Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 217523 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #255 on: July 27, 2015, 09:56:34 am »

Hrm.  Yeah, that's more 4:1 than 3:2, isn't it?  I'll do another one after the next year.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 27, 2015, 10:03:50 am »

To be honest, I guess the 3:2 thing is more about strategic places than just the raw square footage.

Anyway, Moksburg should really find a weker foe to use their pitiful army against. Maybe if they try hard, they might be able to win against Moksburg, although even that would be surprising.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 27, 2015, 10:20:23 am »

Got some inspiration :)

Excerpts from diary of AS-2010 gunner

January 2010. Arrived to the bootcamp

February 2010.
We got new weapon that will the war for us. It is an incredible machinegun. Somewhat heavy but nothing that trained team can't handle. It is called AS-10, but we call it Austin

June 1910. Finally, after months of training we arrived to the front. Those sword carrying cavary morons will remember my crew for some time. War will be over in few months

July 1910. Encountered enemy machinegun. That pile of shit creates very nasty wounds. We call them horse****s or HDs for short

September 1910. Have seen a HD on enemy abandoned positions. Only an idiot can design such monster. I suspect they compensate something

December 1910. We reached abandoned villages, should we push them out, the war will be over

February 1911. My crew is dead. Damned artillery shell. I am in hospital now. It is overfilled with wounded and no good news from the front.

September 1911. Back to active duty. Arrived to jungles. I am getting mad because of heat.

November 1911. They need to design lighter machinegun for jungle warfare. At least we are not forced to drag HDs through the mud.

March 1912. Life becomes boring. I sit on the wall of the fort almost praying for Moskurg's attack

April 1912. Back to the hospital because of some tropical fever

November 1912. Returned to active duty. It is already snowing. Hope that winter will stall their advance through plains

February 1913. New uniform. If my buddies had helmets back in 1911, they would stay alive. What is more important they fixed our artillery. "Twelves" bring death to the scum and we push them back again.

April 1913. Trenches. Trenches. Trenches.

June 1913. Trenches. Trenches. Trenches. Hate it.

January 1914. At first I assumed that they started to use captured Austins, but no, they fielded machineguns of proper size. Slowpokes needed three years to do this

February 1914 Damn. Their new machineguns are everywhere. I must admit it is rather nice weapon. Hopely we will get an equivalent.

March 1914. Trenches... Trenches... Trenches... Trenches...

July 1914. We are sitting in the same place for months. This damned war will never end.

August 1914. Caught a bullet in my leg. Almost grateful for that.

January 1915. Back in action. I got new version of Austin. It uses a detachable magazine. It is a mixed blessing. At least there are many more Austins nearby

February 1915. We got attacked by a... car. I have seen cars before when I visited the capital but this one is very different. It got nicknamed Horse because it carries a HD.  Luckily, this thing is not immortal. Twelve Austins focused fire on it and we won the day.

April 1915. We are pushing forward again. Our railless trains armed with guns kick some asses! Eat that, scum! "Sunday express" we call them. Frontline irony is strange sometimes.

June 1915. It exploded. I have seen it. No one know what happened but it is the first Sunday express we lost.

September 1915. Once again It looks like war will be over soon.

February 1916. There are rumors that we will get light machinegun soon. Finally! We need them

March 1916. 9mm!!? What idiot does machinehuns using this calibre? It is like DH but different side of stupidity.

March 1916. On other hand infantry like it. They say it is great in trenches.

April 1916. My buddy from artillery says they got new version of "Twelve". Good.

June 1916. Enemy starts to use its own version of Sunday Express. Of cause it is inferior to ours but I don't envy our guys in this hot metal coffins.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 27, 2015, 10:21:45 am »

Yay for time-travelling glorious Astrozkan!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 27, 2015, 03:08:05 pm »

On a side note, does this advance mean we're back fighting through quaint little English villages?
Not yet, but you will next turn. If you're thinking there definitely should have been villages by now based on our previous progress, assume they've been utterly shelled into rubble since then.

It probably does, since certainly it isn't our tanks doing the heavy lifting, with their 10:1 numerical disadvantage. Probably some artillery as well.
They're not at a numerical disadvantage. We don't have enough Ore and the treads are complex, making the tanks Very Expensive. They don't have enough Ore and the complexity of the motor makes the SPATs Very Expensive. Numerical equality.

I noticed this earlier but forgot to mention it, but in the paragraph detailing the trench action you repeatedly called the T15s 'F15s'. The 'T' stands for 'Tank'.

On that note, if your T15 is flying, then something is seriously wrong, and you should consult the manual. Maybe even write techsupport.
Heh, I didn't realize I was doing that. I might have been thinking of the F14 rifle somewhat. I blame that on it being 4 AM at the time.

so do we get a bonus when spies work together or what
You just get two attempts.

On a side note, a question.

Why did Trench Warfare stop?
It didn't, but I only mentioned where it changed (the use of the AS-MC16). The AS-F15's trench-crossing abilities are still proving to be of value.

That assumes gains are equal though
I haven't necessarily been assuming that. I like my vagueness sometimes. ;) I can probably do a rigid, four-segment system from here on if you like though.

A map, you say?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dat's pretty. Maybe I should put it in the OP. Or, a non-territory version.

Hrm.  Yeah, that's more 4:1 than 3:2, isn't it?  I'll do another one after the next year.
Y'all are pretty hung up on a five-segment system aren't you? I chose four because it's an even number, and I wanted always imagined two victories (and then at least holding it for one turn) to be enough to gain the area from the start of the game where each side holds equal territory.

