Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 217516 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #450 on: August 01, 2015, 12:40:00 am »

He probably only got one extra kill in the last year.
He just got a new airplane that was better than his last one in every way except armour and armament. I doubt he only managed to get one kill the entire year he was in the air with it.

Also, Moskurg would like to state that Arstotzka is also in league with the communists, supplying the soviets with tanks/torture chambers
The tank allowed them to scare their rebellious colonies into submission. Moskurg's design was instead so the soviets could slaughter them. Greater atrocities would've occurred if not for Arstotzka.

are very much communists themselves who abhor a free market and liberalism in it's entirety
One of the reasons Arstotzka wants a greater international presence is to secure trade with other countries, countries like Britain and France.

executing poor engineers for being unable to complete their evil leaders impossible requests.
Executing engineers who were proven to have worked with a Moskurg spy to sabotage our air force. The agent who coerced them into working for him - Feather Hammer - was struck down by God just before our own agent could get to him.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #451 on: August 01, 2015, 12:46:08 am »

The general of the Moskurgian army is plagued by lack of sleep, and it's been reported that he has been taking smaller meals. When asked about it, he said: "My dear boy, how can I sleep when those filthy Arstotskans walk the Earth? Even after we commissioned a civilian contractor to paint the windows at my headquarters shut, their stench still makes my eyes water. My brother-in-law owned a manor near the border before he turned it over to our forces to use as a field hospital. He used to tell me tales of his cattle dropping dead during the windy season because they were being suffocated by the odor. That's what this whole war is about, or don't you know? We're going over there to convince them to start rubbing soap under their arms instead of pig shit."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:48:15 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 01, 2015, 12:55:19 am »

Mispost.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:58:04 am by evilcherry »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 01, 2015, 01:01:31 am »

The general of the Moskurgian army is plagued by lack of sleep, and it's been reported that he has been taking smaller meals. When asked about it, he said: "My dear boy, how can I sleep when those filthy Arstotskans walk the Earth? Even after we commissioned a civilian contractor to paint the windows at my headquarters shut, their stench still makes my eyes water. My brother-in-law owned a manor near the border before he turned it over to our forces to use as a field hospital. He used to tell me tales of his cattle dropping dead during the windy season because they were being suffocated by the odor. That's what this whole war is about, or don't you know? We're going over there to convince them to start rubbing soap under their arms instead of pig shit."
Didn't I already make a joke about how Moskurgs stink all the way back in page 2?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 01, 2015, 01:16:31 am »

You did that page one. Reply #14
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 01, 2015, 01:49:57 am »

Now that I think about it, our original triplane was really kind of shit, but so is our pistol and its shittiness decreases its cost. Why wasn't our triplane's cost decreased originally?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 01, 2015, 01:53:39 am »

Now that I think about it, our original triplane was really kind of shit, but so is our pistol and its shittiness decreases its cost. Why wasn't our triplane's cost decreased originally?

It's already cheap enough we can produce one for every soldier, what more do you want? :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 01, 2015, 03:48:50 am »

Hey Sensei, I think there's a problem with how you're dealing with resource shortages, namely the bit where a resource shortage needs to be at 3 before another Expense level is tacked on.

You see, Moskurg could field as many armoured cars, SPATs, and even light tanks as much as it needs with only 1 Ore. (They'd be Expensive but they don't need those vehicles to be cheap.) This seems rather unrealistic to me. They could have the absolute lowest amount of metal they could possibly have and yet they would still manage to crank out tanks without issue. I'll leave it to you to decide how to deal with this issue or if it even is an issue.

Also, it might be time to determine how much Oil Moskurg's train engine needs. Since it's responsible for delivering supplies to its troops and gathering Ore from the Mountains, it's kind of important to know if there's a shortage of them or not.

EDIT: Tell the diplomat that as Arstotzka has developed the most amount of logistical and commercial vehicles (trucks and motorbikes), we'd be better at conducting trade. (Also, I hope you saw my post in the Arstotzka thread about helping out with the pirates.)

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:01:21 am by Andres »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 01, 2015, 04:00:09 am »

Arstotzka truck drive all the way to London! Glory to Arstotzka!

Also, propose to the British that both Moksburg and Arstotzka be allowed to join. After all, it is in our interest to let Moksburg shows its suckiness to the world.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 01, 2015, 04:09:51 am »

Good job with the newspapers and propaganda, everybody. I love the flavor it all adds to the setting. I laughed at the implication that Moskurgs are related to tigers.

