Olin
- 1 (25%)
Rim
- 0 (0%)
Blue
- 2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Stream of Time: 103 A.A: Blockadepraises  (Read 3908 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Mine
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 11:53:06 am »

What's a merlock?
I'm guessing kobold

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 12:15:46 pm »

Spoiler: merlocks (click to show/hide)

This following is just a short adventure where I plan to check out what is going on with the King of The Armory of Brushes.  He's been living alone in the ruined capital since it was destroyed, while his wife was living in Manorroared until her demise.

001A-01

Spoiler: Attribuites (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kadol Wondermountains (click to show/hide)

Kadol Kulalonol stood before the barons.  The farmers, though obviously curious, seemed to know better than to stop working to eavesdrop.
Spoiler: Start (click to show/hide)

'You must go and deliver the food to our monarch.  He refuses to leave his home, and we cannot spare any more soldiers to go with you.  This is the elves' season; we can expect an attack from them at any time now.'
  The Baron of Tombsdance shot a glance at the Baron of Autumnallabor before adding 'If you can also clear the wild critters from around my land, I would also be most grateful.  We expect to launch a reclaimation effort within the year ...'

'That old story?  How long have you been ''planning'' the expidition now?  All our resources go towards defense these days.'
 The baron of Tombdances, with a look of mild indignation, simply replied that Autumanlalbors was a reclaimed site, to which his companion retorted 'back in the second decade, yea.  This site's older than you!'.

Their bickering intensifying, Kodal took his leave.  They had given him a copper spear, a waterskin, and a bag of rations.  He was supposed to pick up the King's supplies in the hillock of Manorroared, another reclaimed site.  From there he was authorized to check the condition of the tunnel under Indigodike (another destroyed fort), and if capable make his way to the former mountainhome of Tombdances.  Tombdances was destroyed long agon by a Titan, and left in ruin.  It was Kumil Nosig's sole claim to the south side of The Mighty Mountain, and with the wars against the elves the dwarves had found themselves too hard pressed to reclaim it.
  The King of Kumil Nosig, Iden Scaletrade, was rumored to have holed up in it ever since his wife was struck down by the same Mountain Titan that destroyed Tombdances.  Eslo Olonifih Abliedri Vicu.  Nobody knew how he ruled from the ruins of Tombdances, but Kadol supposed that a messanger who brought supplies in could easily take orders out.

Spoiler: His Path (click to show/hide)
  Heading south and east, Kadol arrived at the hillock of Manorroared.  There were at best 10 dwarves and a human residing there, and well over half the hillocks had actually caved in or were locked to prevent vagrancy.  Such a sorry shape for a settlement to be in, atlthough this particular one provided over half the agriculture produced in the lands of Kumil Nosig.
  Directed by the local drunk into the storage mound, Kadol picked up his bag of (17) plump helmets, as well as some additional armor.  He was now covered in protective leather and his pig tail cloak.  Off to Idigodikes!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:26:26 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 02:04:22 pm »

001A-02

Spoiler: On-Site (click to show/hide)
  Arriving on site, Kadol snuck around the thick giant recluse spiderwebs and into the Fortress to find a old bloodstains on an empty Trade Depot.  A Forgotten Beast was Rumored to dwell in the area, so Kadol took precautions in case he found it.  The topmost area appears to have been a dorm, though rooms full of ragged clothing and rotten fruits were found, sealed away by thick dwarven doors.  The rooms were all empty, whatever they had in them ransacked long ago.

Traveling down the smoothed dwarven shaft, Kadol found an odd hole in the wall about 10 feet above second landing.  This hole had been smashed open, as if something large had come through.  Jumping and climbing along the rough wall, Kadol peered inside, and suddenly knew that it was a passage downward to deeper caverns.  It also likely hooked up the to Cavern that must be above him.  Kadol left an intense search of it for later and continued downward.
  The landing housed large meeting and congragative areas.  These were likely where the nobles of the fort oversaw its operation, and possible a dining hall or public entertainment building as well.  The rooms stood empty save for four badly damaged statues, all missing their heads and a random limb or two.
  Following the shaft downward, Kadol bottomed out at the industrial complex of the fort.  Comrised of 25 or 30 smelters, this area still had functioning magma pools that powered the whole affair.  Any dwarves reclaiming this site would be able to instantly get back to work, at least.

There were no tunnels in the fort, nothing to guide him through the mountain range safely.  Had the Barons lied, or was there some other reason he was sent here?  Gods only knew when it came to the nobility.  They were always willing to let some other soul do the hard work and risk their own neck.

Spoiler: Crundles (click to show/hide)
  Heading back to the smashed hole in the shaft, Kadol climbed back into it.  It headed up to the north, and downwards to the east.  Heading north first, Kadol found himself in a mazelike cavern.  Dropping his speed further, Kadol wandered along the outside of the shaft, easy to find due to its blocky smooth stone.  good.  nothing was in the area.  Exploring further, Kadol found a pack of crundles to the north and a reacher to the east.  Both threats were dispatched with well-aimed slashes from his dagger.
Spoiler: Reacher (click to show/hide)
To the south was a second pack of crundles (that were chased into GCS webs and shanked), and to the west a magma pillar spread out.  Plump helemt men basked in the heat, and although they seemed wary of his presence made no moves to flight or flee.
  Ignoring the PHM, Kadol wandered back to the passage and headed downwards.  Emerging at the bottom of a natural ramp, Kadol was awe-struck by the enormous mushrooms of every imaginable color.  He was so entranced that he almost failed to see a gremlin fleeing from a green quadruped with tentacles lining its mouth.  Drawing his dagger, Kadol slashes off the tentacles and slaughters the beast.

