Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does the child pop cap work in LNP?  (Read 2059 times)

Araulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does the child pop cap work in LNP?
« on: July 14, 2015, 04:35:17 pm »

I can't figure out what it means. It may be a ratio thing, but if it is I don't understand it. My apologies for being bad at math. T_T

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does the child pop cap work in LNP?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:35:53 pm »

I don't know about any LNP settings; you'll probably have an easier time if you just set Dwarf Fortress's own BABY_CHILD_CAP (from d_init.txt)...and, honestly, its defaults are pretty sensible. It has the form [BABY_CHILD_CAP:x:y], where x is the maximum number of children that're allowed at a time and y is the percentage of the adult population the child population is allowed to be. At any given time in-game, whichever number is lower is the one that'll be used, and if you have at least that many children, no one else will get pregnant until some of them grow up.

If you leave it at the default ([BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]), it means that you can have at most a hundred children *or* ten times as many children as adults, whichever is lower. If you only had seven adult dwarves, you could only have seventy children, because that's less than a hundred, but if you had 11 adults you could have a hundred (because 10x11 = 110, which is greater than 100).

Also be sure to check out the actual population caps, which set how many dwarves *total* (adults and children) you're allowed to have. DF's config files are very thoroughly commented.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:50:33 pm »

The LNP settings are just the init settings exported to the interface for you.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 08:18:25 am »

Well, good then. Based on the thread's title, I assumed it was for some super-new dfhack plugin or some such, which would've been odd since df's own system covers it.

Araulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 02:05:30 pm »

Thanks for the help! :D