Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 217552 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #1410 on: August 17, 2015, 03:34:58 am »

Corner the international salt market and use the proceed to buy soviet infantrymen to defend against the Hippo.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 17, 2015, 03:38:04 am »

establish moskurgian import-export company, specializing in airmailed forenian salt

well excuse me, we got there first

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 17, 2015, 03:41:30 am »

Yeah, and we got the SMGs first. Then who stole and patented them?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 17, 2015, 03:42:47 am »

our smgs are not stolen and you are welcome to dispute this in any western patent court

now give me that salt revenue

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 17, 2015, 03:45:57 am »

Well, youbrely on AIR mailing. Glorious Arztotskan salt export bureau exports by glorious cargo ship.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 17, 2015, 03:47:38 am »

Only Moskurg would be dumb enough to try to export a commodity by air cargo. Of course, the fact that Moskurg are too afraid of the water to use boats (or take a bath) doesn't leave them with much choice.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 17, 2015, 03:49:14 am »

we could add an article to the treaty.

• All profits of forenia salt trade are to be used to fund prisoner camps and relief aid to populations who have been evacuated or otherwise lost their source of income ,shelter and/or food due to the war

not really serious.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 17, 2015, 03:50:39 am »

Patent the AS-MC16A. Main benefit over the Cascade is that you can shoulder it without wanting to puke from the smell of the Moskurg worker that assembled it. It's also all-around better.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 17, 2015, 05:06:26 am »

1930 Turn
Army status list after battle report, because I accidentally the battle report first.

War Crimes
A lot of people are concerned about violating the Geneva Protocol/Hague Conventions and similar. I can say that your countries are not signatory to any international war crime treaty. In my brief research I haven't yet found any clear record of how these were enforced on non-signatory countries, either in theory or in practice. I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a good article on that subject. I would probably use a simplified version in game (these treaties are long man), the biggest tenet being the banned use of gas weapons and poisons, with expanding bullets and such probably banned as well (I will warn any nation before they go ahead with designing/revising treaty-violating weapons so there is no ambiguity). Anyway, I'd like to have these as a game mechanic with clear rules rather than ambiguous ones players are fearful and unsure of.

Update: From what I can tell, League of Nations members did decide to that their war crime treaties should be enforced upon non-signatory nations, but only after the end of World War II when the question of what to do with people responsible for various atrocities in that war were raised. As such, don't expect anyone playing world police, but see below.

The Arstotzka-Moskurg War Treaty
At the risk of turning this into a diplomacy game: High Command of each Nation is proposing a war treaty. In a game-changing, landmark historical event, some basic articles, such as "Prisoners will not be served as meals to other prisoners", "Prisoners will not be served as meals to tigers or bears" and "Prisoners are friends, not food" have already been agreed upon! It also forbids to weaponized use of the Ark of the Covenant, if it is ever found. They are looking to the engineers of both sides to form the section of the agreement that pertains to which weapons are allowed and not allowed.

You may draft an agreement which describes forms of banned weapons, eg "All gas and chemical weapons are banned, and the use of tigers as weapons is banned" or "landmines may not be stacked on top of one another" or even "Moskurg may not use recoilless rifles, and Arstotzka may not use RPGs" and then this agreement must be ratified by a majority of voting players on each side. The terms can be whatever you want, even unreasonable stuff if both nations agree. You can even get creative and, for example, make provisions for future additions. Beware of loopholes, or use them to your advantage. High command will refuse to deploy any banned weapon out of a superstitious, unfounded fear of frost giants/sand devils, but also because the country which is victim to treaty violation will receive a game-breaking amount of foreign aid expense credits and materials.

This was posted earlier, but not surprisingly, so far there has been no agreement. I would like to amend that in the case of any claims that a nation has violated the treaty, a reasonable arbitrary party will interpret the treaty, before you try to argue that the treaty bans gas weapons and gunpowder creates gas which propels bullets, so everyone has to start using swords now.

National Sports
Arstotzka's national sport is motor racing. Races are dangerous and rules are few, and half of the entertainment is seeing what kind of vehicles drivers will arrive in, as well as the fireworks (some are real fireworks, some are burning bits of car). Moskurg's national sport is Tiger, a game in which a team of 20 "goats" tries to keep a ball away from four "tigers", who beat the crap out of the goats. Tigers get points by putting the ball through a hoop, goats get points by not falling or being tackled to the floor by the end of the match.