The gremlin slowly came out form hiding behind a rock pillar.  Keeping outside Kadol's reach, the creature began taunting Kadol, calling out insults and challenging Kadol to a duel but keeping out of range.  In a fit of  frustration Kadol ran at it and swiped.  The creature submitted, and agreed to follow Kadol.  Together they set off the explore tha cave.
Spoiler: My Buddy (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:06:08 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 05:11:11 pm »

001A-03

Spoiler: Mogwai (click to show/hide)
  Giving the gremlin a copper spear, Kadol named it Mogwai.  Mogwai accompanied Kadol as he explored the cavern.  As part of their results, they find a massive pillar of raw adamantine!  That of course almost confirms that they had found the 3rd cavern, not the second like they had previously assumed.
Spoiler: Adamantine (click to show/hide)
  East of the tunnel, Mogwai made friends with a gorlak.  They started chatting, and then I stabbed it in the face.  Mogwai broke out in tears, ran into the corner, and curled up on the floor.  Once she calmed down they finished the exploration of the cavern and then slept topside for the night.

Traveling east and south the following day, the pair comes upon Utterbusts; last remaining populated fortress of Kumil Nosig.  It was here that all the hillocks came to trade; all four of them.  Stopping to check for supplies,  we enter the area to the Trade Depot.  instantly a human and dwarf run after Mogwai, intent of killing the skulking beast.  She runs off, and once Kadol noticed that they refused to step outside the protection of the roof, traded for a silver slicing knife in exchange for his green devourer meat.
Spoiler: Utterbusts (click to show/hide)
  Business concluded and with worry about Mogwai's health, Kadol finds his companion and they travel until dusk, when they sleep until morning.  On the third day, Kadol and Mogwai pass by the fortress of Stakestones.

All of the stories from Kumil Nosig seem to be grime, but Stakestones more than most.  Harassed by Titan since its inception, Stakestones was cleaned out by a goblin raiding party in 92, repopulated the following year, and then pillaged again in 99 by the elves.  The elves made a point after their attack when one of the them drowned a surviving militia member as a grisly execution.  Now 11 dwarves staff the outpost, watching for when Kumil Nosig might reclaim the southern half of the Mighty Mountain.
Spoiler: Elf Execution (click to show/hide)
  A short walk from Stakestone is the barren and destroyed mountainhome of Tombdances.  Still mostly structurely sound, the fort has been picked over through the years, so that nothing on the surface remained to take.  Heading down, Kadol found the King of Kumil Nosig resting in a throne room casually.  He was alone, and even stated his preference for such when asked.
Spoiler: King's Lament (click to show/hide)

After talking to the King, Kadol and Mogwai agreed to settle in the nearby fort of Stakestones; to help defend it.  They settled down and prepared for duty.
Spoiler: Mogwai is a Pleasure (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kadol's Legends (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mogwai's Legends (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:22:09 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 10:13:55 am »

Intermission

-A few sites get reclaimed.
-The humies declare war on the merlocks.
-The humies declare war on the elves.
-A full update when there's more than 2 weeks worth of stuff to show.
Spoiler: Legends mode timeline (click to show/hide)

So, its pretty clear that the dying civ is the choice.  Which is fine, although I would have chosen a more geographically centered civ.  Kumil Nosig is mostly isolated, with the elves their nearest neighbors.  As the Overseer, I'm tasked with discussing the possible locations of a strategic fort now.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:24:11 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 02:03:57 pm »

The following fort is built along the pass between the Mighty Mountain that Kumil Nosig uses as an anchor and the Prestigious Horns.  It is a flat, calm swampland that would likely make a good surface-fort; although I don't feel particularly up for that, I do want a large enclosed space topside.  Or a castle . . .

002F-00 03Slate100

On 17Granite100, we set off as planned.  Still unsanctioned by our Hermit King, I, as Overseer of Kumil Nosig, have decided that in these dire straits deperate measures were required.
We need ore, metal which we can use to defend ourselves.  We have almost no iron left in the kingdom; what little we had is lying on the battlefields now.
  I have spent the last 6 months in consort with several of the remaining nobility.  We have discussed what amounts to technical treason, though we do it for love of our people not spite for the king.  We need a location that provides metal, flux, is defensible, and provides a distraction to the elves.  Such a location simply does not exist.  We cant find metal in the mountains, the plains and hills around the elves are indefensible, the promising locations up north will not attract the elves, and the woodlands and other strategic locations are not quite defensible in the classic sense.
  Therefore, it was after much deliberation that The Murk of Lights was chosen.  Though not ideal, the swamp provided the hint of ore at the cost of an aquifer.  Still, it had its own merit if one were to think outside the usual puzzlebox.
Spoiler: Location (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Regional resources (click to show/hide)

Meeting the seven recruits in the dawn, the volunteers and I headed to the Murk of Lights, the swampy land between the two peaks, and make camp there.  Though heavily forested, the land should give a proper military a decisive advantage in responding to threats attempting to pass by in either direction, and although still pre-emptive the move would allow us to take back the southern portion of the Mighty Mountain.
  We will embark with the equivelent of a civilian militia, all trained in self-defense and a hunter to clear out the natural life.  Without their sounds distracting us we should be able to hear the elves coming, we hope.  The critters won't attack the elves anyhow.

