Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't make candy bars!  (Read 1129 times)

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't make candy bars!
« on: July 14, 2015, 05:57:53 pm »

So I've extracted a ton of raw candy. I'm making it into strands, but even though I have some ready there is no option to make wafers of it at the smelter. Like it's not even there in red, it just doesn't exist.

For full disclosure I'm using the All Races Playable mod and playing a human fortress.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Can't make candy bars!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 06:15:54 pm »

That's probably intentional. Dwarves are generally supposed to be the only ones with adamantine in mods like that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 06:16:01 pm »

No race except dwarves has [PERMITTED_REACTION:ADAMANTINE_WAFERS] in their entity by default, so unless the mod you're playing added that to humans, you're out of luck.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 06:20:36 pm »

That's why I generally don't even go past the first cavern layer when playing humans. Humans can still make candy cloth, correct? You could have candy thread woven into clothes at least, if they can't make cloth.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 06:30:04 pm »

That's why I generally don't even go past the first cavern layer when playing humans. Humans can still make candy cloth, correct? You could have candy thread woven into clothes at least, if they can't make cloth.

Would that clothing still act like armor to some degree? I mean if that's the case then I could just make Tunics and cloaks for my army.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 06:33:04 pm »

It wouldn't be as protectiv as armor , and would eventually degrade after a few years of use, but if you have candy and no other use for it, you might as well do it. You would also be able to wear other armors with it, which is a slight benefit to this.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 06:37:29 pm »

You might do well to buy steel from the dwarves with candy cloth crafts... all the steel they can bring with one craft, perhaps?
One wheel short of a wagon

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 10:54:23 pm »

Would that clothing still act like armor to some degree? I mean if that's the case then I could just make Tunics and cloaks for my army.

DFHack has an option to prevent degradation of adamantine cloth, because adamantine degrading doesn't really make much sense according to most people's conception of the material itself. However, getting your military to wear the adamantine stuff would be pretty much impossible - your other humans would probably grab the shiny as fast as they could get their grubby hands on it. In theory you could use burrows and uniform manipulation coupled with confiscation to force them to pick up the addy gear, but it'd probably be more trouble than it's worth.

You can also mod your humans on the fly with the afore-mentioned reaction to allow your smiths to smelt it into wafers. Go to /df_40_24_win/data/save/regionX/objects and mess with the civilization files.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 02:50:38 am »

DFHack has an option to prevent degradation of adamantine cloth, because adamantine degrading doesn't really make much sense according to most people's conception of the material itself. However, getting your military to wear the adamantine stuff would be pretty much impossible - your other humans would probably grab the shiny as fast as they could get their grubby hands on it. In theory you could use burrows and uniform manipulation coupled with confiscation to force them to pick up the addy gear, but it'd probably be more trouble than it's worth.

You can also mod your humans on the fly with the afore-mentioned reaction to allow your smiths to smelt it into wafers. Go to /df_40_24_win/data/save/regionX/objects and mess with the civilization files.
Generally, I've found that setting a uniform need, then crafting the items prevents civilians from getting them.
A adamantine cloak will stop almost any sharp attack, especially as the worst you generally get attacked with is iron, with occasional steel (should ye anger the dwarves), but won't do anything much to stop a blunt attack, being so light (not that adamantine armour does much better)
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 10:24:39 am »

No you can't. Changes to entity files have no effect on an already generated world. It's because the civilizations already exist desperate of the entity. If somehow new civilizations got made from that template then it would probably work, but that doesnt happen.
Anyway, there's also a specific item option in the military screen, something along those lines. If you press the equipment button it's the first option, press enter then you get a list of all items of that type you can look through, and adamantine clothing would probably be at the top of the clothing list, or right at the end of the armor list. In my experience people only grab new clothes if they need new clothes, so as long as you keep them fully clothed they shouldn't be grasping for the adamantine.