Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Terrapin Tales  (Read 3585 times)

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Terrapin Tales
« on: July 19, 2015, 09:09:07 pm »

Will accept Dorfings in fort mode, and maybe in adventure mode if you wish to die a horrible death.

Currently running the fort: Bouldertome

EDIT: Welp, I thought I was going to have a fruitful life of adventure. Instead I died while writing up part two.  I suppose this will be for multiple adventurers.

erith Silverbears is my name, and it is the 15th of Granite in the Year 250.  I’ve grown bored of Pricedarmor, the Hillocks where I live.  Grabbing a bismuth bronze axe, I shall set out to make a name for myself.  Unfortunately Kumil, the mayor, states that the only problems we are facing are a group of bandits and criminals.  I’m not exactly sure how they differ, but they are both out of my league at the moment.  Before I leave I’m opting for backup.

Unfortunately for me, almost no one wants to come with me.  I asked everyone in the civic mound, the castle mound and two drinking mounds.  All they seem to talk about is a new expedition leader, Urdim.  I don’t know who he is, and I don’t care!  I am literally stopped in the streets to be told ‘Urdim Wheelsace became expedition leader of the…’ I KNOW.  EVERYONE’S TOLD ME ALREADY, SO SHUT UP.

Back to looking for companions.  As a lark I decided to ask the Baron’s Consort to join me.  Atis said yes.  I quickly started looking for additional companions before the Baron got the wrong idea.  A drunk commented that if she vanquished creatures, it would bring much glory.  I figured he would like to come along, and that is how Kogan joined me.  With a Baroness and Drunk in tow, I tried to bring along someone who could help me fight, but two was too many to get the marksdwarf to join.  At least they’ll keep the bogeymen away.

I head north to the beaches.  I think we should train ourselves on something relatively harmless, like driftwood or a clump of seaweed.  Night falls during our journey, and Atis begins telling horror stories.
Spoiler: Beaches (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Night Stories (click to show/hide)

We aren’t slain during the night, so that counts for something.

Reaching the beaches, I hack at an owl, leaving it wounded.  Kogan seems to quite confident, though I suspect if he believes owls to be the face of death, we’ll be having trouble down the road.  Nonetheless, Kogan punches the creature in the head, slaying it.
Spoiler: "Death to Owls!" (click to show/hide)
Coming across another owl, I plan on sneaking up on it to cripple it for my companions.  Without warning, Atis shoots it with her crossbow.  Huh.  I guess I should have paid more attention to what she had with her.  I should make sure that I keep her stocked on bolts.  Speaking of which when I talked to her to return some of her bolts, she hoped some of my friends could dissuade me from this foolishness.  The Baron must be some dwarf to put up with her.

We encountered some Rhinoceroses, one of whom I slew, and Kogan wandered off to brutally pummel a monitor lizard until he overexerted himself.  Perhaps these two are cut out for adventuring.  We’ll head south after I fill up my waterskin.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:35:16 pm by 10terrapin01 »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrapin Tales
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:01:44 pm »

It is now the 17th of Granite and returning to the hillocks, I’ve realized something awful.  We need to go a long, long way.  Dwarves are wasted on cross country, we’re natural sprinters, but this is ridiculous.

On our way we stop at The East Den, a human settlement.  While the gear was too large, I did find some bolts for Atis.  Within a human tells us of Resmi StrengthBlossom.  While the roc has terrorized everyone, it appears to have affected him more than most.  He lost his younger brother, his parents, his maternal grandmother, two uncles and three aunts.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was next.  If we were more skilled, I would lead us to go slay it, but is it is, we spend the night and resume our journey.

Ambush!  As we approach the camp, we’ve run into a patrol!  Unfortunately the hills and trees ruin my visibility.  I can hear the bandits crying in disarray, but I have trouble locating them.  I see a marksdwarf and charge him.  His armor deflecting my attacks, I put my axe away and take it for myself before baking him to bits.  Atis has come to provide some support, but I haven’t seen Kogan since the battle began.  Wait, what’s this?
Spoiler: Troll! (click to show/hide)
A Wicked Troll!  It begins to chase Atis, but soon turns its attention to me.  Newly armored, I feel ready to take on this creature.  We engage for quite awhile, both dodging and blocking, neither gaining ground.  Atis provides covering fire, but has yet to land a hit.  Then, a turning point!
Spoiler: The Tide Shifts (click to show/hide)
I hack the beast’s leg, and in return in strikes my leg.  The battle is now in my favor!  Or so I thought, until the beast threw me across the ground.  With a kick my vision fades as I feel its hands around my throat.  I wonder if Atis and Kogan will make it out alive…
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 02:51:46 am »

ptw
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 04:58:11 pm »

