Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarven Archeology (we want your saves!)  (Read 13679 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Dwarven Archeology (we want your saves!)
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 02:01:10 pm »

Here, I'd have more for you, but the area around the site takes 3s/tile to move through.
At some point the forums made a collaborative save.  Like a succession world, but everyone made a different fort so adventurers had lots to explore.

Maybe we could try that again?
I'd be game but I like muh mods.

The next entry is dated 24 Moonstone, 250

This will be a short entry.
Today I awoke to the sound of near-freezing rain pummeling the house I stayed in. It cleared up before the sun finished rising, but it looked like it had rained all night. Checking the stream confirmed my suspicions, I found it simply too cold to keep to my old plan. But no bother.
Spent the first half of the day completing the trek out of civilized lands, along the way exchanging the silver spear for an extra pack of rations. I also found a parish with a few dwarves and other strange folk praying inside- one of them was able to give me better directions to the fortress than my orders had provided, (lucky stroke).
The other half was spent wandering east on the grassland. Must've waded through a dozen creeks on the way here, the trade route a couple of faint wagon tracks weaving through the trees, roughly parallel the southern snow-line. Shortcuts from the dwarf saved some time.
About an hour ago I caught my first whiff.
Smoke. It got stronger as I continued east.
By now it fills the air, accompanied by a hint of sulfur.
The view from atop a maple provided my first sight of it in the setting sun- Lekerush, or something close to it, is bellowing smoke.
I also thought I spotted a bit of movement around the site, but I can't be certain in this light. This sounds familiar.
I think I'll eat dinner, and then make a makeshift nest in this tree. I'd rather not sleep on the ground out here.
I'll confirm it tomorrow.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 08:10:52 pm »

Here's my fortress:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11023

A note about the world:

I was experimenting with different world gen settings when I made this, so don't be surprised if you run into a few caves or a couple megabeasts.  The fortress is easiest to get to by starting as a dwarf.  The actual fortress isn't far from where you start.

Edit: I realized some drawbridges leading to caverns/HFS are up. If you want to go there, go into the room a few levels down from the surface and pull the levers so they're all 'off' or look like ò
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:32:27 pm by TheCheeseMaker »
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2015, 06:56:43 am »

Gah. In dark souls or bloodborne, one does not get told what a lever does, and I shudder to think of DF falling behind those two in inconvenience. Why not let him find out which one controls the magma floodgates and which one the cavern entrance himself?
One wheel short of a wagon

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2015, 07:22:56 am »

Candylemons ~

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bah. My leg is bleeding out again. 

That bleedin' roc took a sizable chunk off me, and I barely snuck by a troop of cyclops who were too busy arguing amongst themselves, bless their thick skulls.  It seems as though the whole host of darkness is descending upon our mountainhome, no doubt commanded by that foul goblin scourge Ostsnot.  I do not see how we can survive such a battle.  But perhaps I am a coward for leaving them behind.

I've arrived at Candylemons, and in shock I bear witness to a scene of devastation.  The landscape is atorch with flames, with the smell of char lingering heavily in the air.  There are refugees everywhere, dwarves, humans, elves; this war has clearly taken its toll on us all.  I recognize a few faces from Uristolon, but we avoid meeting each other's eyes.  No doubt they harbour the same festering guilt that I have - the guilt of the reluctant survivor. 

Yet I wander through the wreckage, struggling to grasp what had happened here.  Afterall, Candylemons was said to be the second grandest fortress after the mountainhome, with a defence to rival any sieging force.  Who, or rather what, could have brought such damnation upon this site?

The sound of rushing water greets me as I stepped into the fortress.  Gentle mist arising from the artificial brook within worked to soothe my nerves ever-so-slightly. 

It was only later that I understood the price they paid to build it.

The guard tower was abandoned (well colour me surprised).  Judging from the overturned racks and stands, they must've left here in a hurry; nothing here now but dusty emptiness and a lingering smell of cheese.

Candylemons was founded in the year 2 - as a number of engravings around the fortress tells me.  Other artworks such as statues and artifacts continue to depict events up to the year 5.  After of which, presumedly the whole fortress turned into a blazing ball of fire. 

I wandered absentmindedly through the dining room, still dissatisfied with the whole affair.  If this were a crime scene, there would've been a decided lack of evidence for the detective to follow.  No dead goblins, no shattered armor, no battle stains.  Beady pairs of eyes tracked me across the lever room - various exotic creatures, all kept for the amusement of their dead masters.

So, deeper then.  There were mysteries still hidden in the depths.  A quick return to the main stairwell, pausing to break the lock on a set of floor hatches blocking my way.  I descended into the darkness below-

-and realize too late, that I have doomed us all.

[[I got rekt]]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:47:50 am by Bearskie »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 01:43:33 pm »

Cool catch with the slabs, and 'exotic creatures' indeed! (crows  :P)

I think fortress-mode reclamation expeditions would be superior to adv mode. Especially if we could get a fog of war mod implemented, & if we can set humies/elves to fortress-makers without restarting the world.
Would let us build/dig where needed, and bring along a few custom-made bruisers/field-guides.

Here's another entry, still working on exploring the fortress. (slowly)
I think the next one will be a field report similar to Bearskie's first log.

----------------
You continue to sip your expensive quarry bush tea, (luke warm but still tastes great). The standard sounds are still going in the distance- muttering & chatting in the dining hall, clinking of dishes, footfalls on stairs.

