Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Post-Apocalyptic Soul Eater Game Looking for a Better Name (Full?/5)  (Read 1339 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does this kinda work?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nom nom nom

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@kilakan I'd recommend making A1 an activated ability, I guess to screw with inventories. A2 should be either activated, and therefore more powerful if it works, or passive, and a stat boost of two points. A3 is, I guess, an activated teleport, that won't allow for moving through walls, but could find ways around them. T1 is extremely powerful, and should probably be changed to something simpler, like making extra, but weakened, attacks simultaneously. T2 should probably have a drawback, up to you. T3 is quite interesting; would activated + upkeep, for several turns your own rolls and those made against you are hidden, and nobody takes any damage until the ability is released work?
I like the character, sort of a really fast Bane feel.

To everybody, good job on the characters, but I have to wonder why weapons and magic users aren't attractive. In case I wasn't clear, Interference applies to all abilities and techniques, not just them.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

To everybody, good job on the characters, but I have to wonder why weapons and magic users aren't attractive. In case I wasn't clear, Interference applies to all abilities and techniques, not just them.

For one, nobody knows how weapons (I assume you mean the talking guns) work since nobody's seen Soul Eater. You also haven't added basically any information about what they might be and how they work, or how they're different from regular guns aside from probably being able to talk. I mean, I made JHD's gun highly unusual and partly magical, but that doesn't seem close enough.

Secondly, aren't magic users kind of mostly dead in your setting description? And also majorly screwed by Interference?

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Herm. It seems I have been struck with the Curse of Knowledge. Rather a lot, actually. Okay.

Weapons can take pretty much any form that could conceivably be used to hurt someone else (Shields, cutlery, slingshots, cannons, a guillotine, pistols, swords, whatever.), and are a specific type of human, originally artificial, but appearing in the general populace apparently at random after the creation of the first. They are, more or less, resonators for Soul abilities, dramatically improving the combat potential of both themselves and their partner. Both they, and witches, manifest their abilities sometime during mid/late puberty, so children could survive the apocalypse without direct harm. Witches seem to use their own voice as a channel for Soul wavelengths, in the form of a chant of only a few very similar words. This chant will always be the same for a given magic user, but is not necessarily unique to only that one person. In the show, witches use animal chants, presumably for versatility of traits and solidarity rather than any real restriction, as magic is shown to work with "pumpkin" as a chant as well. There are other kinds of magic, focused on the creation and use of magic tools, presumably through the creation of synthetic souls, which remain without much identity, as souls are the only demonstrated power source for magic, and the soul of a human is not needed to create a magic tool, the first Weapon excluded. Golems also exist, and provide stronger evidence for synthetic souls, although at least one did have a human's soul.

There are a couple of ways a weapon or magic user (very likely a witch, as they would not appreciate competition) could survive the apocalypse. If one was in a faraday cage, intentionally or not, they could not have been harmed by a magnetic field, so anyone in a metal box or wire mesh without an opening would survive. A scientist trying to avoid magnetic interference on a project, a stowaway in a shipping container, a chicken farmer hiding in a coop with a shotgun waiting to ambush a fox, there would be survivors, although a lot of them wouldn't be able to actually escape, what with the apocalypse ruining the ways out of some of these. Or, the character could have simply been born after/somewhat before the apocalypse happened.

Sorry for not explaining the state of affairs better. I screwed up.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I'm still willing to run this, so any of you who are willing to put up with inexperienced setup/writing and also wsnt to, you're in. If you think it would help, I can shift the scales from a high magic world towards a low magic world with a concentrating factor in the vicinity, probably some form of macguffin by definition, but it could be an item, a person, a building/place, or whatever.

Basically, the weird stuff in the world is weird to everyone living there, and so a player shouldn't need to know it to play, and you don't have to know what it is to pull the trigger and hope it shoots.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Post-Apocalyptic Soul Eater Game Looking for a Better Name (Full?/5)
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 07:23:31 am »

I can certainly play, but from a mechanics standpoint i'm not sure how to note what you told me on my character sheet.  If you'd not mind can you make the changes for me?
Nom nom nom

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
Re: A Post-Apocalyptic Soul Eater Game Looking for a Better Name (Full?/5)
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 07:50:57 am »

I'd still play this.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu
Pages: 1 [2]