The Tale of Careci Roundstones
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Who am I? Where am I? I am…Careci Roundstones.  I’ve found myself near a cave of some sort with naught but a copper spear and a dagger.  I feel so weak, what am I doing here? Wait, what’s that over there?  A goblin?  It doesn’t look like a warrior and I begin speaking to it.  He says his name is Itvid and that he and the Chaste Band have just reclaimed Siegedeep.  He doesn’t offer me any useful information, but I see no reason to kill him so I enter the cave to see what I can find.
Slaying a Drathla, I descend deeper.  These creatures are weak and leave plenty of meat behind for me to come back to.  Finally I reach the caverns, but after a long climb down, I realize they are full of too many twists and turns, and since the water is too muddy for me to drink, I am forced to return to the surface.  Besides I still lack pants.
Spoiler: Start (click to show/hide)
I head for the nearest settlement, a dwarvern Hillock called Glazewashes.  I try getting some of them to join me, but none seem to want to join a naked human on his quest for pants, and their own small clothes are too, well, small for a human.  After traveling to a hillock called Armorlances, I find some humans who are willing to join me.  There were actually quite a few in one of the drinking halls, so I picked a pikeman, Mastrosp, and an axeman, Ilpi.  They both appreciate poetry, which makes me wonder if this is some sort of mecca for poets.
Spoiler: Glazewashes (click to show/hide)
We’re barely out of town before we run into a lair.  Carefully sneaking in we find…a dwarf?  He is as stark naked as I, and despite my suspicions, I had a chat with him.  Fairly friendly for being a…hermit. He says goodbye and I bid him a good day as well.
Spoiler: Lair (click to show/hide)
We make our way south to a hamlet called Notchivy.  Coming to the building of The East Den, Ilpi comments that ‘He likes to dress well’.  I think he is implying something.  In any case, I raid the building for supplies.
And lo, an osprey leather backpack!  As we equip our items, I hand Ilpi some leather armor.  He decides to hold it.  I tell him if he isn’t going to use it, then he better give it back, to which he shouts ‘Over my dead body!’.  Fine, it’s your funeral if you want to weigh yourself down like that.  Now laden in armor,I feel much slower, and it chafes.  I think I may have preferred a lack of pants.  I think we’ll need some training in this gear before we take on any real foes. 

Gah, a Night Creature!  Why do I have a sudden feeling of Deja vu?  I hope my companions can prove their worth, because I fear I will be unable to take the beast alone.  However my fears are slightly assuaged when by the time I’ve taken a step towards the beasts my allies have already reached it and are hacking away.  This armor truly is heavy.  By the time I get there, the beast is strangling Mastrosp with its legs, so I stab it to release him.  Unfortunately the attack doesn’t faze it, so I attempt to grab it to free him.
Spoiler: The Encounter (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Fight (click to show/hide)
No! Mastrosp stops struggling and falls still, I hardly knew him, but he was a kind man, willing to join a naked guy on his quest for pants and glory.  Ilpi shows his resolve, and continues to severely wound the creature, dealing the killing blow.  I resolve before we go any further to return Mastrosp’s body to The East Den. 
Telling a peasant of the death of Mastrosp and Nekol (The name of the creature), he responds it was inevitable.  I feel he is making light of the sacrifice his countryman gave to rid these hills of dark creatures.  When I talk to Ilpi, he reminisces about our own mortality.  When we begin to travel again, he tells me of Adil Swalloweddagger, the Bleak Horror Consort.  It takes a moment, but understanding dawns.  This is my purpose, to slay all creatures of the night!
Spoiler: It was inevitable. (click to show/hide)
It was inevitable.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:51:39 am »

the images only show up claerly after ckicking them. this normal?

