Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: StellarEngine - A Roguelike Engine that uses Gamemaker2  (Read 2027 times)

RamaBlackadder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
StellarEngine - A Roguelike Engine that uses Gamemaker2
« on: February 06, 2017, 07:25:59 am »

DISCLAIMER - I've been in this community a while, I just lost my account info including the email. So I'm not exactly an escaped lunatic!

Look here, I made a game engine for making roguelikes and other ASCII games. You need GameMaker2, but otherwise it is free to use and Open Source.

https://github.com/Ramaraunt/StellarEngine

Tell me what you think! I'm looking to add more stuff to it in the future.

EDIT:1.1 released! Mouse position detection scripts added!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:15:42 am by RamaBlackadder »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MOVED]
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:07:39 am »

You need to "move" this thread to creative projects. Make sure to uncheck the "leave a copy" thing in the lower left. Curses board is for the older bay12-made games, not new games.

(well it could in theory be for your game that *uses* curses.lib, but definitely not gameMaker)

RamaBlackadder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [MOVED]
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 11:15:24 am »

I apologize for that! Anyways, I just finished adding a "subsurface" system, where it is now possible to make rooms that are larger than what you can fit on the screen, and pan around in them!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: StellarEngine - A Roguelike Engine that uses Gamemaker2
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 11:34:40 am »

Would love to see some screenshots and/or tutorials. It looks very nice
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:12:26 pm by forsaken1111 »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 01:43:48 pm »

I am extremely interested in this. Do you have a quick and dirty tutorial for using this as a base to make actual games with?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 02:31:40 pm »

I feel like the utility value of this for most (or at least some) people on here might be a bit limited due to the closed-source, proprietary, and commercial (and not really the cheapest either) nature of GM, and with GameMaker 2 still being in beta.

I'm not saying this isn't cool but being a GM2 project is...well, not the greatest. (For me especially since the GM2 IDE itself only runs on Windows. I'm assuming most people on here use Windows but that's still a PITA.)
(Not to mention that GML itself might be slightly limiting as well.)

I know I might come off as some kinda salty software purist who isn't really contributing to this thread very much, and I'm not really trying to come off as "you picked the wrong engine bud", I'm not telling you to port this to C++ or something, but... The potential audience here is much slimmer than it would be if this was a project built on top of something more open, even if iby itself you do distribute it for free.

* Maks shrugs and leaves

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:28:55 pm »

What Maks, said. A roguelike engine is something I have been looking for a long time, but GM 2 is damn expensive, at least too expensive for me. *looks at his tiny piggy bank where he stores all his left savings*.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.