Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarven Archeology (we want your saves!)  (Read 13684 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Dwarven Archeology (we want your saves!)
« on: July 13, 2015, 03:11:32 am »

So this idea was floated around on the DF subreddit some time back, but it never really caught on.  Which is a shame because I really liked the idea of exploring abandoned fortresses, so I'm trying it again here to see whether it gets more interest on the forums.

FORTRESSES
"Savescum like hell."

Bristledhandles, 'Lekerush' by MobRules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Candylemons, 'Ebsasuleb' by TheCheeseMaker

Earthenrampart, 'Berdishmab' by PTTG??

Fortress of Cheese, 'Geshud Shokmag' by Aiwha

The Dimensions of Typhoons, 'Xah Kafek' by /u/Bric3d

What is Dwarven Archeology?

Dwarven Archeology is the exploring of player fortresses in adventure mode. Playthroughs are usually 'blind', without referring to DF or Legends Mode.  These fortress saves can be contributed by any player who wishes to have their fortress explored by others :).

What can I do?
  • Donate us your saves.  We need fortresses to explore, the older and more complex the better.  Of course, we still gladly accept bloodsoaked holes-in-the-ground if you have 'em.
  • Explore fortresses.  Just pick a save, and get exploring!  Archaeologists are encouraged to document their discoveries in any format they choose.  You could do a narrative, comic, journal... well anything you can think of.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:00:34 am by Bearskie »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Archeology (we need your saves!)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 03:20:04 am »

Will do this with my one save that's interesting. When I get near the right computer. Oh, there's this boring-ish one:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10691

Some people might recognise this from somewhere, bu not too much. Pretty dull as well.
One wheel short of a wagon

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 07:28:11 am »

Hey, I'll take it :P  Thanks mate.  Heads up for everyone else though, the above save hasn't been retired/abandoned yet.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:44:19 am by Bearskie »

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 02:49:56 pm »

I might start a fort for this, design it purely to be interesting from the perspective of an adventurer. It's a shame we can't engrave specific messages on the walls.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 05:05:00 pm »

I might start a fort for this, design it purely to be interesting from the perspective of an adventurer. It's a shame we can't engrave specific messages on the walls.

VERY careful prefernce-choosing, perhaps? Sounds like a Loudwhispers or NW_Kohaku thing to do.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 10:45:37 pm »

Do toggle engravings settings carry over from fortress mode to adventure mode?  If so you could toggle only the interesting engravings so that the adventurer knows which ones are important to view.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 01:10:46 am »

I have just the thing for this! It's a 34.11 fort though, is that okay?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 11:55:17 am »

Definitely!  As long as you make the version number clear, no reason that we cant download previous versions to play the save.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Archeology (we want your saves!)
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 03:11:15 am »

I took a quick trip to Metlanterns today.  No worries NJW2000, I haven't read your community fort yet so I haven't spoiled meself.  Like you said though, nothing awfully exciting about it so this'll be a short and dirty one.

Dear god.  In addition to Metlanterns being in the middle of nowhere, there's just TOO MANY DAMN RIVERS around these parts.  Took me almost 4 days travel to get here...

...but I'm here, so I better get cracking.  And yes, that's a 1-tile-wide rising bridge (and yes, it works). >.> 

This room could've been the farms, but the soil hasn't been tilled or anything.  So I reckon it was used for stockpiling instead - there's certainly enough random stuff lying around to suggest that.

Including a kobold spearman.  Eh, I'm a kind fellow, so I'll leave him alone for n-

Unfortunately my companion is a homicidal sociopath.

Somebody has been messing with the 'toggle engravings (v)' button again.  Nothing interesting here, just some doodling from a chap called Iden.

So I found that the dining room is a sand cavern.  Now I'm starting to question whether they are kobolds instead.

Anyway at least we know they survived through the first winter, because I'm seeing classic trader junk everywhere.

I am, however, immensely interested in this building here.  Pretty sure that these are the magma forges; the walls are warm to the touch. Unfortunately....I can't seem to find my way in.

There is evidence of channeling near the volcano lip, which means that the magma is probably just 1 z-level beneath us.  Unfortunately, I've looked bloody everywhere, but I still can't seem to find my way in.

It may be related to these patchwork constructions I keep seeing throughout the fortress.  But why would they seal off access to the forges?  My best guess would be a possible magma crab intrusion, but I'm personally doubtful of my own theory.

Nothing much else of interest, other than the fact that they had a rudimentary military.  And they (or rather he) liked ibexes.

Well that's about it I guess.  Pretty much a very peaceful fort as you said, although I would hazard a guess that you actually caught the kobold in the entrance cage trap.  Now I'm going to have to read your thread to find out what happened :P (and where is that damn entrance).

EDIT - I'm confused.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:38:17 am by Bearskie »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 03:53:52 am »

Wut? Kobold-y folks? In my fort?

Btw, do I post the answers to what all the stuff was?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 06:47:46 am »

Yep.  Maybe he came to pillage your ruined fortress.

You can do so if you want  :).  Its a pretty small fortress, so I dont mind either way.  Which turn of the N00B fortress is this?  Would’ve been more fun if it was the latest save, that fortress looks like a mess  :P

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 06:50:52 am »

First, unfortunately, though we could do it with the latest.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 02:00:40 pm »

PTW -- I love this idea.

I have a fortress that's been running for ten DF years, as soon as it encounters terminal !FUN!, I'll post it here.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 11:01:50 pm »

PTW.

I may upload one of my world's saves at some point in time for this, but for now will just observe.
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 06:52:07 am »

Note that the fortress doesn't necessarily have to be dead; as long as you retire/abandon it, it should be good to explore.  We can always just assume that thousands of years have passed, and the fortress ruins are being explored instead ;).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6