This is first and foremost a mining operation, and we are bringing an iron anvil gratiously gifted to us by a baron looking to land a child of his.  We plan to have an extensive presence on the surface, but hardly a human one.
  Now called the Furnaces of Cremating, we stand for vengance against the elves. Here at Medtobilbad, we slaughter every last beast and burn every tree we can!  Long live Blockadepraises!

-Volunteers-
I pulled together a fair team, if I don't say so myself.  none of them are masters of their crafts, but all recieved rudimentary weapons training, and all have potential should they survive to work for it.

Spoiler: Lor Emenzulgar, Miner (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Adil Olinbidok, Farmer (click to show/hide)

-Supplies-
We have brought as much as we could scavange or pry from the hands of our sponsers.  Excluding the wagon and its pack animals, that includes:

-cow tripe (10)  -cow sweetbread (10)  -cow meat (10)
-dwarven wine (15)  -dwarven ale (32)  -dwarven beer (15)  -dwarven rum (15)
-plump helmet spawn (10)  -pig tail seeds (10)  -cave wheat seeds (4)  -sweet pod seeds (4)  -rock nuts (4)  -dimple cup spawn (10)
-iron anvil (1)  -coke (3)  -bronze bars (15)
-cow leather (3)  -cave spider silk thread (10)
-lye (2)
-fungiwood logs (6)  -gabbro (30)

-dog, F (4)  -dog, M (1)
-cat, F (1)  -cat, M (1)

Spoiler: Supplies (click to show/hide)

We arrived on-site on the third of Slate.  Ere the dingoes get hungrey!
Spoiler: Mappy (click to show/hide)
Mappy
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:34:31 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 05:37:10 pm »

002F-01 03Slate - 28Obsidian100

As the wagon pulled to a stop on the edge of a ring of marshponds, our clothier set off to collect the scattered recluse spider webs.  We plan to make a large surface compund that houses most of our goods in several buildings, so the basic layout and dimensions are planned out, using the ponds as rough edges.  Bronze weapons are immediately smithed and contruction of pipes and screws begun.
  Testing the ground with staircases, it is discovered that the aquifer lay but 3 levels below ground.  Just enough for a 1-layer corkscrew and to dig out habitations and far.  There was also sandstone at z-2 and sand z-1.  The native shallow ore is copper, which almost caused the entire operation to collaspe right there.  But what would we do if we didnt keep going?

Digging a farm level in sand, the miner is instructed to create a large storage and industry area beneath it.  The farms were completed 1 day before summer, so we were unable to plant spring crops.  We could have tried to plant them fast in the summer, but some of them would not have matured before fall.  Settling for cave wheat, the farmer plants all four seeds and then collects the plethra of plants that grew wildly.   The weaponsmith was able to begin wood burning, and due to the clothier's sudden bounty and the hunter's inability to hunt the capybaras that frequent the area  we ending ups ending him to cook.  He cooked all our booze and a premature well had to be dug.  For shame.  It looks like we will need to establish a proper squad before depopulation can commence.  On the bright side, at least we won't need to set up bird wires as there seems to be no avian life present.
Spoiler: Bird Wire (click to show/hide)

About a month after landing we spot some fungus growing on the sandy cave floors . . . can you believe it?  Some spores must have escaped the caverns and found their way into the air!  Praises be, we have no immediate use for it but  its always helpful to know we could design a quick subsoil pature and it would grow before it was dry.  We've also begun glass production.  We had an unfortunate ordeal wherein the trees felled above the farms actually left holes in the ceiling, redering many farm tiles useless.  The new plan is to create 2 new farming plots from the cork falling into the aquifer, and use this one as a greenhouse.  Yea.
  Speaking of the aquifer, we've decided that we have sufficient supplies above it to make piercing it a general goal rather than a prioty.  We have copper, glass, stone, food, and the caravans.  And of course I doubt the elves are going to find their way into the caves.

We have, however, begun digging out the cork and the farms.

6 Migrants came along late summer, amoung them a glass worker, chef, warrior, and bookkeeper.  The barons had promised to send help, but with only 91 dwarves living in our lands who knew how many to expect.  The population of Medtobilbad is now 24 dwarves.

The liason/caravan arrives in Autumn with a knife user named Kadol, the caravan, and several healthy is untrained recruits.  The caravan had booze and anvils, which we purchaused with quality wheelbarrows and sent them on their way.
Spoiler: Mountainhome Requests (click to show/hide)
  The liason told us what the Civ would pay handsomely for.   Ammunnition, battle axes, splints, waterskins, shields, wooden crafts, anvils, and thread.  We need to produce a real wartime surplus for them.  And extra wooden crafts :)
  Bidding farewell, the liason left us with the knowledge that at the least we haven't lost any more settlements to the damnable elves.