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 03:13:21 pm »

That's not a bug it's a feature.  Though if it's suboptimal, I am open to suggestions for other free image upload sites.  I use a mac, if that has any bearing on it.
It was inevitable.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 04:16:23 pm »

(Trying Imgur, I don't know if this will be better.)
http://imgur.com/oDi5TaU,cdVWx4X,heJqH5a,ETU8U0s,y2VMTIQ,Pj8vqHP,MbrwpO8,Ynsr26z#0

It is the 18th of Timber in the year 250.  Only a day has past since Mastrosp’s passing.  Ilpi and I are wandering the wilds, practicing our skills on whatever we can find.  During our travels we found a dwarvern woman, a consort of some Baron from where my journey began.  I know not what she was doing in the hills, but she agreed to join us on our hunt.
A few hours later we came across a bandit camp that threatened the town of Notchivy.  Not the demonic terrors of the night, but we ended them all the same.  Heading south, there is a brief encounter with some wolves that almost overwhelm Ilpi, giving credence to the idea that had Madtrosp not given his life, we would have perished.  The fight lasted longer than I expected, as more and more wolves joined the fight.  By the end Atis’ wounds were rather severe, I had to stick near her during the fight, otherwise I am sure she would have been overwhelmed.

Moving further south, we hear a large group of patrols in the distance.  I am very curious as to who it could be.  Looking around it seems to be some sort of refugee camp.  I waited for a day, but none ever woke up to explain to me what was going on.  I can only assume some fell magic is at hand.
(Pic. 1)
Stopping by a river for a drink only to find it frozen, I barely have time to blink before my companions engage in fighting.  Atis loses her left hand and I still can’t see anyone…
(Pic. 2)
Wait, Up there!
(Pic. 3)
What madness is this?  Goblins in an elven retreat?  And a human brewer as well!  Is this the criminal organization I have been warned so often of?  I am too slow to reach Atis’ side before she passes out, but Ilpi has reached her.  Then I realize that Ilpi is striking at her.  What is going on here?  Thinking, I realize that it must be some grudge the dwarves have against goblins that set her off.  I decided I would stick with Ilpi’s decision and dealt the final blow myself.
And yet…The fighting continued.  I am a stranger to these lands and I know not the politics, but is this right?  A woodcrafter he thought felled, sliced Ilpi’s neck and he collapsed, still fighting.  Damn, I wouldn’t let Ilpi die here!  I ran to stand over his prone form to protect him, impaling the woodcutter.
(Pic. 4)
The goblins all let out shrieks of horror, but I only see a human charging after me.
Then I realize it was a trick, the goblins were climbing through the trees above to get me!  I stab at them to get them to retreat and ask the fishery worker to yield.  She calls me a coward.  I stab her hand and ask again, but to no avail.  I have difficulty fending off attacks from the trees and below, as Ilpi still tries to fight, biting at the enemy, rolling around.  He even felled a goblin that way.
Still it was too close and I resorted to my more brutal methods I trained while fighting Drathlas.
In the space of a few seconds, I gouge both of her eyes and throw her by the head, and with my other hand pinching an artery and the tongue off of the goblin.
So many dead now, Ilpi…Ilpi?  ILLLPPPIIII!!!!!
(Pic. 5)
What is this?  I shall not let it stand!  DEATH TO ALL WITHIN RACED WAXES! To the Pain you worms!  TO THE PAIN!
Some do not realize that blood shall be paid with blood.  This will soon be remedied.
(Pic. 6,7,8)
This is not what I wanted, but I will, no I must carry on.  I will return Ilpi’s body to Notchivy to rest with Mastrosp.  Then, despite this madness, I will return to the task of slaying Creatures of the Night.  I used to be weak, but I am strong now.

It is the 21st now and I have yet to find a night creature.  However I did encounter a pikeman.  She looked ready for combat, so I asked her to cease hostilities.  She did not comply.  I ripped her pike from her grasp and allowed her to strike at me until she fell to the ground, exhausted.  She then yielded and spat at me, saying I murdered usbu TalonSeduced and Gozru FireFlies.  I do not even know if they are bandits or Ilpi’s murderers.  She refuses to give me her name, but she has joined me now.  She will guide me to terrors of the night.

I am covered in spit now, and I fear negotiations have been futile.  I may have been too hasty when I demanded her company.  She knows nothing about the fell beasts, and she is always repeating those names, usbu TalonSeduced, Gozru FireFlies.  I managed to learn that they where goblins, meaning that they were the ones who took part in Ilpi’s murder.  They deserved to die. 
She sympathizes with goblins too much.  I will take her to a dark fortress, that will show her the true fate of goblin kind.  At last I find one goblin tower.
As I grab one of the goblins, the pikeman turns on me.  Though she barely concealed her loathing for me earlier.  Amusingly enough, since I wasn’t using any weapons, the goblin I was about to fight asked if I had been in any good scraps lately.  I think…I think I will spare these goblins.  They are good…people.  In any case, somehow my fight with the pikeman Zilar, escalated and she now has fled from me.
And I seem to have traded one loathsome pikeman for another.  Another human, however this one says he will lead me to Deadcaverns the Night of Oblivion.  A fitting name for the lair of a fearsome creature. 

