Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley  (Read 47150 times)

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 21: Anomaly Exploration
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 09:11:00 am »

"I could go first. I have the Neural Strengthening genemod - the one specifically designed to make people more resistant to mental attacks. And if the worst scenario happens anyway, I'm one of the weaker amplifier users present."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 11:50:51 am »

Ulrich Leland

"I suppose I can carry the QEC."

The Painsuit design is in Tinker thread. Don't shoot me yet, I'm not going to continue with it until mission is over.

Also suit up and be ready.

Eddie:

"Hey people. It's ghostbusting time, I guess."

Get suited up, check suit to see if software is working okay
The software seems to be completely functional. Lets just hope you can actually use it.

"I suppose I can carry the QEC."
"If conrad is going to be our hackerman, why not have him carry the special camera as well? He's good with electronics from what I've heard."

Both are fine by me, though I'd like to check if anyone else volunteers, just in case.
Also, Pancaek, I recommend that you assign someone in your team to be your second-in-command, like I did - in case you get incapacitated or worse. I trust you judgement, so I left that choice to you.

Oversee the equipment distribution, ensure proper installation of the software and additional cameras, then check the updated data on the planet. Do we have orbital view of the site? Has anything significant happened on that planet, in regards to that anomaly and in general?
The data is the same as last time; no significant change. Orbital view reveals nothing to you, same as always, but the computer tells you that there is something down there, even though it can't tell you exactly what.  Everything looks to be ready.

Stand there looking intimidating.
Very intimidating.

You do your best to look frightening.

"Hmm? Oh, right. Yo, Konrad, you seem like a good kid. If I were to die, you get command of team II."
"Understood sir. I am proficient with electronics and will happily take the 3D camera. Although I am having difficulty understanding this image-dependent invisibility, how do you define "image"? for example, is it an image in the mind or a specific pattern of electromagnetic radiation if so then could we use non-electromagnetic sensors such as radar and ultrasonic to distance map rooms? Furthermore if the feed is incorrect why have it or is it the difference between having a bad map and no map?"
Accept 3D cameras, ask questions. Begin setup of "mad hatter", read any available documentation
You get the cameras affixed and set up.

When you're ready Maurice, just head to the drop shuttle.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 09:10:05 pm »

Board shuttle. If we arrive on-site at the end of this turn, quickly scan anomalous area with my CamEyes.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 03:07:49 pm by swordsmith04 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 09:52:25 pm »

Gather my gear and get into the drop shuttle.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 10:58:15 pm »

"Simple. I have a suit that allows me to exit this dimension, and enter another, severing all ties with it. Any attempt at mind control can be negated by activating the suit, whereas you have to either fight them off, or we have to kill you or whatever is controlling you. Also, if I have enough power to wipe the floor with you when I'm mind controlled, what makes you think I can't do that now and still go first?"

Get to the drop pod!
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 06:28:12 am »

"Hey boss, I think everyone's set up allright. What do you say we get going?"

Wait by drop pods, keep an eye on our fine troopers. If Maurice gives the go ahead, enter drop pods with team.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2015, 07:13:10 am »

Loiter around drop pods.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 02:57:39 pm »

Good, now let's get down to the ground. Oh, and yes, Ulrich, you shall carry the QEC unit then since you are the only one to volunteer. Not that you aren't be one of the few most suitable people for this task, given your Mk III and Auxiliary training.

We'll see who goes in when we get there. If it comes to that, Pancaek and I are the most resistant to mind influence among us all; but just as easily as mental hazards we might encounter physical ones - or, worse enough, sentient and armed hazards. That is unlikely, but still possible.

One last note to the less experienced troopers: Those poles, bolts and other "assorted crap" of personal mission equipment that was given to each of you is there for a reason. For example, if you value your limbs, don't poke uncertain alien trickery with your own finger; first do so with a stick or even by throwing something light and small at it - a bolt, a nut - from safe distance. This is HMRing 101.
The 'Corps legacy lives on.

Get the teams into the drop shuttle. We are landing just outside the anomaly boundary, somewhere along that paved road leading to "nowhere"; in any way, just in case, do not cross the airspace immediately above the estimated anomaly zone, take wide berth to be sure.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2015, 03:11:46 pm »

Ulrich Leland

"Ok then."