Spoiler: Corking out (click to show/hide)
  In moonstone the carpenter entered a mood and created a unique splint!  Worth a whopping 5 thousands urists, this splint shall be used to set the most horrific of simple fractures.  Glad we got it.  We were all so estatic that we ignored it and have begun to punch through the aquifer.  Pumps have been set up now.
Spoiler: The Drop (click to show/hide)

We've pierced it!  Draining all the water from the steps, we have begun tunneling under the ground into what looks like granite.  Galena pocks the wall occassionally, so at least we can have some nice heavy hammers.
Spoiler: To Pierce an Aquifer (click to show/hide)

The wells have frozen!  We had 2 wells constructed in the hole the aquifer left, but it seems that the area freezes for about 2 weeks in Opal.  We still havent seen any rain, but we havent needed any in this moist swamp anyhow.
  Setting an armopr stand into the seed stockpile, I've set the militia members to either practice on their own or spend time pumping air for strength.  Now that it is the second year, we must be prepared for the elves.

End of Year Overview
Spoiler: Attribuites (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Units (click to show/hide)

Mappy
Spoiler: Farms (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Shallow Sand Farm (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dorms (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:13:06 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 08:29:34 pm »

002F-02  101AA, Fortress year 02

This year, we began topside construction.  Starting with the fortification of the Fortress, we built a building around our floor hatches.   We then planned a wall around the complex, approximately 60x61 in length.  We doubt we will finish before the spring, due to block supplies, but we have begun nevertheless.

Inside those walls, we have established a small archery range and left room for towers.  We have placed green glass blocks over most of the sand farms, and are growing rye, potatoes, asperagus, and a fourth crop to be decided.  We have relocated our Trade Depot inside our planned walls, and dug out an ammo storage area.
Spoiler: Topside pic (click to show/hide)

Under the ground, we have established our hospital, though we have no doctor.  We have begun smoothing the farmer's living quarters.  We built an animal storage area, and deseigned 2 automatic dwarven tubs that should cleanoff any messes.
  We have dug out a mason's area and quarters, and built a small silk collecting sevice.  Under that we have a corpse pile and a military barracks.  The walls that seperates these two rooms has been mined away and replaced with glass windows.

In the 1st cavern there are Fishman tribes.  2 small tribes dwell, but have since been decimated by 2 cave crocs.  We have lost 1 dwarf to a croc when she surpassed our traps and ate a new migrant.  we keep an eye out in the caverns but otherwise rely upon our traps and land management to keep us safe.
Spoiler: Cave Croc (click to show/hide)

The carvan came, and traded us booze, leather, metal, and cloth for our war gear, at least 3 of the highest quality pieces of all articles of war went to the caravan, helping to feed the war machine.
  The liason informed us that Stakestones was taken by the Elves.  With this loss we have less to defend here . . .
We repeated our requests for metal goods, and was informed that most iron goods had been in Stakestones.  We could expect iron to be few and far in between.
Spoiler: Trade Agreement (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Weredeer Foramen (click to show/hide)
  A weredeer attacked, but we had our militia stationed topside.  It dodged bolts and shattered the nail of one of our recruits.  I told her to take some time in the cavern the next month, and when she gave birth to a healthy baby boy we allowed her back inside, cleared of the curse.
Spoiler: Babby (click to show/hide)

In sandstone our bookkeeper Dodek became the mayor.  A good as choice as any.  Dodek is also an expert bone crafter, and we have been using his talents to craft bone bolts for the hunters, who to date have only hunted 1 giant cave swallow.

Life in Medtobilbad is generally boring, and shapeless.  I have established a council to help design rooms and fortress structures as a whole.  Hopefully together we can overcome the lazy monotony that has slipped over the calm swamp of Lights . . .
Spoiler: Military pic (click to show/hide)
Mappy from end of year 02
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:37:07 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 02:38:06 pm »

002F-03  102A.A., Fortress Year 03

On Granite 5 a siege came form the north.  It wasn't the elves, but goblins; 2 small squads seeking to test our strength.  They caught our hunter topside, and killed him and his dog.  We called all military forces topside while they chased capybaras around the edge of the fort.  We unpastured the livestock outside, and a goose and a mule managed to crawl inside before the closest goblin squad managed to do more than maim them.  We managed to smother the squad with minimal casualties and reset our trap for the second squad.
Spoiler: Ambush the ambushers (click to show/hide)
  This fight was much messier.  The goblins ran blindly for the unconcious mule within our gate, and we managed to blindside them, but with their large pikes we were less than capable of handling them.  We lost 4 consctipts to the fighting, but only a single goblin bowman was able to escape.  A search of the compund revealed that he was busy taking potshots at a guard who was on top of the wall for whatever reason.  The guard should survive, at least.
Spoiler: Guard (click to show/hide)
  The battle was carried by Kadol the retired adventurer.  With 7 kills so far this year, Kadol's wounds are some smashed fingers and a bruised spine.  Although we are concerned, he should make a full recovery, and walked off to training.
Spoiler: Kadol's Log (click to show/hide)
  The other significant injuries were the maiming of the Captain of the Guard's hand and the tearing of the weaponsmith's lungs.  His lung was improperly sutured by our animal trainers, and on occassion he stops what he is doing due to extreme pain or even a lingering infection . . .  How terrible to be forging or partying and just collaspe.  So far he has overcome any infections, however.

