Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masterwork D&D 5E Conversions  (Read 1017 times)

Vidox Darkling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masterwork D&D 5E Conversions
« on: July 12, 2015, 03:23:22 am »

I hope this is the right place for this. Not sure if this is a General Discussion thing, Creative Projects Thing, or Other Games thing. Sorry if I'm wrong. Long story short, I'm hosting a Masterwork Dwarf Fortress themed Dungeons & Dragons 5E game. I'm converting a lot of things from the game such as Giant Desert Scorpions and Giant Cave Spiders. I'll post some of what I've converted so far.
Anyways, one thing I was wondering if anyone had any advice for was converting Frost Giants over (the jerks who'll invade your fort if it becomes too advanced). They'll be a late game enemy, but one that I'll want weak enough that there can be armies of. Any advice?

Giant Cave Spider
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Giant Desert Scorpion

Forgotten Beast, Thebi
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:15:50 am by Vidox Darkling »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork D&D 5E Conversions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 03:44:52 am »

Other than an inconsistent write outs.

One issue your having is that a lot of those guys are a lot more epic then how dungeons and dragons 5th edition would handle them. Heck even more then how Dwarf Fortress handles them.

For example the AC on some of those are pretty high. The game already has Giant Scorpions and Giant Spiders that are larger then the DF equivalents (CR 3 giant scorpion with 15 ac)

The way the game works is unless you actually wield real power you aren't going to climb very high in the CRs. A T-rex is the highest CR of natural animal and it is a CR 7 (And is significantly more powerful then a real T-rex for some reason).

Don't be afraid of Low CRs in 5th edition. Even to a party of level 20s a weak monster can actually land a few blows (unlike 3rd and pathfinder).

Also FLAT OUT make that Forgotten Beast a Legendary Monster.

As for how to handle the Frost Giants you just have to ask yourself how powerful they really are and then compare. How supernatural are they? How strong.

edit: Also you might want to edit your scorpion. Does it use Two claw attacks or a single tail attack? or can it opt to not use one claw to instead sting you? as well the average of 2d10+5 isn't 5.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 03:46:39 am by Neonivek »

Vidox Darkling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 03:56:37 am »

Nerfing their AC and their health a bit. The main reason I had their CRs high was because I was trying to capture the lethality of Dwarf Fortress. One good strike could end your life. That, and because I've been making these from scratch as opposed to following the DM's guide on creating monsters. I'm trying to find just the right blend of D&D and Dwarf Fortress. Most of the people ingame are huge fans of DF, so they've been digging what I've been throwing at them so far.
Making Thebi a Legendary Monster as well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 04:04:29 am »

Hmmm well you don't have to follow that, you can make them stronger if you want.

What you can do is give them damage that belies their AC and HP.

So sure... it might have the CR of 2 when it comes to its AC and HP.

But it might have a CR of 6 when it comes to raw damage, just the flat out lethality of its poison would be legendary. It would feel a lot like the game in that Cave Spiders might not be the toughest monster... but one bite and your going to hurt.

That is CR 4 alone with HUGE amount of damage up its wazoo.

Talk it up, let them know how absolutely legendary its poison is. "Though its stature is imposing its toxins are far more intimidating, able to fell giants with a single bite everyone knows to stay away when they come close"

Ok what are the Frost Giants? I don't think those are a thing.

Also Giant Cave Spiders are Medium Creatures apparently.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:05:46 am by Neonivek »

Vidox Darkling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 05:57:42 am »

Frost Giants from Masterwork Dwarf Fortress, not just vanilla.