Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: So...XCOM D20 5th edition (Sad Trombone)  (Read 9155 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Bump?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

I was distracted by vampires...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Disregard vampires, acquire casualties

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So...XCOM D20 5th edition (Taking players for system test! 3/4 accepted)
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2015, 11:10:28 am »

Okaaaay, so by running this I mostly found out the basic XCOM experience does not translate well into a forum game for me. It's very tedious to translate the TU costs, mostly. Also, the whole sneak up, overwatch, end turn thing is obviously not very fun. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking...

Thanks for your time. :P

Edit: Also, this doesn't mean I've given up entirely on the system, just I don't think I can make a very convincing XCOM game out of it. I doubt anyone feels any different.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:12:33 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So...XCOM D20 5th edition (Sad Trombone)
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2015, 11:21:28 am »

Perhaps without the time units could be a little less tedious to calculate?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2015, 11:27:57 am »

Probably. :P

The thing is, I'm terrible at making up game systems, am fail at math hard like-writing has always been my thing, what I actually enjoy. I can't wing all of this. So I figure I have to rely more on the book, rather than trying to make a whole new thing like I have been trying to do. And without the whole tactical battle geoscape thing I had been envisioning, it's not very Xcom to me. I might as well end up making some sort of random mercenary game.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2015, 11:46:52 am »

It'd probably end up with mechanics more like nuCom than oldCom, true, but eh. It could have been the TFTD remake we never got.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2015, 11:48:02 am »

The thing is, I'm terrible at making up game systems, am fail at math hard like-writing has always been my thing, what I actually enjoy.
Why not run a more general SG with this? Tell the story of a team of "Special Forces Dudes" going out to save the earth from a 'misterious alien invasion' (in the vein of 'Space: Above and Beyond' , or better yet, 'Stargate'.) When there's combat, abstract it  into a single (modified) roll and tell the us how stuff turned out (based on the suggestions). After all, combat is supposed to be "Months of boredom punctuated by moments of terror", not " by a thoughtful dicussion of strategy over a cup of tea".
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:51:09 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2015, 11:51:35 am »

The thing is, I'm terrible at making up game systems, am fail at math hard like-writing has always been my thing, what I actually enjoy.
Why not run a more general SG with this? Tell the story of a team of "Special Forces Dudes" going out to save the earth from a 'misterious alien invasion' (in the vein of 'Space: Above and Beyond' , or better yet, 'Stargate'.) When there's combat, abstract it  into a single (modified) roll and tell the story of how stuff turned out.

I liked both those series...

I've always wondered, would people actually want to play a game like that? From my own experience, there are few people on this forum that could actually sustain a pure role-playing game, with no math, no maps, no exp, loot gain etc. And, while I'd probably enjoy it, I'm not sure about others.

Am I wrong there ?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2015, 11:55:34 am »

Would there be any sort of progression?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2015, 12:05:10 pm »

Well, ideally, I would say run a 5th edition D&D game but handle all the levels and advantages thereof. You would progress, but it instead of 'You guys level up, pick your spells/abilities', it would be me deciding what spells/abilities your character has discovered and telling you-based on your characters personality, and the roleplaying actions they have taken in the game leading up to that level. Like, if a character can be said to have been studying abjuration magic, and was badly burned by a dragons fire, his discoveries will naturally lead him to design a spell that wards off flames and/or energy based attacks. If he has found a new weapon and is training with it, he'll gain eventually gain the ability to use it well.

Tho in the case of magic, I would probably let you be more specific-like giving you a list of things your character can aim for.

What A1s proposes it's a game where I keep nearly all the rolls and character design/development behind the screen, letting roleplaying determine most things. I admit, I like the concept.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2015, 12:40:32 pm »

So everything is hidden from the player? That could be interesting, yeah.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2015, 12:54:51 pm »

Yeah, it would all be in general terms. Let's say you are a Rogue making Lv. 2.

"After the trials of the previous week, you can't help but feel confident-your reflexes are faster and sharper than they have ever been."

In game, you would be gaining cunning action, and I'd be using that to calculate battle and action results.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2015, 02:32:38 pm »

That would be pretty cool.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2015, 03:45:14 pm »

I wonder if I couldn't make a game off this...stuff to think about...

http://intothefarwest.com/

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7