2 weeks later, we began installing the glass bridges . . .

Spoiler: Garnerite (click to show/hide)
  In the summer, we began digging out the planned mason's well cistern.  We struck Garnerite, the only known source of nickel.  We have since set up a smelter and begun to smelt out the nickel for use in mundane furniture.  We have already collected over 100 bars of lead from galena and made a few high quality chairs and tables for the nobility we will soon have to cater to.

Packs of trogs have begun to move into the cavern level 1.  We have tolerated their presence thus far, but one got shredded by dogs and its corpse has been scarring dwarves too lazy to put it in the trash room.  Sending out the Hinfantry alpha squad to dispatch a paricularly long-staying pack, 5 recruits rushed into combat, skillfully dodge troglodyte blows - right into the water.  They all fell from the 1-tile wide bridge and into the cave water.  Only one managed to climb out, the other four drowned, leaving their exceptional quality copper greaves and breastplates sitting at the bottom of the lake :'(

A cat adopted a baby dwarf, which was our first animal adoption on-site.
Spoiler: Cat's babby (click to show/hide)

In the fall another weredeer came to our fort, this time dragging a furnace operator to his watery doom, along with the copper nugget he was hauling.  Poor beard, at least he was avenged and his spirit memorialized.
  The caravan arrived soon after, its guards killing capybara packs as they move along.  We trade knowledge and weapons for their booze and metal.  We part knowing that at least no further sites have fallen.

In Opal a second goblin siege arrived, 2 complete squads of goblins and a pack trolls.  they catch Lor the S7 miner and his dog outside.
Spoiler: Siege (click to show/hide)
Lor wisely fled while his dog bought him time.  one goblin pursued him halfway across the map, landing grazing hits every so often.  Good thing we had trained him to dodge!
  It became apparent to us watching from the walls that we would be unable to safely assist him, and one mistake from him would cost him his life.  Ordering the gates east and west shut, we told him to kill the goblin with his pick and run to the south gate.

Turning to his goblin pursuer, Lor parried its copper great axe with his left hand and stabbed his copper pick into its leg, fracturing the bone.  Still holding the axe by its blade, Lor takes off north in a panic, eventually stopping long enough to throw down his pick and pry his hand from the axe.  He then more calmly made his way south as the goblins once again swept north chasing after capybaras.
Spoiler: Miner 49er (click to show/hide)
  The doctors say he lost his dexterity in that hand, but he survived, and even stood with the military to fight off the second goblin ambush.

The first goblin battle occured at the south gate, as a goblin lasher and his friends caught themsleves in 1 of the 2 cage traps.  We simply mustered by the gate and rushed them when it fell open.  We then pulled back inside with no more lose than a dog, whose corpse flew so high when the bridge shut we lost sight of it!
Spoiler: Siege 2 Fight 1 (click to show/hide)

The second siege was of our initiaitive rather than our oppurtunity.  One of the goblins of the second squad was chasing capybaras around merrily.  One suddenly struck back, and he fell into the pond in suprise.  Being an aquatic critter, it followed him in and presumably ate him.
Spoiler: Haha (click to show/hide)
  The trolls met a fortunate end as the wandered into our weapon traps when trying to destroy the thick green glass bridges.  Loaded with 5 glass spikes apiece, the traps tore through the troll's large clothing and more fractured bones than caused punctures.  We captured a wounded troll and a healthy one in our 2 cage traps.

We assembled beind the wall of the east gate again, and opened our door.  Charging at the goblins as they wandered into sight, our recruits fought with valor, but without skill or real metal they were too easily lost.  5 dwarves were felled by as many goblins, and the remainder turned to flee.  Sending out our squads caught them both at the cost of another life, as an iron arrow found a dwarven heart.
  Our Hinfantry alpha squad was all but destroyed in the fight.  only 2 survive, and the leader of it was left crumpled on the battle field.  She did not survive long enough to make it to the hospital.
Spoiler: The loss of a captain (click to show/hide)
  The Bravo squad fared little better, with only Kadol suviving.  We appointed him as head of all melee troops.  He is still under the Crossbowdwarf Vutok, who commands all the forces.  We have yet to replace our CotG.

The new year saw us pierce a second cavern, the second deepest if one is to believe the downward passage we have spotted.  We have established basic baroness quarters, and became a barony of The Armory of Brushes.  We are the only settlement populated enough to support a Trade Depot, and our settlement is the only thing still keeping this civilization together.
Spoiler: Jobs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: (not) Wealth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Metal Supplies (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Artifact (Text) (click to show/hide)

The baroness is missing a tomb, but her other demands are currently met.