It's already cheap enough we can produce one for every soldier, what more do you want? :P
I had an original system in mind where ambitious new technologies would have a Complexity value, of some integer between 1 and 10, which would have to be balanced out by a number of Bugs, which have a Bug Value. So for example, a new automatic gun that's Complexity 3 might be Shoddy (-1), Expensive (-1) and Overheat (-1) to balance out the complexity. As your knowledge and facilities improved you'd get a Complexity Reduction, for example if you have Complexity Reduction 2 you could eliminate two of the bugs on that gun. Instead I've just been having new stuff that's ambitious be either buggy, complex (which directly translates to expense) or both depending on how ambitious it is and a dice roll. Oh yeah, and I wanted to say, even a cheap aircraft has a pilot, a dedicated ground crew of two or three people, and some share in the general logistics staff, so it's not like you can field literally as many airplanes as you can infantry. Of course, an airplane can destroy a lot more materiel than five infantrymen under the right circumstances.

Didn't I already make a joke about how Moskurgs stink all the way back in page 2?
Yeah, but this is a prolonged, elaborate joke about how Moskurgs stink. And also a reference to something I think? At any rate I'm sure there are a lot of Arstotzkans who would like to get a word in about their mortal enemies' bathing habits.

Hey Sensei, I think there's a problem with how you're dealing with resource shortages, namely the bit where a resource shortage needs to be at 3 before another Expense level is tacked on.

You see, Moskurg could field as many armoured cars, SPATs, and even light tanks as much as it needs with only 1 Ore. (They'd be Expensive but they don't need those vehicles to be cheap.) This seems rather unrealistic to me. They could have the absolute lowest amount of metal they could possibly have and yet they would still manage to crank out tanks without issue. I'll leave it to you to decide how to deal with this issue or if it even is an issue.

Also, it might be time to determine how much Oil Moskurg's train engine needs. Since it's responsible for delivering supplies to its troops and gathering Ore from the Mountains, it's kind of important to know if there's a shortage of them or not.

EDIT: Tell the diplomat that as Arstotzka has developed the most amount of logistical and commercial vehicles (trucks and motorbikes), we'd be better at conducting trade. (Also, I hope you saw my post in the Arstotzka thread about helping out with the pirates.)
Resources staying the way they are for now. Assume that a disproportionate amount of resources are produced near the capitol (not entirely illogical) which to be honest is mostly for game balance reasons. I don't want there to be a resource tipping point where it's totally impossible to turn around. Fighting pirates might be an espionage action. I'm still unsure about the meaning of assigned cost to logistics stuff, for now I'm not messing with it.

Arstotzka truck drive all the way to London!
Blub blub blub.

The British Affair

In each capitol city, British diplomats read the news, speak to locals and officials alike, and are given tours of the armed forces by proud generals. They whisper to eachother when confronted with various rumors and accusations regarding the Moskurg fascinations with tigers, they scowl at Arstotzka's apparent irresponsibility with machine guns and tanks. They remark with interest upon Arstotzka's aluminium industry, and Moskurg light machine guns and patented Cascade SMGs. They fail to politely decline a Moskurg gift of snarling caged tigers, and a terrified servant boy pulls their cage around on a cart. Both nations' pawns in the Game are present, perpetually sipping tea and making polite conversation. Agent Hairy Pickle is disguised as a Moskurger ("Well, I do think our opponents deserve some credit, you know...") and quietly arranges a lock on the tiger cage to fail at an inconvenient time. Agent Tiger Fucker (he doesn't call himself that in polite company) successfully identifies his enemy and, expecting the release of the tigers, wisely stands out of the way. When the cage releases, the tigers run into an alley and both agents give chase, hoping to be the tiger-capturing hero and earn the diplomat's ear (and ensure the other agent is mauled in the process). They're in the middle of a four-way stabbing match with the pair of tigers when the British party arrives in the alley and both agents are forced to stop trying to kill each other in the interest of appearances, and simply capture the tigers. They are left glaring at each other over tea and Hairy Pickle makes an excuse to leave while Tiger Fucker is obliged to hold the tiger cage closed for a locksmith. Neither agent succeeds in killing the other and the diplomats are left with mixed impressions of both nations.

1921 Battle Report

Arstotzka's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moskurg's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have now hit the 40,000 character limit for a forum post. Oh dear. Guess I'll have to split it up.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:00:27 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 01, 2015, 04:10:12 am »

This year, Arstotzka is spending their expense credit on SMG's, and Moskurg is spending theirs on Model 2 Hornets. Materials are shipped in from overseas and production goes in to over time, the workers paid in foreign goods (Moskurg receiving United States Dollars and Arstotzka Russian Rubles).

Arstozka produced one and a half new vehicles. The AS-MV21-AL is an armored car built wholly from aluminium. It has light and medium armor, impressive speed, great all-terrain performance and the gunner gets a deadly AS-AC18 autocannon. They revised their motorcycle, now the AS-M17A, to stop being an unsafe pile of junk and also include a mount capable of aiming its AS-1910 machine gun at aircraft. Moskurg designed a new logistics vehicle (their logistics capacity is now 5), the LV-1 tiger, which is functionally pretty similar to the Arstotzkan logistics truck. They also revised their machine guns, emplaced and vehicle-mounted, with pintle mounts to better aim at aircraft.

