Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why my miners don't want to mine some areas  (Read 2738 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why my miners don't want to mine some areas
« on: July 15, 2015, 09:09:47 am »

Hi all!

Why my miners don't want to mine some areas?
- They have enabled "Mining" labor
- They have pickaxes
- They have an access to this areas
- They don't have any job atm, indicating "No job"

The only thing I can see at this point is the burrow, but ofc these areas are located in the burrow which they belonged.

You can download the save file from here -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/125irx3wfdbmo44/region1.zip?dl=0

Thanks in advance.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why my miners don't want to mine some areas
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 01:22:39 pm »

Your miners are too busy constantly taking and immediately cancelling wood hauling jobs to do any actual mining. You can disable wood hauling in the standing orders menu, or bump the mining designations up to priority 1 so your miners will dig instead of trying to haul wood.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 01:30:56 pm »

+1 - I turn off ALL other labors, esp. any/all "hauling" labors, on my miners. Last thing I want is for them to march up from the depths to move a tallow biscuit a few tiles, and then march back.

DF likes specialization of effort. Have your no-skill peasants do the hauling (and even then, try to localize them - some do food, some do wood, etc.) The less a dwarf has to walk back and forth between jobs, the more productive they'll be in the work they are assigned.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 01:32:08 pm »

or bump the mining designations up to priority 1 so your miners will dig instead of trying to haul wood.
What? I thought the designation priorities just controlled which squares were dug first. Are you saying that a pri1 designation is handled in preference to any other job? Source? Science?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 01:43:02 pm »

Priorities govern which _jobs_ are taken first, i.e. you can use it to make dwarfs dig areas in a given order, but also to make them dig (priority chosen by overseer) instead of hauling (priority 2, apparently). At priority 2 or 1, dwarfs will start digging after a while.

Anyway, everyone's taking and cancelling wood hauling jobs like it's going out of style because your current alert has every civilian confined underground while all the wood is aboveground. Hauling and burrows don't work well together. I'm not questioning your burrowing decision, mind. The surface seems to have a bit of a profane soot (and giant wren profane soot zombie) issue.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 01:47:10 pm »

Your miners are too busy constantly taking and immediately cancelling wood hauling jobs to do any actual mining. You can disable wood hauling in the standing orders menu, or bump the mining designations up to priority 1 so your miners will dig instead of trying to haul wood.
From where they are trying to take these wood?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 01:54:32 pm »

Are you saying that a pri1 designation is handled in preference to any other job? Source? Science?

The job priorities release (v0.40.20) presumably gave all jobs a priority value. Most are internal, however designations allow the player to set the priority.

Feel free to download the save and test it yourself. Setting a single dig designation to priority 1 gets the work started; setting it to 3 does not.

I reported the excessively high priority of hauling as a bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9023

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 02:50:15 pm »

But why they are trying to haul these woods from the aboveground at all? I thought that they shouldn't be considered as items available for the hauling because of the borrow's restrictions.

How can I avoid such behavior then? Is it ok to disable burrow and prevent dwarves from walking aboveground another way (for example, floodgates)? Will it fix my problem?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 03:11:26 pm »

You'll have to forbid the wood on the surface (this may cause some FPS degradation.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 03:59:38 pm »

Alternatively, use the
  • rders menu to tell dwarves to ignore wood, if you're not worried about collecting it from the caverns at the moment.