*A note to investigate why the goblin Snudob Nightmarecylones was blinking pink at us*
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:27:07 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stream of Time: 103 A.A: Blockadepraises
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 04:21:20 pm »

002F-04  103A.A., Fortress Year 04

A cave crawler in the deepest cavern and a cave croc in the 1st cavern strike out at a weaver and fisher, respectively.  We muster a force to kill the VCC, but the croc intelligently hides in the depths of the cavern lake.  We have dubbed it 'Thocitnanir'.
Spoiler: Thocitnanir (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: siege (click to show/hide)
  In early Hematite the goblins return for their third siege.  The force is perhaps 30 strong, with a large portion of it consisting of hardly clothed foreign troops.  Given a metal mask to hide their faces, these troops came into battle wearing rags and without weapon.  They are sadly the probable result of child kidnappers.  While we rejoice that there were no dwarven children amoungst the besiegers we could not help but cry out at the cruel methods that were assuredly used to twist these children into bloodthirsty and desperate monsters.
   The savage creatures were sent over the walls one at a time, launching themselves at the closest critter, be it civilian, animal, or militadwarf.  Those unarmed monsters proved no threat, but an occasional bowgoblin would snipe at our forces when they could muster the courage to face us.  We have left at least 2 squads topside at all times as a result of this behavior.
Spoiler: Over the walls, 1x1! (click to show/hide)

Below, we have spotted the sphereoid shapes of the caccodemon in the caverns.  We investigated the downward passage and found it dead-ended a short way, so we can only conclude that this is the third cavern we have struck.  The caccodemon attacked our best animal trainer and his personal pet, then wandered inside the fortress access tunnel, chasing the chief medical dwarf intil a pack of dogs proved more intimidating.  It took a scrambled seabee to finish it off, but by then it had already eaten 4 more dogs and a few lambs that were pastured.

Spoiler: inevi (click to show/hide)
  Back topside, a Roc had smelled out the filthy goblins and attacked them.  inevi Ethedaecu Are Ethithi, the famed killer of our cousin's monarch, had been known to nestle in our range for quite some time, but had never really bothered us too much.  The roc attacked an armed merlock squad, ripping the head clean off one and plucking the eye from another before it had its wings sliced off.  It managed to gut a third merlock before its death, but we lost an oppurtunity that day.
Spoiler: Death of Roc (click to show/hide)
  Though our more thorough explorations of the caverns we found a magma pipe that extended to the bottom of the world.  We cleaned away the excess from the area, securing the one entrance left with cage traps.  A pack of crundles kept bothering the engineers, so we send t a squad after them.  one recruit is now missing, and assumed to have fallen into the pipe itself.

Towards the end of summer a human diplomat arrived.  His arrival meant the goblins were gone, and we set about large-scale tidying up of the surface.  Finishing up buildings and digging out proper rooms for out stockpiles, we are making large strides towards making our courtyards defensible.
  The human diplomat was excited to share every detail of the human's court politics, but we had little to share of our own.  Humoring the creature, we were finally rid of him after hearing about the uptenth revolution and attmepted assassination attmept.  What we do for good trading partners, eh?

The dwarven caravan arrived as he was leaving, and the liason appointed us a duchy of the mountainhomes.  Great, except our mountainhome is abandoned.  Still, this marks us as the most important site left in the kingdom, and we shall do our best to earn that title now.
  We exported our best armors, and whatever weapons we could spare in exchange for all the metal we could obtain.  In addition, we exported almost 20 thousand urists in wooden crafts alone, quite a feat if I don't say so ourselves.

While the broker was dickering with the merchants, some real work was finally done to dig out and smooth our arena.  It has a containment pit, an arena proper, an exercise room, a pool, a training room, and the arena itself.  As well as the containment room, of course.  And all of it is protected by our best and bravest.  The tombs are being dug as we speak, and we have extended our plumbing to water the cleared away plateaus that we have created for our cavern entrances.  We will have grazer there, or so we plan.

In the winter, 2 forgotten beasts of the depths arrived at our fort.  one was a dead monster of unknown discription.  One might ask how we know it was here and how we know its dead.  Well, we know it dead because we cant find the body.  Duh.
  The other, a green glass spider with a rounded shell named 'Rohin', is haunting the first caverns, making false charges at our entrance before receding back towards the mysterious far shore.  We have since begun working on contructing a path to that shore, so we can spy on the spider, but we can only assume it keeps finding meals over there.  For now we can do nothing but station troops and wait.  But, at the very least the spider's presence has spooked the local wildlife.  Thocitnanir has run into a cage trap after eating a giant olm and several pond grabbers.  and both he and Rohin are wisely leaving the quite muscular cavemfishmen alone.  The female wields an unassuming club and the male a spear, but have quite the kill record and seem uninterested in harassing us, so we let them be.
  Thocitnanir will be our first arena contestant, we wage  We already have a breeding pair of crocs, and even have 29 eggs lain.
Spoiler: The arena (click to show/hide)

While waiting for Rohin, our scouts notice that, from the depths, a Giant Fire Snake has emerged!  20 million cm3 in size, this creature is known for its relatively weak attacks.  Relatively meaning for its size; I mean its still large enough to pummel a dwarf and is hot as magma, so it is liable to burn anything it touches.
  Well, anywho, the fire snake came out of the pipe, and actually burnt its way through our cage traps.  We stations marksdwarves on our platform, but it seemed more interested in wandering around than killing us.  Good.
  A goblin, Stasost, escaped from his cage topside and chased down a furnace worker.  Killing him and a dog with a silver spear, the creature was soon hacked with an iron axe.  His escape smacks of kobolds, who are known to be mischievious in nature.  Buggers.

