Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Introducing the Triffid (Erm...Chiddrin)  (Read 2081 times)

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
Introducing the Triffid (Erm...Chiddrin)
« on: July 18, 2015, 06:55:28 am »

Chiddrin playable race WIP

The Chiddrin are a bi-product of my work on the triffid, and actually will be involved with triffid's, eventually. Right now, I am focusing on developing the gameplay basics of the Chiddrin. This was intended to be a training project, to teach me the ropes of more advanced modding.

Gameplay:
Bio-Chemistry- I've always been facinated with Hive insects, but I hated how sci-fi always gives them a single mind. Ant's don't operate as a single individual through 'magic' but incredibly complicated pheromones. In my uneducated mind, this process is a super simple form of Chemistry, and I posed the question, what if it was given a boost?

Enter the Chiddrin, they will start out something like ants, but eventually be more like the Tyranid, although more 'realistic'.

Tier system:
T0 (Working title: Devolved) - Devolved Chiddrin will be incredibly basic gameplay. Only two weapons will be available (digging tool and chopping tool), and I would get rid of them, if I had an easy way to, but I may do it someday.

Hatchery- Where Chiddrin 'eggs' will be hatched (gems, not actual eggs)

Accidental Spill Workshop (ASW) - This is the supposed 'trigger' that starts the Chiddrin down their biological enhancement project. In order to unlock a later tier of Chiddrin evolution, you will need to take eggs here to 'accidentally' get dosed with a mystery substance (no acutal substance). A great many eggs will be sacrificed for every Chiddrin jump in evolution.

Castes -
Worker- Small, works, and dies. Useable fodder in a pinch. Fifteen of em CAN kill five unarmored dwaves, barely.
Soldier- Much bigger, and will have a talent for fighting (eventually), but will be harder to get a large population. Useless for work.
Chemist- Later Chemists are going to be more like an entire chemical factory, early ones will have a nack for in, and some intelligence.
Queen- DURP!

T1 - This caste will be focused in on slowly establishing the long-term research and industrial workshops

Caste Genome Workshop - There will be four of these, each one will focus on one of the four basic castes. Long term results aren't exactly certain. Soldiers will branch into range and melee. Chemists to producers and researchers? Workers and Queens, I don't really know yet. At the least the next tier will be unlocked through research here.

Plastic Generator - The Plastic Generator isn't really a necessary workshop, as the chemist will produce a 'thickening goo' or maybe 'strange goo' that will be an 'early' plastic. Eventually, they will be able to produce advanced polymers.

Plastic Shaper - A place to shape the plastic into a usable form (worker run probably)

Initially these will be far from efficient, running a large efficiency. Later in the game, the will be super efficient.

T2- This stage is going to focus on developing the industry and refining technology, atm. I want to add more, but haven't figured out what to implement

T3-Queen becomes available around this point, Produces level appropriate eggs.

T4- Triffid's or something like them will start spawning. Around this point, your tech will have an equal or greater chance of generating hostile 'mutations' than succeeding. Some few, may spawn inside the fort, but most will settle in for a 'fun' siege.

T5- Soft cap. After this, I don't expect/require any progression. A full geared warrior will be almost competitive with a steel clad dwarf. But, in contrast you will have a massive military force to draw on. Added to that the expendable nature of the lower tiers, still available to draw on, and you should never have problems defending. Crude rifles around here?

T6- Reaching this will be brutal, primarily due to the 'muatations', but it will unlock the T6 QUEEN! So another breathing room point. I expect people to reach this point, but seriously reconsider reaching T7

T7-

T8-

T9- Queen unlock? Maybe too close to T10, but I do want something at this end, maybe it will be incredibly difficult to unlock the T9 Queen AFTER you have already reached T10

T10 (Legendary or Masterful?) - Red makes it go FASTA! This is the ultimate developement. In my universe, you have far exceeded the capacity of those feeble Tyranid in every way. Chiddrin will probably never use melee at this stage. No silly organic weapons, just chem fueled machine guns, Auto Cannons, explosive shells, etc. Supported and maintained by an entire hive of thousands of tireless workers and soldiers. Oh, and you will be Tyranid sized. Hard Cap. This will also make even T0 Chiddrin incredibly deadly in combat. A realistic hive is more like the Imperial Guard blended with Tyranid. Fear the Chiddrin.

Goal:

At T5, you should have a large storehouse of T0-T2 eggs, you wont get rid of them as they will still be equipable with better and better gear. 50 steel clad gnomes is better than one steel clad dwarf, yes? I also want to conserve workers.

Most of your high level eggs will not be used to produce citizens, but to develope advanced technology. Something like this will 'hopefully' happen:

Pop ratio:
500 T0's
400 T1's
250 T2's
150 T3's
100 T4's
80 T5's
50 T6's
30 T7's
15 T8's
5 T9's
1 T10's

Keep in mind that this is not a forced population curve, but what I am aiming for when you are trying to progress your technology. A lot of eggs will be experimented on in order to unlock the secrets of the next tier, and I want the cost to only go up!

I will have succeded if 90% of the players give up progressing through the tiers around T4. They will eventually progress further down, given enough time. But the unlocking of the T3 Queen will give them a chance to 'catch' their breathe, and spend time restructuring the population. As T3 will be the first 'stopping point' when it comes to improving your eggs. However, this will also 'hopefully' kill their tech development momentum, and the added difficulties created by mutations should eat up most of your resources. Reaching T6 should give players the feeling of having WON the game, but the existence of T10 should motivate a fort to last longer than 10 years.

