Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 217507 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2015, 02:21:33 am »

Armored cars, patrol boats, heavy machine guns like the Stallion and artillery. Tanks, rail mounted (or similar sized) artillery, are expensive. Tiger tanks or the Maus are very expensive. Mecha Godzilla is Too Expensive.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2015, 02:23:37 am »

I must have spent... like, an hour reading the Arstotzka thread before tallying up the vote to be for a tank. Then an hour writing. While feeling tired watching Harold and Kumar in the background, anyways. I'd say that's an off day but it's more like a personal weakness. And the reason you'll never see a game like this with every nation in the Papers, Please universe.
Only 1 person actually wanted that Tank though, so I don't know how that happened.

Now that Arstotzka has 3 Ore, what can we make without it being Expensive?
Not a tank, apparently.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2015, 02:23:46 am »

Armored cars, patrol boats, heavy machine guns like the Stallion and artillery. Tanks, rail mounted (or similar sized) artillery, are expensive. Tiger tanks or the Maus are very expensive. Mecha Godzilla is Too Expensive.
"1 Ore. Large weapons are Expensive."

What exactly is a large weapon, then? If not a machine gun like the Stallion and artillery, then what?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2015, 02:24:32 am »

I must have spent... like, an hour reading the Arstotzka thread before tallying up the vote to be for a tank. Then an hour writing. While feeling tired watching Harold and Kumar in the background, anyways. I'd say that's an off day but it's more like a personal weakness. And the reason you'll never see a game like this with every nation in the Papers, Please universe.
Only 1 person actually wanted that Tank though, so I don't know how that happened.
At least 3 people wanted that tank, maybe more.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2015, 02:24:50 am »

Bwahahahaha. Arstotzkan bureaucracy strikes once more!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2015, 02:26:05 am »

Only if you tremendously overinterpret their posts.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2015, 02:27:17 am »

Bwahahahaha. Arstotzkan bureaucracy strikes once more!
So do our mortars, are carbines, our Nosin sharpshooters, our spy...

Speaking of spies, do spies get better as they successfully complete missions? Arstotzka's spy has probably gained a lot of experience what with all of his successful missions.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2015, 04:00:52 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:36:05 am by Andres »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2015, 05:01:33 am »

Speaking of spies, do spies get better as they successfully complete missions? Arstotzka's spy has probably gained a lot of experience what with all of his successful missions.
No. For reasons known only to them, Arstotzka prefers spies with crippling learning disorders. Don't question it, it's worked so far.

Only if you tremendously overinterpret their posts.
Enough of that. On a related note, I would like to ask all of your to bold your votes in your threads, for easier tallying.

"1 Ore. Large weapons are Expensive."

What exactly is a large weapon, then? If not a machine gun like the Stallion and artillery, then what?
The stallion is large. The Artillery is Large x2, methinks, and requires 3 ore to cease being expensive due to size. Again, havine expensive artillery is not bad. Having expensive tanks is not bad either. In fact, having cheap tanks would be like Shermans, where you might see five teaming up to kill one Panzer. The notion of an inexpensive tank in WWI era is pretty unfeasible, unless maybe it's powered by treadmills instead of an engine. Certainly the size/resource system could do with being hammered out more clearly. Not tonight though.

Some important announcements:
The country with the most glorious flag by the 1916 Battle Report will receive an extra spy. If there are multiple flags submitted for a country, citizens must nominate one as theirs. Do take care to keep your spy alive, they will not be automatically replaced.

The Great Nation of Antegria, aligned with the Central Powers, is looking to purchase the rights to a machine gun design to produce domestically. Payment is 1 oil each year until 1920. May earn you a bad reputation with the Allies. Submissions due by 1916 Battle Report.

Lastly, I would like to make a PSA that sometimes, you just need to redesign. Weapons that suffer from large form factor, in particular, are easier replaced that modified. After a few years of making X type of gun, you just get somewhat better at it.

1915 Battle Report

Arstotzka's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moskurg's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The two nations are continuing to parallel each other, this time each has developed vehicles. Unusually, it's the Arstotzkans who have gone big, designing the AS-T15 tank based on their steam engine. The Moskurgs (I think I'll start calling them Moskurgs instead of Moskurgians?) developed the Struunk I, an armored car fitted with two machine guns in a configuration similar to modern scout vehicles. The Arstotzkans also upgraded their AS-1910 to use magazines, which will be valuable later, and to be cheaper, which is valuable now.

