Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Superweapon engineering, feedback requested.  (Read 1137 times)

Boss Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Superweapon engineering, feedback requested.
« on: July 14, 2015, 09:17:47 am »

Now I have always felt that the best part of !!Science!! is in the monstrously dangerous constructions we devise to outwit, outprepare, or just outsmash our enemies (or non-useful friends).

I didn't see a thread for general discussion of these marvels of dwarven ingenuity, so I present a design I have never tried and I ask that you guys try to think of why it might not be viable. It's for the clowns.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Green is retracting drawbridges; I aim to close one to make the labyrinth the only way from mine to fortress when the time comes.

The labyrinth on the right has only one path and will be full of bears to slow clown progress a little to allow stragglers to enter before the quicker ones reach the fort.

Yellow is supports whose activation will produce "results".

Pink boxes show where a tunnel will have constructed roof and floor, but raised drawbridges instead of walls (because walls don't break so well when you drop stuff on them.)

The ideal result is that the labyrinth falls, smashes everyone in it, and breaches a container of water and a container of magma to encase all the resulting mess and give my dwarves something to engrave afterwards. Then I might drop hammers on it all, but it might be dead bodies, eggs, children, more bears or whatever. Then I'll drop the that container onto it all for good measure.

I would be grateful if anyone could identify flaws in this design (other than FPS death when they all try to path through the labyrinth), and I'd love it if others could submit their own interesting designs for special weapons in this thread also.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Superweapon engineering, feedback requested.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 12:57:54 pm »

I like using the bears to slow down the faster clowns, altho' it will pro'ly only be an eyeblink, so the more, the better. (Perhaps add in some wooden doors?)

Dropping the water and magma has to be timed correctly (possibly by putting the water on retracting bridges a couple layers above the magma, sitting on same?) so they mix properly. I'm not sure if liquids "fall" so much as teleport - coffee hasn't kicked in yet this morning, memory a little hazy on that detail. (Someone else will know shortly.)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 05:10:40 pm »

This looks like a good plan. The water and magma need to have one level of air between them for them to properly obsidianize the remnants that fall through from the labyrinth above.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Boss Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 03:53:29 am »

So, add doors and a layer of air, got it. Thanks guys, I'll add results when I've finished constructing it, if my PC doesn't seize up as soon as the clowns come.