Spoiler: Rohin's Log (click to show/hide)
  Rohin made his move at the end of the year.  Trying to sneak into the fort without confronting our militia, an adriti returning to duty shouted the alarm and it started spewing webs at us!  With its attention turned to the adriti it left its backside exposed the the rain of iron and steel weaponry we cherished, and it was soon crippled.  Flailing its massive legs around, it struck a guard in the stomache and broke her spine.  We'll see how she recovers . . .

She is apparently fine.  Recieving suturing, she is walking to her training post!  Amazing!
As amazing, we have discovered that snow will stick above the ground ^-^  Our buildings have accumulated dustings of snow!
Spoiler: snow (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Topside now (click to show/hide)

Mappy
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:49:34 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 05:49:33 pm »

002F-05  01Granite104 - 20Limestone104; Fortress year 05

Spoiler: Trap (click to show/hide)
  Lasecayatha the Forgotten Beast made of coral came into our first cavern today.  It swam towards us with its 4 powerful limbs, spewing dust every so often that killed the fish in the surrounding water even before the dust cleared.  It seemed to deviate from its course occasionally to grab a bite to eat, giving us time to dig out a trap.  2 traps in one, really.  It is essentially a 7x7 room with a roof that is supported by a trapped pillar.  There is a door inside that that room, and a second door leading to that room.  The hallway leading to the latter door is cage-trapped, and a semi-wild giant cave spider was placed behind it.  The plan is that when the beast bashes down the door it will get webbed and we can dispose of it any way we please.
  The preperation for the plan went well, over the next month.  Just as we were installing the last cage, however, we heard its roars as it climbed upon our land.  Time was up.
Recalling everyone inside, we raise the bridge, leaving the mechanic who refused to drop the green glass cage and a herbologist who was trapped by a growing tree between the lake and massive stoen stalactites.
Spoiler: Death (click to show/hide)

The beast slaughters the livestock left outside to draw it, chases down the strayying dwarves, and bashes down the door.  The spider immediately set upon the beast, however its hard composition proved too tough for the spider.  It managed to fracture a leg before it bled out of every pore.  When the dust cleared, Lasecayatha was bashing on the interior door, and all the webs slung by the spider were destroyed by the corrosive FB dust.  With nothing left to gain from the  affair, we pulled the lever and the floor crushed the beast.
  Cleanup of the plateau has been suspended permanently, as the whole thing is smothered in the chalky dust.  Ironically, the spider corpse and the FB itself were clean of the dust, cleansed by thr diorite stone dust from the cave-in.  We reset the trap and wept for our dead, whose bodies were forbidden to us for sanitation reasons.

In the early summer we dropped Thocitnanir into the arena put.  It bruised its guts from the 6 zlevel fall, so we started with crundles.  those that were not knocked unconcious from the fall were impaled upon the green glass spikes we set up, but the wild troll wer dropped in  fare somewhat better.  No match for a cave croc, however.
  After, we've dropped in more crundles, 2 of which have managed to survive the croc's wrath, and now eek out an existance by crawling around on the ground and generally acting submissive to the monster.
  goblins were dropped in full-gear, but they were often stunned by the fall so that their death was all but assured.  In the future I'll have to make seperate containment pits and bridges to let the critters out when they ar capable of fighting back properly.

A minor Forgotten beast arrives, something something the spittle-spitting thing.  Made of flesh, the first thing the creature did was attack a family of magma crabs, who set it afire.  2 of the crabs survived the incident out of the 4.
Spoiler: Fire (click to show/hide)
Missing most of its blood and fat, the creature was easy to kill, although it ambushed 2 miners when I wasn't looking.

In the early fall a wereass appeared.  It mauled 4 dwarves, a lumberdwarf, an adriti, an animal trainer, and a pleb.  2 of the four died instantly, while we took the suriving pleb and adriti to the hospital.  After they were treated for their missing hand and mangled hip respectively, we sent them into the cavern, and stationed the military around them as 'war games'.  I don't think they even knew they would turn before they were put to the sword.
Spoiler: werebeasty (click to show/hide)

When the caravans rolled around, they informed us that our practice of putting corpses outside in the open was too barbaric, and would have to change.  They took off, spooked.  The liason reported more kidnapping, and a general peace of affairs.  Upon his behest I, the Overseer of Kumil Nosig, am to report back with him for a new assignment.  I suspect it has to do with the lack of iron in the area, but who knows?
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 06:46:56 pm »

Iconic and Frequently Mentioned Dwarves

Spoiler: Lor Emenzulgar, Miner (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Adil Olinbidok, Farmer (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:51:43 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 09:42:07 am »

