Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Wardens of Teros  (Read 10943 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wardens of Teros
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 08:07:12 pm »

Thoughts:
Walking is really slow. Speed it up a bit for the demo?
It can be a bit hard to tell what you can climb, and what you can't.

I tried to keep walking at a decent pace without the animation looking ridiculous, but I'll see about bumping the speed up a bit more. I'll also add a 'can I climb what's in front of me' indicator to the UI now that I've integrated the animations in with the actual Warden prefabs. The whole system's still rough, but it'll get there eventually.

Wait, its not dead? I thought it was dead... Huzzuh for its undeath!

No matter how many times I kill it, it refuses to stay dead. :P

Quote from: Me, thirty seconds ago
now that I've integrated the animations in with the actual Warden prefabs

Progress report: the new models and animations have been applied to the three Warden prefabs and the Quarry District map has been network-enabled. At this point, players can create (or join) a server, choose one of the classes and use their abilities, gallivant about the district, and destroy altars. After cleaning up the last major issues, I might finally actually get to work on the demon's forms.

Finally, my Tumblr has basically turned into a game development blog. Check it out if you're into that sort of thing.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 10:18:05 pm »

Soon I will slay! Humans!
or not?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2016, 08:21:56 pm »

The Hound is now almost fully functional, though it still lacks a model. Baying Sigils have been added in (aside from the sounds, since the game doesn't actually have ANY sound at the moment) along with a UI to show what exactly the player is targeting. When incarnating, the Hound's speed increases significantly, but it loses the ability to scale walls and leap gaps. To compensate, it can teleport directly to the sigils it places during the preparation phase - even sigils placed off the ground and in hard-to-reach places, allowing a clever demon player to surprise the Wardens by suddenly appearing on the same rooftops as them.

When activated, the sigils erupt in a cacaphonic storm of barking and howling that echoes across the map, alerting the Wardens that the demon just teleported. However, the demon can also activate the sigils without teleporting, making them a useful tool for tricking the other players.

Next objective: creating a placeholder model for the Hound.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2016, 06:33:13 pm »

Placeholder's comin' along, and by that I mean that I'm partway through rigging the model. Unfortunately, my brain is a bit animation-fried from the past week's project. I'm gonna have to bounce back and forth between debugging and animating for a while.

The differences between creating a human and creating a canine are interesting, though. I'd spent some time in the past learning how to draw dogs, so it wasn't too bad of a transition, but it took a false-start or two before the model turned into something actually resembling a dog. While the placeholder is based off of a German Shepherd, the actual model isn't nearly as intimidating as I would like the final version to be. On the other hand, I also thought it'd be better to start with an aesthetic that I actually have reference images for rather than immediately try to make it look like an eldritch horror stuffed into a dog-shaped vessel. We'll just have to see how it turns out with animations and sound for now and then improve it later on.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2016, 06:49:25 pm »

While the placeholder is based off of a German Shepherd, the actual model isn't nearly as intimidating as I would like the final version to be. On the other hand, I also thought it'd be better to start with an aesthetic that I actually have reference images for rather than immediately try to make it look like an eldritch horror stuffed into a dog-shaped vessel. We'll just have to see how it turns out with animations and sound for now and then improve it later on.
Maybe subtly change small things, give it that uncanny valley feel.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2016, 12:12:39 am »

Yeah. If you lengthened the tail and muzzle, built out the chest a bit, and gave it some raised hackles, it'd be a lot scarier.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2016, 12:15:46 am »

Or just make it a normal dog, but instead of a texture, it's a window to the void. :P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2016, 12:46:43 am »

Some glowing red eyes would go a long way, especially with a "window Ito the void" fur color like Egan suggested. Perhaps it could be partially bald, to get that nasty "junkyard dog" look.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2016, 09:47:15 pm »

A thing I've noticed about the 'scary-dog' type is that a good method is to increase the forelegs and shoulders a noticeable amount such that the head hangs down, along with rough and raised hair (obviously not in early models, but a thing to think about).

Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2016, 02:57:23 pm »

I finally got off of my metaphorical butt and finished rigging the placeholder. While working on the animations, I'll try tweaking parts of the model to follow your suggestions. I'm also planning on starting painting concepts of characters and scenes again, so we'll hopefully see what'll end up sticking for the final version.

I also updated from Unity 5.0 to Unity 5.3 so that I could use a new network function, which led to a fresh crop of errors and bugs. I've sorted out most of them, but the server lobby is still being a pain in the ass. Ideally I'll have the rest of those fixed by the end of today.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2016, 03:44:59 pm »

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the placeholder models: stuff goes thru several iterations anyway, and you still have the actual game itself to work on (plus you may want some time to decide on a final art style anyway before you do full models)
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2016, 06:19:28 am »

I think the flews should be pulled further back. As it is now, the dog's mouth looks kind of cute instead of imposing. As if it's smiling.
Taste my Paci-Fist

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2016, 12:01:29 pm »

Making them almost furless is a common way to add creepiness to dogs.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2016, 06:30:08 pm »

How to connect to servers?

Are you using the old version off of IndieDB? Use Connect to Server -> Private Server and then enter the host's IP address.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2016, 05:06:26 pm »

You can host a server by selecting Create Server > Private Server. From there, your friend can connect via your IP address (you can find your IP address by typing 'what's my IP' into Google). One thing I would recommend is to not try to run a server over wifi, as that would require you to set up port forwarding. Instead, hook your computer directly up to your router (or just disconnect your router and use that ethernet cable, if nobody else is using the network at the time).

As for where new version: nowhere, at the moment. It's still unplayable until the Hound's model gets added in and the game undergoes another wave of testing and bugfixing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5