In the air, Model 2 Hornets and AS-A19C's are now equally common. Both craft being slow turners, the Model 2's M1 Stallion gunner gives it an advantage. Both craft have powerful weapons with a long effective range. Model 1 Biplanes are less common in dogfights, but tend to be defeated by AS-A19C pilots who can successfully engage from afar. Arstotzkan craft are also threatened by ground fire now, particularly the mobile Struunk I's and M1 Stallion emplacements. The AS-1910 ground fire is also very capable of damaging Moskurg's wood-framed aircraft, but has less range. In general Moskurg has an air advantage, but many battles are close contests. Ground-to-air fire causes a significant number of casualties, while not a majority, and sometimes are fights are swung by events on the ground below.

In the Jungle/Snow border, Arstotzka assaults with their new AS-MV21-AL, an armored car with a gun currently capable of threatening infantry and armor alike. These vehicles are also supported by the capable AS-M17 bikes. These can outmaneuver T1 Smashers and Struunk I's, especially in snowy weather. The belt-fed variation of the AS-AC18 does necessitate pauses in fire to avoid overheating when used on the ground, but good gunners still prefer this to loading magazines. Less good gunners damage their AS-AC18. Also, Arstotzka has exclusive air support in the taiga. The fight is quickly taken back in to the jungle. The AS-MV21-AL sees some losses here, in the form of gunners picked off by Moskurg rifles mostly. If the vehicle is forced to stop, Horsekiller rifles can penetrate its armor at close range, or easily put a round through the grill on the back (if a Moskurg soldier can get behind it). In general, the AS-MV21 is more effective as anti-armor on the tight roads (from the front it takes a cannon to kill) because of the AS-AC18's lack of ammo compared to a smaller gun. Motorcycle shock troops take center stage here, parking and shooting their machine guns or dismounting with AS-MC17 SMGs. An SMG-armed squad backed up with one or two AS-F14 marksmen can make quick work of even fierce Moskurg troops in tight quarters and forts, and superior armor means that they can usually get close. In some fights, SMG squads are prone to being pinned down by a Brumby from further than they can shoot accurately. Arstotzka gains a chunk of jungle (1/4), preventing Moskurg from successfully exploiting the jungle's resources. Konstantin the Bear describes the AS-MC17 as "wunderwaffe".

In the mountains, Moskurg deploys their new improvised AA Stallions to protect their mines and trains. These are somewhat effective, they rely on the fact that AS-A19C's need to fly close to make strafing runs. This combined with the much improved air performance means that Moskurg trains remain effective for logistics here.

In the eastern desert, Arstotzka launches a new light armored offensive. Despite being less effective in sand than other terrain the AS-MV21-AL and new motorcycles can outmaneuver and generally outperform Moskurg vehicles. Struunks can get a kill on Arstotzkan armored cars from close range, but don't often make it to close range at all. High speed gas-burning warfare reigns in the desert now, and Arstotzka is winning. This is tempered significantly by the improved Moskurg air support. Model 2 Hornets are now more likely to make it over Arstotzkan convoys and deliver their payload, and Arstotzkan AS-A19C's can no longer strafe with impunity due to better air cover and some ground-to-air fire. Sometimes Arstotzkan armored groups are bombed to smithereens while standing still at night, despite desperate last-moment attempts from motorcycle gunners to stop Model 2's (not that their guns are ineffective, but hitting airplanes at night is extremely difficult). Moskurg holds their ground, but might not for another year like this.

An American company is looking for a weapon suitable for civilian big game hunting in South America and Africa. Must be powerful, man-portable, accurate and have the option for single or semiautomatic fire. They are offering one Expense Credit. See what I did there? I got you all hooked on expense credits, and now only one of you gets one.

An Experimental Allied U-Boat has sunk near Forenia, as an espionage action you might attempt to investigate it for a Design Credit. Sharks are a hazard. Having a domestically made watercraft will grant a bonus.

You may now begin designing for 1922.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 01, 2015, 04:17:12 am »

hitting airplanes at night is extremely difficult).

And flying at night isn't?

Anyway, great performance, but that damn Agent is still alive.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:20:18 am by 10ebbor10 »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 01, 2015, 04:18:48 am »

What happened with the diplomats? The espionage? The country lists?

EDIT: Ah, different post entirely. My bad.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:20:42 am by Andres »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 01, 2015, 04:21:02 am »

What happened with the diplomats? The espionage? The country lists?
The post was split in two parts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 01, 2015, 04:28:46 am »

I think we should offer our Mortar to the Americans. It's powerful, man-portable and can do both single shot and semi-auto. Fits the bill perfectly!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 159