It has been a long journey, and I am almost back where I began.  It is time to slay a beast.
I enter the lair to have a three tailed beast assault me with a fork.  Ripping the utensil away, I gouge out the eyes and easily fell the beast.  My life as a hunter of the night has begun.
It was inevitable.

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:57:18 pm »

Hmmmm puush is the best one you can use.
Free. Easy. Fast.
Also, can some human explain this PTW?
If yer gonna watch, just watch.
Why does one have to report yer own watchings?

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 11:02:25 pm »

I think the forum will send you an update if something you've posted in gets another post.  On another site it tells me if anyones posted at the end of the day, so it's a way to keep updated.
It was inevitable.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 06:51:00 am »

when using imgur make sure to select this option:

(click the little clipboard to copy link)

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 08:17:09 pm »

Had some bugginess when I turned werebeast, and took me a while to figure it out.  Also it turns out Careci Roundstones isn't going to retire just yet, as I had planned...
EDIT: Well, turns out it was a whole lot of nothing.  Not enough happened, so there's now just a tiny addendum to the end.

The pikeman recognizes my bravery, but I still am not forgiven for slaying TalonSeduced.  However she does agree to lead me to another cave.  I was lucky enough that during our travels we were also attacked by a Night Troll.  My companion claims credit for the kill, although it clearly bled to death after my own strikes.  I will let it lie, however.  I slay another beast and the process repeats.

After a week of this, I have slain five night creatures total.  My guide knows there are still beasts out there but is unsure of their location.  I have decided to besiege SlaveTorment, a dark fortress.  I will spare the goblins that I can, but I suspect they harbor terrors in that dark tower.
Spoiler: Dark Fortress (click to show/hide)