I actually have most of this all mapped out, unfortunately this is a summary of everything. Pretty big summary. My first goal is to get T0-T2 functional. It won't be challenging, but is easily within my scope as a DF modder. That was my intended goal for this 'practice' project, but I quickly realized the similarities between my practice Triffid race and my short story Chiddrin race. This feels freaking awesome, and hopefully the community will enjoy it.

Thanks already go to:
Expwnent - He, personally, has been a superstar when it comes to scripting. I didn't know this before, but scripting is a big community effort. I don't know the list of everyone involved in the scripting process, but thanks guys!
Meph - I can't play without Masterwork, even on DF2014! So that means my project is kind of intwined with it. I came up with many of my original ideas studying his Necromancer race.
Toady - I recently taught myself programming, thinking 'I can do what Toady did'; boy was I wrong. A true master of programming, I think. His engine alone should be worth a lot of money, mutch less the game. Please support Dwarf Fortress!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:12:17 am by taldarus »

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing the Triffid (Erm...Chiddrin)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 02:00:27 am »

Questions:
Lifespan - How long? I am wondering if a year is a good choice for workers/soldeirs. Queens will be 10-20 years I think (That is upwards of several thousand eggs for just one queen)
Natural Skills - I am planning on workers and chemists unlocking progressively better natural skills the further down the tech tree. Queens and Soldiers present two odd problems. Queens, I just figured out. Soldiers driving force in combat superiority is their size. Skills are far less important. What I am wondering is this. I want all Tiers to be useful through the course of the game, should the smaller warriors have a higher natural skill than the legendary warriors? (Consider)

T0 have level 16 natural skill in dodging, wrestling, biting, etc. skills used in unarmed/unarmored combat. This way they can function, even at end game as a quick and dirty fodder force? Where as, T10 warriors will have low natural skills, but a significant size advantage. What do people think?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:10:44 am by taldarus »

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 02:01:12 am »

Development log:
I now understand scripts and how to use them, I spent a fruitless time trying/waiting for a finished script, but I don't want to wait for ever

Chiddrin race file: 70% completed
Major revision will involved de-emphasizing script dependency. This way I can get a 'working' release out for testing purposes.

Mutations race file: 0%

Materials File: 100% completed
T1 is copper
T6 is steel'ish
T10 is between divine and adamantine

Weapons File: 5% complete
-Need to create four sets of 'sized' weapons

Armor File: 5% complete
-Need to create four sets of 'sized' armor

Workshops: 40% complete
-Need to revise the workshops completely. Going to focus on organizing the workshops out. Not balance them. First release will have 100% free reactions, but everything in place. Balance will follow based off player input.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:14:20 am by taldarus »

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 04:39:25 am »

I think natural skills should be more of a tech thing, as you go up the chain the fodder guys get more skilled, to simulate the shared knowledge and skill of the tribe. I don't think the bigger guys should be less skilled than the smaller ones, just that the smaller ones should scale in scale as your force grows.

Also, did you consider natural weapons? You talk about materials, I am assuming you mean body part materials and not actual wielded weapons. This kind of sounds like a xenomorph project to be honest, I really would like to see something similar to the succubus mod, where you can convert certain races to your race, and they carry over similar traits from their parent race. Such a thing would be great for a xenomorph focused mod, but I digress..

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 09:54:43 am »

..smaller ones should scale in scale..
..you consider natural weapons...
...xenomorph project...

Scale in scale? I think you mean, retain usefulness through numbers? If so, yes.

Natural weapons? Didn't consider, don't plan on it. I would direct you towards Ender's Game or Starship Troopers. These guys use 'organic' tech in that their bodies, eventually, are able to produce complex chemical compounds. They then can...well...erm... Poop the chemical compounds...

Plastics and polymers will come naturally to this race. They will not GROW armor, but defaecate it. Wow, never spelled that word out before... A new first...

I did up a xenomorph race a long time ago. Never posted it, and lost the data. It was fully functional minus the script for chest bursting. Don't intend to do it again, boring race to play as...

Weapons - None
Armor - None
Industry - None
On top of which, a single xenomorph is roughly equal to two or three steel clad soldiers, and there is pretty much nothing to do, once the novelty wears off. Fun for RP I suppose.

I can point out how to do it all, if you wanted to do it.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 07:11:55 pm »

I meant "Scale in Skill", my bad. Basically they just get more skilled as you get to higher tiers.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 01:11:54 am »

wow this sounds impressive, the best i have done is a race of beholders with beams, caused crashes tho so keep up the good work  8)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 06:20:09 pm »

====Post is OOD====

Most of it is very simple to do, but it is being held up primarily due to two reasons:
1- Script - I may try to take a swing at fixing this myself, but not sure about how to yet
2- Egglaying - Having trouble with egg laying mechanic, I have several ideas about whats wrong, but I just have been super busy IRL. Should have some free time next month, but this months free time is eaten up by bureaucracy

====OOD====

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:03:39 am by taldarus »

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 07:01:57 am »

Currently working on weapon/armor sizes relative to the creature. I see four distinct groupings.
T0-  10,000
T1-  25,000 ***Small
T2-  40,000
T3-  50,000
T4-  65,000 ***Medium
T5-  90,000
T6- 100,000
T7- 115,000***Large
T8- 130,000
T9- 140,000
T10-200,000***Huge

Would this be enough for weapons? I think it would work.
But for armor? (Armor is confusing IMO)

Most importantly, what size should I make the weapons themselves? Is there a handy reference for that? Didn't see anything on wiki or forum.

EG - A weapon min creature size is 10,000. Two handed size is 30,000. What should a sword/axe/hammer/spears volume look like?

50,000 defaults to a 100cm default weapon size, but that is hardly helpful IMO. Did I miss something in my search?