Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 217515 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #840 on: August 10, 2015, 03:15:06 pm »

If you want to make some older tech, the T15 would be pretty cool.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #841 on: August 10, 2015, 03:18:47 pm »

If you want to make some older tech, the T15 would be pretty cool.
Yes.
Yes this.
I even have an idea how to do it.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: August 10, 2015, 03:24:08 pm »

Yo, Moskurgers. Did you lot fix the tracks in the plains?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: August 10, 2015, 03:26:09 pm »

I always pictured it as some kind of Saint-Chamond.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #844 on: August 10, 2015, 04:51:55 pm »

Eh, the shape on the front of the tank is really troublesome.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 10, 2015, 04:53:38 pm »

You could always make it more boxy.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #846 on: August 10, 2015, 05:17:25 pm »

You could always make it more boxy.
Nah, I'll just make a general shape in some easy modelling software (but I have to get one first, and that is quite fucking hard considering the state of my internet).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 10, 2015, 05:19:32 pm »

Why not base it on a picture?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #848 on: August 10, 2015, 05:25:07 pm »

Why not base it on a picture?

Not the right shape, converting it will be too hard. I would do it usually (even considered it for a while) but nah, I tried to get a good image of armored locomotive but noone have the heretic sloped half-cylinder, especially not at the end. Generally, the designs that appear around are either so weird that there is nothing like that or not very descriptive. I have found good models for Moskurgian heavy tank though, I think.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: August 10, 2015, 05:27:13 pm »

You might want to look up the British Flying Elephant super heavy tank.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #850 on: August 10, 2015, 05:35:04 pm »

You might want to look up the British Flying Elephant super heavy tank.
Still different.
Really, making it in modelling software would be best (5h ETA on download though, 100MB HRHGGHGH)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: August 10, 2015, 06:29:07 pm »

1928 Army Status
I've been forced to move more of this post into the second post, so I'll go with this Army Status/Battle Report format for now. If the Army Status alone hits the 40,000 character limit I will have to think of a new way to do this. Or just triple-post.

Arstotzka's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moskurg's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: August 10, 2015, 06:29:33 pm »

Sensei I am really curious... What happened with Russian T15s? How they influenced the civil war? Did they develop it further? Did they create their own steam tanks?
Russia consciously avoided future steam tanks, having Russian tank production mostly keep in line with history so far.

Though it might be a bit early Sensei do you have a list of reflection and recommendations to anyone hoping to host something like this in the future?
I might do a post on this if people want. My advice for now is just be ready for it to take up a lot of time, a game like this can get really hurt by losing momentum and needs to be updated pretty quickly. Avoid too many complex systems and numbers- that's part of what made my last design game unmanageable eventually, and why I have a lot of abstracted systems. I also like the dual-suggestion format, it gets me PvP without needing to wait for posts from a bunch of specific players.

The English Affair
British diplomats have stated that they would like a weapon design from each nation in Forenia- "you know, for letting you off so easy on the whole 'colony' thing, chaps". They are not offering a reward.

The Chinese Civil War
The Royal Army of China has interest in a machine gun, and has turned to Forenia as a potential source. The design must be cheap so as to be well deployed among their troops, and they are offering an Expense Credit. The Communist army is looking for a weapon to attack emplacements, which also must be cheap, and they are offering a contract to provide 1 ore for three years. Each nation may submit only one weapon to each faction, choose wisely.

Cities
I haven't named the Nations' capitols, but I've decided that calling them "Arstotzka's Capitol" and "Moskurg's Capitol" all the time is kind of lame. Come up with a name and an interesting fact about life in your capitol, one submission per person. An intelligence officer from Russia, charged with treason for allegedly selling secrets to rebels, is looking for a place to retire, and he will pay in secrets and knowledge for your nation to keep quiet about his presence in your nation. The best submission will receive an Espionage Credit for their nation.

1928 Battle Report

This year, Arstotzka designed the AS-RPG28, a rocket-propelled grenade launcher. It is very mechanically simple, with the rocket propellant being ignited by a pin like a hand grenade and the launch tube being little more than a tube with a handle. It fires warheads with variants similar to the AS-G27, including a shaped charge, which doesn't fly straight and isn't very effective. Arstotzka also perfected the design process for their turbo chargers, making them reasonably cheap to produce. This will only affect the AS-T25 for now. Moskurg took a break from making bigger things that explode better and designed the Eagle Sight, their first scope. It can be manufactured at zoom levels up to 4x, but not adjusted, and is expensive. For now it can also only be custom-retrofitted to guns, since there aren't any guns designed to take advantage of it nor does Moskurg have an accessory rail system, so regardless of price only a portion of weapons will use it. Expect this to mostly see use on tanks. Moskurg also design the Tiger's Whisper, a radio device which encrypts and decrypts text messages, based on code cards distributed to communications officers. It is as heavy as a normal Model 3 Radio.