I have reached the entrance.  Upon entering I talk to a few people.  The goblin’s leader is a human named Ngom Cruelfever.  The Exalted Guise, a goblin does not think the Band of Howls is fit to rule.  After a bit of talking, Ngom charges a master.  The politics here are brutal.  I stay out of it.  I have learned my lesson about interfering in squabbles over allegiance.  How grateful I am to be detached from this world.
Shato is speaking to me now.  I suppose slaying all the beasts and letting her kill the ‘traitor’ has raised me up in her eyes.  As I wander through the tower I find many prison cells.  I beach down nearly every door, but not one contains any kidnapped children.  Perhaps the stories of goblin terror were exaggerated.
As I wander around I hear cries for help from a goblin butcher I saw earlier.  I am unsure whether it is the insurrection I’ve been hearing about or something else.  I am far too deep within to make it out, but Shato says that the Band of Howls has been deposed.  Returning to the surface seems wise, as I feel I am unable to discern to path to the underneath.  Shato charges the goblin butcher now, I am unsure how she manages to keep abreast of the politics so intuitively. 
I thought I noticed goblins atop the roof of the tower so I headed there….
Spoiler: Fleeing Refugees (click to show/hide)
There were definitely goblins there.  They say they are traveling, this must be the group about to flee Slavetorment. Following them out of the city, they’ve set up a camp.  Shato is chasing a goblin carpenter, and I am trying to get her to stop.  The goblin is killed and we continue on our way.
It’s the 3rd of moonstone and it becomes ever more difficult to find creatures of the night.  I run into an old foe.  A bandit leader that Ilpi and I encountered after exacting vengeance on Nekol.  No one in town seemed to complain.
Where are the terrors?  I ask Shato and she tells me of a story of how a ghostly dwarf died of thirst.  I believe she means a dwarf died of thirst and became a ghost, but am unsure.  In any case, I am unable to slay ghosts, so the matter is…immaterial.
I leave Shato behind so I can train without interruption.  During that time I encounter a large bestial rat.  The fight lasts for a long while, but having blinded it before hand, it is simple training.  I suffered only a small bite to the hand.  I wander back towards Jadewebs after a bit more wandering, but it seems the goblins are afraid of me now.
There are several tombs near Jadewebs and I have decided to search them for any restless dead.  After this I may retire with Shato, any remaining night creatures are too scattered for me to find.  I haven’t seen Shato since returning, so I ask a dwarf to accompany me.  The first tomb I check is that of a general who died peacefully.  After investigating his coffin, nothing struck me as odd, so I proceeded to the second of the five.
While wandering the halls we awoke Ijam the War Leader!   Tekkud is overwhelmed and I barely make a fighting retreat up through the tomb.  The mummy arrives and declares me cursed  My pike was a poor choice of weapon against the dead, but luckily an bronze sword lay within.  Making use of the traps, I make my stand, slowly whittling off the limbs of the dead.  As I backed out of the tomb, the sun’s light descended upon a grotesque sight.  A parade of butchered arms followed me out, but they moved slowly enough that I was able to maneuver around behind Iljam and remove her head.  Two tombs checked, with three remaining.
Spoiler: The Curse (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Parade of Arms (click to show/hide)
It was a tough decision, but I doubt I could take a mummy alone.  I asked Idil, a consort to join me.  He seeks glory and death, I hope he can escape the latter.  I am under no illusion he is as skilled as my past companions, but any help is appreciated.  The tomb we enter is that of Aso Letengbendi, another war leader.  I realize that these tombs are likely each for renown tacticians.  As we adventure through the halls, I butcher each corpse so that even if they rise, they will be less of a threat.  Aso looks at me oddly, but says nothing.  In the end, we find the tetrahedrite coffin and nothing occurs.  I step in, prepared to face the wrath of a mummy, but nothing happens. 
Kenom Kaditirin is the one who resides within the penultimate tomb.  I make a foolish move.  Leaping from a detached stairwell onto a balcony, I begin butchering the masses of corpses.  However Aso, likely complacent from the last tomb we entered, strolls right by the coffin awakening the mummy.  Instantly, legions of the dead rise up.  This will be a fight to remember.  I begin by leaping towards the two skeletons on my level.  One shambles off the side, but I doubt the fall will do enough damage to permanently incapacitate it.  The horde managed to shove me and I fell down the four floors, but I quickly regained my footing.  I’ve learned that if I leap through them, they will attempt to dodge, which let me quickly make it back to the stairs and to my original position.
Spoiler: Legions of the Dead (click to show/hide)
Armed with knowledge from the second tomb, I chop off the legs whole, slowing them down.  Then, after casting most back down the pit, I chop off their fingers one by one, so they won’t come back.  Even in mid punch I was able to slice off a single finger of my choosing.  It seems…are they learning from my tactics, or is it mere coincidence?  The dead are now leaping from the stairwell to me, sometimes putting me off balance.  Still even with three score dead, I am unable to locate the mummy herself.  Perhaps I did not notice her among the other countless dead, or perhaps she was slain by one of her own falling necromantic minions.  It would be fittingly ironic.
There is but one tomb left.  I will enter it alone, as I need only slay the mummy at the center.  The world will be safe, at least for a time.  I enter, and it is the resting place of General Ceshed Athisnisam.  There are quite a few corpses, but the number pales in comparison to what I had just fought.  I step up next to the coffin, sword ready…
…and nothing. 
The grand battle of Kenom’s tomb was grand enough for a final adventure, I suppose, and I am still alive.  Night creatures have made themselves scarce, and it is time for me to retire.  Shato awaited me in Jadewebs, and we returned to The East Den in Notchivy to retire…

I ask and they can’t remember what happened.  How helpful.  But this is the resting place of Ilpi and Mastrosp, I will not sit idly by.  At least I wouldn’t if anything was actually going on.  With Kajeth Girlfed in tow, I leave Notchivy.  It may just be chaos, as I can find no leaders.  I head to The Fall of Song in Youthfulshadows, a town that is between Jadeweb and Notchivy.  The lady allows me to stay here.  I hope I get to live a peaceful life now.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:36:59 pm by 10terrapin01 »
It was inevitable.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 04:34:01 pm »

Will accept Dorfing, if people wish to be part of the history of the world.