Got some inspiration :)
:)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 27, 2015, 03:35:48 pm »

Like this?

Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 27, 2015, 04:34:09 pm »

Excerpts from diary of AS-2010 gunner
Encore please.

Like this?

'S pretty cool.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 27, 2015, 04:50:29 pm »

Like this?

I like it! I've noticed it is, however, missing an East Bay. My intent for ships was that they need to park in bays (because of storms) and can normally only attack one region away from a safe bay. This means that holding the Jungle or the Plains gives you to ability to use naval support in the enemy's home region.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 27, 2015, 04:54:39 pm »

There is no East bay, or at least the OP doesn't mention it.

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 27, 2015, 04:56:28 pm »

Journey of an Moskurg Infantryman

April of 1910:
A man came into my village last week looking for young able bodied men to go wage glorious war against the Arstotzkan devils to the south or at least that is what he told us. Unfortunately the man determined I was able bodied he told me I was drafted and expected to go to bootcamp (whatever that is) in two weeks. I had no idea what to say and the man had very fancy blue uniform and sword so of course I couldn't refuse. I know say goodbye to family and friends as I begin my trek north to this camp for boots. No idea why we need a camp for boots but I still go.

May of 1910:
Boot camp had a surprising lack of boots. Actually it turns out that it has nothing to do with boots at all! It is a place where we learn to fight for the Glorious Armies of Moskurg! So far I have enjoyed bootcamp it isn't as hard as i expected it to be once i realized what it was, and today I have just received my glorious rifle the Horse Killer is a mighty gun that thunders and roars as you shoot it. It is very fun to shoot but thus far I actually failed to hit the broad side of a barn. But I am sure I get better at the very least better then the Arstotzkan dogs.

July of 1910:
I have just graduated Boot camp today! I am so excited i shall soon be facing the enemies of Moskurg in glorious combat. I have been told my unit is to march east along the coast to fight in the plains. I have never travelled very far south so i am excited to see new lands i am also glad I did not get assigned to unit headed west the jungles sound quite frankly terrible mud as high as your chest and trees so dense you can't see the hand in front of your face. Well I am off to drink with my comrades till we head off for war maybe I find lovely lady who wants to be with a glorious warrior like myself.

Early August of 1910:
My unit arrived at the front last week its not exactly how I imagined far less glorious charges more huddling in trenches eating some of the worst food I have ever tasted. But still I am glad to be here it gives me purpose to fight for my nation and bring honor and glory to my family.

Late August of 1910:
Damned Arstotzkans!!! My unit was given order to charge and take Arstotzkan trench captain told us should be easy like other Arstotzkan trenches. Told us there puny guns would barely hurt when they hit us and told us that no Arstotzkan is a match for us sons of Moskurg in Battle. I believed him we all believed him I believed him so we charged that is when I first heard the rattle of machine gun fire a sound I'm not likely to forget. As we charge across open field behind captain I hear the "chunk chunk chunk" of Arstotzkan machine gun and saw my glorious moskurgan brothers get chopped down by the fire of Arstotzkan machine-guns. I still do not know how I made it through that initial volley. But soon the machine gun fell silent I could see it by now two men struggling with it trying to take off its barrel or some such I don't know why but I assume they had there reasons. So I dropped to ground and aimed my horsekiller at the nearest of them and fired his chest exploded into a bloody mist that drenched the other man working on the machine gun. That was the first life I took. It didn't feel quite how I expected but it is no matter each Arstotzkan I kill brings my nation closer to victory of the Arstotkan devils.

November 1910:
It has been bloody war I am last of my unit the rest die to the hail of fire from Arstotzkan machine guns and rifles. But glorious Moskurg engineers have provided us with our own machine gun the GLORIOUS M1 Stallion! It shoots a mans bullet unlike the puny Arstotzkan machine guns and I have been assigned the great honor of crewing one.... well not really I've been assigned to a crew but they just really wanted me to guard it if the enemy did make it to our trenches. But still is good job to protect great Moskurgan weapon. Though i no longer get to fight in glorious charges. Anyhow war progresses poorly at least I think it does it seems to me we keep going further and further back but I am sure it is glorious plan of great Moskurgan commanders.

December 1910:
Today I got to fire the Glorious stallion though I wish it was under better circumstances. The rest of the crew died under a hail of gunfire during the Arstotzkan charge I suppose that means I failed my one job but still firing the stallion was as fun as I expected gunning down those damn Arstotzkan pigs. We held the trench despite the loss of a proper Stallion crew and I couldn't really keep it firing as it should of but our bravery and skill in trench combat drove them back. As we will one day drive the Arstotkan pigs into the sea.
Glory to Moskurg

(to be continued)
Feedback would be appreciated
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:03:56 pm by TheLordofHouseRiley »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 27, 2015, 05:06:18 pm »

Nice piece of Moskurg propaganda :)

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 27, 2015, 05:11:55 pm »

Thank you! Also Moskurg guys would you like me to play catch up with the journey of a Moskurg Infantryman and do every year up till the current turn. Which would be possible just expect lower quality of work or I could just skip to 1917 and we could go from there I really don't care because I enjoy it so just let me know.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:18:27 pm by TheLordofHouseRiley »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 27, 2015, 05:30:54 pm »

I'd like it if you did the 1916 one....for no particular reason.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 27, 2015, 05:31:39 pm »

Either way is fine with me.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 27, 2015, 05:37:35 pm »

I suspect Sensei is digging through discussions in Arstotzkan thread.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 159