Set up a contraband workshop for money
- 2 (15.4%)
Increase scouting coverage with zeppelins
- 6 (46.2%)
Raid a mansion
- 5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35

Author Topic: X-PirateZ, Gal get punched in the face  (Read 154238 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: X-PirateZ, Where's the gold?
« Reply #405 on: January 04, 2016, 09:47:11 am »

Might be Xcom Extended (which I probably should have for Piratez). I'm running vanilla.
It's a game. Have fun.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 04, 2016, 09:48:19 am »

Might be Xcom Extended (which I probably should have for Piratez). I'm running vanilla.

Ah, that's why, Piratez (the vanilla one) is more ancient than Piratez Extended, which is the maintained version.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 04, 2016, 09:54:53 am »

PTW.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 06, 2016, 10:17:43 pm »

Cheers. Assuming I survive a mission or two, if the flame thrower doesn't do the trick, there's always a chance of a heavy flamer down the track.

A cattle-prod applied between the buttocks always seems to work though. It's everything's weak spot, and whilst they may not all have genitals, everything seems to have buttocks. If one doesn't work, two zaps will, to everything but the heaviest armour. Then drop a smoke if they don't fall.

Nothing funnier than opening a door on a commander that is facing the wrong way.

Anyway, I'm going to do a restart of my run with extended. Or extended-extended, from Meridian's custom openxcom.exe. There's heaps of cool quality of life additions that he's coding in. Nothing cheaty, just useful stuff.

Check it out here:
http://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.0.html

Looks to be shaping up as a goody, made just to help his own Let's Play on YouTube (here: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe0K-GUDQkNJM3d7NgS4gU7u-Pm-4JWk3 ). He doesn't follow proper deployment procedures, but whatever. A damn good .exe mod, and not a bad LP.

ps, voting for more dakka and choppas. Or specifically, Heavy Flamers and whatever.
Combat Cooking Class. Very Important. Samantha can help teach :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:18:17 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 07, 2016, 07:08:37 pm »

.exe seems to work. Had one crash on my playthrough, but I think it's a X-piratez thing, not an openxcomext.exe thing.

But I can safely say that the flamer/prod combo works in extended still. Not as well as in vanilla (things have more armour, your gals stats (stamina/energy especially) tend to be crappier, and flamer's damage/prod's accuracy have been toned down), but still not bad at what it does. Even on the highest difficulty level. 5 missions down, only two dead gals, 4-6 gals with the combo at any given time. Cheaper than rockets for a lot of targets, and you get it really early if you research smugglers straight away. Even really weak gals in runt suits can carry the gear, and it's pretty good at 30k a pop (plus whatever armour, but just runt duds or smokey and you're pretty well off).

Good for damage, good for captures, good for hit-n-runs against medium+ ufos. Just drop the prod in the bonny, run in, flame something, pinch their weapons and run away. Drop a smoke grenade on the way out if you're worried about dieing.

Usually two gals with flamers can take down most things that don't have really heavy armour. Doesn't work well vs flyers though. But it's great for buildings/ufos/outside.

It often takes 3-4 of them to stun enemies with the prods. Check your energy before you make a capture run. It's kind of embarrassing to all be standing around an enemy with plenty of TUs, but no-one can zap them due to lack of energy. It's not a bad idea to carry a handle or fisticuffs in the QD slot either, just in case TUs are the problem. Or just shoot them a couple of times before you decide whether frying or capturing is your best option. Bullet wounds makes the prods work better. I probably use <CTRL> key running too much, thus the lack of energy.

Anyway, can't wait until I research heavy flamers and electroswords.

Looking forward to see how Samantha does in the LP too :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:25:07 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 08, 2016, 03:41:35 am »

Flamers damages morale however so it sometimes disable them as long as they are not to fire. Either way it's still a very effective weapons, part of its damage ignores armor and hurt enemies are inaccurate enemies. Intercepting a church ship is the best way to get free pieces.

Something that is hard to spot is that enemies have a dodge modifier too and so the melee accuracy you see is not the real one, but the one before the enemy stats are applied. You cannot run in and melee someone, you need covering fire and actions points to fall back. Giving the gals beer is important to let them restore energy.

Long range flamers are also good, but not a direct upgrade by the way, you are trading damage for safety and as a whole I feel it's better.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: X-PirateZ, BONUS UPDATE
« Reply #411 on: January 08, 2016, 03:46:30 pm »

As my computer is still in a cardboard box, I took my laptop and played a bit with it. That should help us wait for our next pirate adventures.

A little git update...

A little make not-install...

Alright, let’s play it from start to finish!

Ironman Superhuman run, with better gauss and enhanced magma magna pack.

Gave my base a good name that will sure motivate the troops.

And a good save name.

I got the choice between a line of weapon that gets obsolete immediately, a medkit that I cannot use because soldiers dies at the first stone throw, and a new radar. Since I activated enhanced Gauss weapons, why not give it a try?