Bouldertome, The Razors of Entangling

It is Opal, and we have finally arrived at our destination.  The site looks promising, filled with good trees ripe for chopping, a river for water and fish, and clay for farming and ceramics.  I order a plan to delve into the mountains to cross over the river and then back again, requiring bridges to cross into the fort.  This means it is Granite before we truly start working on the fort.
Spoiler: Region (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Surroundings (click to show/hide)
Unfortunately during this time I was forced to endure the outside which was crawling with slugs.  Those slimy bastards, inching along, leaving an oozing trail behind them, disgusting.  Just as disgusting, I had to speak with the brewer, Roadumbras.  Now I respect brewers, no dwarf does not, but Roadumbras is so Armoked full of himself.  He has yet to brew a single drink, although I will admit, we haven’t much need of him.  Though what I can’t stand is he is so open with his emotions and complaining!  A true dwarf is stoic and unyielding, and I can’t stand his whining.
By Felsite we’ve struck the aquifer, but luckily I have done this before and begin designing the screwpumps.  I tell Roadumbras that he is in charge of pumping, the blocks are under construction and soon we will begin the breach.
It is summer now, and Roadumbras has been putting off his duties by planting.  He’s seemed ponderous and I’ve been told he’s considering worshipping Mezum Splatteryells, god of chaos, war and fortresses.  As soon as we get another brewer, I am putting him somewhere…safe.
Spoiler: Me (click to show/hide)

As must have heard me, but not very well, for she sent 7 migrants our way none of which were brewers.  However she did send a miner and a glazer with combat experience so all is well.  With the breach taking a while, I also designate other projects to begin.  Since I enjoy tomatillos and amaranth, and my friend Ballstandard likes white millet beer, an outside farm had been ordered constructed.  A screw pump will flood the area so that it is all useable.
Alas, tragedy has struck the Bouldertome so early in its history.  While Ballstandard was preparing the fields, he tripped and fell into the river.  He always did have poor spatial sense and curious to his own detriment.  Perhaps he peeked too far into the river and fell.  When the fort is properly set up, I must remember to teach the dwarves how to swim.  Being unable to reach his body I order a slab built for him. 
Autumn has come, and we are grow ever so slightly closer to breaching the aquifer.  Despite having done it before, I somehow managed to forget what an Armoked pain it is.  On the 14th of Limestone the liaison arrived.  I requested wood and some stone, since at the moment we will be using much wood and have little access to stone.  I also asked for amaranths and tomatillos for the garden, as well as metal, since we are not likely to acquire any.  They say the mountain homes will pay extra for crafts, but those are useless.  Our carpenter Tongschanced shall send them spiked wooden balls.  Those are at least somewhat useful.
I appoint Whipfuture as our broker, as he is the best at haggling, though he can’t appraise.  Luckily with our carpenters skill we get a very good deal, managing to acquire all the food they brought, several extra anvils and picks as well as some metals.
8 more migrants arrived before the caravan left, while not useless, they weren’t particularly skilled in their fields.  Two were fit for the military, so they have been drafted, despite the fact there is no barracks and they have never been called up.  That is what has happened up to this point.  May the Climactic Lancers grow in peace.
-Terrapin, Overseer.
Spoiler: End Screencap (click to show/hide)
It was inevitable.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 02:37:37 am »

dorf me as Gw01f2ki pls. mechanic. mind the numbers.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 09:08:31 am »