So in the 5 years since we left the world map, a few things have changed.  Pics will be added in later, but the humans have cranked their wars up some, with subgroups and individual local governments going on campaigns against their neighbors.  Utterbusts, the fortress that was established/reclaimed by the Muthkat Gidur from the south, is an example of intraspecies diplomacy; it appears that their southern cousins have no faith in the remnants of our glorious civilization.  They have taken to accepting refugees; although this allows for a steady stream of migrants from their civ who migrate into our own lands.
  We will follow one dwarf who will migrate from the southern peaks of the Barb of Cobras to Utterbusts in the Mighty Mountain.  We want to kill time for the remaider of the year.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:01:42 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 04:51:53 pm »

003A-00  Sandstone, 104

onul packed the last of the thripes brain into the barrel.  It was hard work to dissect insects for parts.  Thrips don't even have brains, really, just a centralized cluster of nerves; but nevertheless it was removed, pickled, and stuck into the barrel like all the other food for the expidition.  Wiping the sweat off her close-set brows, onul worked her crimp out and then got up to go off to her bed.  This was the last night it would be hers, she reflected as she nestled into her favorite groove in the hard stone bedframe.
Spoiler: skills and attribuites (click to show/hide)

The morning was blessed.  The forecast was supposed to be overcast in the morning, with a chance to clear up mid-day.  Grumbling, onul sat up and grabbed a syrup biscuit.  She prefered light breakfasts, especially with the long walk ahead of her, but the taste of masterworked pastries couldn't be beaten.  Taking her time, onul nibbled on the hardened bread on her way to the Trade Depot, where she could be expected to gather.

Spoiler: Description (click to show/hide)
  Opening the hatch cover that lead out to the world, onul saw a brilliant blue sky, lite by the blinding sun, onul's first concern only crept up upon her as she made hwer way to the gathering point:  If she was supposed to meet the caravan at dawn, why was the sun almost directly above her?  Gasping in a fright, onul ran to the mayor and asked him for a status report.  Looking up from his ledger, the mayor put on a smirk that said he already knew.
  'You've missed your caravan, haven't you onul?  If you were more industrious you would have been up on time.  They left you; the world goes on even if you don't.'
  -'B- But-'
  'No 'butts', onul.  Now, I see here in my ledger that you no longer rent the hillocks on Abbeydwells hill.  If you can find a group to rent it with you may stay, but otherwise you are no longer a resident of Pickvises.  Goodday, Onul.'
  -'Mayor, I ca-'
  'If you are looking for work, we need somebody to deal with that tower, Skulllivid.  you're a decent hammerdwarf; if you can save us from the undead threat I'd give you 6 months rent free.'
Spoiler: Mayor (click to show/hide)

6 months rent for killing a legion of undead and their masters; 'what a scam', onul sighed as she walked back to her hillocks, gathered up her leather boots, leather cloak, steel warhammer, and iron shield and departed southward.
Spoiler: Mappy (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:57:01 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 03:28:18 pm »

003A-01  Sandstone

Traveling south directly through the forest infested with elves, onul skips trough retreats until she passes by 2 camps with pitched tents of opposing colors outside Heatherwrinkled.  The site has been the location of fierce fighting recently.  In the summer the humans had taken the site over and begun to deforest the area, forcing the peasant elves to log their trees and export their native wildlife in steak form.  Counter-resistance efforts have supposedly included recruiting humans sympathetic to their way of life as well as even approaching the necromancers of the tower of Skulllivid.  One shuddered to think the lengths these terrorists would do to take back their lands.

The tent to the southwest bore the flag of the Kingdom of Imprisonment.  These forces kept watch over the interment camp of the Flowery Skin.  Leaving them to sneak a peak at the tent of the lead elf, a 'druid' if onul wasn't mistaken, onul is interupted by a groggy moan as a human dressed in elven wargear shambled out of its tent and attacked!
Spoiler: Camp (click to show/hide)
  As it closed, the human notched and fired wooden arrows at onul in a haphazard manner.  This critter wasn't alive, onul quickly realized, but some sort of tamed monstrosity!  It must have been guarding the elves as they slept, and onul's presence offended it.  Dodging and blocking the arrows, onul tried several times to rip the quiver from its back, only to be thrown off its back and onto the gorund each time.  A flash of inspiration overtook her, and she instead strove to remove the arrows from the quiver instead of the quiver from the zombie.
Spoiler: Arrow removal (click to show/hide)
  This worked much better, and allowed the zombie to focus upon striking with its laughably soft wooden bow instead of shooting its laughable arrows.  onul took to backpedaling and throwing the arrows at her attacker.  At least, she did until it gnashed her lower leg to a pulp.

Immediately passing out for a second, onul awoke to find the human zombie lying on top of her, nibbling a little to hard on her ear.  Shaking its head around, the ear shredded off and onul began desparately scrambing towards a nearby tree down a hill.  At least two times during her crawl the zombie kicked her in the spleen, and the resulting pain she felt paralysed her long enough for the zombie to get a few punches in.  Several times her leather helmet saved her life, and that the creature seemed to insist upon using its wooden bow also helped some.  Eventually, onul was able to crawl out of sight of the zombie, who instantly went into a passive slumber when it lost site of her.  She crept off slowly so as to not attract its attention with sounds.
Spoiler:  LOS Fast-Travel (click to show/hide)

Onul needed to rest, and perhaps get her ear treated.  she made her way to Heatherwrinkled itself, scratching idly at an ear that was no longer present.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 [2] 3