Arstotzka's national sport wins this one. Tourists come from across the sea to watch races on Arstotzka's biggest race tracks. A ship even leaves with a load of Arstotzkan cars. Apparently there's some kind of economic collapse in America, there's less tourists overall than one might expect. Nonetheless, Arstotzka earns an expense credit.

Recoilless Rifles
I would like to say I have seen undue salt on both sides. Moskurg APHE rounds are changed to HEAT rounds. They are as effective as APHE has been, which is to say, better at armor penetration than normal AP. In the future, disputes about weapon effectiveness/game balance which are not polite will be ignored.

1930 Battle Report

This year, Moskurg worked year-round to design their new Model 4 Yellowjacket, a fighter with a lot of machine guns that goes fast and turns faster than other planes currently in the air. Like the current Arstotzkan aircraft, it still has no turbo. Arstotzka introduced their first telescopic sight, the AS-O30, which is very similar to the Moskurg one, in that it's expensive, not adjustable, has iffy quality and needs to be custom fitted. Arstotzka also revised their AS-MC16 SMG. The new AS-MC16A "Andres" includes a rear and fore grip which makes the weapon much easier to handle, an action which is cheaper without sacrificing functionality, and an optional 54-round magazine consisting of two drums which makes the gun look like a, well, you know. Arstotzka also began using Tiger's Whisper style encrypted messages. Their favored technique is to encrypt the message twice with different key cards.

This year, Moskurg spends their Expense Credit on the T2 Breaker. It is now Expensive.

Agent Sandworm tries to get into Arstotzka's harbor along with this year's wave of tourists, but first forgets to bring an entry permit in addition to her passport. Agent Promised Crucible spent the year tricking Agent Sandworm into believing she needed things like entry permits, which are not currently used at Arstotzkan entry checkpoints at all, which allowed her to be identified, but elaborate plans for her demise involving sharks and hand grenades backfired harmlessly.

Agent Sandworm then devised an elaborate plan for securing Tiger's Whisper messages: Run them through the machine three times. Arstotzkan cryptologists are baffled. This means that this year, both sides have secure communications, except in the occasional instances in which code key cards and schedules are stolen.

The war in the air is upset by the introduction of Moskurg's Model 4 Yellowjacket. It can outrun, out-climb and out-turn the AS-HF-24, so it usually wins in dogfights. It has ample firepower with its six M3 Sorraia machine guns, but these do have less accuracy at range than the Arstotzkan AC-18, due to their use of smaller rounds. They are also good for strafing soft ground targets, but cannot harm AS-MV21's or tanks. The AS-DB-HF-23 is a better bomber than the Model 2 Hornet, due to its better speed and maneuverability with a similar payload, so although less Arstotzkan bombers get through to attack ground targets, they get more kills. They are also better at evading ground-to-air fire. Overall, air performance is similar between the two nations.

In the jungle, Arstotzka deploys their new AS-MC16A. Troops love it. Its ease of handling and optional larger magazine are enough to give Arstotzkan soldiers parity with fierce Moskurg ones in close range fighting. Close range fights for both sides are now a constant chatter of SMG fire punctuated by explosions. The majority of those explosions are Arstotzkan hand grenades and mortar fire. Moskurg squads use the Rhino to deploy anti-infantry explosives at a greater range with direct fire than throw grenades, but mostly refuse to use the Hippo, which often malfunctions in the moist jungle. Arstotzka's scoped rifles see some use, more than Moskurg's, because Arstotzkan officers who chose a scoped rifle are well-camouflaged and skilled. The Nosin is naturally well-suited to use as a sniper rifle, but most engagements in the jungle are within range of an unscoped rifle or M3 Sorraia. Arstotzkan troops rely on their rifles, Nosins and F14s, for medium range combat, and when forced into close combat usually have to draw their AS-1909 when they haven't got time to reload their rifle. It is said, "The AS-1909 will fire, but never when you really need it to." Arstotzkan soldiers do prefer the F14 with its large-ish box magazine for this reason. Moskurg's increased production in T2 Breakers shows here, as they push on the roads. A typical T2 fights comparably to a T25 at this range, but they are better supported by infantry, the AS-RPG28 will often detonate prematurely on slatted armor, or be deflected. Nobody gains ground this year. (Moskurg 3/4)

In the mountains, most soldiers are armed with rifles or light machine guns. Officers almost always choose sniper rifles, although a few bring a radio and use it to spread orders from high command. Arstotzkan officers with AS-O30 equipped Nosin Magants are deadly, despite the questionable quality of the scope. They noticeably outperform Moskurg snipers, and can sometimes stop an entire Moskurg squad before their M3 Sorraia gunner or sniper officer (always shoot the silver cape first!) can spot their target and return fire. Moskurg prisoners digging in Arstotzka's salt mines have their hopes of being liberated dashed, as they cease to hear gunfire outside. Arstotzka gains ground (2/4).

