Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 220531 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #1170 on: August 14, 2015, 05:52:42 am »

I get the impression that APHE just works differently in this world to real life. So as i trust Sensei to not give us something that can't be countered, you can probably get away with designing "an armour mod designed to negate APHE rounds" instead of something specific, and he'll give you the counter.
I wonder what he would come up with.
Unobtanium armor?
EDIT:
Also, haha, I almost did the same thing.
Right now I'm digging through simulation games to get some knowledge maybe, dunno if that would be reliable.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: August 14, 2015, 05:57:04 am »

So far we have all had the bonus of hindsight in knowing which designs are good counters to other designs. This is the first time we don't have hindsight and you're in the same position the designers were in real life. However you don't have tbf ability to test designs before committing them, only a GM whom you can ask questions of.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1172 on: August 14, 2015, 06:05:03 am »

only a GM whom you can ask questions of.
I'll rather continue digging, thank you.
Also, damn, Steel Panthers don't have any mentions of LGs. Fuck, I thought that Steel Panthers have it, considering all those weird guns they have and completly historical values.

Maybe the designers had the same problem? No info on LG?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 14, 2015, 06:08:36 am »

Have you tried digging up info on the cannon from which the LG borrowed it's round?

I mean, if that only barely penetrates armor (and it will, it was outdated) then it's clear the LG couldn't do anything at all.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1174 on: August 14, 2015, 06:12:25 am »

Have you tried digging up info on the cannon from which the LG borrowed it's round?

I mean, if that only barely penetrates armor (and it will, it was outdated) then it's clear the LG couldn't do anything at all.
Yes. It didin't go well, but I'll try that too after all my ideas to find LG 40 fail.
BUT BUT I HAVE FOUND LG 40 IN OTHER VERSION OF STEEL PANTHERS!
But shitty game values, so...
Both versions have 0 in AP, with the bigger one having 10 instead of 5 in HEAT.
Dunno what that means really, except that it's AP is actually nonexistant. I'll continue searching.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: August 14, 2015, 06:13:08 am »

Well:

Quote from: Wikipedia on the LG40
This gun used HE shells from the 7.5 cm Gebirgsgeschütz (Mountain Gun) 36 and the anti-tank shell of the 7.5 cm Feldkanone 16, neuer Art (Field Cannon, New Model).

Quote from: Wikipedia on the GebG 36
The 7.5 cm GebG 36 fired a wide variety of ammunition, with the notable exception of a conventional armor-piercing shell. It used instead a unique hollow-charge armor-piercing shell

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1176 on: August 14, 2015, 06:21:05 am »

Well:

Quote from: Wikipedia on the LG40
This gun used HE shells from the 7.5 cm Gebirgsgeschütz (Mountain Gun) 36 and the anti-tank shell of the 7.5 cm Feldkanone 16, neuer Art (Field Cannon, New Model).

Quote from: Wikipedia on the GebG 36
The 7.5 cm GebG 36 fired a wide variety of ammunition, with the notable exception of a conventional armor-piercing shell. It used instead a unique hollow-charge armor-piercing shell
It used HE from GebG 36, but the AP from 7.5 cm Feldkanone 16 Na, so I don't really know what you're trying to say here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: August 14, 2015, 06:28:15 am »

I can't fin penetration data from the 7.5 cm Feldkanone 16 Na though. Even so, it has twice the muzzle velocity of a RR.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1178 on: August 14, 2015, 06:42:28 am »

I couldn't too.
Also, I have checked Men Of War for some info, the LG 40 actually appears, but only with HEAT (which seems to be indeed around 50mm of penetration, but can't really tell because I'm using GSM mod and it disables any way of checking the actual penetration values easily, without testing them on tanks of course (50mm got penetrated, 60mm didin't EDIT: All point-blank range ofc, but heat doesn't lose much of penetration over distance, rather loses it quickly when used against sloped and spaced armor) and HE.

Another dead end... or the AP actually was so shitty that nobody used it.

EDIT:
Eh, I have no ideas anymore really. I asked a question in thread about German Wunderwaffen so our armchair generals can prove their intelligence, and if that fails I'm proably going to invite more people and ask over some other forums. I suppose it exists somewhere in German internets. If that fails, the penetration values should still exist somewhere, but you would have to have access to actual documents rather than to internets proably.

If that fails, I will be conviced that AP and APHE in FG 40 is bullshit.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:56:24 am by Kot »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: August 14, 2015, 06:59:41 am »

Now, looking at the british QF-6, which has the same calibre as the Hippo (2.2 inches), can penetrate 85 mm of 30° angled armor according to Wikipedia... With a muzzle velocity of 853 m/s.

If penetration is proportional to energy, and the Hippo got the velocity of the M18 (same calibre) or 365 m/s, their Hippo should penetrate about 15 mm of angled armor at 100m.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: August 14, 2015, 07:01:21 am »

I think the ice giants might be thawing :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: August 14, 2015, 07:03:09 am »

on the other hand our angled armor is the thicker front armor.
As an infantry weapon, I assume they aren't sitting in front of the tank, firind head on. they likely aim at flanks, like we do with RPG.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: August 14, 2015, 07:05:51 am »

At this point, it's less ranting and more enjoying the search for obscure information. :p

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1183 on: August 14, 2015, 07:09:39 am »

I think the ice giants might be thawing :P
Water giants? That might prove to be a bit harder nut to crack than ice giants, since we can't really shoot those to pieces. I'm sure we will find out something anyway.
Now, looking at the british QF-6, which has the same calibre as the Hippo (2.2 inches), can penetrate 85 mm of 30° angled armor according to Wikipedia... With a muzzle velocity of 853 m/s.

If penetration is proportional to energy, and the Hippo got the velocity of the M18 (same calibre) or 365 m/s, their Hippo should penetrate about 15 mm of angled armor at 100m.
It should be noted that M18 has exceptionally high muzzle velocity for a 1945 (designed in 1942 though) recoiless gun and British didin't use APHE (which is lighter and has different (worse) penetrating capabilities).

At this point, it's less ranting and more enjoying the search for obscure information. :p
Research is a joyful activity.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 14, 2015, 07:13:31 am »

It's good to see that salt has been replaced by nerds doing research. ;D /jk
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 159