After a couple of weeks, I got pistols with more stopping power than dart rifles. It was not as accurate as a rifle, but the gauss rifle was nearby.

I also used the time to buy a tank and some supplies. After a couple of more days, an alien sub finally touched down.

And here was our dream team, they courageously spent the first turn crying in their sub while the enemy moved around.

Angel spotted the first alien and blew it up into pieces.

Prince(ss) Expendable tried throwing a grenades are a couple of aquatoids but it did nothing! Nothing at all! (The grenade we 1 z-level higher but I am sure I added multi-level explosions)

So he tried finishing them with an explosive shell from her cannon but screwed up and shot at his feet. It was the first time I see aquanauts survive any wound.

I had to finish the mission before two of my soldiers die of their wounds so old tactics were used. Enemies spotted were shot by snipers from the transport sub, those who were too far were taken out with grenades and a trio of aquanauts rushed the alien sub to kill the survivors.

What a good start!

Uh oh…

Since the engineers made gauss pistols and ammo, I loaded it up and went for the terror site. This is when I realized I did a big mistake. It was a night terror and I FORGOT TO TAKE THE FLARES! To add insult to the injury, the Triton transport sub was in the middle of the playfield, in case I manage to evade an ambush.

Reaction shots were everywhere, despite passing the first turn. The aquanauts could not even get far from their submarine. To make matters worse, the gauss pistol barely did anything to the enemies. Grenades did not help either.

The result can be summed up with this picture.

Not a good start at all. The council told me to eat a bag of dicks.

So I decided to give the Gauss weapons the finger and try to get a basic armor. The problem was that I did not accomplished it before the second terror mission, and I detected no USO at all, even despite building a better radar.

And guess how well the terror mission went.

This was my second attempt, but I am not finished. “Je vais te trouver, Cthulu! Et quand je te trouverai, je te péterai ta sale gueule!”

Me: 0, TFTD: 2
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:57:37 pm by Boltgun »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-PirateZ, Bonus Update
« Reply #412 on: January 08, 2016, 06:49:59 pm »

I may just be half-asleep, but the sole of the shoe in the weapon description page is really unfortunate. I spent a few seconds trying to figure out what negative accuracy means...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 09, 2016, 06:56:36 pm »

TFtD is hard, especially on hard mode.

In my Piratez playthrough, I restarted on Hard/Davey Jones (not superhuman/Jack Sparrow. There were just too many aliens, so progress was crawling). I've managed to take down a large ufo (just a trader supply ship), and got my 18 gals kitted out pretty well. 7 flamers, 16 prods, 3 assault cannons with exploding balls (the best/cheapest fire support, and totally replace hammers for object/wall removal) and a heavy machine gun for big things/"sniping". I'll probably swap it out for another assault cannon most of the time, as I seriously underestimated how useful they are in larger groups. Exploding cannonballs aren't on the wiki, but they're amazing and cheap ($400 each/$2000 for 5, quick to make, arcing shots for destruction anywhere). There's nothing more Piratey than having your own cannon detachment supporting the gals, and about 4 of them should do the trick. There's heaps of other stuff that I tend to take on a whim or for extra firepower sometimes. Research will catch up eventually. Hopefully.

I do have armour, but everyone is in runt duds or gym suits for now. Bikinis are about to be researched too. That extra stamina/energy regen is a godsend for noobs, but it's pretty good for anyone. Stamina is the main limiting factor on mêlée captures, so this sorts that problem.

I usually capture 2-6 aliens a mission, so it seems to be fine. I just toast or cannonball anything inconveniently positioned, while abusing the hell out of smoke grenades for cover while my primary prodders run in. I started in Australia (Death Realms) this time around, so it's usually desert or jungle missions, and this mix of weaponry works great on both. It's expensive to buy/run, but the fewer deaths and extra captures makes it work out not too bad money wise.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 07:29:58 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 10, 2016, 01:17:37 am »

Oh, by the way, it was nice seeing Fatman revived, however briefly.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 11, 2016, 04:06:34 am »

Oh, by the way, it was nice seeing Fatman revived, however briefly.

Yes, and he did not friendly fire a seaman this time. Next time, maybe?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 11, 2016, 04:12:03 am »

Now, for the most important question of all time:
Was I an Aquanaut in your short X-Com 2 game?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 11, 2016, 04:14:46 am »

Now, for the most important question of all time:
Was I an Aquanaut in your short X-Com 2 game?

Yep, and you died in the terror site holding a gauss peashooter.

Hohlokot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 11, 2016, 06:37:39 pm »

Thanks for the great text LP.

Another rookie incoming=)

Name: Hohol
Favorite Weapons: 1-handed sword and shotgun
Outfit: something light
Playstyle: kill enemies from behind as often as posible
Litle surprise: if i should die make it it self-sacrafice with explosive in hand

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 12, 2016, 04:50:47 am »

Encore!
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35