Grab the QEC unit and get ready for landing.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 11:10:19 am »

Good, now let's get down to the ground. Oh, and yes, Ulrich, you shall carry the QEC unit then since you are the only one to volunteer. Not that you aren't be one of the few most suitable people for this task, given your Mk III and Auxiliary training.

We'll see who goes in when we get there. If it comes to that, Pancaek and I are the most resistant to mind influence among us all; but just as easily as mental hazards we might encounter physical ones - or, worse enough, sentient and armed hazards. That is unlikely, but still possible.

One last note to the less experienced troopers: Those poles, bolts and other "assorted crap" of personal mission equipment that was given to each of you is there for a reason. For example, if you value your limbs, don't poke uncertain alien trickery with your own finger; first do so with a stick or even by throwing something light and small at it - a bolt, a nut - from safe distance. This is HMRing 101.
The 'Corps legacy lives on.

Get the teams into the drop shuttle. We are landing just outside the anomaly boundary, somewhere along that paved road leading to "nowhere"; in any way, just in case, do not cross the airspace immediately above the estimated anomaly zone, take wide berth to be sure.

The shuttle off from this sister ship is different then what you're used to, smaller and clearly newer in design then the surplus military dropships the sword uses. The interior actually has padding! As though they want to preserve the lives of the people on board, rather then leveraging the cost of a few feet of foam against the value of a few lives and finding the former too expensive. The basic design, however, is effectively unchanged and the 5 point harnesses and bucket seats are comfortably familiar. The ride down is short and uneventful, and the shuttle lands some distance from the perceived edge of the anomaly, in the middle of the vestigial road. The road itself, as well as most of the countryside around it, is blanketed in heavy snow at least a foot deep, though the shuttle landing melted a nice circular area and revealed the black top below. Though the road itself is unseen, its path is still easy to follow thanks to the fact that is bordered on either side by great walls of dappled blue, tree like structures. Alien foliage no doubt; but native to this world, not the creeping influence of whatever it is you're here to investigate. When you look out in the direction the anomaly should be, you don't see anything, but you get a rather strange feeling. It's hard to look in that direction, you feel the urge to look away for some reason.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 12:25:03 pm »

Ulrich Leland

Feels unpleasant...

Turn my back to the anomaly. Does the urge to look elsewhere go away? Raise up the faceplate and try looking the anomaly with all cameye vision modes as well as MK III camera modes. Does the urge to look elsewhere exist on every mode?

After done turn on the Mad Hatter with minimal setting. See if anything changes. Also follow Maurice.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:48:20 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 12:52:27 pm »

Good.

From now on we are in hostile territory; as you see and feel, signs of mind-influence are imminent. Be on your guard, and keep your will firm about the reality; mere tricks cannot deceive a determined mind. Faceplates down - those who have faceplates and organic vision - and turn on Mad Hatter: at minimal data feed corruption setting for now, but you are free to test higher levels as long as it does not hamper your actions.

Morul, we take point. You keep switching regularly between medium setting Mad Hatter-assisted and unassisted vision, to check if it's of any help, and I'll try to see how far one can get with just plain eyes. Tell me when we reach the boundary, the end of the road should be marked on the map in Mad Hatter.

Pancaek, take rear guard - see that none are swayed from the path. I trust that you have more than enough experience to deal with troopers stepping out of line, possessed or not.
Maurice chuckled.
You know what to do if one - especially Morul or me walking out there closest - loses it.

All right, move out!
Faceplate up, onwards!
"I am a forest, and a night of dark trees: but he who is not afraid of my darkness, will find banks full of roses under my cypresses." ... I miss those days, Simus.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 03:59:43 pm »

"Right, you heard the man, I've got point. Buddy up and follow me. Please keep your hands and arms inside the ride at all times, lest you lose them."

Make sure everyone but me and Pancaek have a buddy, and their faceplates are down if they have them. Then turn towards the anomaly, and activate Mad Hatter, and crank it up to medium. Stop anyone trying to enter the anomaly, with the minimum force required, and non-lethally.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:59:20 pm by kisame12794 »
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 04:04:43 pm »

"Roger that. I'll hang back and kick anyone who strays off back to the group."

Follow the group from the back, make sure nobody strays from the path. If they do, drag them back to the group. Cycle cameye modes from time to time when looking at the anomaly. Switch on mad hatter on a low setting.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 05:11:50 pm »

"Gotcha, boss."
Put down faceplate, turn on Mad Hatter, and off we go.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33