:07:41 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1945 on: July 13, 2016, 05:35:10 pm »

Clobbermountains - Overseer's Log
NCommander - Militia Commander Reporting
---

As winter marches on, we can add another disturbing artifact to the pool.

Hollistic spawn earrings ... really? The stupid things probably turn you into a spawn the moment you put them on.

---

As my time as overseer comes to an end, I've decided to put our caged beast to a more noble use. Fighting spawn!

To that end, I've constructed a new airlock into Old Clobbermountains, and had the beast's cage installed within. While I do not expect a single fell beast to singlehandly clean out the remaining spawn, I am hopeful that it can thin their numbers and future deployments will eventually win the day.

The levers are pulled

The iguana is released.

And immediately gets distracted by a table. Fuck.

---

Our attempt to capture another forgotten beast has been foiled due to stupidity.

I am not amused. The turkey however got what was coming at the end of the year.

I'm getting ahead of myself though

---

I get two reports at once. First, Nil, the idiot siege engineer who got trapped outside finally expired.

Secondly, we have confirmed combat against the spawn.

... Failure. The stupid thing didn't even manage to kill a mostly crippled greater spawn. Perhaps if it was a weber it would have fared better but I do not have a time to release such a beast into the upper fortress.

---

I find myself filled with undwarven thoughts. About the spawn, the world, the everyth-

Must build ...

Must construct.

Spring has arrived

---

So concludes the reign of NCommander.

Sorry for the weak update. I posted the save back a few pages ago. I think TheFlame52 is next but I'm not 100% sure

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: July 14, 2016, 03:24:57 pm »

NCommander: Why does everyone in this place need bones?

*5 minutes later*

NCommander: I MUST HAVE BONES!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: July 18, 2016, 12:25:43 pm »

*rises from the ashes*

TheFlame is currently busy with Breadbowl, so I'm going to go ahead and PM Lolfail.

E: Also the dorfing list is kind of FUBAR at the moment, so any dorfing requests should be re-submitted if you want them to be attended to.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:27:36 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: July 18, 2016, 01:25:29 pm »

That's OK. After Breadbowl I have Necrothreat, so just bump me down to the bottom again.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: July 19, 2016, 12:32:40 am »

Turn acknowledged, I'll get started on it either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how fast I can pawn this programming project off to the guy handling the netcode.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 140