Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 220416 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #570 on: August 03, 2015, 06:38:03 am »

Fair enough.  I suppose moskurg might well surrender, then.  If we can't put pressure on our opponents when at 3/4, what's the point, then?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 03, 2015, 06:54:53 am »

Spoiler: AS-LM20 Image (click to show/hide)
Best pressure-sensitive anti-personnel landmine in the world.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:32:54 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 03, 2015, 07:11:37 am »

I think that the reason we can do all that threatening of railroads is that we hold plains and have airfields there, while you have no such advanced position to start air attacks from. our side of the mountain is quite far from your capital and perhaps your planes have an hard time bombing that?

not really sure, the GM should clarify.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 03, 2015, 07:17:23 am »

I think it has more to do with our trains being armoured up the butt, armed up the butt, having flak artillery nearby, and us retaining our air advantage.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 03, 2015, 07:18:41 am »

- ore is just much less valuable than oil on a per unit basis. You can never properly design anything that can actually use 4 oil without an ore cost, but not the other way round (I feel steam tanks are a way to cheat the oil cost).
Who says you can't. Wooden planes don't use armor. Simply design a wooden 2 or 4 engine bomber.

- I can't fathom how camo is more effective as a force multiplier than radio, either.
You had radio for a while. The improvements are spread out, and thus the incremental benefit appears smaller.

- The Recoilless rifle should be able to decimate MV21-ALs at a ratio not significantly less than parity. Given that MV21-AL are expensive, they should already be gone from the field.
Not really.

See, it fires a simple high explosive artillery shell. Not HEAT, not armor piercing. Just simple high explosive, which on it's own, is not very effective. All in all, it should not even breach the frontal armor.

In addition, high dropoff means much shorter range. Also, while your weaponry is cheap, you're not equipping everyone with it. After all, they can take either a rifle or a Rhino. Given that consideration, you should think of your weapon as Very Expensive rather than cheap.

- If you can properly nerf the MV21-AL, then we can talk about nerfing the Recoilless rifle.

It does not need nerfing. It's perfectly fine. Armoring fits the GM established rules, it wasn't build 30 years before it existed, and all that.

- Maybe its bad play on our part but the T-1 should no longer be lumbering at 10 km/h.
I don't think you ever improved the engine.

I think that the reason we can do all that threatening of railroads is that we hold plains and have airfields there, while you have no such advanced position to start air attacks from. our side of the mountain is quite far from your capital and perhaps your planes have an hard time bombing that?

He did. It is the fact that the front is a long distance away from our logistic operations (no airforce bases in the Jungle).

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 03, 2015, 07:29:16 am »

- If you can properly nerf the MV21-AL, then we can talk about nerfing the Recoilless rifle.

It does not need nerfing. It's perfectly fine. Armoring fits the GM established rules, it wasn't build 30 years before it existed, and all

Well, except for the weapon, being a reliable 20mm autocannon.  That's only 15-20 years ahead of time.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 03, 2015, 07:34:41 am »

It does not need nerfing. It's perfectly fine. Armoring fits the GM established rules, it wasn't build 30 years before it existed, and all
Well, except for the weapon, being a reliable 20mm autocannon.  That's only 15-20 years ahead of time.
Not really. These things were designed and build in 1913.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becker_Type_M2_20_mm_cannon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 03, 2015, 07:36:20 am »

The box magazines would be a little inefficient in the air.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 03, 2015, 07:39:50 am »

The box magazines would be a little inefficient in the air.
A belt-fed variant was created when we revised our first aircraft. This variant has gone on to serve us basically wherever we used the autocannon.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 03, 2015, 07:42:42 am »

Also, our belt-fed version of the autocannon overheats and jams from continuous fire.

Actually this aircraft revision was funny, it failed all rolls but improving firepower
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:45:21 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 03, 2015, 07:45:09 am »

- ore is just much less valuable than oil on a per unit basis. You can never properly design anything that can actually use 4 oil without an ore cost, but not the other way round (I feel steam tanks are a way to cheat the oil cost).
Who says you can't. Wooden planes don't use armor. Simply design a wooden 2 or 4 engine bomber.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Mosquito
- I can't fathom how camo is more effective as a force multiplier than radio, either.
You had radio for a while. The improvements are spread out, and thus the incremental benefit appears smaller.
And yet we are not having its effect at any time of the day.
- The Recoilless rifle should be able to decimate MV21-ALs at a ratio not significantly less than parity. Given that MV21-AL are expensive, they should already be gone from the field.
Not really.

See, it fires a simple high explosive artillery shell. Not HEAT, not armor piercing. Just simple high explosive, which on it's own, is not very effective. All in all, it should not even breach the frontal armor.

In addition, high dropoff means much shorter range. Also, while your weaponry is cheap, you're not equipping everyone with it. After all, they can take either a rifle or a Rhino. Given that consideration, you should think of your weapon as Very Expensive rather than cheap.
1. We have the Tiger. Our logistical problem of the rhino mainly depends on how well we can defend our forward ammo dumps.
2. As manpower is never a consideration, High alpha weapons should be of some advantage. We can just use human wave attacks against those armored cars.
3. Not to mention that you are building a wheeled vehicle. Desert, heavy, and high mobility isn't a valid combination.
4. Its armor is weaker than most modern armored cars (for the VIPs, not for fighting). HE shells should be reliably denting if not beating 10mm armor.

It does not need nerfing. It's perfectly fine. Armoring fits the GM established rules, it wasn't build 30 years before it existed, and all that.
It ended up being this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis_gun
- Maybe its bad play on our part but the T-1 should no longer be lumbering at 10 km/h.
I don't think you ever improved the engine.

He did. It is the fact that the front is a long distance away from our logistic operations (no airforce bases in the Jungle).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:47:48 am by evilcherry »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 03, 2015, 07:45:09 am »

Also, our belt-fed version of the autocannon overheats and jams from continuous fire.
Actually, it was the MC17 that overheated and jammed. When we used the Expense credit on our MC16, we got the MC17 which was like the MC16 except belt-fed and cheap. The problem is there for the MC16 too, but it doesn't get fired enough for many problems to crop up in the field.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 03, 2015, 07:47:36 am »

The belt-fed variation of the AS-AC18 does necessitate pauses in fire to avoid overheating when used on the ground, but good gunners still prefer this to loading magazines. Less good gunners damage their AS-AC18.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 03, 2015, 07:51:52 am »

Ah, my bad. Still, with the low pressure and thus low temperature that comes from being airborne, I doubt they suffer the same problem when mounted on aircraft.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 03, 2015, 08:01:06 am »

That sounds an awful lot like, sure, we know it's ahead of it's time, but we had our super-weapon first, and you can't have one.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 159