Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarven Archeology (we want your saves!)  (Read 13686 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Dwarven Archeology (we want your saves!)
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 10:07:42 am »

PTW
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 03:15:56 pm »

Your post title has given me quite the idea. What if instead of just doing archeology with an adventurer, you load up DFhack and fill your Fortress with stone before abandoning to permit true excavations and archaeology? Partially or fully, perhaps with some sealed tombs whilst other areas are just completely filled. Then in Fortress mode you can carefully begin digging out the Fortress (as the smoothed walls remain smoothed) searching for the buried Fortress, and if you're really ambitious use some newfangled DF script that lets your adventurer dig. You could even use that script that designates an area as a lair to ensure buried treasures do not scatter to the surface, so your digging could potentially yield treasured artifacts of the past.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 02:44:04 am »

Your post title has given me quite the idea. What if instead of just doing archeology with an adventurer, you load up DFhack and fill your Fortress with stone before abandoning to permit true excavations and archaeology? Partially or fully, perhaps with some sealed tombs whilst other areas are just completely filled. Then in Fortress mode you can carefully begin digging out the Fortress (as the smoothed walls remain smoothed) searching for the buried Fortress, and if you're really ambitious use some newfangled DF script that lets your adventurer dig. You could even use that script that designates an area as a lair to ensure buried treasures do not scatter to the surface, so your digging could potentially yield treasured artifacts of the past.

Forsure, sounds like a good idea.  I'm open to placing those 'buried fortresses' into the list if anyone actually submits such saves, although considering right now, saves are rather... scarce to begin with.  I'd like to keep the main mode though as it's probably the simpler concept that doesn't require too much effort, which will hopefully encourage more people to get involved and explore stuff.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 10:38:58 pm »

OK, I've uploaded my abandoned fortress:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11017

:)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 10:57:09 pm »

How uh, how do you find the fortresses without legends spoilers?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 11:09:23 pm »

How uh, how do you find the fortresses without legends spoilers?

Ah, oops :). Once my new world finishes generating it's history, I'll open the old region & figure out how to find the fortress.
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 11:11:18 pm »

(I haven't played adventure mode, so in the back of my mind I was picturing the "reclaim fortress" embark screen. But obviously that doesn't help in adventure mode.)

What's the preferred method of providing coordinates/locations?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 11:31:09 pm »

Dunno, but I found it by using the historical map & toggling the last couple decades of development, looking for new sites.
Spoiler: Archaeologist rumours (click to show/hide)
Someone will probably get to it before I can resume the expedition tomorrow though.
Badges of honor

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 11:50:03 pm »

Dunno, but I found it by using the historical map & toggling the last couple decades of development, looking for new sites.
Spoiler: Archaeologist rumours (click to show/hide)
Someone will probably get to it before I can resume the expedition tomorrow though.

Yup, I was just poking around the Ledgends maps as well :) :
http://imgur.com/swUL4lc

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 11:10:48 am »

Easiest is to go into DF mode, selecting reclaim and just noting down the location of the fortress.  Looking forward to see other's results :)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 11:05:21 pm »

The Royal Archaeologist's Society
You let out a small, quiet sigh. Contentment, for the moment.
Sunlight's cutting down through the high windows, illuminating the dust motes agitated by the twenty or so first-years presently shuffling out of the classroom, relief thinly veiled as they head for their mid-day meal. Once the last of the  students is through the portal, you step down from your tall rostrum and proceed to the aisle on one side of the room, where you make a cursory check for odds & ends amongst the curved bench-tables. Climbing the short platforms and casting your eyes down the aisles for forgotten notebooks or missing quills doesn't take long in this stuffy, narrow little room.
Satisfied that nothing's been left behind, you head to the secondary Scholar's Lobby down the hall for your own bit of sustenance.
Packed lunch. Scholarly gazette. Lobby's empty as usual so you take a seat and, there's a small leather-bound book there on the table.