The treacherous seas are free of ships, and the sky is free of planes and balloons. The ground may never again be free of the roar of motors. Well, some motors, and tank that goes "Chugga chugga chugga chugga CHOO CHOO!"

Today, I shall start us in the jungles. Most fights here are M1 Service Rifle versus Nosin Magant, due to the unreliability of the AS-F14. More plentiful AS-1910 machines square off against more mobile M2 Brumbies. Given the choice between a Stallion and a Brumby, Moskurgs choose the Brumby here. However, Moskurg makes an advance by cutting in-roads to jungle, and patrolling them with a couple Struunks. The Struunk performs reasonable on muddy roads and is the most mobile way for crews to use an M1 Stallion, so it fares well against Arstotzkan scouts. The Arstotzkans don't lose ground, but the Moskurgs push up to them. AS-1910 mags are used, and the drum magazine is, by some miracle, found to be reliable in the jungle wet and heat. In one instance, a Struunk's crew is killed by sidelong Nosin-Magant fire, which penetrated the armor.

In the mountains, the new, cheaper AS-1910 Mag does not become as ubiquitous as hoped, due to the difficult of carrying them. Most soldiers would rather use AS-F14s for supressing fire, than have one soldier carry a gun assembly, and another carry a pair of barrels, both forced to fight with AS-1909's when caught off guard. Less constant fighting and cleaner conditions means that the AS-F14 is more popular here than anywhere else. Soldiers are getting good at reacting to Brumby assaults, but the Brumby remains a fearsome weapon. Stalemate.

The plains are the only area to see the use of the AS-T15. The Struunk sees use as well, but where there are trenches, it is simply ineffective. Moskurg soldiers build small bridges to pass the Struunk over their own trenches, but it cannot cross enemy trenches. Whether charging or parked within combat range, the Struunk has a high profile and is vulnerable to sustained AS-1910 fire, which is now everywhere. Wherever cavalry are effective, the Struunk is twice as much, but cowardly Arstotzkans just dig more trenches. Furthermore, cowardly Arstotzkans are now hiding in metal boxes. A small group of AS-T15s make a lumbering assault, chuffing into the no-man's land and over Moskurg trenches. They are immune to Model 1 Service Rifle fire, especially in the front. With careful planning, the 80mm gun can destroy Stallion emplacements before coming in range. The AS-1910 gunners have to be proactive though, and the tanks need close infantry support. Some Moskurg officers still use the ancient Horsekiller rifle, which has difficulty penetrating the sloped front armor of the AS-T15 but a well-placed shot on the side of the tank can penetrate. One AS-T15 is lost to careful fire with a Horsekiller from the side, which detonated its supply of 80mm shells, destroying the entire tank. Another was caught alone after a Fierce push by Moskurg soldiers left it surrounded: One Moskurg soldier with a horsekiller managed to climb up the front of the tank, then stood on top shooting until all the crew inside were dead (the tank was destroyed by Arstotzkan artillery to prevent its capture). One AS-T15 found itself sharing a patch of open ground with a Struunk 1. The Struunk ran circles around it and killed the AS-T15's crew with its M1 Stallion machine gun- shots towards the boiler were stopped not by the armor, but the coal supply. Despite these losses, almost half the tanks manufactured, the AS-T15s killed or helped kill hundreds of Moskurg soldiers and gained a lot of ground for Arstotzka.

In the world of espionage, secret stuff happens. Or for all you know, it doesn't happen.

Let the 1916 Design phase begin. Good night!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2015, 05:14:35 am »

I'm surprised the horsekiller isn't more effective, given the use of treads on those tanks. One shot and the tank can't move.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2015, 05:18:23 am »

I'm surprised the horsekiller isn't more effective, given the use of treads on those tanks. One shot and the tank can't move.
I think you vastly overestimate the power of that rifle. Late WW1 guns with specially designed ammunition could not even penetrate 20 mm armor except at extremely close range, and those would break the bones of those who would fire them.

In practice, any gun which your soldiers can carry shouldn't succeed in damaging the tank.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2015, 05:23:42 am »

I full-on lol'd at the mention of metal bawkses. :))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2015, 05:28:36 am »

On a side note, I assume that the fact that the increase in artillery (more ore=more guns) not being mentioned is simply because we're running out of hands to fire all the guns?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2015, 05:30:12 am »

The treads, however, are a different matter. They aren't armoured (Unless you want to go no-where.)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2015, 05:36:40 am »

Your gun fires a simple metal bullet. It's not going to hurt the track.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 159