Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Full Scientific Calculator [need feature suggestions]  (Read 1999 times)

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Full Scientific Calculator [need feature suggestions]
« on: January 21, 2016, 11:45:06 am »

Hi there,

I do a lot of math, so obviously I own a scientific calculator.
However, when I looked up Google Play for one of the same caliber, I was surprised by the lack of results.
I took it upon myself to program a serious calculator for the phone. Took me 3 months of learning and work.

Major features that make it stand out
- Full, unlimited math formatting.
- Dynamically scaling UI and screen that changes based on the size of the phone or equation.
- Scalable and navigable screen providing unlimited digit support.
- Super functionality, from Boolean algebra all the way to matrices. No feature left behind.
- Very easy and smooth navigation through the equation, no matter how complex.
- Bonus features that no calculator I've seen has, such as 4th degree polynomials and linear systems.

It should be noted that this is of course a full mockery of the complete feature list.

Screenshots

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Feel free to give it a try and attempt to break it as much as possible, so far I haven't managed to pinch any bugs.
 Feedback is of course much appreciated. I even welcome feature requests.

Google Play Download

Google Play - Full Scientific Calculator

25/03/16
The calculator is pretty much complete and bug-free. As such, I made it possible to purchase premium. However, I don't feel like I'm done with it and I want to exploit the full potential of having a calculator that really doesn't miss out features. Ever since its initial release I've added 3 more pages of features as suggested by users.

I am now asking for people to throw ANY feature requests at me. Things that they WISH they had on a calculator that would make their life much easier. While not mandatory, it's preferable to keep the theme in the scientific calculator realm, and not a "bmi calculator" or some other silliness.

Once I have 34 new functions, I will update the calculator to have a 5th page.
Also, don't worry about suggesting features that already exist, I will point them out with no ill-intent.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 11:46:31 am by Geltor »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: A Full Scientific Calculator on Android
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 12:13:50 pm »

Any chance of a Windows phone version any time? This looks legitimately very cool, but I don't use an Android device any more.

I've wanted a scientific calculator for my phone many times, but less proactively. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 12:16:11 pm »

Any chance of a Windows phone version any time? This looks legitimately very cool, but I don't use an Android device any more.

I've wanted a scientific calculator for my phone many times, but less proactively. :P
At this point I'm currently doing first-stage field testing, after that I'll look into expanding into iOS and Windows phone (though I have no experience with Windows, so no promises!)

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:06:07 pm »

Update:
Here are a few new features:

- Matrices up to 3x3 cells, with inversion, transposition, diagonals, scalar multiplication and squares.
- Fully-fledged Boolean algebra between bases 2 to 16, with logical operators and arithmetic.
- Scientific constants
- Imperial/Metric conversions
- Engineering notation
- GCF and LCM functionality.
- Remainder calculation

Have to admit, the app is doing okay. Has a couple of thousand downloads. The start was rough with bugs that really brought the ratings down, hopefully it will change.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:54:01 pm by Geltor »

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 08:32:40 pm »

Dude. Sell this, or the updates to it. Because why not? People buy similarly powered calculators for money, you have a nice clean interface, and it's a lot of work putting something like this together. All of those reasons point towards 'you should be making money from this and/or selling out' to me =D

Anyway, I don't own an android myself, so I can't help test. I just want to support the idea personally. But I've pointed a few friends to it and told them to provide any feedback through the email in the store.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 06:25:22 am »

Dude. Sell this, or the updates to it. Because why not? People buy similarly powered calculators for money, you have a nice clean interface, and it's a lot of work putting something like this together. All of those reasons point towards 'you should be making money from this and/or selling out' to me =D

Anyway, I don't own an android myself, so I can't help test. I just want to support the idea personally. But I've pointed a few friends to it and told them to provide any feedback through the email in the store.
That was also my first intuition. But I have data that shows that the app is on constant growth, and I think that revenue wise, it might be smarter to keep it free and make revenue from the very minor ad on the bottom, since it's a constant, risk-free investment.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 10:35:46 am »

Update:
Here are a few new features:

- A new page mainly focusing on STAT calculations such as: mean, median, range, midrange, sum of squares, variance, gini coefficient, skewness, kurtosis, mean deviation, standard deviation, standard mean error, relative standard deviation, root mean square, trimean, interquartile mean, interquartile range, etc.
- Mixed fraction calculations
- DMS or sexagesimal calculations
- Decimal to/from fraction conversion
- Normal and inverse cotangent, secant and co-secant functions.
- GCF AND LCM with variable arguments
- Other minor additions such as the plus/minus sign.

Finally, the UI was revamped to make for a more sensible button placement.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:47:26 am by Geltor »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 10:39:36 am »

Oooooh, that look nice. I downloaded it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 10:51:29 am »

Oooh boy.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Full Scientific Calculator [need feature suggestions]
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 11:46:42 am »

The calculator is pretty much complete and bug-free. As such, I made it possible to purchase premium. However, I don't feel like I'm done with it and I want to exploit the full potential of having a calculator that really doesn't miss out features. Ever since its initial release I've added 3 more pages of features as suggested by users.

I am now asking for people to throw ANY feature requests at me. Things that they WISH they had on a calculator that would make their life much easier. While not mandatory, it's preferable to keep the theme in the scientific calculator realm, and not a "bmi calculator" or some other silliness.

Once I have 34 new functions, I will update the calculator to have a 5th page.
Also, don't worry about suggesting features that already exist, I will point them out with no ill-intent.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 11:48:08 am »

Do you already do derivatives/antiderivatives?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 11:50:06 am »

Do you already do derivatives/antiderivatives?
yes  :-X

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 12:50:35 pm »

To be honest, the one thing that bother me with your app is not the lack of function, it's the loading time. But then I don't really need to do advanced math, I just need to play a bit with logs and exponential in the day-to-day design of experiment at the lab, so it's possible I'm just not the target audience.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 03:08:03 pm »

To be honest, the one thing that bother me with your app is not the lack of function, it's the loading time. But then I don't really need to do advanced math, I just need to play a bit with logs and exponential in the day-to-day design of experiment at the lab, so it's possible I'm just not the target audience.
Never heard that one before. You mean the 2-3 second loading time at start-up, right? It's the time everything gets re-scaled according to the user's screen to fit everything symmetrically. To be honest, I've done that more brutally than I should have, one of the earliest parts of the code.

I'll see to it that next time these things will be cached at the start. It's annoyances like these is what I'm always trying to fish out. Thanks!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 03:26:36 pm »

Yes, that one. It's mostly because I only ever use to make one calculation at a time, so I get that waiting period for every calculation.