It is the third of Moonstone before anything of note happens again.  Sanctumknife, one of the military recruit was taken by a fey mood, possibly a curse by the elves.  He immediately began to grab materials for the craftsdwarf  workshop, so I have high hopes he will not descend into madness.  A little over a week later he has created a gabbro crown, Coilsoldier the Gleams of Tone, in honor of one of our previous kings.  As humble as it is, it is fit for a dwarvern king, made solely of stone.
Spoiler: Coilsoldier (click to show/hide)
In my attempt to enlarge the breach, I may have made a mistake.  We’d not yet punctured through the entire aquifer.  Luckily with a little time it could be remedied.
In better news, I have built a more proper dining hall.  It isn’t a hall of legend yet, but without the crafters, that would be impossible.  It will do for now though.  I have also set up several bedrooms which once we have some glass for windows, will have a beautiful view of the canyon.  A baby has been born to Weatherproofs and Guiseblockade. 
Once again a mood takes one of us, this time it is Whipfuture.  I try remembering what he may want to craft and I remembered him saying he used to be a metal crafter.  I am infinitely grateful I bought metal bars from the last caravan, for time is of the essence in these situations.  I told Trailsalves to build the buildings, as I designed the furnace.  Metal bars, leather and rough gems.  I winced at the last request.  Through the muddy waters a carnelian cluster was spotted.  The date is the 8th of Granite and it is a race against time.
Spoiler: The Carnelians (click to show/hide)
On the 21st of Granite we have secured the first layer of the aquifer.  I am forgoing all other projects at the moment.
On the 16th of Slate more migrants arrive, but I must admit I am too preoccupied to pay them any mind, I think 7 came.
On the first of Felsite, I put the last wall in.  Bout our miners are busy, but I recall additional picks being grabbed from the caravan, so I strike the earth myself.  Unfortunately there is still water below, in a last ditch effort, we use buckets to haul the water out…but it is too late.  Apparently Whipfuture went mad some time last month.  Are my friends all cursed?  Why couldn’t it have been Roadumbras?
Spoiler: So close... (click to show/hide)
It is Hematite now and we have made our way into the stone layers.  Unfortunately, the design I had planned won’t be able to be undertaken.  I will have the miners dig to the caverns and we will possibly set up the majority of the fort in the depths.  A human caravan has also come and we trade for more food.  For the moment, we wish to keep our relations with them positive.
17th of Hematite, Bitepaints must have been eating some paint recently, because he is acting possessed.  I don’t exactly have high hopes for his product, but he is able to grab the carnelians.  It takes him less than a week to produce Gloomwayward, a bucket. On the 28th, more migrants arrive.  I have a feeling that the fortress will be attracting undue attention soon, so I get to work smoothing what will be the barracks as they file in.  Only five this time and with the death of Whipfuture the fortress now has 36 members.
Craftedbowel has decided to throw a party in celebration of the growing fort.  In the end I have to show up late, but at least the militia are practicing now.  Barbmirrors and I are getting along very well, I hope we can talk more like this in the future.  I also order a series of rooms to be built underground, alternating up and down so that once the underfoot is built, I believe it will be safe from water pressure and flooding.
Spoiler: The Barracks (click to show/hide)
Trailsalves has given birth to a baby on the 28th of Galena and she and Sanctumknife are quite happy now.  The baby Authoredwheel looks remarkably flimsy and quite sickly, just as their other two children.  I am happy for them, but I can’t see their children being much help in the future of Bouldertome.
The liaison is ever so slightly earlier this year, arriving on the 13th of Limestone.  I asked Tongschanced to make a few more spiked balls before we trade, and he got right to it.  I am quite happy I have a meeting room to speak with the liaison, just as last year, the world is the same as ever.  I ask for the same things this time, but also for gold bars, short swords and axes.  Once again the mountain homes request junk, which I shall not provide.
Just as I am about to tell Keylanced what to purchase from the traders, the child Tomestowers is possessed.  I swear, possessed on the 20th, starting on the 21st, and done on the 25th.  It’s like they aren’t even trying to make something grand!  It has the appropriate name of The Merged Defect, and it is a willow crown.  What does he want to be king of the elves?  I’ve told the liaison how exasperating it can be here, and at the sight of the elf-craft she agrees.  Still on whole it goes well.  Please send more skilled workers, and may the reign of Sodel be long.
-Terrapin, Overseer.
It was inevitable.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 04:35:54 pm »