25 Moonstone, 250

Was startled awake this morning by an ear-piercing shriek and a strong gust of wind.
Opened my eyes to see what looked like a 10-foot-tall feathered bat with an elongated, fin-like head spewing a great cloud of sparkling dust at a flock of ravens who were pecking at the ground about 60 feet away. It caught them all with the blast, even as they hurriedly rushed into the air, then opened its enormous wings and began to flap.
It hadn't seen me yet, but I'd taken off half of my gear and left it upended on the branches around me. Hadn't finished processing what was happening before I saw it zero in on one of the ravens that had taken off and was currently directly above my tree.
The beast was releasing voluminous clouds of dust with each beat of its wings, and I knew I didn't want that on me.
One and two put together, in what I'd rather proudly describe as an impressive feat of adroitness on my part, I leapt to the nearest branch and as quickly and...quietly as I could, barefoot, sprinted along the limb for as long as long as I dared.
I heard the thing take off in pursuit of the raven as I leapt from the branch, spring-board-like, into the next tree over. (applewalnut, if I recall correctly)
It wasn't pretty- I broke my fall alright, mostly with my nose, on the ground. But I was able to scramble behind cover and look over my shoulder.
The flying devil was systematically chasing down each and every raven it had laid eyes on- by some lucky miracle I'd managed to avoid its ire.
You would not believe my sense of relief as it flew off and I snuck away.

Right now I'm a safe distance away from the fort, retreated back a mile or two. My nose should heal well, and other than that I've just got minor scrapes and some large bruises.

But I'm not going to leave just like that. Damnit I'm an archaeologist, (or soon will be).
I'll wait till nightfall, then I'll creep back in and see if I can do some actual investigation. (well, a bit more than this at least)
Wish me luck.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:13:49 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 07:26:16 am »

Hmm, do you think that's possible?  Sounds like rather advanced modding to me, yours and Loud Whispers suggestion.

I think a key disadvantage right now is that it eventually gets quite tiring plodding through dozens of rooms, examining things, trying to find that one detail that will shed light on the fortresses history.  Sometimes you find it, most times you end up finding a pile of socks instead.

And blimey, cant believe you actually survived that.  I've died twice already in that fort.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 08:15:09 am »

Hmm, do you think that's possible?  Sounds like rather advanced modding to me, yours and Loud Whispers suggestion.

I think a key disadvantage right now is that it eventually gets quite tiring plodding through dozens of rooms, examining things, trying to find that one detail that will shed light on the fortresses history.  Sometimes you find it, most times you end up finding a pile of socks instead.

And blimey, cant believe you actually survived that.  I've died twice already in that fort.

I think that disadvantage is going to stay unless we get some way to control what dwarves engrave, so you can ignore rooms full of civilisation images and Urist embracing three gophers, and look for a room full exclusively of fort histroy
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2015, 08:33:41 am »

Ah, well, that's archaeology for you. The biggest problem, I think, is the amount of RL time it takes to just move around. Last couple sessions it was better, ~2 seconds/tile, but that's still prohibitive.
Fortress mode would solve that & provide a couple other bonuses.
If only it had fog of war.

(stone-fill)
If loud whispers made a tutorial, (twitches eyebrows at LW), it'd be an option.
Though it might seem kinda out-of-place for freshly-abandoned forts, 'less we pretend it's further into the future than it is.
How's the archaeology at NPC-forts anyway?

(survived)
Hehe, stage magic.

-e
Huh, you know, Lwhisper's stone-fill might actually solve the fog-o-war problem. In a gamey sort of way.
Say if you seal off sections of the fortress, room-by-room, would you have to tunnel into it before it's revealed?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:34:11 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2015, 02:37:49 pm »

Yeah, sorry about all the clowns.

It would be good if there were a way to edit out all the dangers in the abandoned fort -- or to at least control how much !!Fun!! is there to make it feasable for a lone advanturer -- and just say that a long time has passed.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2015, 05:47:35 pm »

Yeah Bearskie, I went to Candylemons in adventure mode, and I'm not sure why there are so many demons. We didn't actually fall to them. I guess the demons who were in Hell were telepoted to the surface when I abandoned.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 04:21:43 am »

Huh, you know, Lwhisper's stone-fill might actually solve the fog-o-war problem. In a gamey sort of way.
Say if you seal off sections of the fortress, room-by-room, would you have to tunnel into it before it's revealed?

This sounds rather promising.  I'm going away for the next week, but I'll give it a shot when I return.

Your post is wacked out, by the way :P

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 04:57:05 am »

I think that disadvantage is going to stay unless we get some way to control what dwarves engrave, so you can ignore rooms full of civilisation images and Urist embracing three gophers, and look for a room full exclusively of fort histroy

With statues, at least, it's easier to cull the uninteresting ones. I'm getting into the habit of creating an organized set of "statue storage rooms" where I build as-yet-unused statues. When I want a statue, I can look through the ones in the appropriate room, choose one to unbuild, and then build in its new location. And I sell lots of statues to the caravans -- low quality and redundant ones. Also ones that show one of my dorfs being removed from office or surrounded by hated vermin looking terrified.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 11:35:59 am »

With statues, at least, it's easier to cull the uninteresting ones. I'm getting into the habit of creating an organized set of "statue storage rooms" where I build as-yet-unused statues. When I want a statue, I can look through the ones in the appropriate room, choose one to unbuild, and then build in its new location. And I sell lots of statues to the caravans -- low quality and redundant ones. Also ones that show one of my dorfs being removed from office or surrounded by hated vermin looking terrified.

I always keep the ones mocking my dwarves in special punishment rooms, for when they fuck up royally.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2015, 05:12:05 pm »

PTW. This is right up my alley. I'd be glad to do anyone's saves.
Regards,
Dampe

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2015, 11:33:16 am »

Hey uh, MB, how big is this place? I'm still just below the farming area, in the dyeworks/weavery, takes an 2+ 3+ hours to 'clear' a level & take notes/occasional pictures.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:02:35 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6