Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Terrapin Tales  (Read 3533 times)

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Terrapin Tales
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 09:50:48 am »

Again the migrants have arrived shortly after the caravan has departed for the mountainhomes.  They sent four medics, possibly to help Rampartnamed who passed away recently.  They will be able to help other dwarves here in the future, so I am glad they came.  However the one called Twinklequakes is said to be ‘constantly ablaze with feelings of lust’.  Oddly enough he and his wife have no children. The other four dwarves were varying degrees of useless, and they shall soon be reassigned.
Oillance and Keylanced had another baby on the 8th of timber this year, however this one is a weakling.  She then went on to enter a mood, which I hope will make up for her poor offspring…A wooden cup.  I honestly don’t know why I even dare to hope nowadays.  As we dig deeper through the underground, another birth occurred in the upper fort on the 4th of Opal, child of Helunions and Tongstarget. Once again the child of a great dwarf seems to have a great future ahead of them.
Un(Fortunately) during the expansion of the breach one of Trailsalves’ 6 children perished in the water.  This occurred on the 27th of Obsidian, but I am happy to report, it has not set us back any, as Sanctumknife remained content.  Luckily the death of his child was offset by the mist he made while pumping.
Another artifact in the making, starting on the 16th of Granite by Bellsteel. Unfortunately for the nigh-worthless bonecarver, we have no silk.  I suppose if the human caravan comes quickly enough, I shall ask for some if he isn’t dead by then.  Speaking of dead, I think I smell little Fountainmet’s spirit rising up to Armok.  Oh, that’s just the miasma?
Spoiler: Stinky Baby (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ghostly Baby (click to show/hide)
More migrants! Thank you Sodel Degeluvar, just what we need!  Dyers and administrators!   I am growing ever more impatient to reach the magma seas that await us.  Our armorers and smiths have dallied too long, we must reach the earth’s lifeblood.  I hope you send penny of wood our way, because I’ve ordered the forests to be smelted into charcoal to fuel the temporary surface forges.
Ha! A bone spear!  O Bellsteel, look to thy own name before crafting another craft.  We are dwarves, meant to delve in the deep. 
The new little beard is weak!  Boundgranite and Drumwall, why is your progeny so distasteful?  Do you know what happens to dwarves that are weak?
Spoiler: Bone Spear (click to show/hide)
They are killed!  By geese!  I will say that this has yet to happen, but the stage has been set.  The dining hall is too small to reside comfortably in.  Only the strongest will survive.  Trailsalves doesn’t seem to understand this.  She says she is looking for her little beard.  I am fairly sure everyone knows where Fountainmet is, floating about the pump stacks where she dropped him.
Oh goody! The humans have arrived on the 13th of Hematite.  Come humans, bring us your metals, leave yourselves unarmed.  There is a flurry of activity swarming the nice spiked balls to the depot, but the wailing ghost seems to disrupt a few people.
A new mayor has been elected!  Now it is Actgolds, a dwarf with the decency to be good at hammering things.  Free of our old mayor, I have organized a party.  It is packed, and many that I did not invite are in attendance.  I suppose that happens when you hold parties in a public place.  Barbmirrors attended, which is all that really matters.
Gw01f2ki!  What are you doing?  The dwarvern caravan will arrive in a few months, and he thinks it is time to craft some grand artifact!  I suppose it is the best time, since if he lacks anything, we can take it.
Happy birthday Bronzeblunted!  It is the 13th of Malachite, the little beard has managed to survive without a mother to carry him everywhere.  Of course for every beard that grows up, another will be born.  For a strong mother like Slippedsword and relatively average father, Roghnessurns, I expected Giltwalls to be tougher.  Oh well, if he is too weak he will die.  More migrants, and then more babies, I do not care.  We must reach the magma seas!
Hematite mechanisms Gw01f2ki?  How are those better than our regular mechanisms?  Oh it menaces with spikes of hematite?  You do realize we could have used that hematite to make ACTUAL SPIKES right?
The caravan arrived on the 14th as they usually do.  In negotiations I demand them to bring as much metal as possible from the mountain home.  Much to my surprise they offer to elevate Bouldertomes to a Barony.  Ha! Our fortress of iron and steel will soon lead the entirety of the dwarvern civilization.  The only problem is I am unsure who to appoint to the position.  I wish to continue contributing to the fort.  I choose in the most dwarvernly manner, choosing someone that won’t be missed.
Afterwards I look to the Milker, who I am sure lacks any skills that we will miss.  Minehames, poor fighter, accomplished Milker…EXPERT WEAPONSMITH?  WHAT.  By Armok’s fiery bosom, what is an expert weapon smith doing as a milker?  I can’t imagine the stupidity of the mandates that are going to be coming from our up and coming Baroness.
Spoiler: Barony (click to show/hide)
-Terrapin,Overseer.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Terrapin Tales
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 11:04:51 am »