The first big event since my last report was another influx of 7 migrants on the 8th of Sandstone.  Rampartnamed, one of the miners that arrived, came with some damage to her head and right side.  We don’t have a hospital, what is this?  I know that I wanted skilled workers, but this is ridiculous, don’t send me the wounded!
In good news, we’ve opened a path into the caverns on the 7th of Timber.  It will be difficult to forge a path down and we will need to be careful that we are not overrun by the beasts of the deep.  In…odder news, Spreaddikes has taken to calling himself Gw01f2ki.  I think all the time with mechanisms has him confusing his equations with his name.
On the 16th of Opal, Wayorbs was taken by a mood and a baby was born to Oillance and Keylanced.  However the baby’s name is Archdiamond, looking her over, she seems like she will grow into a fine dwarf.  She looks very quick and hale, perhaps she will join the military in some years.
Spoiler: Caverns (click to show/hide)
Babies!  Babies everywhere!  4 days later on the 20th another baby was born to Furnacemerchant and Focusbridges.  Cresthatchets doesn’t seem to take to her parents well, but all the same doesn’t make much of a fuss.  Again, 5 days after that, another child was born to Shimmerdoor and Faithplank. That’s 5 babies in the fort! I wish they would learn some restraint.
Wayorbs’ creation, The Large Spells, wasn’t particularly useful, but it is at least a good example of craftsdwarfship.  Th Bracelet is worth more than all the other ‘artifacts’ put together several times over.  This piece celebrates one of the first queens of the Climactic Lancer, and it is well done.  Her skill from this should let her smooth more quickly, which is an additional bonus.
On the 14th of Granite, I decide to celebrate Bouldertome’s growth, and during that time more migrants arrive, taking the population from 47 to 67.  I take it the mountain homes has finally started listening to me.  We gained a skilled clothier, useful as my clothes are starting to wear thin, as well as a diagnostician for the wounded miner we received.  A weaponsmith also arrived and due to the great numbers now at Bouldertomes, we decided to elect a mayor.  Somehow Shimmerdoor the farmer won the election?  She’s only passing acquaintances with most of the fort, and doesn’t even have a slew of progeny to vote for her.  I shrug and abide by the ruling, and order Kogan to make her some wooden furniture.  Why does the mayor even need an armor rack?  I’ve never understood that bit of dwarvern tradition.  I am quite proud of the engravings I did, realizing my dream of creating a great work of art.  It is an image of a dwarf being struck down by the Roc Resmi Strengthblossom.  That should remind her that her position is not absolute.
Another baby was born on the 27th.  I’m beginning to think it isn’t worth being told, but this one is at least child of someone relatively important.  Weatherroofs gave birth to Anvilcreatures, a mighty-looking baby.  Guiseblockade the militia commander is the father, so I suppose it is to be expected.
The year honestly is passing rather uneventfully, and when one of the militia, Standardworshipped is taken by a mood, I am somewhat intrigued.  On the 11th of Hematite a human caravan arrives.  The aided us in striking down several bothersome keas, for which they have my gratitude.  Sadly, being humans, their armor is too large for us.  Still we acquire a good deal of food for our burgeoning cooking industry.  Having traded most of their goods, with a tidy profit margin, the humans pack up and leave us.  During this time, Shimmerdoor is reelected!  Who is voting for her?  I’m not!
A horse leather tunic.  At least…moderately useful?  When we get some marks dwarves, I suppose it will help protect them.  The name though, some people around here need to learn how to come up with a proper name.  Flashedcharred the Buck-Pick of Cults.  What does it mean?  Is it Flashcharred the Buck and it is the Pick of Cults?  Otherwise, what is a Buck-Pick?  I don’t know what to call it other than ridiculous.
On the 2nd of Malachite, guess what?  More migrants.  8 thoroughly useless migrants.  I reassign some to clothes making and another to mining.  I suppose the last wave was a mere fluke.  On the 13th another baby to feed.  It is the child of the wounded miner Rampartnamed, Worshippedpost is the father.  The child has inherited some of his parent’s strength.  Only 12 years until it can be put to use.  Even worse is that the mother is too wounded to search for the baby(despite being healthy enough to look for food).  I saw little Bronzeblunted heading down the hall.  I wonder where the little beard is headed.
Spoiler: We get it! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Where are you going? (click to show/hide)
Oh little Bronzeblunted came crawling into my office and I noticed we both had the same hairstyle!  Short combed sideburns, long combed mustaches, long beard in double-braids and clean shaven hair!  He also seems to appreciate art.  I wonder if I could be his Armok-Father?
Towards the beginning of Galena, I order new pumps to be operated, so the path downward can be expanded.
Trailsalves and Sanctumknife had another weak beard birthed to them on the 11th.  I’m about to start chastising them when my beard gets a feeling.  It has been told to me by my elders, but never have I experienced it in person.  When trouble is near, even if it cannot be seen a dwarf’s beard will warn him.  It is a forgotten beast!
Spoiler: The Beast (click to show/hide)
I know we are incapable of handling this creature.  I must order the entrance to the cavern sealed.  Luckily I doubt it will be able to pass through hatches even if we don’t wall it off in time.  It is like a loathsome combination of the Roc that terrorizes the lands and a dragon.  We may not be able to slay it yet, but soon, soon.
Excellent!  On the 2nd of limestone, Tongstarget the weaponsmith has withdrawn from society!  I am forbidding all metals except steel so that whatever he creates will be an exceptional weapon.  He isn’t finished by the 10th, which is when the liaison arrives.  We ask for the same as always, and I am notified that the Rampartnamed has perished.  I hate to be insensitive, but I feel it is for the best.  I ask the mountain homes not to send anyone who is incapable of feeding themselves.
I am ending this report with Tongstarget’s creation, The Harsh Devourer, a steel warhammer.  It bears the image of a dwarf striking down a dusk freak, truly a dwarvern weapon.  When they are trained, it will make a fitting weapon to slay the forgotten beast.  May Atir give us strength to prevent the thing from surfacing.
-Terrapin,Overseer.
Spoiler: The Harsh Devourer (click to show/hide)
It was inevitable.
Pages: [1] 2