Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zenithbridge  (Read 1135 times)

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
Zenithbridge
« on: July 22, 2015, 11:31:17 pm »

So, here's what's going on: I'm turning a small island map that's overrun with goblins, humans, elves and necromancers into an oppressive dwarven empire for adventure mode exploration fun. I've been throwing up some torture towers and dungeons around the map, and am starting to develop a consistent imperial theme to my fortresses. I'm planning on building the imperial palace on a small volcano-riddled grassland island in the calm north, and right now I've got a bridge crew ready to connect the island to the mainland before I begin construction of the palace, on an 8x1 map. Why they decided to ford the wagons across the sea to the island to being work, I'm not sure, but I don't mind so much as I get to begin work in a grassland instead of the rocky wasteland on the mainland.

Now, I could just build a tunnel, it would be dwarfy, but not as impressive enough for the mighty empire. I could suspend disbelief and accept the supreme dwarven skills in architecture that allow them to build large buildings in the air on a single support, but I would like to have proper supports for this bridge sitting in the ocean, as well as a good 3x3 staircase leading beneath the sea for a guard fortress. I've never tried to do something like this for water that is more than one z-level deep, and I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I've considered dumping magma onto the water and sort of carving out a pillar as I go along, and I've considered casting massive obsidian pillars above the ocean and then dropping them in.

Am I missing a more simple method here?

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zenithbridge
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 12:42:52 am »

How many z-levels are we talking about ?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:04:08 am »

Forts started on a divide between two landmasses always seem to start you off on the opposite side of your civ. Not sure why.

Magma dumping and pillars are the ways that I know, not sure what else there is.

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:39:25 am »

varying between 1 and 5, deepest at the center.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 01:08:52 pm »

If it freezes in winter just channel thought the ice and and build the containing walls quickly.
If not you can try a ring of pumps to pump an area dry, wall that in then move down a layer. I've seen people do that when trying to drain an ocean, or cage trap sea life.

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 04:05:46 pm »

5 is quite deep, but if you have an aquifer somewhere or if you use the edges of the map to get rid of the extra water you might be able to use pumps the same way you would do it to break through an aquifer.

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 05:49:13 pm »

5 is quite deep, but if you have an aquifer somewhere or if you use the edges of the map to get rid of the extra water you might be able to use pumps the same way you would do it to break through an aquifer.

wow we're talking about some Moses shit here. It would be pretty neat but I have no idea how much power that would require, or how to do that after one z level.

I think I'm going to go with a magma stack and a water stack and use a duct system to cast the pillars, and drop them into the water like  pistons. It's insane how difficult it is to build in water in this game. Need diving equipment.