Just a moment's hesitation before your natural curiosity kicks in- no one's around, perhaps they forgot it. Maybe you'll be able to return it to them, whoever 'them' is, much faster than they'd think to look here.
Seeing no harm in merely opening it, you set down your lunch and take it in hand. The leather is smooth, still taught, but is besmirched with oil stains & corners are soon to be ragged. It's not new, but it probably isn't very old either.
Opens without sticking, first page reads;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hehanhuthra...rings a bell.
Skipping over a page, first entry is dated 7 years ago. Hmm..that was..yeah. When old Larfbeight was ousted as a nightcreature. Poor sod lost his pension, 'tenure be damned' they said.
Hehanhuthra was in your Premo-Sem, as you recall, and unless you're mistaken,
Yeah, bright lad. Haven't seen him since first semester though. Huh, must've graduated by now, or been assigned his mandatory fieldwork.
Hm. You unpack your lunch and the thought passes your mind that this would certainly be more interesting than a dry old Scholarly Gazette. And besides, it's not like you know where ol' Ejel is at the moment, so what's the harm in availing yourself to some old scribblings of his? Maybe not so old of course, hehhe
You pick up the journal again and flip it onto its side in your lap, thumbs together on the pages, but stop and give your surroundings another 30 seconds of listening.
All quiet.
You open up to 23 Moonstone, 250

This town will be the death of me. Not because of some curse, or vicious, angry creatures, or a marauding army of darkness. But because of the sheer disrespect and laziness of these country bumpkins.
Today my first orders came in from the RAA- it seems they haven't had much contact with the dwarves of Lekerush for quite some time. About a season- but that's all it takes if one of the Alumni is interested I guess.
That's why I was sent out to this little backwater- they want me to go to the fortress and see what's befallen them. Probably just got sloshed, knowing my old bunkmates.
Now, hear me out, I'm not complaining about the orders. When they got here I was ecstatic. I'd finally be able to put some of what I'd learned into practice. Real Anthropology. Hopefully.
Nothing against the dwarves of course, but I'd rather not just play the glorified messenger, so this better be more than just some mix-up with the pigeons.

So anyway, I packed my things as quickly as I could- light but prepared. That clunky old bronze breastplate might not be the prettiest thing, but I'm kind of glad to have it! Ha! Same goes for the rudimentary combat training they gave me, and the implements of war I suppose.
Anyway, throw on my backpack, notepad & writing utensils, grab enough supplies for a couple days and realize I'm horribly out of breath. Journal, this is the first time I've tried jogging up & down stairs for more than ten minutes in my life. It took a lot out of me, a lot more than I would have expected, and that cooled my jets a little.
I was being a fool.
It may be a quick sojourn, but I am out on the fringe of the fringe. I may run into trouble in the 60 hours I'd be away, and if that were to happen I'd likely end up dead.
Simple enough remedy I thought.
I'll just ask to borrow a few of the lord's men. I've met a few, they knew my mission was important. So I approached the first I spotted, the old ranger hag.
She all but laughed in my face. Remarked 'how enthusiastic for one such as you'. Whatever that means, the tart. I politely excused myself and went to find someone more amenable to reason, but every single guardsman I came across showed just as much disrespect, scoffing and mocking.
Just my luck that the lord and his family just went to visit a neighbor too. The hag was left in charge.
Fine then, I have my orders. They don't want to help me personally, I'll help myself.

I merely borrowed a few pieces of equipment from the armories I mentioned- nothing pricey of course. Just bronze equipment they hadn't deigned me worthy of. And a bronze scimitar of middling quality- better than this rickety silver spear they shoved into my hands, I figure.
After surreptitiously hiding/donning the equipment, I easily snuck back out of the castle, and....then remembered my fatigue.
I don't think I can do much to get in shape and still complete my task in a timely manner, but I think I've come up with a compromise.
The weather is good, the climate fair, and there's a nice river down the road.
I think if I took a couple days to stretch out the kinks down by the river, well, let's just say that, the equipment, and a little luck should see me through where the local rubes didn't. I always did like swimming.
Anyway, I'm taking a breather beneath one of the willows, figure I'll go ask one of the friendlier peasants if I could spend the night in a few more hours.
I can already tell it'll be a long day.

Hm, self-portrait eh? We do teach them to keep their sketching up-to-snuff.
Mm, apples are pretty good.
You take another bite, slicing it away with a clean POP.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:16:35 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 02:28:51 am »

Your writing is riveting.  Very in-character, love it.  And no worries; in this thread there shall be no dibs.

Ps.  Added Bristledhandles to the fortress list
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:36:23 am by Bearskie »

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 06:04:01 am »

Can't wait to see the rest, when you get to it :)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 11:47:36 am »

At some point the forums made a collaborative save.  Like a succession world, but everyone made a different fort so adventurers had lots to explore.

Maybe we could try that again?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 11:49:25 am »

PtW
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6