Moskurg's ore returns this turn. This means that all their guns are in full production again. Brass buttons are re-issued.

Moskurg gains a significant cryptology advantage this year. Arstotzkan troops capture a Tiger's Whisper machine, but generally don't succeed in stealing up-to-date code cards. Moskurg's Agent Sandworm cracks the Arstotzkan radio jargon by listening to commands given and observing troop movements, and could probably crack a similar system again quickly. Therefore, Moskurg's troops anticipate Arstotzkan attacks, find their weakpoints, and often manage to outnumber them in fights. Arstotzka's Agent Promised Crucible poses as a worker in a T2 Breaker factory to sabotage production, but gets arrested for poor work ethic, and released after six months of being forced to carve statues of tigers. He does, however, cleverly sabotage a couple statues to collapse after being placed. Moskurg Tiger Statue production is penalized this year.

The war in the air hasn't changed, except for the addition of Eagle Sights to some Moskurg M3 Wasps. This lets them aim shots from farther off, but their M1 Stallion's grouping is a limiting factor on accuracy. Arstotzka has more planes shot down by ground-to-air fire than last year, after the Stallion shortage ends. Still, Arstotzka retains an advantage overall. Andrei Zhuyev retires after receiving a bullet to the knee, and becomes an honor guard at the palace in Arstotzka's capitol.

In the desert, Arstotzka finds themselves suffering from very well-coordinated B2 Destroyer Artillery attacks. The B2 is no longer Very Expensive, and Moskurg gunners are listening in on Arstotzkan radio channels. It partly drives Arstotzkans to stop using radios. Moskurg also sees the emergence of the sniper role in their army. Some officers choose to acquire Eagle Sight scopes and have them fixed to Model 1 Rifles or Horsekillers (the Model 1 users are more successful) and pick off Arstotzkan soldiers from great range. It's a terrifying tactic, which drives the AS-MAT26-50 into an impromptu counter-sniper role firing shrapnel shells, as its elongated DT-25 is the most accurate rifle in the Arstotzkan arsenal (it helps that its armor is immune to sniper fire at range). The AS-T25 is now Expensive this year, and Arstotzka makes a massive armored push. New scope-equipped T2 Breakers fire APHE rounds from a great distance, but usually at the sloped front armor. A Breaker gunner who is a good enough shot can, however, nail an AS-T25 turret from long range, destroying the tank.  With better radio coordination and artillery support, T2 Breakers successfully fight greater numbers of AS-T25's. Arstotzkan motorcycle troops quickly adopt the AS-RPG28. If they are able to ride close to a T2 breaker, they can easily shoot through its armor. Firing an RPG at mid-range from a motorcycle at full speed is a difficult task, but some kills are recorded this way as well. The Moskurg army defends against this with their cavalry wielding cascades and MK-47s. Motorcycles are vulnerable to sniper fire as well. The Arstotzkan push, once again, stops. (Arstotzka 2/4).

In the mountains, the new Arstotzkan RPG is carried by one or two soldiers in a squad, who forego rifles for the chance to destroy a T2 Breaker defending Moskurg mines. However, Moskurg snipers make a point of targeting these soldiers. A Moskurg squad in the mountains consists of an unfortunately visible officer, and camouflaged soldiers wielding Model 1 rifles and M3 Sorraias. The AS-1924 can be somewhat outperformed by the Sorraia at range- not a big deal normally, but now Moskurg squads pin down enemies with machine gun fire kill them with their sniper. Moskurg gains ground in the mountains. As an added bonus, coordinated Arstotzkan assaults in the mountains are thwarted in that they must either not use radios or allow Moskurg to know when they will be attacking. (Moskurg 2/4).

In the jungle, Moskurg soldiers receive their automatic weapons back. This would put the fight in their favor, but Arstotzka also benefits from their new RPG28. This is more portable than the Rhino, in that it can be fired without setup. A good number of T2 Breakers are killed in ambushes with RPG's, and the AS-T25 also outnumbers them, which gives Arstotzka an advantage on the roads and areas accessible to tanks. Some Moskurg officers attempt to use sniper tactics, but they are usually within the range of a well-aimed Nosin Magant and their camouflage is poor, by which I mean they have big blue hats and silver capes. Moskurg still makes very prolific use of the Cascade, and has an advantage in infantry fights in the jungle which tend to be at close-medium range. However, Arstotzka takes the roads and begins and helps defend against ambush past their lines with well-placed landmines. Nobody gains ground (2/4).

You may now design for 1929.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: August 10, 2015, 06:36:34 pm »

you know, I always assumed we were some sort of city states and that Arstotzka and Moskurg were the name of our capitals.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: August 10, 2015, 06:39:23 pm »

Submit the AS-1909 to the British. Yes, this is meant to be a statement.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 159