As the caravans leave, I order more furnaces to be built.  We create such a surplus of wealth now that we can purchase all the useless metal toys the mountain home sends us.  Wasteful fools, metal is a tool for WAR.  At the moment, we are limited by the trees we can fell, but once we reach the magma seas, then the age of dwarves can begin.
Spoiler: The Forges (click to show/hide)
Th child Gleamsmith has begun crafting something.  Likely useless, as it comes from a crafts dwarf’s workshop.  A wooden bracelet.  How predictable.
There is only the daily grind as we approach the magma seas.  Until Felsite, when a wererat came to besiege our fortress.  Our militia has not killed anything in their history, and now is the time to see if their sparring has given them any real skill, but they are not swift enough.  The dwarves of Bouldertome rally themselves to defend the fort.  In the end Tongschanced comes in with his axe and lops its limbs off.  With three dead, luckily only fish cleaners and a planter, along three severely wounded.
Spoiler: The Wererat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Defend the Fort (click to show/hide)
The humans have come again, and their greeting is sycophantic, but befitting of surface dwellers.  At least in contrast to our liaison, the diplomat has brought actual news.  None of it relates to us and it is all from several years ago, but I suppose it is better than nothing.  Gathering their metals, we begin smelting again.  Perhaps the humans will be allowed to remain in the glorious dwarvern age to come.
Damn!  Two of those who survived the battle with the were rat have been corrupted by its blood.  Those infected will need to be quarantined.  Luckily the two dwarves trapped in with the beast have few family or friends to mourn their inevitable passing.
Spoiler: Sycophantice Humans (click to show/hide)
No! Armok’s Blessings upon us, we missed one who was wounded in one of the secondary attacks!  And it was Tongstarget, the creator of the Harsh Devourer!  At least 5 have died and 4 are under suspect of carrying tainted blood, one of which being an original seven, Craftedbowel, a friend of mine.  She’s been sealed in a private lockdown with a bit of food.  The second hospital made is now sealed with three of the tainted.
On the 15th of Galena we have our answer!  The corruption has been contained!  While one suspect was innocent and slain by the were rat in the hospital, Craftedbowel is uninfected.  But just as we isolate the last of the blood from our own another beast approaches.  Wait.. but something seems wrong…
Spoiler: The Second Werebeast (click to show/hide)
We charge it, but it does not fall as the earlier invader did.  The fight rages and an arrow strikes it in the leg, but still those in the area are felled.  This beast takes a much higher toll on our fortress than previous beasts had. Seven are struck down before the end, and none survive their wounds, so we need not watch for the spread of the disease.  Of those we lost Blazeroughness was skilled, but had no family or friends to mourn her.  Bitepaints had many friends, but a relatively unskilled planter.  Wayorbs, an engraver who created ‘The Large Spells’ with quite a bit of family might be quite a detriment to our fort in the near future.  Shimmerdoor, our ex-mayor also perished.  Other than that, those who died were useless and irrelevant to the fort.
On the 14th our liaison has returned with the caravan.  Despite our growing wealth, the recent attack makes me feel that the defenses of Bouldertomes are too lax.  I order the trees near the border felled to make room for iron walls to be raised.  The caravan leaves as we melt our acquisition, awaiting their next arrival.  Bouldertomes shall become the stronghold of the Climactic Lancers and our day of glory approaches.
Terrapin, Overseer.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 [2]