Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Wardens of Teros  (Read 10937 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wardens of Teros
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2015, 10:27:36 pm »

I finally finished a simple custom multiplayer lobby that allows the host to set who controls the demon, starts the game when all the players have indicated that they're ready, and then allows the Wardens to choose which class and the demon to choose which form to spawn. In addition, Warden health and attacks both work, with a generic class that lets the players throw fireballs and place down wards. Both the fireballs and the wards are customizable for the individual Warden classes, and the generic WardenMagic class will be extended to accommodate the character-specific abilities, such as the Vindicator's lasso or the Seer's darkvision.

Next up is putting a placeholder model and animations in for the Wardens, putting together a basic UI, and making sure the movement, magic, and menus all feel good to use, along with replacing the programmer graphics that are currently in place for the altars and particle effects.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 12:24:40 am »

The basic Warden UI is done, along with the escape menu (which lets players disconnect, change settings (...except that their aren't settings yet, making this a placeholder), and return to the server lobby). The UI includes health, stamina, casting, and ward-placing meters, as well as a compass that directs the player to his or her ward (if they have a ward placed). I've also taken the liberty of replacing the fireball attack with an actually decent particle effect, which will work until graphics come back into focus. The fireballs now explode on contact, making it more apparent when they collide with something.

See that dial at the bottom of the screen that's pointing to the blank cube (a placeholder for the actual ward models)? That's the ward compass. Let me talk at you about that for a second, because I'm really happy with how it turned out.

It is probably the most spit,-gum,-and-prayers part of this game, but it works perfectly. To avoid having to do any complicated math, the UI object positions itself at the player, orients itself towards the ward's position, positions itself back at the correct spot to be rendered as part of the GUI, flattens the X and Z rotations to 0, adds the player's Y rotation, then switches the Y and Z axes.

Is there a simpler way to do that? Probably. Does this method work? Definitely.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2015, 07:46:02 pm »

All four of the Warden wards are working now (shield, explosive, blind, and slow) and have placeholder models. You can see a blind ward glowing on the back wall of that barn thingy in the picture. The next item on the agenda is adding the other class-specific abilities (lasso for the Vindicator, darkvision for the Seer) and then a quick round of basic polishing for movement and magic, which in this case is less 'polishing' and more 'de-crapifying'.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2015, 09:41:02 am »

Nicely done sir; putting my game-project-thing to shame.  I am impressed.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2015, 04:32:36 pm »

I am not really one for multiplayer games, but I think I will try this when I get the chance.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 11:38:20 pm »

The Vindicator's lasso is pretty much complete. It now has a mana bar that prevents lassos from being created if you're under 50% mana in an attempt to avert the problem of the Tank latching onto the demon and pulling it to and fro all willy-nilly-like. So, yeah. Controls, UI, particles, actual effects. Checked off the list for now. Next up is darkvision. I discovered an interesting feature of Unity's Shuriken particle system that allows particles to be spawned at distance intervals rather than time intervals, which could be useful for making sure trails are actually visible and consistent. We'll see how it turns out soon enough.

Nicely done sir; putting my game-project-thing to shame.  I am impressed.

Thanks! Don't feel like your project is put to shame, though. I've been at this project a really long time, so it kinda looks like it's fast-forwarding right now.

I am not really one for multiplayer games, but I think I will try this when I get the chance.

I don't know when a demo will be out, but I can say with certainty that a demo will be out at some point in the future!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 04:09:20 pm »

Darkvision and movement trails are working. When the Seer activates his darkvision, the screen goes completely black for a couple seconds, making it risky to activate if the monster is nearby. The trails (which would be used by the Seer and Hound to track other players) are created with Unity's Trail Renderer component. I tested out using particle systems instead, but they ended up being too resource-intensive.

I'll probably work on demon forms after this, starting with the Hound, then the Banshee, then the spider-monster thing discussed earlier in the thread.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2016, 11:00:22 pm »

The forum software has informed me that this topic has not been posted on in over 120 days. Apparently I've been slacking somewhat. Nevertheless, I finally stopped being useless and started working again.

The first map I had planned was a section of the city of Ancipes, which is finally underway. I decided on using a location called the Quarry District: after the death of the leader of a cult dedicated to a particularly violent spirit, the district was evacuated and quarantined until the Wardens could be called in to deal with the lingering entity.

The map has been entirely blocked out with primitives, and I'm currently going through bit-by-bit and filling in details. It was interesting carving this map into the terrain - there's a 50 meter difference in height between the northern end and the southern end, which makes freerunning a lot easier in one direction over the other. I've decided to use very, very simple graphics for now and instead focus on the bare minimum of what's necessary to make the game technically playable, even though it may not be particularly striking at first.

With that in mind, I've also created a new placeholder model for the Wardens using the new rigging techniques I've learned between the creation of the last character models and now. Placeholder animations are in-progress: walk cycles are finished, running is almost complete, sneaking is barely started, and climb animations are complete. Speaking of climbing...

Freerunning has been significantly debugged and animations have been implemented. Your character now actually appears (more or less) to climb walls rather than zooming to the top of them and then momentarily freezing in place. The animations are still rough, and, although I would like to implement IK hands (so that the Wardens' hands actually make contact with the surface they're climbing) I'm not even gonna take a shot at that until the game is playable.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 11:09:46 pm »

Freerunning
wait what

Sort of, but it's the closest term I've got. The Wardens can now climb up on top of low walls and crates and sheds and such, which, combined with jumping, lets them get places in rather unorthodox ways. They can't shimmy along ledges or climb up extrusions in walls or swing from ropes or anything, though.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:11:20 pm by Araph »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2016, 11:30:13 pm »

Yet. :D
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 11:31:52 pm »

Exciting

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2016, 05:46:03 pm »

Freerun PC Demo

I finally added in a jump animation and finished hooking up the run animations and a crouch idle animation (no sneak-walking animations yet). If you want to try the freerunning system, there's a single-player demo at the link above this. I'm not entirely satisfied with the movement system, and I have a couple of ideas to overhaul it once the rest of the game is farther along, but I think it's good for now. The mouse is visible for now because Unity 5 deprecated Screen.showCursor and Screen.lockCursor, and their replacements (Cursor.visible and Cursor.lockState) are glitching out. I'll figure out a workaround soon enough, but for now I recommend going fullscreen to avoid clicking out of the game on accident.

WASD to move.
Mouse to look around.
Shift to sprint.
Control to toggle sneaking.
Tap space to climb, hold and release space to jump.
Escape to exit.

Remember that you can grab ledges in midair! See what rooftops you can get to and what walls you can parkour over.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2016, 05:57:06 pm »

Thoughts:
Walking is really slow. Speed it up a bit for the demo?
It can be a bit hard to tell what you can climb, and what you can't.
Also, first person platforming is hard. (This one's mostly on me.)
Overall, it's a nice proof of concept.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2016, 06:01:55 pm »

Wait, its not dead? I thought it was dead... Huzzuh for its undeath!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5