Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When did the Seed Mechanic Change?  (Read 813 times)

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When did the Seed Mechanic Change?
« on: July 19, 2015, 02:18:40 am »

I have an old world in DF 0.31 I want to recreate in DF 0.40. But the seed no longer generates the same world. Does anyone know how to go about creating the same terrain and, maybe, history of an old 0.31 world?

Thank you! Here's why by the way. I already have my reference map made, and it was a bit of work to put together.

Playing since 2007

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: When did the Seed Mechanic Change?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 02:59:42 am »

The reason seeds no longer create the same worlds is because of the butterfly effect or something. You'll most likely have to use PerfectWorld to recreate the terrain, though the cities and history won't be the same.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:49:03 am »

The reason seeds no longer create the same worlds is because of the butterfly effect or something. You'll most likely have to use PerfectWorld to recreate the terrain, though the cities and history won't be the same.

In that case, is there any way to make world files compatible with the new version? Or am I completely out of luck?
Playing since 2007

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 12:31:12 pm »

Your v34 files won't work with the current version, no.

edit: v31, I mean.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"