In the desert, Arstotzkan soldiers march into the streets of Moskurg's eastern cities. T25's roll down the streets, engaging T2 Breakers in sudden fights around corners, and Moskurg soldiers scramble with Hippos (they're desperate enough, and the Hippo is mobile, though its use causes casualties) through buildings for a vantage point to ambush tanks. Because of the backblast, they are usually fired off of roofs or in front of balcony doorways, which makes them targets for snipers. Fighting down streets and from building to building is fierce for infantry, Arstotzkans benefit from better-handling SMGs here, and they use hand grenades to clear rooms, and often cover their flanks with mines. Moskurg benefits somewhat from their sidearms, the 5-shot revolver and sawed-off shotgun, though these lack ammo capacity. Moskurg officers will often exhaust their main weapon's magazine, exhaust their sidearm, and then draw their sword. In general, automatic weapons are favored over rifles, especially by Moskurg.  The MK-47 sees use, as does the M3 Sorraia and AS-1924. Moskurg soldiers still use horses to navigate rubble-filled streets. Forces on both sides are subject to bombing, which targets tanks and soldiers well-emplaced in buildings. Both sides use smoke to make close approaches where enemies have machine guns emplaced, and Arstotzka uses flares to make moves at night in places of their choosing. Artillery fires 24/7, and Moskurg benefits from the range and power of their B2 Destroyer. Arstotzka's AS-MV21 makes a good vehicle for attacking infantry, as it can move quickly to avoid attack from recoilless rifles, but its use is disfavored, as is that of Arstotzka's motorcycles, due to the fact that wheeled vehicles often cannot navigate rubble-laden streets easily. Fighting is intense in the city, but neither side gains ground. (Arstotzka 3/4)

Patent the AS-MC16A. Main benefit over the Cascade is that you can shoulder it without wanting to puke from the smell of the Moskurg worker that assembled it. It's also all-around better.
Patent denied, too similar to the Moskurg-manufactured Cascade.

You may now begin designing for 1931. Also, I can't find it, but I'm pretty sure Sheb asked if he could do some Forenia-themed other forum game. My answer is yes, and yes in general: Forenia belongs to Bay 12. In general, I approve of whatever other Arms Race type game people want to do in a different setting, or other type of game in this setting.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:09:02 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 17, 2015, 05:07:28 am »

1930 Army Status
It's happened, it's more than 40,000 characters. I can probably trim it down a lot, but I'll do that later. For now, we're looking at the dawn of three-post turn announcements.

Arstotzka's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:07:51 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 17, 2015, 05:07:56 am »

Moskurg's army now contains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:08:38 am by Sensei »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1421 on: August 17, 2015, 05:15:31 am »

Patent EVERYTHING (except the SMG) to stop this shit from happening again.
EDIT:
Mosly our unique radio.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 17, 2015, 05:16:11 am »

Sensei, sorry to pester you again, but is the autocannon the reason our all-aluminium fighter is more expensive in ore than Moskurg's, or did they roll better? Just trying to get a feel for what are the likely cost when designing.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: August 17, 2015, 05:19:01 am »

Sensei, sorry to pester you again, but is the autocannon the reason our all-aluminium fighter is more expensive in ore than Moskurg's, or did they roll better? Just trying to get a feel for what are the likely cost when designing.
They just rolled nice. The six machineguns about equal your two autocannons.

Edit:
Patent EVERYTHING (except the SMG) to stop this shit from happening again.
EDIT:
Mosly our unique radio.
International patent offices are flooded with a wave of heavily censored Arstotzkan military technology documents. You don't hear back from the patent office quickly due to the enormous volume of paper.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:23:04 am by Sensei »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 17, 2015, 05:39:40 am »

The resources are wrong. Rebels aren't blowing up Moskurg and we're getting Chinese Ore.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 159