Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Wardens of Teros  (Read 10933 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wardens of Teros
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2016, 06:46:01 pm »

Recently I've started to work on graphical improvements purely because I'm tired of only using untextured placeholder models. Should I hold off on this until after the game is playable? Probably. Does it really matter? Probably not.

I'm not exactly stellar at sculpting, and I'm even more meh at sculpting wooden structures, so there's an odd blend amongst the wooden objects so far. The door, the crates, and this barrel are all made using different techniques as I try to figure out what works best. My plan is to ignore the objects that I'm not satisfied with until most of the rest are done, then gradually go back and redo the worst ones when the project is farther along.

As you can see from the first picture, there's still a long way to go. The buildings use a tilable stone block texture that I made, but the models themselves are still generic cubes. I'm gonna have to try some stuff to figure out how they'll work. I think I can make there be one generic wall, then have a sculpted pillar to act as corners (which would allow a variety of buildings to be constructed with a limited number of objects while leaving empty space inside for players to enter). We'll see how it goes. After the buildings, shed/overhang thing (that the door is embedded in), and the bridge that is partially visible at the top of the screen are done, it'll be back to animating characters and bugfixing.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2016, 01:15:19 am »

Actually looks quite nice.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2016, 03:25:23 pm »

Hey, as I've learned in software development: As long as you've got plenty of progress to be made, make progress where you'll personally get the most enjoyment out of it (or at least the least frustration/fury). Plenty of things need implemented, so you might as well make it pretty so you can look at the pretty stuff while you work out other kinks. You're too hard on yourself too; this stuff looks pretty damn good. (At least from a software guy's perspective. Modellers may have a different perspective, but alas, I cannot asses that.)
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2016, 11:31:07 pm »

Actually looks quite nice.
You're too hard on yourself too; this stuff looks pretty damn good. (At least from a software guy's perspective. Modellers may have a different perspective, but alas, I cannot asses that.)

Thanks! While I'm not exactly satisfied with the game's current graphical state, it's an improvement over the previous version and I'm learnin'. Counts as a success to me.

Also, progress. In addition to the big door-framing-shed-thing, I've been playing around with detail maps. Unity has a feature that allows you to layer a tiled normal map over the object at a small scale, adding detail when players get up close to the scenery.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In other news, I got a job as a web developer a few weeks ago, so that's been keeping me a bit occupied. Now that things have fallen into a manageable routine, I'm gonna try to gradually increase the amount of time I spend working on Warden in the near future.

EDIT: A post I made about modelling game assets hit the front page of Imgur, which was neat to see.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:38:06 pm by Araph »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]